Chapter

Fuzzy Blue Lights

“Thump Thump”

Hearing the knock on his door Baekhyun groaned into his pillow burrowing himself in his soft,warm blanket.

After the whole miserable week of college,he was too wiped from his biology midterm he chose to be bone-idle lazy on the weekend, but obviously someone had to interrupt his much needed sleep. 

“Thump Thump”

Baekhyun mentally cursed at whoever was at the door.

Removing his heap of blanket he trudged towards the living room rubbing the remaining  sleep from his eyes.

Stifling a yawn he opened the door, his forehead automatically furrowed seeing his neighbor standing with a cheesy smile on his face.

“Hey” his neighbor sounded overly happy and it was just annoying.

“What is it Park?” Baekhyun shot back without acknowledging him. 

Chanyeol somehow didn’t seem to mind his crankiness he replied cheerily, “Good morning”

“Did you come all the way to wish me good morning because I was sleeping peacefully” Baekhyun scowled at him. Well he definitely wasn’t a morning person. 

“Ohh you were sleeping, am so sorry” Chanyeol mumbled apologetically eyeing his messy hair which was probably sticking out from all directions, not that Baekhyun cared.

“It’s sunday i refuse to wake up before its afternoon...anyway why are you here?” Baekhyun wasn’t exactly friends with his neighbor and he specifically ignored this particular tall one, he wasn’t sure why though it was something he has been doing without any reason. 

“Umm I need some sugar” Chanyeol said hesitatingly his lips.

Isn’t this the most cliched excuse out of the book? Baekhyun thought only in silly romantic movies lame people run out of sugar or coffee and disturb their neighbors because in reality there are departmental stores just round the block.

“Really ?” Baekhyun asked looking surprised, arching his eyebrows.

“Yahh i really need some” Chanyeol flashed a shy smile.

Sighing Baekhyun nodded, “Fine you can come in, il bring you some sugar” he couldn’t just let him stand outside, Baekhyun might not be very social but he isn’t rude.

Showing Chanyeol his messy couch, which he has been procrastinating to clean for the past week but hasn’t gotten around he walks towards his small kitchen.

Chanyeol sat on the couch and felt something poking his , he immediately stood up to find a stray pen cap without the pen. He gingerly picked it up and kept on the coffee table which was equally littered with chocolate wrappers, papers and other stuff.

Chanyeol slightly wrinkled his nose shoving the things off the couch to one side so he doesn’t mistakenly sit on something else.

“Here” Baekhyun handed him a small cup.

“Thank you” Chanyeol replied taking it, he opened his mouth to say something then closed it abruptly. 

“Yah I gave you the sugar”  which was the code for you need to leave now

“Baekhyun I need another help” Chanyeol began with anxiousness written all over his face.

This is why they say don’t let your neighbors in because they just won’t leave.

“What?” Baekhyun gritted his teeth.

“I..I needafakeboyfriend” Chanyeol blurted out too fast almost inaudible and incoherent that Baekhyun fails to understand any of it.

“Speak in a language I understand” Baekhyun ordered. 

Chanyeol cleared his throat, “ I need a umm fake boyfriend” he finally said after a long pause.

“Do you think I keep that along with my jar of sugar? Is this some sort of prank?” Baekhyun snapped his face contorted with annoyance.

“No no, I am serious I need your help...Can you be be my fake boyfriend” Chanyeol protested weakly eyes darting everywhere.

“Wait, did you just ask me to be your fake boyfriend or am I imagining things because I swear i didn’t smoke any weed” Baekhyun eyed him with the most incredulous expression.

“Yah you heard me right, I am in dire need of your help Baekhyun-“

Before Chanyeol could finish Baekhyun stopped him raising his hand, “let me just pretend that you didn’t ask that and can you like leave, I need to sleep this weird morning off” Baekhyun said shaking his head still not being able to digest what is happening.

“Please listen to me, my best friend keeps setting me up with these weird people, I swear he arranged this blind date who asked me to marry him the first time we kept and kept crying when I said no, it’s just bizarre. Jongin won’t stop until he sees me with someone” Chanyeol huffed a little as he finished his rant. 

“So just because you have a bestie who loves playing Cupid I have to be your fake boyfriend, sorry but I refuse to be a victim of this absurdity” Baekhyun crossed  his arms over chest, jaw hardening.

“I can’t really ask anyone else he is friends with almost everyone I know, but he doesn’t know you” Chanyeol bites his lower lip glancing at him.

“I could be straight or I could be in a relationship”

Chanyeol suppressed a smile,“Yah you are as  straight as a circle and I know you are single, have been since I have moved in next door” Chanyeol offers politely.

So maybe Baekhyun’s love life has been dull but he doesn’t need to be reminded, that too from him.

Baekhyun scoffed, “ I choose to be single it’s different I enjoy living my life on my own rules”

“Yah me too, and that is why I don’t want to date like for real, but Jongin is super persistent I need get him off my , you are my last resort” Chanyeol pleaded.

Heaving a deep sigh Baekhyun sat on the opposite chair pulling it closer but not very close keeping a respectable distance. 

“What is the point of having a fake boyfriend?”

“If he sees me with someone then he will stop with the” Chanyeol adds airquotes “Find a date for Chanyeol agenda, we will pretend for a week or two... that’s all” he looks at Baekhyun with eyes widening in hope.

“And what happens after a week or two?” Baekhyun questions with a cynical tone.

“We break up of course, then i can tell him that I need time to get over you so obviously I can’t date others, you see I have figured out everything” Chanyeol spread his hands in the air as if giving a presentation, Baekhyun rolled his eyes at the dramatics. 

“And what do I get out of this?”

“You get to help me and be the bigger person” Chanyeol bargained with a beaming smile. 

“You must be joking”

Chanyeol slumped low on the couch dejectedly, he literally looked like a kicked puppy

Baekhyun felt a bit sorry for the other he contemplated the situation weighing the pros and cons, “But you aren’t my type”

“Am everyone’s type” Chanyeol sat up looking slightly offended.

Baekhyun chortled mockingly “Yah sure if everyone’s ideal type is yoda you fit right there”

Chanyeol’s mouth hung open probably feeling insulted, but he doesn’t say anything, he gulps and then retorts “Just because I need your help il let that one go”

“Umm so considerate” Baekhyun replied in a honeyed voice, so when do we have start this drama?” He tapped his fingers on the coffee table.

Chanyeol’s face immediately lightened up forgetting being insulted just a minute ago, “So you will do it?”

“What can I say am charitable like that “ Baekhyun puckered his lips concentrating on his nails suddenly.

“Oh my god thank you Baekhyun” Chanyeol gushed happily, “you are the best”

Baekhyun hummed in response. It might give him a distraction from his otherwise mundane life, also he could brag to his friends who have this wrong notion that his neighbor is hot, obviously Baekhyun had to laugh because Chanyeol is anything but hot maybe cute in a clumsy way not that he will tell him.

“We have plans to meet up this Saturday evening, so maybe I can introduce you there..”

“So what do I have to do there?”

“Pretend that you like me” Chanyeol smiled weakly.

“Fine I can try but I don’t know much about you other than the fact that you belong to those abnormal category of people who eat pineapple on their pizza” Baekhyun shuddered just thinking about it, he had seen that atrocious thing being delivered to Chanyeol’s apartment once.

“Hey it’s not that bad, I am sure you have never even tried” Chanyeol objected flipping his hands.

“Eww, please don’t give me more reasons to dislike you”

“Baekhyun you listen to nickleback I don’t think you should judge people” Chanyeol added sarcastically.

“First of all that has got nothing to do with you ruining pizzas with pineapple, and it was one time it came on my iTunes playlist and the volume was increased somehow, also they are not that bad” Baekhyun replied defensively, he knew his excuses were weak but he still tried. 

“Sorry to break it to you but like no one listens to nickleback anymore “ Chanyeol snorted 

“Are you here to criticise my taste in music or to need my help being your only saviour from your best friend’s wrath?” Baekhyun quirked his lips in a way that was supposed to look intimidating but right now in his teddy bear print pyjamas and mussed hair he failed to give the right vibe.

Chanyeol nodded with a soft smile, “so maybe we could keep aside our differences and discuss about our likes and dislikes etc a little so we don’t look completely clueless, how about that?”

“Fine” Baekhyun leaned back on his chair groaning slightly, his Sunday morning is already ruined now he has to learn about a guy who isn’t even his boyfriend. Life isn’t fair.

            

                   ▔▔▔▔▔▔▿▔▔▔▔▔▔

 

“So erm be a little nice”

That is the first thing that Chanyeol said as they reached to the place where he is supposed to break the news of his fake relationship.

“I am nice” Baekhyun declared nudging him harshly with his elbow.

“Ow” Chanyeol winced rubbing his arm, “that’s not something boyfriend’s do...can you be a little gentle”

“Whatever” Baekhyun ran his fingers through his blonde hair fixing it, “Be glad am doing this favour for free” He almost wanted to pat his own back for being so selfless.

Chanyeol let out a tired sigh deadpanning “Yes you have made sure to remind me a zillion times, now can we go inside?” He stuck his hand out for the other. 

Baekhyun bit his lips shooting a sly glance at him, taking his hand he smiled cockily “Sure sweety” and squeezes hard enough for the Chanyeol to muttered a string of curses.


...


“A karaoke really?” Baekhyun asked the moment they stepped inside the big room filled with a bunch of people.

Before Chanyeol could reply his friends called out for him.

“Chanyeol you brought a date?” a tall guy spoke with a astonished look on his face as he almost rushed towards them who Baekhyun guessed is the best friend. 

“Yah wanted to surprise everyone, this is my boyfriend” Chanyeol pulled Baekhyun to his side, he probably put in to much force because Baekhyun lost balance and fell on him awkwardly.

“Oof” Chanyeol groaned as Baekhyun’s body weight cushioned  on him and he tumbled backward hitting the wall.

Baekhyun straightened up, looking up he smiled at the curious eyes on them. “That’s not the best introduction, I am Baekhyun the boyfriend of this clumsy idiot” he pointed at Chanyeol who was dusting his clothes with a scowl on his face.

“Aww you guys are cute” one blonde girl chimed in.

“Yah am definitely surprised because when did you even start dating?” Jongin asked inquisitively.

“Aah...we just started dating..” Chanyeol paused gawking at them swallowing deep. 

Baekhyun rolled his eyes internally at his incompetence, “We are neighbors, and one night Chanyeol stumbled on my door drunk thinking it’s his apartment...so I took him in because he could barely stand on his own...and well one thing led to the other I agreed to date him after he asked me out like 5 times—“

Chanyeol threw a glare at him, then came closer draping arm around Baekhyun hugging him a bit too tightly cutting his story off “Long story short we are dating” 

Baekhyun squirmed in his hold uncomfortably but Chanyeol payed no attention and dragged him to the sitting area.

“Let go off me you big goof, you are squeezing me” Baekhyun’s muffled voice came out.

Chanyeol at once let go of his hold, “You could have said something nice about me”

“I saved your by coming up with a story, shut up” His boyfriend hissed.

So much for being nice Chanyeol thinks. 

Slowly everyone expect for Jongin warmed up to Baekhyun who surprisingly blended well with his friends and didn’t embarrass Chanyeol anymore. 

“Why did you hide this from me?” Jongin enquired scooting closer to Chanyeol, sipping on his drink.

“Told you I wanted to give a surprise” Chanyeol patted his best friend’s shoulder.

Jongin just hummed, the suspicious look on his face refused to leave making Chanyeol nervous.

“So shouldn’t Chanyeol dedicate a song to his boyfriend?” the blonde girl who Baekhyun has come to know now as Seulgi babbled excitedly.

Which caused all others to hype him up even more and Baekhyun put on a shy smile which he considered appropriate for this situation.

With the constant persuasion Chanyeol walked  up to the stage and picked a song from the list taking a breath he closed his eyes before bringing the mic to his face.

My song is love
My song is love I know
I’m on fire for you
Clearly, you don’t have to be alone

So to Baekhyun’s absolute surprise not only did he sing but his deep voice was soulful and melodious. He had never expected his klutzy neighbor to be this good of a singer.

And I'm not gonna take it back
And I'm not gonna say I don't mean that
You're the target that I'm aiming at
And I'll get that message home

Chanyeol crooned keeping his eyes fixed on him and it made Baekhyun shiver. The words flew inside his mind like a gushing wind almost making him think if Chanyeol meant even a little of what he sang. 

As he finished the song he stepped over to Baekhyun with a gentle smile.

“You are amazing” Baekhyun whispered breathily.

“Thanks” Chanyeol chuckled softly probably didn’t expect him to be generous with the compliment.

“Baekhyun looked like he was completely lost when you were singing...” someone commented from the back laughing.

“Really ?” Chanyeol smiled teasingly eyeing him.

“I..I mean you were really good” Baekhyun mumbled slightly embarrassed.

“Why do you sound like you heard him sing for the first time?” Jongin pressed quirking his lips.

“No I have but it’s just that he never fails to surprise me with his voice” Baekhyun recovered quickly throwing a small smile towards the suspicious looking best friend.

“Wow you are good” Chanyeol said in a low voice only loud enough for Baekhyun to hear.

“What do you mean?”

“The way you lied to Jongin just now, I almost believed you” Chanyeol shrugged casually before walking towards a friend.

Baekhyun nodded distractedly thinking that he didn’t have to lie. 

 

                   ▔▔▔▔▔▔▿▔▔▔▔▔▔

 

Baekhyun opened the door grumbling, “I was supposed to study and now you are telling me to go out with you, if I fail it’s your fault just so you know”

Getting no response he looked at Chanyeol who had gone quite and was staring at him through hooded eyes.

“W-what?”

“You look good” Chanyeol murmured putting his hands in his pocket. 

“Oh cmon save your compliments when we meet your friends” Baekhyun rolled his eyes trying his best to sound casual but he felt his ears heating up.

Chanyeol pressed his lips in a thin line, “Yah sorry, my friends suddenly planned this party and they wanted you to come” he rocked on his heels awkwardly.

“It’s alright your fake boyfriend has got your back” Baekhyun winked as he locked his door.

....