It's a Match!

Mika and Yanyan's Nyt Short Stories
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Title : It's a Match!

Author : Sweetymika

Challenge : mobile app, singer/actor, autograph

It was like any other day for Seungri. He just got back from his last class in Biology and is currently lazing around in his dorm room with his phone when his roommate sneak behind him.

“You're on Tinder again? Stop it. It's not safe. Haven't you heard about people get robbed, , even murdered because of that app?” Daesung said, pushing Seungri a little to make room for him on the single bed.

“Whoa~ this app can do that to a person?” Seungri feign shocked at the statement.

“You know what I mean" Daesung rolled his eyes and pull out potato chips under the bed. He knew that's where Seungri's junk food stash and his friend never being stingy with him.

“C'mon I've using it for years. None of my hook up ever did anything bad to me. We just met and had , next day in the morning if I'm lucky they would be gone without a trace even before I wake up" Seungri defend his action. He has been using that app since he's a freshman and so far, he never got any problem with it.

“How could you do something like that with strangers? You never thought about dating anyone? I heard you're quite popular in your faculty" Daesung reply, already halfway devouring the chips.

“I don't think I have enough time to date. And I don't like the idea of dating anyone from my class. It would be awkward if we broke up and then the professor decides to put us together in a group project" Seungri reply back with a snicker.

“Are you mocking me right now?” Daesung didn’t need to ask to know that Seungri is really mocking him. The image of Rosaline’s murderous glare as Professor Yoon put them together as group partner for a sale project is not something he like to be remembered of. That’s said, he still ought to suffer for another 2 months working on the project while trying not to get murdered by his ex-girlfriend. He doesn’t get why that woman had to hold a grudge on him over their break-up. They just didn’t work out and Daesung find the need to point that out before Rosaline put a high hope on him.

“The point is, dating take a lot of my time and I don't feel like wanting to have any attachment with anyone. Tinder date better. People know we just want to have without any string attach” Seungri explain further. “I did come across some people who really want to date me several times but I blocked them instantly”

“You're cruel"

“I'm young and . I just live up my life to the fullest before we get thrown into working world”

“So Dr Lee want to play before his work schedule wither his away" Daesung mocked.

“Shut up" Seungri shove at his friend with a playful banter. He focused back on his Tinder. It’s funny how people in Tinder really just honest with their appearance taste. If you like their look, swipe right. If you don’t like what you see, just swipe left. You don’t have to know their personality or all that unnecessary stuff.

“Let me see who's your right swipe" Daesung suddenly said and lean closer to Seungri for a better look on the phone.

“Why?”

“Nothing. I am intrigued to know what kind a bi people like you would like" Daesung grin. He is straight so sometimes he feel curious about people with different uality than him. 

“Tsk, whatever" Seungri dismissed his friend and start going through the Tinder profile again. Being an attractive person himself, he did have high taste in women, even more for men. Mostly he would swipe left if the person's appearance is not to his liking even a little.

“That one's cute. Why you swipe left?” Daesung asked when Seungri pass a cute woman, minimal make-up on, who have a seductively luscious body. That one totally his type.

“Her too big" Seungri mumbles indifferently to Daesung’s annoyance.

“What?? Big are the best!” Daesung exclaimed in dissatisfaction. He tried to go back but because Seungri’s Tinder app is not a premium one so that feature is disabled.

“Not for me"

“I thought that guy was okay" Daesung comment after Seungri swipe left a fairly handsome guy posing with his dog. Daesung loves dog and dog-lover person always make a good impression for him.

Seungri scrunch his nose. “Nah.. he's too hairy. I don't want to get drown in his chest hair”

“Yuck, that would be disgusting” Daesung agree. His eyes suddenly gone wide when he saw the new profile after the last one. “Hey, look. This guy use Kwon Jiyong as his profile picture! Even using his name on it!”

Seungri laugh, finger ready to swipe left that person. Sometimes he would come across this kind of profile that use celebrity’s information. “This is the kind of loser who is really ugly and has no confident with his appearance. I bet he's fat and ugly.” It’s sickening him up when people do that. Moreover, this guy is impersonating as Kwon Jiyong. Kwon Jiyong is a part of idol group duo GDYB. He is a singer-songwriter who is a legend in South Korea’s entertainment industry that is also really popular for being a fashion icon.

“Let's swipe right" Daesung said mischievously and swipe right the profile and then a glorious ‘It’s a Match!’ words appear right away. “See, he already swiped right you!” he squealed happily and laugh.

“What the Dae!" Seungri slap his friend who laugh without any guilt. He did notice that this ‘Kwon Jiyong’ person did ‘super like’ his profile. Gross.

 “C'mon it would be funny! I want to stalk his profile." Oblivious to Seungri’s inner conflict, Daesung click the profile.

“Haish.. okay" Seungri sigh and just let Daesung take over the phone. There’re only two pictures on the profile. The profile picture obviously an old picture because it showed Kwon Jiyong with black hair. If Seungri remember correctly, this ‘iguana idol’ dyed his hair green recently. The other picture is just a picture of a cat playing in a paper bag. The profile just has name and age along with that two pictures without any interesting bio, definitely a boring person.  “There’s literally nothing to stalk on his profile" he is about to unmatch when suddenly he got a text.

Jiyong – Hi

Jiyong - It's a match so I take it that you like me too?

Both Seungri and Daesung look at each other before they erupt into a big laugh. “This guy is a big loser!” Seungri cringe because that guy thought he likes him too. But because he wanted to test just how bad of a loser that guy is, he replied something that would boost his ego.

Seungri – Yes. Who in the world wouldn't love Kwon Jiyong, right? I bet you get many matches just today.

Jiyong – Oh tbh you're the only one that I swiped right

Seungri scoff. “Yeah right" he rolled his eyes while Daesung snicker beside him, totally amused with this situation.

Seungri – Lucky me then J

Jiyong - Let's introduce our self. I'm Kwon Jiyong, 29 y.o. as you know I'm a singer. My blood type is AB. My favourite colour is red. I like to eat Ganjang gejang but when I'm busy I usually just eat something simple like cheese sandwich.

“Woo~ this maniac really thought he is Kwon Jiyong" Seungri comment, shaking his head at this guy’s ridiculousness.

“Did he google that information? It's not even accurate. Jiyong's blood type is A" Daesung reply.

Seungri raised his eyebrows. “And how did you know that?”

“I read it in some interviews" Daesung answered absent-mindedly.

“You read his interview?” Seungri asked again, amused.

Daesung finally get the hint that Seungri is teasing him right now. “Shut up. My noona is his fan. She's like, really obsess with him! She has this whole collection every ads, interview, merchandise.. basically everything related to him. I just happen to be bored one day and decide to read one of her magazines that have Kwon Jiyong's interview in it”

“And you remember the detail? You might be not as straight as you thought, Dae"

“Whatever you said. I bet many guys would be bent for Kwon Jiyong” Daesung dismiss. He is not confused of his uality no matter how many time Seungri joke about that.

Jiyong – Hello? You still there?

“This guy is persistent”

“Maybe I should unmatch him now" Seungri shrugged.

Suddenly there’s a loud bang when the door room is being push very hard and smack on the wall making both of the jolt in surprise. “Hey guys! C'mon! Delta Phi make a party tonight!” Junki, their dorm leader, scream excitedly. Without waiting for their reply, the guy simply walked away to scream the same exact words to the next room. It’s like common understanding that students other than the first years but still live in the dorm usually broke so Junki take it’s his job to alert people whenever there’s an open party where you can get free food and drinks, aside from having fun.

“Let's go!” Seungri and Daesung squealed in unison. Fraternity parties are the best so there’s no way they would miss out on this.

..

The sun blazing from open curtain is the thing that wake Seungri up. He hates the light as much as he hated the girl currently laying on his bed with him.

“Good morning" she chirped happily and try to kiss him but Seungri avoid that by reflect. He was disgusted by morning breath so there’s no way he would kiss anyone that didn’t brush their teeth yet even though he is also just wake up.

“Oh.. morning" Seungri greet half-heartedly and look around. The bright pink wall is a clear indication that this is not his room. Only then he looked at the girl he had with. She’s pretty. A blonde girl with an easy smile that always eyeing him at last night’s party. She’s a sorority girl so usually he avoids sleeping with them as they like to spread around their experience with him. And he made a mistake by following her to the sorority house, not taking her back to his room so now he needed to face the walk of shame early in the morning. He can imagine the cat-call he would get as he walk out of this room. Sorority girls are that scary.

 The girl, Allison if he remembers correctly, try to his morning wood under the cover but Seungri slap her hands away and get up from the bed. “Erm.. what are you doing?” she asked, confuse as Seungri put on his clothes in haste.

“I want to get the out from your room now as fast as I can is what I’m doing" Seungri reply without guilt. He scrambled around to find his other pair of socks but decide to forget that after a minute of searching.

Allison crossed her arms as she watched Seungri dress up. “I thought last night was good!”

“Yeah, the was good. Thanks for that” is what Seungri reply, already putting on his shoes. “But that’s it”

“What? You !”

“Yeah.. Everyone's calling me that" Seungri grin and blew a kiss before walk out from the room. He ignored the cat-call he got from the girls and pretending to be busy with his phone. He decided to check his Tinder after texting Daesung to get a cup of coffee for him.

Jiyong – Good morning

“What the "

Jiyong – You don't reply to me yesterday. Are you busy? What about now?

“Freak"

Jiyong - I'm lonely. Please talk to me

Shaking his head, Seungri decides to ignore the text and walk back to his dorm. He was so glad that the hangover is not that bad because he has an early class today. Despite his social life, he is actually a good student so he can’t afford to be tardy. He is not playing around when it comes about his studying. Being the only child of a single parent family that has medium income, he finds it’s his responsibility to has a good job so he can take care of his mother.

..

“Seungri your essay is exactly the same with Jang-Won. Did you plagiarize him?” Professor Kim ask sternly. It’s obvious he already come into conclusion that Seungri is at fault because there’s no way he would blame his favourite student.

“No. I did not" Seungri reply, shoulders slump in defeat. He never expects this would happen when he borrowed Jang-Won’s laptop. But he was desperate. His own laptop broke down last week and Jang-Won was kind enough to lent it to him when they study together in the library. He already deleted the file but stupid enough to not empty the bin. Jang-Won must have retrieved the file from the bin and then put his own name on the essay. He swore to himself that he would never use people’s laptop ever gain and just use the PC at the cafe after this. He thought they are friends, who would have thought Jang-Won would do him dirty like this.

“Then explain to me how could this happen? It's copied word by word. Do you think I'm stupid?”

Seungri is tempted to say yes but he knew that would get him an instant fail in Pathology so he took a deep breath to calm himself. “Sorry, sir. I don’t know how this happen"

“You would never graduate with this kind of attitude.”

“I am sorry. I would re-do my essay”

Professor Kim eyed Seungri who still stand there, looking down on the floor like a kicked puppy. “Send it by tonight or I would give you zero mark" he dismissed and point to the door, a non-verbal gesture that he wanted Seungri out from his room.

“Yes, sir"

...

“Seungri, party tonight?” Daesung clap the back of his friend. He already dressed up in a casual jeans and grey t-shirt Seungri gave him for his birthday last year.

“Not tonight. I have an essay to submit" Seungri reply. He swore to himself that he would never borrow anyone’s laptop ever again but here he is with Daesung’s laptop on his lap. But Daesung is not in the same course as him and Daesung would never betray him so that’s okay. Now he felt stupid for not just using Daesung’s laptop before or else this would never happen to him. How he thought about being friends with an like Jang-Won is really out of his mind.

Daesung lean down to look at the work Seungri did. “Biopsy of nervous tissue? I thought you have done this one?” he commented after he read the file name. He remembered Seungri talk about that since last week.

“Yeah.. but that son of Harita hospital copied mine and of course I would be the one to be blamed on. So I have to redo it"

Daesung scrunch his face. He always thought Jang-Won is bad news and now it really happened. “That's . Anything I can help?” he asked. He doesn’t know what to do but he ready to help Seungri anytime.

Seungri smirk. Not that Daesung know anything about neuropathology but he is really a great friend. “Nah.. go have fun at the party”

“I would bring you back some pizza" Daesung promise before he left the room.

“Thanks Dae"

Jiyong – Hey?

Seungri ignore the text and continue to write the thesis. It's hard because he mainly needs to avoid using the same point from his previous one. He got no time to reply to a crazy guy’s text. Around 11.30pm he finally finishes the thesis and send it to Professor Kim by email. He groaned and lay on the bed to stretch his body. It’s early and Daesung won’t be back for maybe another hour so Seungri scroll his IG to kill the time. He liked pictures here and there, mostly about cats and dogs before decides to go on Tinder. There’s this cute guy he’s been talking to since yesterday and he thought about asking him out tomorrow for . Based on the amount of pics they been sending back and forth, it’s obvious that guy would be interested.  

Jiyong – My day

Honestly Seungri could care less about this imposter’s day when he had a ty day himself but that cute guy is not replying to him yet and he was bored so he decided to text back.

Seungri – Really? I had a bad day myself.

Jiyong – Oh.. you finally replied!

Seungri – Tell me about your day. Let's compare whose day is the iest

Jiyong – iest is not a word

Seungri – Ignore that. You know what I mean. Anyway, spill.

Jiyong – You first, I'm a gentleman ;)

Seungri smile. He likes it when a man uses that kind of words. Maybe it’s the sappy part in him that want people to put him first. It’s a nice gesture.

Seungri – I am a university student. We need to submit an important thesis today but there's this one rich stole my work. I bet the professor know I'm innocent but because he's afraid of that rich , he blamed me instead. So now I need to re write my thesis that took me a week to finish within a day only. I wrote the first one using the best point I can think of while this one is made in a haste. I must say it’s nowhere near good.

Jiyong – That . I don't continue my study but even I know how frustrating it is when people steal your work.

Seungri – You have people stealing your work too?

Jiyong – Yes, plenty of times. But in their defence, they are the music producer so might as well just give them the song that I have. They didn’t credit me on the work tho and claim all the royalties to themselves.

Seungri – That .

Jiyong – Yep, but I get over it somehow. There's a lot of bad people in this world that feel no remorse in doing bad thing to others. I just believe in karma. What goes around comes around. The music producer got caught in a big scandal and force to leave the music industry for good. Never heard of them ever again. You just wait Seungri, that person who stole your work will get karma fall upon them.

Seungri – Haha. That’s good to hear because he is really rich so I can’t punch him on the face even if I want to. His daddy would sue me and make a big fuss out of it. So now I just wait for the karma I guess.

Seungri – Well, that my day. What's yours?

Jiyong – My manager made a mistake with my coffee today. You see, I'm lactose intolerant. I drink coffee with almond milk instead of dairy milk. I should know the difference since I drink almond milk every day but I was barely awake. I only slept 2 hours since yesterday so my sense is not good. I drink half cup of that coffee until my body couldn't take it anymore and I need to use the toilet. I was in tight pants. It's hard to get it off so I need to ask my stylist’s help to take off the pants while I’m holding in. I spent an hour in the toilet and so we were late for my schedule. I get yelled at by my ceo after that and he threatened to cancel my 2 days off day next week. I have to beg him to not cancelling my day off. As a result, we compromise by adding new schedules to my already pack schedule just to amend for my mistake today (which really not mine!).

Seungri scrunch his face. This story seemed too real like this person really think of himself as Kwon Jiyong.

Seungri – You need to see a doctor

Jiyong – Nah.. It's okay. My stomach is good now. I am in the middle of eating Gamja-tang that my mom gave me yesterday 😊

Seungri laugh. He meant to say this person should see a doctor for his delusion problem but he is oblivious to that so Seungri just let it pass.

Seungri – You eat Gamja-tang in the middle of the night?

Jiyong – Yes. It's delicious. My mom made the best Gamja-tang! J

Seungri - Isn't that too heavy for late night snacks?

Jiyong – I can't eat it during days. My manager would report it to my ceo. People expect me to be skinny for my promotion. I haven’t had proper meal for months.

Seungri - That's sad.

Jiyong – I’m used to that. Do you like Gamja-tang?

Seungri – I like it but I won't eat it in the middle of night.

Jiyong – What would you like to eat at night?

Seungri – Pizza or fried chicken

Jiyong - That's delicious too. I think I want to order that.

Seungri – You want to order pizza and fried chicken? After eating Gamja-tang?

Jiyong – That would be a lot, right? Haha. Okay, I would order fried chicken only.

Seungri – Okay

Jiyong – Do you want it too?

Seungri – What?

Jiyong – Fried chicken. I know this one special store that sell the best fried chicken. It's spicy and crunchy and it's everything you would ever ask for a delicious fried chicken. My treat! 

Just thinking about fried chicken make Seungri hungrier. It's only 12 AM. He doubted Daesung would be back soon. Worst case scenario, Daesung would be back in the morning with cold pizza. And this person is offering him free food so why not?

Seungri – I think I would like to have some

Jiyong – Okay, give me your address

It's unsettling to give his address to a stranger but he lives in dormitory so it should be okay. Not that he needs to give out his room number for food order. Usually the food runner would wait outside the gate.

Seungri – 19-8 Dongja-dong, Yongsan-gu

Jiyong – Your phone number?

Seungri – Just tell him I would wait at the gate

Jiyong – But it would be convenient if you just give your phone number. It's chilly tonight. I don't want you to wait outside too long.

Seungri – Fine. +82-4-044-5627

Jiyong – All right then, wait for it

..

Seungri was flirting with another Tinder guy he just newly match when his phone ring.

“Your fried chicken order is here"

He honestly already forgot about the fried chicken order for him. He did have a thought earlier that maybe the imposter was just bullting him but he did not. He grabbed his sweater because it’s really cold outside. He walked as fast as he could to the gate.

“Your order has been paid. Enjoy your meal"

Seungri can’t believe his luck. With fried chicken in hands, he walked back to his room happily and start eating. That guy might be a delusional imposter but he really had a good taste in food.

Seungri - I'm eating the chicken now. Like you said, it's really delicious. Thanks for this

Jiyong - You're welcome. I hope the chicken would cheer you up.

Seungri- it did, really. Food always manage to cheer me up

Daesung come back to the room and find Seungri already eat chicken with a big smile on his face. He didn’t even touch the cold pizza that Daesung bring back.

..

Seungri – I like soccer. I play until middle school and I was really good if I say myself. I thought about being professional soccer player but my mother wouldn't allow me. She wants me to be a doctor.

Jiyong – I bet you would be an awesome soccer player. But your mother must think it's the best for you. You don't want to be a doctor?

Seungri – As time goes by, I starting to like the idea of becoming a doctor. I mean.. you won't manage to remember 206 bones with half- will so I might as well just like what I’m studying now

Jiyong – I can't wait to see you be an actual doctor

Seungri – Why?

Jiyong – I can imagine you would look totally hot in white coat

“Seungri, you're always on your phone nowadays" Daesung said with a pout. He stole the baked potatoes in Seungri’s plate. Not that Seungri care to eat his meal. He’s busy texting someone with his phone.

“Really?” Seungri asked, without looking at his friend. He smiled to himself when he got another flirty reply from the ‘Kwon Jiyong’.

“You barely make any conversation when we hang out. I'm bored. Where's the Seungri that I know?” Daesung feign tears, mouth still munching on the potatoes.

“You also always on your phone when you have a girlfriend” Seungri retorted. He noticed his baked potatoes was half gone so he took some pasta in Daesung’s plate.

“Yes, I know.. but I still...” Daesung trailed off before he stopped after his brain analyse what Seungri had said. “Wait a second! Is that it?”

“What?”

“You finally in a relationship? Oh my god this is huge! It's a girl or a dude?” he clapped his hands and squealed excitedly. For 5 years long being friend with Seungri, this is the first time this thing happens.

“I'm not in a relationship, . I'm just texting someone. Frequently. That’s it” Seungri said with a shrugged. He was texting Kwon Jiyong’s imposter every day. It’s weird but that guy actually an interesting person to talk with and it’s been awhile since Seungri find someone that has good sense of humour, flirty, a good listener and occasionally giving a life advice.

“Who? Care to tell your best friend?”

“Him" Seungri show his phone. He laughed when Daesung’s eyes went big after reading the contact name.

“What?? I thought you blocked his profile"

“Clearly not"

“You have been texting him all this time?”

“Yeah"

“Dude, that guy weird"

“Nah.. he's alright”

“I can't believe you! He

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter