Meet the pack

Hero's Soup
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Meet the pack

Jeongin was barely keeping up with the sprint-run chase happening at that moment. He almost tripped twice, okay, at least 5 times. Don’t laugh. 

Seungmin was mumbling incoherent words as he dragged him across town. Jeongin was certain that the guy was probably just cursing at Chan. 

Seungmin suddenly stopped in his tracks, bringing Jeongin to bump against his broad back.

Jeongin held his injured nose trying his best to muffle his pain. He was left confused as to why Seungmin stopped. Swallowing the heavy lump on his throat, he managed to squeak out  “Why?” in the most pathetic tone.

Seungmin didn’t answer him. “Huh, I lost them-wait… Never mind.” said the witch with an empty and condescending tone. He didn't hear him. Jeongin was glad and disappointed at the same time.

They continued walking, or sprinting. I don’t know.

After walking AND sprinting for god knows how long, they arrive at a secluded area. Jeongin remembered the words his mom said about this place. Being the good kid, he is, he stopped. Pulling Seungmin back. The witch looked at him through his brows.

"What?"

Jeongin clenched his free hand behind his back. "We can't go there."

Seungmin looked at him with empty yet curious eyes. "And why not?" Jeongin shrugged. Making the witch more confused.

"Mum used to warn me about that area. It's a dangerous place."

"What are you? 10?"

"No. I'm 17." Seungmin put up a silencing hand. Letting him know he was not interested and was being sarcastic.

“You know what? Just go home. We can deal with this later. Here's my number. Call me tomorrow around 8 to 9 in the morning.” Seungmin waved his hand lazily and dismissed him.

Removing his hold on his wrist, the witch turned around and started walking away. Jeongin was dumbfounded. He wanted to follow him but at the same time, he was scared to do so. He looked behind him, no one was there. He looked in front of him, Seungmin just turned to the narrow corner. 

As of instinct, he sprinted towards the witch’s last location. Grasping his shirt. Seungmin gazes back at the boy.

His stern face softened at the sight. Jeongin was clearly shaken by the previous and upcoming scenarios. He was just a kid, a normal human kid up until earlier where he witnessed so much at the same time. Seungmin let out another sigh and held the boy’s hand, making him look up to him. “Come on.” and with that, they journeyed towards the wolf and the vampire’s location.

They were walking in silence. Jeongin was barely keeping up as his strength slowly deteriorated. After what happened, he was mentally and physically exhausted. But he wanted to come with Seungmin. He has something he has to do.

“I want to apologize to Chan.” Seungmin stopped and turned to him. He was clearly surprised by the boy’s request. “I’m sorry, what?” as if hearing it wrong, Seungmin made sure he wasn't hearing things. But he was welcomed by a determined face. Seungmin tried his best not to smile. 

However, it was no laughing matter. Seungmin knew who Chan was and what he was capable of. He has seen the man lose his sanity once and boy, did he want to kill himself after witnessing it.

Grabbing Jeongin’s other hand he warned, “Jeongin, you can still forget about everything that happened today.”' It was a vague answer, but the younger one knew what Seungmin meant. He didn’t want him to get involved with these kinds of stuff. And to be honest, neither did Jeongin. What happened earlier was the scariest thing ever. But he also convinced himself that half of it was his fault.

Jeongin stared right through the witch’s brown orbs. “I don’t want to. I want to say sorry to Chan and to you too. I've been with him only for a short time but every time I look in his eyes I can't see a hint of emotion at all. I always wondered why he was like that, I wanted to know him more. I want to help him.” Seungmin was in awe. The boy eyed Seungmin until he broke into a small smile. Jeongin returned it with the biggest one he could come up with, displaying his braces in full view of the latter.

Seungmin knew he lost this battle. So, they started walking again, with the rest of the awkward air vanishing as they went further into the abandoned roads.

The buildings grew thinner and eventually, they were surrounded by thick trees and tall grasses. Seungmin spotted Woojin and Chan whispering at the distance, he sauntered towards the two, leaving Jeongin behind as the boy drank up the last remaining drops of his water.

Woojin easily spotted the two and waved at them. Chan, who found out about their presence 5 minutes ago, did not even bother to greet them. He was focused on what was happening. “Jisung is in there alone? Is he wounded?” Woojin shakes his head. “But I can detect a faint smell of his scent. It’s mixed with a bit of blood.” Chan took a sharp intake of breath, balling his fists as he eyed the warehouse.

“Chan, what the hell is happening?” The vampire did not respond and was lost in thought. Woojin turned to Seungmin and gave him a small smile as he wiped his hand on his pants, reaching out to the witch afterward. 

“I’m sorry, I didn’t get to introduce myself. I’m Woojin.” The wolf felt at ease around the witch, even though he had bad experiences with some of them in the past. Seungmin was a good person, he can tell, and he can also tell he has a bit of an attitude, the thought made him laugh inside his head. Seungmin accepted the pleasantries so as not to be perceived as someone who’s rude.

Woojin tilted his head and looked beyond Seungmin. Jeongin popped up from Seungmin’s side, and he gave Woojin a small bow. The older man smiled at the boy, “You must be Jeongin, right? Chan told me about-” Chan suddenly grabs hold of them and pushes them onto the ground.

“Someone’s patrolling, keep quiet.” Woojin put his huge hand behind Jeongin’s back making the boy look at him. He gave him a smile and mouthed the words, “It’s okay. I’ll protect you.” Jeongin couldn’t help but smile.

They sat on the itchy grass for about 5 minutes, and relaxed when Chan signaled them that the guard was gone. A figure lurked behind Jeongin, alarming Seungmin. He was about to attack when Woojin stopped him. “A friend.” The figure slowly moved towards Woojin's side; his handsome face was full of worry too. He scanned through the unfamiliar faces and gaze lingering at Jeongin. Aware of the boy’s identity, he smiled unconsciously. “This is Hyunjin, he’s the beta.” Hyunjin was not that fond of humans, he perceived them as lower beings who take nature for granted. But this particular human being was somewhat special. And the way Chan talks about him, he was indeed special.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter