Shattering Ice On Frozen Memories

Fleeting Embraces, Falling Feelings ~ Naraku X Reader

I wake up to the morning sun shining down at me, I sit up from the blanket. I stretch like always do, I rub my eyes and I look around. As I look around, I remember something. I remember falling asleep leaning against the tree trunk, Naraku's head was on my lap. He must have laid me down onto the blanket during the middle of the night, I realize that Naraku isn't beside me. I look towards the forest's border and I see Naraku coming out from the trees. I see Atamashi perched on his shoulder, I smile as I see him. As he gets closer I can see that he's cupping something.

"You're awake." He greets me as he sits down on the big blanket.

"Yes, did you rest at all last night? You laid me down onto the blanket sometime in the night didn't you?" I ask him.

"I got a good rest, you don't need to worry. Yes, you were about to tip over so I laid you down. I got some berries for you." He says laying some wild berries on the blanket.

"Wow, thank you. I hope these aren't dangerous." I say with a slight laugh.

"You think I would poison you? Why would I to someone so dear to me? Don't worry, these aren't poisonous. It's a little something to give you some energy for the way home." He says with a smile.

I smile at his kindness. I eat the berries that he picked, I give some to Atamashi as well. Atamashi is starting to flap both of his wings, but he's not flying away. After that, Naraku and I walk around the land again and enjoyed the beautiful landscape. I'll be leaving this place again, I'll be sad, not because I'm leaving this place, but because I'm leaving Naraku. I don't want to leave him, but I know I have to go back. When afternoon starts to roll in, we return to the Cherry Tree. I roll up the two blankets, and Naraku hands me Atamashi.

"Well, another day passes and now it's time for me to go again. I wish time can stop, or at least stay in this moment." I say breathing in the fresh air.

"Unfortunately, time doesn't stop for anyone..." Naraku says.

I nod at his response, but then I remember something.

"I don't think I told you this, but I know a lot about flowers and their meanings." I say to him.

"Oh? Their meanings?" He asks me curiously.

"Yes, it's like a hobby of mine. I know their symbolic meanings, and that's what makes them beautiful. Like this Cherry Blossom Tree for example." I say with a smile.

"This Cherry Blossom Tree?" He says looking at it.

I take his hand in mine gently, his large smooth hands wraps around mine subtly. I guide the two of us closer to the tree. I then reluctantly let his hand go when we're underneath it.

"The Cherry Blossoms only last about 2 weeks or so after they bloom in the spring. They represent spring. Since they only last about 2 weeks, they've come to symbolize the beauty of life and remind us to treasure every single moment as much as we can. It's beautiful, but it's so fleeting." I say as I look at the vibrant pink of the petals.

The two of us look at the flowers gently swaying in the spring breeze.

"Hold on a second or two." Naraku suddenly says.

I look at him curious, he then leaps forward and jumps onto one of the tree's branches. I gasp at the suddenness, I watch him gently pick one of the Cherry Blossom flowers from its roots. He then hops back down gracefully, he stands up and walks towards me.

"Naraku..." I manage to say.

Naraku stops in front of me, just mere inches between us, he looks down at the single cherry blossom flower in his palm.

"Now that you told me the meaning of this flower, I've come to appreciate it even more. Life is precious, and every moment is beautiful. You have taught me that. Thank you___________." Naraku says looking at me with his ruby red eyes.

"I'm glad that I'm able to let you see it." I reply with a smile.

Naraku then gently tucks my fringe behind my ear and place the cherry blossom flower in my hair. When his skin touches my cheek, a sudden flash goes through my mind. What is happening? I feel a slight dizziness rush through me, but weak enough to keep me conscious. I see myself... in the same place. It's a flashback I realize, is this the same flashback that I had that day? Same place, but I've only been here once then. If I was here once then it must be that time that I came upon this place 12 years ago. I'm 10 here. It's night time, I feel someone's hand gently parting away from my hair. I see myself looking at the owner of the hand, and I'm shocked. I'm looking into a pair of beautiful ruby red eyes, unlike the previous flashback, in which I could only see the person's face up to the mouth, I can see his whole face now. It's Naraku. I feel my mind going blank, I became speechless. Did this sudden distinct action help me regain my memories?

"Hope to see you soon, and I hope you'll recognize me even when I grow up to be an adult." I hear my younger self say to him.

He doesn't say anything but gives a slight nod.

"Goodbye Naraku." I then hear myself say.

I then lean in and give him a kiss on the cheek, I pull back and I see his eyes following me. He then lets out a small smile.

"Goodbye_________" I hear him say as he looks at me with gentle eyes.

I feel myself being in love with him then. At 10 years old, I fell in love with him. He then lifts his left hand up and gently place it over my forehead. A sudden flash of bright light fills my vision. I'm suddenly snapped back into reality. I... remember everything now. The person that I have forgotten that night, was Naraku. Even then, I realized that I've fallen in love with him at a young age. When that flash of bright light filled my vision, he must have wiped my memories of that night. Why though? Why he did it, was probably for a reason. At least that's what I want to think.

"_________, are you alright?" I hear Naraku ask me.

My eyes looks around frantically like it's having a seizure for a second to get a grasp of reality again, when I come to, I look back up at Naraku. His ruby red eyes gazing into mine with a slight hint of worry. There's no doubt, no one else's eyes are like his. They were bright like the fire and beautiful like the rubies, all of my forgotten memories of that night are back, and I remember the face of the person that I've come to love finally after 12 years. I loved him then, and even after forgetting my memories, I was fated to meet him again and have fallen in love with him all over. I smile back at him.

"I'm absolutely perfectly fine. Don't worry Naraku. I'm very happy right now, all because of you. Thank you." I say to him.

I don't think I need to tell him about what I remember, because all that matters now is now. I then lean in and kiss him on the cheek, just like how I did 12 years prior. I hope by doing this sudden gesture, I can help him regain his missing memories perhaps. I pull back and his red eyes follows me, I give him a gentle nod.

"I'll see you in two days Naraku. Goodbye." I quietly say.

"Goodbye_________." He responds slowly, eyes still not leaving me.

I smile at him, with Atamashi in my hands I turn and walk towards the trees. Like I've always done since I met him, but this time, I don't want to leave him. I feel like by leaving him, I'll forget the memories again. Although I fear that, I know that I've regain my memories, and I will hold onto them this time, I won't forget them ever again. That's a promise I'll never forget. I rejoin Boshi and together with Atamashi, the three of us ride back home in the afternoon sun. Just like before, I arrive back home at night, it seems so empty now that I'm the only master of this house. I make myself something to eat and for Atamashi, when I return to my room, I gently take out the cherry blossom that I removed from my hair and placed it within my kimono close to my heart. I gently place it beside my Freesia, as I look at it, I noticed that it's wilting slightly. Since Sazanami isn't here, the maids might have only watered it once. I can't blame them, it's my flower after all so it's mostly my responsibility. I wash up and change into my night wear, I let Atamashi hop around the room and watch him as he tries to keep himself in the air. He's able to flutter across the room, I really think he'll be ready to take flight the next time that I see Naraku. But as I think that, I also realize that when Atamashi leaves, going back to see Naraku will require a better reason to give to my parents. After a while, I call Atamashi back to my hand, I tuck him in my handkerchief. I blow out the candles and instead of getting into my futon, I sit down by my open window. I look out into the clear night sky, and my mind goes to Naraku. This time I'm wide awake and I think of Naraku. I want to think of him, I don't want to forget him. I gaze out at the quiet world in front of me for about half an hour, my mind is reliving the memories that has came back to me, the gentleness in Naraku's eyes as he looked at me and the love that I felt for him then. Such beautiful memories, he was a demon then but I wasn't scared of him. I smile at the memories, I then stand up and slide into my futon. I close my eyes and I slowly doze off into a dream. I wake up to the morning warmth touching my face, I open my eyes to the bright light. Atamashi is already hopping around in my room, I sit up and smile. The first thing that comes to mind is Naraku, and the memories. I feel a rush of happiness, I didn't forget it, and it wasn't a dream. I get up and wash up, I dress up in my red kimono and fix my hair. I return to my room to retrieve Atamashi, he's zipping through the room but when I call him, he lands on my finger.

"I hope that you can stay with me forever, but I know you'll have to fly away one day. But, for the time that we have, we should remember it and cherish it." I say to Atamashi as I pat his head.

I eat breakfast by myself. I greet the maids and housekeepers. The estate looks well cared for. I head out into town to see if I want to buy anything, as I look around I suddenly stop at a jewelry stand. I'm not really into jewelries, but for some reason I just wanted to look at it.

"Morning." The seller says.

"Morning, you have beautiful jewelries." I say to her with a smile.

"Thank you, please take a look and see if you have anything you like." She says.

I nod. As I scan through the beautiful rows of jewelry, I come upon two sets of bracelets made out of smooth thin twisted bamboo roots dyed in red. As I see it, a belief comes into mind. Although it's not exactly, but the red string of fate connects two people together, I smile as I look at the pair of bracelets. I'll give one to Naraku.

"I'll buy this pair of bracelets." I say to the seller.

She smiles, she wraps it up for me and I pay her. I return home afterwards. The rest of the day goes on as usual, when night arrives I sit down at my desk and take out a red ball of silk that my mother kept in her sewing kit. I grab a pair of scissors and cut of a long length of the red silk, I then take one of the bracelets and tie a knot around it with the silk, I then start to wrap the silk around the bracelet. When I reach the starting point I tie a knot again with a few centimeters of the red silk hanging, I leave it on because I want to leave that impression of the red string of fate. I do the same to the other bracelet, I then wrap it up again and I head to bed. I want to silently tell Naraku that our fate has connected us 12 years prior and has connected us again even after circumstances. I water my Freesia flower and pick up the Cherry Blossom, I look at the flower and I admire its beauty, I bring it close and smelled its faint scent.

"Surprising that two weeks is almost up but you're still vibrant. You must be one magical tree." I say to it with a smile.

I place it down and tuck in Atamashi, I then lay down onto my futon, another day goes by and tomorrow, I'll be seeing Naraku again. I close my eyes as I smile, to be in love with someone, it's overwhelming but beautiful. Hours goes by, I open my eyes to a new a day, I look beside me and I don't see Atamashi. I sit up and look around, I don't see him anywhere. Then my eyes lands on my desk and I see him sitting on it, I let out a relieved sigh.

"I suppose tomorrow you're ready to be free." I say quietly.

I get up and do my morning routine, I go to the eating hall and greet the maids and groundskeepers. They pack me a nice bundle of food for the travel, I feel grateful for them for all of these years. Without anymore minutes to waste, I get Boshi and spend three quarter of the day getting to the forest. After tying Boshi to the tree, I take the bundle of food with me and I take out the wrapped cloth that was in my kimono.

"The red string of fate, I'd like to believe that we were fated." I say to myself.

With Atamashi in my hands, we head to the open field. When the clearing fills my vision I smile, I notice that Naraku isn't here yet. Regardless, I walk towards the Cherry Blossom Tree. As I walked, I see someone appearing out of the trees on the other side, his navy blue kimono reflecting the setting sun's light, his serene expression is laced with a gentle smile. I smile as I see him. The two of us continue to walk towards the meeting point, no rush, we stride across the green grass. As I get closer, I feel my heart beating faster again upon seeing him up close. Eventually we stop in front of each other.

"Hi Naraku." I greet him.

"Glad you're here_________." Naraku replies.

"I'm happy to be here." I reply with a smile.

I just keep staring at his ruby eyes and the memories comes flooding back to me. 12 years, I have grown and matured but him... he didn't change a bit. I just hope he can remember me one day. The two of us took a stroll through the forest, we sat by the flowing stream and listened to the soft sounds of nature around us. In no time, hours go by and the sun has set. The two of us return to the tree and just like last time, I lay down the large towel for the two of us. I decide that I'll give the bracelet to him tomorrow before I leave. The two of us sit down, we eat the food that I brought with me. The stars shines down on us as we spent this quiet night together, when it's time for us to sleep, the two of us lay down side by side and looked up at the sky. Atamashi is in Naraku's hands as he sleeps, the other blanket covering the two of us. The gentle night breeze touching our skin.

"I think Atamashi is ready to fly away tomorrow." I quietly say in the silence.

Naraku doesn't respond for a few seconds, I can hear my own heart beating in my ear.

"He is?" Naraku asks me.

"Yea, his wings are healed thanks to us taking care of him. Let's set him free tomorrow before I leave." I say.

"Alright..." Naraku quietly replies.

"Look, you're going to see Atamashi fly away tomorrow, let's be happy for him." I say.

I turn to look at him, he's looking up at the sky, not blinking, the red of his iris slightly reflecting the dim light of the moon. I said that, I'll stay with him until Atamashi flies away. We're setting him free tomorrow, and that means that I'll be leaving too, who knows when I'll be able to come back to see him again. I want to stay, so am I able to be selfish this once? For love? He seems sad, he's not smiling, his face looks expressionless. I want to see him happy, I try to think of something. I look up at the night sky and I see a bright star, a story comes to mind. It's probably not it but I'll just give it a try. Without a word I gently take Naraku's hand in mine, I then raise it up towards the sky and at the bright star. Naraku doesn't say anything but just follows my action.

"You see the bright star?" I ask him.

"Yes." He replies.

There's a story in Asian culture called "The Cowherd and the Weaver Girl" the Weaver girl is actually a goddess. The goddess and the cowherd fell in love, they married and had two children. Unfortunately, the mother goddess did not approve of the relationship because he's a mortal. She separates the two, but each year on the 7th day of the 7th lunar month, a bridge formed by magpies allows the two to reunite. Two stars are then named Vega and Altair in their honour." I tell him as I'm still holding his hand in the air with mine.

I turn to look at Naraku, our faces just inches away, he's looking at me with bright red eyes. I feel my heart beating faster.

"What's wrong?" I ask him.

"The story was beautiful in the beginning, then it went sad..." he says looking into both of my eyes.

"Yes... although they were separated,  but it's not like they never saw each other again. They had hopes and the memories that they shared were the things that kept them strong." I say with a smile.

I then lower our hands down, I then open his fingers, and I giggle.

"What is it?" He asks me hearing me laugh.

"Your hand is so much more bigger than mine, my hand size is like a child's." I say with a laugh.

I might be unconsciously trying to push my recovered memories onto him, but I really hope he can remember his soon. I trace my finger along the lines of his palm, he has no reaction as I glide my fingertip along his soft skin. I want to express my feelings for him, but I don't want to be straightforward.

"Let's hold hands tonight." I say looking at him with a smile.

"Hold hands? Is there a specific reason? Is this something that friends do?" He asks me curiously.

I feel my cheeks heating up slightly, I want tell him yes, friends do this, but most of all, lovers.

"Uhm, yea friends do this. I'm joking, I just wanted to tease you a bit. Goodnight." I say with a smile.

I let go of his hand, but I feel Naraku's fingers bending and caught my fingers before I can fully pull away. I look at him surprised.

"Naraku?" I say searching his eyes.

"Your facial expression shows me that something's on your mind. I'll hold your hand, I hope it can help you relax in time. Goodnight_______." He says with a smile.

My heart begins to beat faster as I hear his words. I hope that my affections for him are returned. I smile and nod.

"Thanks Naraku." I reply.

I then rest my head on his shoulder and close my eyes, he wraps his fingers around mine and brings them to his chest. I can feel Naraku's quiet breathing above me, feeling safe, I fall asleep in no time. I don't know how long I've been asleep for but I feel my consciousness slowly coming back to me, it's probably still in the middle of the night. I can still feel my left hand being held gently by a strong hand, my heart flutters. Naraku is still holding my hand, I then feel something softly gliding down my cheek. Since I'm fully conscious this time around, I know what it is. They are fingers, and I know now that it's Naraku's. The previous two times that I felt those soft touches, were they from Naraku as well? I'm hoping they were, I smile at the gentleness of his touch. I then doze off again. I wake up to the birds chirping around me, I rub my eyes to get my senses back.

"Good morning." I hear a gentle voice say.

I let my eyes travel to the source of the voice, Naraku is sitting beside me. I look at my hand, apparently I'm holding his this way around. I let out a small gasp.

"Was I holding your hand the whole time?" I ask him.

"You were." He says.

"Sorry, I didn't realize it." I say sitting up.

"It's nothing to be sorry about, if it helped you forget about your worries last night, then I'm glad. Your hand felt nice." He says with a gentle smile.

"Your hand felt nice as well, warm and strong. Thank you Naraku." I reply quietly.

Naraku helps me up, the two of us walk to the stream so that I can wash up. Then afterwards, the two of us took Atamashi to the cliff that we came upon that day. The sun is high in the sky, fluffy clouds laces the sky and shifting places as if the world is moving with it. The two of us are standing there looking out to the horizon, Atamashi is in my hands.

"Guess it's time." I say.

"I suppose it is." Naraku answers me.

"Here, I think it's best if you set him free. Since you wanted to see him fly." I say to Naraku holding out my hand.

Naraku nods and hold out a finger in front of Atamashi. Atamashi naturally hops onto his finger with a gentle flutter of his wings, I smile at the interaction. Naraku then faces the openess of the world and with one more gentle pat of Atamashi's feathers, he holds out his arm. The two of us watch Atamashi as he looks around the sky. I gently tap on Atamashi's feet to encourage him.

"It's time to soar above the sky now, you're free now."

With one more tap, Atamashi spreads his wings and flies up into the air. Naraku and I listen to its wings flapping and watch as Atamashi flies out towards the mountains and trees in the distance, he's off. He's finally gone, back to where he belongs. The two of us look out in silence, the wind gently sweeps across the land.

"He's gone..." I quietly say suddenly feeling empty.

"He's finally free to see the world and its beauty." Naraku says.

"Yes, it's about time that I leave too. But before I go, I have something." I say turning to him.

I gently take his left wrist and lift up his kimono sleeve, Naraku face is just inches from mine. I then take out one of the bracelets, I then tie it around his fair wrist. I adjust it so that the red silk string is flowing from the bracelet I then release his arm. Naraku lifts his wrist and examines the bracelet.

"What is this for?" He asks me.

"It's a bracelet, it came in a pair. There's a belief in life between two people. The red string originally didn't come with the bracelet, I added it on. The saying is, that when two people are fated to meet, they are connected by the red string of fate." I say to him.

"So, you think we were fated to meet?" He asks me.

"I'd like to believe we were. Even way before that day that we met." I say to him.

"Well, since you gave me my half, where's yours?" He asks me.

"It's here." I say taking mine out.

Without a word, Naraku takes it from my hand gently and unties it. He then lifts my left kimono sleeve and ties it around my wrist, he adjusted it so that my red string is hanging.

"Naraku..." I let out looking at him.

Naraku looks at me and smile.

"If you believe it was fate for us to meet, then I'll believe it. If I'm the only one that's wearing the bracelet, then it wouldn't be our fate to meet if you're not wearing it." He says.

"You're right." I reply with a laugh.

After holding my wrist, Naraku's hand gently slides down to hold my hand. I look at him confused at the sudden gesture.

"Something's on your mind isn't it?" He asks me.

Should I tell him? That I regained my memories, all of it of that night.

"Yes." I reply.

"What is it?" He asks me looking into my eyes.

I gaze into his ruby ones, they are gorgeous.

"I know that I've told you that we shouldn't dwell on our forgotten memories, but... I can't help but wonder how nice it will be for you to have your memories back again." I say quietly.

I don't want to push what I remember onto him, I want him to one day remember everything for himself. Like I said, the past shouldn't really matter, what matters now, is now. Naraku looks at me with a soft expression.

"Like you said, the past is the past, we should focus on the present. When the past returns to me, then I'll deal with it then." He says.

"You're right." I reply with a nod and a smile.

There's a brief silence between us, no words, except our eyes looking into each others.

"I remember you saying that people who are in love they hug, and they kiss too. The kiss that you gave me on the cheek that day, what did that mean?" He asks me.

I feel a slight rush of heat come to my cheeks. I feel flustered all of a sudden. Should I avoid it, or should I tell him my feelings once and for all?

"That kiss that I gave you that day, meant that you are someone very special to me." I say to him with a smile.

"I see, a kiss on the cheek means that that someone is special to you. Where do you kiss to show love and express one's happiness?" He asks me.

I feel my mind going blank all of a sudden. Why is he asking me these questions? But, since he wants to know, I'll tell him.

"Well, a kiss can be laid upon anywhere on the body. A kiss can have many meanings actually, there's no one cement meaning. The main purpose of a kiss, is to show one's affections for someone, specifically, love. When love is involved, you usually kiss the other person's lips." I say as I gaze into his beautiful eyes.

I tell him my definition of what a kiss is for. Naraku smiles after hearing my explanation.

"Close your eyes for me." He asks me suddenly.

"Why?" I ask him confused.

"Do this for me, please." He asks me gazing into my eyes with a slight pleading look.

Since he had listened to all of my requests, I should listen to his, it's the least I can do. I nod and I close my eyes. Darkness fills my vision, and I feel the gentle breeze grazing pass my face. Naraku's hold on my hand gently tightens. Then I feel his other hand gently caresses my face, the next thing I know... something soft presses against my lips. I feel a sudden rush of shock flood my whole being. I open my eyes and in front of my face, with his nose touching my cheek, and his hand still holding my face gently...I realize that Naraku is kissing me.