Prologue/Heejin I

Spirits in Unison

🌙 🌙 🌙 🌙 🌙 🌙 🌙 🌙 🌙 🌙 🌙 🌙

 

 

Prologue

 

 

In the middle of an old, abandoned temple stood a stone pillar. It stretched to endless heights, still sturdy and unmoving despite the dust and spider webs living on its cold surface.

In the pillar there lived large statues of animals. Four statues stood side by side at the base, four in the middle section, and four more at the top. They were dormant.

It was a regular night when it awoke. The first statue. The rabbit statue. The moon was whole that night.

As if yawning and stretching out its arms, its eyes began to glow once more and the dust left its body. For a while, it simply stood there, its eyes glowing. No one took any notice. There wasn't a soul in that place, at least, not a human soul.

In the rabbit's cupped hands, there appeared an orb. A silver sphere without a scratch. The light left the eyes of the rabbit and traveled into the orb.

The orb mirrored the moon's beauty. The rabbit spirit was home once again.

Like a newborn baby, the spirit cried out into the world. If any humans had been there that night, none of them would've been able to hear this joyful cry. The sound was meant only for the ear of kindred spirits.

A group of white haired rabbits scurried into the temple and hurried over to the statue. There was a small entrance made for them long ago, when the place first came into being. The lead rabbit made its way into the hole and exited through another hole in the wrists of the statue. The rabbit went to the opposite side of the orb and nudged it into the hole, sending it rolling down to the other rabbits.

With their combined strength, they put the orb on all of their backs and made their way out of the temple.

The forest cried tears of joy.

🌙 🌙 🌙 🌙 🌙 🌙 🌙 🌙 🌙 🌙 🌙 🌙

 

 

Heejin I

Exodus Under a Tree

 

 

Heejin sat alongside the other students, all of her attention on the paper in front of her. That whole morning she had carefully picked out what she was going to wear for the day. It was one of her better looking dresses, not quite fit for the biggest ceremonies but it would suit that occasion just fine. Her hair flowed down to her shoulders and her part was topped by a Cheopji (hair pin). Paranoia stared back at her from the other side of the page. She knew if she didn't dress well for the occasion, the gods wouldn't look favorably on her. That's what her mother had been telling her for the past month. She should have really taken her advice more seriously.

The question was really doing a number on her. How long had the feather pen been dipped in ink? She inhaled deeply and let out a hefty breath from her anxious soul.

"Calm down," she told herself, "I know I studied this... I just have to remember what..."

With the utmost caution, she took a peek over to her right. Both of their eyes met, they smirked. Should have figured, Hyunjin was probably having just as much trouble on her exam as she was. Hyunjin was wearing an even fancier silk dress with long sleeves. Oh, the perks of being a richer woman's step daughter (even if they had probably forced her to wear it).

Heejin took another look up at the teacher who was busy scribbling who-knows-what on his scroll. It seemed as though his interest was attracted more towards his own writing than the wellbeing of his students. She had always had that suspicion, but the predicament she was in made it more apparent. He was some know-it-all aristocrat appointed by one of the nine queens who was just using this job as an opportunity to get an even better one in a couple of years, or even sooner if it was possible.

She shook those wandering thoughts from her mind. There was no use in blaming others or blaming her clothing. The burden was on her shoulders. She knew very well she could do this, like all the other times before. Heejin finally took the pen out from the ink and began writing.

🌙 🌙 🌙 🌙 🌙 🌙 🌙 🌙 🌙 🌙 🌙 🌙

After the exam, the whole school gathered together in the courtyard for the ceremony. The students were separated into male and female sides. It was a beautiful day, a perfect contrast to Heejin's current mood. She could feel her stomach aching from the nerves... or maybe it was the fact that she had barely touched her food that morning. Either way, she was eager to find out just how well she did. Not only that, she was eager to find out just how well Hyunjin had done.

A hand touched hers.

Hyunjin sat down next to her on one of the benches in front. "How are you holding up?"

"I feel like I'm about to tip over and smack my face on the floor, how about you?"

Hyunjin giggled and squeezed her hand tighter, as if to emphasize what she was about to say. "Try not to worry too much, okay? How many times have you been through this?"

"A lot."

"And how many times were you one of the best in the school?"

"A lot."

"Exactly. So calm down and practice that pretty smile."

Heejin nodded, exhaling and slowing down her breathing a bit. Hyunjin bit down on some bread and handed the rest over to her.

Heejin shook her head. "No thank— wait, where did you even get that?" She spun her head around, making sure there weren't any teachers looking.

"I have my connections, that's all you need to know." She swallowed the bread quickly and stuffed the rest somewhere down her dress. "Why did you even sit this close to the front anyway?"

Heejin shrugged. "I figured the quicker I get up on stage, the more time I'll have to take in the applause."

Hyunjin just smiled and shook her head as everyone directed their attention to the principal of the school. He was a middle-aged man with a long beard and a back like a horseshoe.

"Good afternoon everyone. I'd like to congratulate all of you on completing the examinations, I am told that the scores were the highest in the history of the school..."

This was surely a good sign right?

"...At least among the seniors. The rest of you still have room to improve I suppose."

Heejin curled her toes up. Unease peeked its head back in to point and laugh at her unfound sense of solace.

"Well..." he continued, "let's proceed shall we?"

Male and female teachers rose from their seats behind him and stood tall overlooking their respective sides. This was it. The teachers would call the name of every student with a passing score and make said score be heard to the entire school. As was tradition, the male side had a name called first, then they alternated until the last person was called. The seniors went first. Heejin and Hyunjin were right below them.

The seniors were called up one by one and, just as the principal had said, that year's scores where eye-opening. When Heejin knew they were up next, she instinctively grasped Hyunjin's hand again, bracing for impact.

"Jeon Heejin." The lady teacher called.

Heejin let go of her friend's hand and stood up straight, slight relief coloring her face.

"Ninety-seven out of one hundred."

Heejin's hands almost went up in the air in celebration as the applause roared around her. She looked down at Hyunjin who was already hugging her. She heard some snickering from the students but she didn't care. She wiggled out of Hyunjin's clutches and proudly walked up on stage to receive her certificate. She looked down at it and tried to pick up whatever was left of her brain after it was destroyed by that number. Ninety-seven. That was up there with the highest in the entire school, probably the highest in her grade.

Just as she had said, Heejin stood there and basked in her glory. She really should have worn something fancier. Maybe she could have received a perfect score.

After the applause was done, she returned to her seat, greeted by Hyunjin's wide smile.

"Okay, now it's your turn," Heejin said as they clapped for another student, "I promise not to embarrass you like you just did to me."

"You're embarrassed to get a hug from your best friend after that?"

She had a point. "Okay but I'll make it a quick one."

The names alternated a couple more times before the female instructor stood up again to call out a name. Unless some mysterious student had secretly transferred, it was Hyunjin's turn.

"Kim Sejeong. Ninety-six out of one hundred."

What!?

She didn't even want to look at Hyunjin, she couldn't imagine the horror that must've gone through... oh, she's clapping. And smiling. This had to be some kind of coping mechanism.

"Are you okay?" Heejin asked her.

"Yes." Hyunjin looked a bit confused. "Why wouldn't I be okay? The girl just got the second highest score in our grade."

"Well you— uh..."

"I'll just have to do better next time. It's not like this holds me back a grade or anything." Hyunjin took the opportunity while everyone was clapping to reach down into her dress and finish the bread she had stored.

All Heejin could do shake her head and respectfully join in the applause.

🌙 🌙 🌙 🌙 🌙 🌙 🌙 🌙 🌙 🌙 🌙 🌙

To celebrate Heejin's high exam score, her parents threw her a quick celebration get-together. They invited their friends, including Hyunjin's family, over for dinner. The day remained warm as they all sat outside under the brightening evening moonlight.

Heejin and Hyunjin's families shared a table.

"So how did you do it?" One of Hyunjin's mothers, Naeun, asked. "The Gods really blessed you with a great mind, you must be very thankful."

"Yes, thank you." Heejin took a quick peek at Hyunjin who was sitting directly across from her. "I actually owe a lot to Hyunjin. She really gave me support and helped me whenever I needed it."

"Yeah," Hyunjin's other mother, Seolhyun, began, "it's just too bad she couldn't use any of that help on herself."

"I only missed passing by two points." Hyunjin's words were muffled a bit with the food in .

"Hyunjin, please don't speak with you mouth full." Naeun gave her daughter a look of disappointment. "Chew first, then swallow, then talk. One at a time."

Hyunjin's face dipped a bit as she swallowed. "I know how to eat mother, you don't have to explain it to me."

Flying in to break the tension, Heejin's mother spoke up. "Well we're all very proud of you sweetie. I'd like to think your father and I had a little something to do with your success don't you?"

Oh brother. Heejin loved her mother as much as any daughter could and she would do anything for her... but that thorn being stuck in her side was more than a little annoying. This was a more recent thing, ever since Heejin began having more and more success in school her parents would rush at the opportunity to give themselves just a little bit of credit. Sometimes the congratulations came after.

"Yes of course." Heejin buried the thought as deep as she could and smiled. These people needed to see them in the best light. "My mother taught me everything I know about studying and going through school. She also picked out the clothes I wore today."

"Well I guess we know the answer to your little secret now," Seolhyun laughed.

Heejin pushed out a laugh of her own and gave Hyunjin another look. This time it was returned with one that said, "we need to talk."

The time to talk came after everyone had finished their dinner and separated off into their own little groups to mingle. Heejin's parents had used up all of the room they had available to invite their own friends over so the only friend of Heejin's that was invited was the one with the richest parents. They sat under a sturdy oak tree, away from any unwelcome ears.

"Are you okay?" Heejin began with a question she already knew the answer to.

"What do you think?" Hyunjin took a moment to look around the place. "I don't like it when I'm made to feel like a baby. Just because my scores aren't as high as yours doesn't mean they should treat me like that in front of everyone. Sometimes I think they wish they had adopted you somehow."

"Don't say that. Sometimes people just have a bad day, it doesn't mean—"

Hyunjin cut her off, "I don't think you get it, Heejin."

Heejin raised an eyebrow. "What do you mean?"

"I mean... do you really think I couldn't pass the exams if I wanted to?"

Oh no. Heejin hoped she wasn't saying what she thought she was saying. "... you didn't study?"

Hyunjin turned away but Heejin took her by the chin and turned her head back in the other direction, looking her directly in the eyes.

"I don't..." Hyunjin took a big breath, as if collecting her thoughts. "I don't want to."

Heejin was beyond bewildered. "W-Why? I don't understand."

"I don't know, maybe I was hoping that my parents would show me that they actually care about me beyond some numbers on a paper, or graduating and getting married to some rich guy that they'll pick out for me."

Hyunjin had never really had a bubbling relationship with her parents but this was something else. These word were... purposefully sabotaging your exam scores? That could get someone disowned. Is that what she wanted?

Heejin took her hands. "Look at me. Listen. What is it that you want to do? Because I don't want you throwing your life away for some... vague idea of—"

"Well maybe I do want to throw this life away." Hyunjin put a hand to as a tear came trickling down her cheek. "Ever since I was adopted, all I have ever been is another girl trying to appease her parents. In school, with their friends, anywhere. It doesn't matter. I can't even remember the last time I dressed myself. I'm afraid to even eat too much because I might get something on my clothes and gods know we can't have that happening. What's the point of doing all of this if it doesn't make me happy?"

That question really stumped her; it stumped her more than any she had seen on the most difficult of exams, but she found an answer once again. "It's about sacrifice. Even if you don't like it, sometimes you have to do these things to have a better life in the future. Like it or not, it's the only way to get anywhere in this world. You've been given a better life than you had before, I don't want to see you waste it. Please, let me help you. Don't do it for them, do it for you. Do it for me."

"I..." Hyunjin wiped off some more tears that had welled up. "I think you're the only reason I haven't gone completely insane." She looked up at the moon. "I wish someone would come along and whisk me away to... some place with little gingerbread girls where I could frolic in the forest and not have to worry about anything."

Heejin smiled. "You would leave me for bread wouldn't you?"

Hyunjin just gave her a sideways look. "Who says I would leave without you?" 

The two embraced in a tight hug. Heejin squeezed her hard, even grimacing, as if that would somehow force all of the pain and sorrow Hyunjin had been through out of her. All she wanted was for her to smile without having to wonder if she was hiding anything underneath. Heejin could never begin to understand her situation, but she would be damned if she didn't do her best to help.

"I don't ever want you to leave," Heejin said, still hugging tight, "Tomorrow morning I'll meet you in the library. I'm going to tutor you, it'll be much more fun memorizing these things with me, okay? After that we'll go down to the river for a while... or wherever you want."

Hyunjin pulled away and gave her a pair of puppy dog eyes. "Can we go to the moon?"

Heejin smiled. "Only if you pass your exams."

🌙 🌙 🌙 🌙 🌙 🌙 🌙 🌙 🌙 🌙 🌙 🌙

It had gotten pretty late into the night when the last of the guests left the Jeon residence. Heejin and her mother were cleaning up the plates and food that was left over.

"So what were you and Hyunjin talking about sweetie?"

"Nothing much; just some school stuff. I'm actually going to start tutoring her starting tomorrow."

"Well, you're good friend." Her mother walked over with plates in her hands and smiled. "Listen, I know I may get a little... enthusiastic when we have friends over but I hope you know we do it for a good reason."

Heejin nodded. "I understand. You have to do what's best for the family just like I do."

"Just like we all do. I don't want you to forget that, Heejin. You're at an age in your life where things are changing and they're going to start changing fast. You're a beautiful young lady with so much potential. I just don't want you to let that go to your head."

Ah, the classic mother pep talk. Heejin had wondered where in the month it would happen.

Her mother continued. "I want you to stay humble, keep working hard, and whatever you do don't go chasing love with some no good chump."

She laughed. "I promise I won't do that."

"Yeah, you're right. I know you would never break Hyunjin's heart like that."

Heejin's eyes widened a little and she felt a little warmth rush to her cheeks. "What do you mean?"

"Oh I don't know," her mother teased, "just watch out for that girl, it's all I'm saying."

"It's not like that," Heejin argued, "you know we're just friends."

"Not like that for you maybe."

Before Heejin could utter another word, her mother turned around and headed back inside before coming back and leaving a bouquet of flowers on the table. "Go talk with your grandfather, I don't want you ignoring him today."

Heejin nodded and continued cleaning up the tables as she got lost in the thought her mother had placed in her mind. She was obviously just pulling her leg. Hyunjin had told her many times of the boys she had had a crush on, although they never did amount to anything more than that. They never approached her and shyness always got the best of her when it came to boys for some reason. She could never summon the strength to go further than a quick hello or an awkward wave.

Heejin finished cleaning off the tables and made her way down the slope of the hill with the flowers, into the trees. It had been a while since she had talked with her grandfather, an unfortunate result of her focusing more on her studies, but she was sure he would understand. Ever since he moved out here all those years ago, she would come visit him. He lived under the brittle branches of an old tree, under the soft grass and sturdy soil of a nice little garden they had carved out for him. Heejin took shelter in the fact that he was probably comfortable and no longer in pain, even if she couldn't see his face anymore.

She took a rag and wiped away the bugs that had gathered on his tombstone, shaking her head. She wished they had more money so they could've bought him a better resting place. She smiled, he probably would rise from the grave and nag them about daring to spend any money on such useless things. "Hello grandpa, how have you been?"

A warm breeze blew by before she continued. "I've been well. I finally took the exam and you'll never guess what I scored... a ninety-seven. Isn't that great? I wish you could've seen it."

Heejin leaned down and rested the flowers on his tombstone. "I wore the hair pin you gave me for good luck. I've been wearing it to every exam since I was a little kid... just like you told me."

She froze for a moment, mulling her next words over. "Do you remember Hyunjin? You would never be able to tell but she's been going through a rough time. It's like she's stuck in this weird place where she doesn't have the motivation to really apply herself. I've never really thought about it but now that I am... don't we really just spend all of our lives doing school work and raising children? And trying to make the people above us like us a little more?"

She sighed. It was like she was riding a horse down an unexplored path that was always there just waiting for her. "Grandpa, how many years of your life did you spend doing what you really wanted and not following what you were told to? It seems like the only little bit of time where that happened for me was... well, I don't really know I guess. Maybe when I was a little kid... I wish I could go back there, even if it's just to spend a little time with you again."

There was a hollowed silence surrounding her at that moment. The wind whispered sweet nostalgia in her ear as a small light appeared on the ground among the trees.

Heejin squinted at it for a bit. "Hello? Is someone there?"

There was no answer. The light only grew bigger as it came closer and closer to her. She began to back up, then stopped when she saw what it was. A group of rabbits carrying a silver orb on their backs ran up to her and stopped.

The light coming from the orb was something Heejin could not look away from. It hooked all of her, especially the soul of the small child inside her.

There was an engraving of a crescent moon on the orb. Heejin couldn't say or do anything except stare. It was calling to her. She reached down and softly put her fingers on the orb.

What Heejin experienced next could only be described as a meeting between everything that made her human and a new energy. She felt entire body glow as she took the orb into her hands, agape. Her breathing became slower until she felt as though she didn't need to breathe; she didn't need to see. All of her sensations and emotions became one and embraced the new energy with open arms.

For that moment, the world was a vivid painting of colors she had never seen before. Then, everything became colorless.

🌙 🌙 🌙 🌙 🌙 🌙 🌙 🌙 🌙 🌙 🌙 🌙