Chanyeol's Past

CROOKED
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

C R O O K E D

CHAPTER 8:

C H A N Y E O L ' S   P A S T

CHANYEOL'S POINT OF VIEW

The classes at Crooked High are a bit different— they don’t dwell much on academics which is a win-win situation for me, despite the disparity. I never liked studying formula’s or memorizing terms— I’d rather rage on the world than stick my nose in those useless textbooks. 

 

 

A low grumble escaped my mouth as my back stiffens. I wasn’t able to sleep properly last night. After all, Baekhyun’s on my bed— and I can’t just sleep there beside him. I could’ve turned a blind eye and left him at the hallway in front of his dorm room— but I can’t. After everything he’s done for me— I just can’t abandon him— even if, he can’t remember. 

 

 

I’m standing at the mats with other students lined up after me. Today we have Advanced Martial Arts— and rumor has it that a new instructor will be coming today. All of a sudden, the door flew wide open and a panting Baekhyun came in. Great... we’re on the same first class too. 

 

 

Soon enough, a man emerged from the shadows— this must be our new instructor. The other students and I greeted him as we bowed our heads—except for one. 

 

 

“Appa” Our head turned to Baekhyun who’s still standing up straight instead of having his head bowed down. Confusion arose my system as I fixated my eyes at the man standing before us. I gritted my teeth as my fist clenched on the sides. 

 

 

“Some of you might know me already— I’m Byun Seokjin” First Byun Baekhyun— now even his father, the mighty Byun Seokjin’s in here too… How the fck did the government had their hands on the Byun’s? 

 

 

After Byun Sabonim's short introduction, we were given time to change into our uniforms. The other students sloppily had their uniforms, enjoying the luxurious 10-minute leeway. My eyes were on Beakhyun as I changed. This might be the first time that I’d seen him act so stoic as if all of his moves were calculated. And before I know it, he was already back at the dojo. 

 

 

When I got back from the changing room, Baekhyun was already at the back of the line. His features were still fatalistic as his gaze at the front remained intact. Byun Sabonim began talking, but another Byun has my full attention. 

 

 

“Byun Baekhyun!” I was snapped back to reality when Mr. Byun called his son— Baekhyun. The student’s parted as Baekhyun slowly made his way to meet his father at the front. My throat went dry as a pang of nostalgia burned in my memory.

 

 

Growing up as a chaebol heir to one of the most successful conglomerates next to the Byun’s, a lot of people expect perfection out of you—as if being perfect is a prerequisite. At a young age, we were given tons of tutor’s and we’re expected to attend these ton of classes ranging from music down to martial arts. And they expect you to excel in each and every single one of them. 

 

 

 -FLASHBACK- 

 

“I’m going to asses each and every one of you” My hands were sweating at my sides as our instructor—Byun sobonim spoke. I slowly peered my gaze at the back and saw that Appa was standing with his arms crossed. At his left, my sister, Yura noona held her doll close to her chest as she offered me a weak smile. 

 

 

Today’s my 7th birthday, and instead of cakes and parties—Appa brought me to the dojo. He told me it’s time for me to man up. I don’t actually know what that means. He told me that one day in the future, everything he has will be passed down to me and Yura noona, and I’d have to be strong enough to protect myself, noona and everyone depending on us.

 

 

“I’m going to asses each and every one of you—starting on our newest recruit. Come at front Park Chanyeol” I swallowed a cold lump in my throat as I made my way. I kept gripping the belt of my uniform as I met Byun sabonim’s gaze. 

 

 

“Annyeong Chanyeol” he said with a menacing smile plastered on his face—I don’t trust this guy at all. 

 

 

“Annyeong Byun Sabonim” I greeted out of respect. 

 

 

“I’m just going to assess your fighting capabilities, in order to do that, I’d have to see you fight” He said as he paced around me. I swallowed another cold lump in my throat as my gaze retreated to my father. His stature remained stoic as he nodded in my direction. 

 

 

“Byun Baekhyun!” He then called out of nowhere and a boy who’s a lot taller than me joined us at the front. The other boy was facing me in the opposite direction. He had a black belt around his waist, mimicking the white one that I’m wearing. My eyes roamed around and saw that the other boy and Byun sabonim are the only ones sporting a black belt. 

 

 

“Joon bi” >> Ready. The other boy had no trouble fixing his stance, while I wobble. My eyes went back to father, but his face was void of any emotions. 

 

 

“Kyungnet” >> Bow. I lowered my head and so did the other boy. 

 

 

“Sijak!” >> Start. The other boy crouched his knees as he lifted his fist up. I mimicked his

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter