Our memories

Mika and Yanyan's Nyt Short Stories
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Title : Our memories

Author: sweetymika

Pairing: Kwon Jiyong & Lee Seungri

Genre: fluff, tragic, angst

A/N : Thank god I finally finish this story >_< sorry I'm late. I suppose to upload this story yesterday. I am having cold so my writing is getting slower than usual.lol. So yanyan challenged me to write something about cat, treehouse and neighbour. This is the best I could do in my condition. I'm sorry if it's not that good :( anyway, enjoy the story and please leave comment if you can <3

 

**

The summer heat makes Jiyong dizzy. He huffed in annoyance as he flaps his open shirt in hoping to cool down his body a bit. He thought about taking off his shirt completely but he doesn’t want to risk any villager see his torso that full with tattoos. If the villagers are still as close-minded as he remembered when he was a kid, surely it would cause a stir and whisper with judging eyes from them. Jiyong has always been someone who hate the attention whether it’s good or bad so he decides to brace the heat and walk faster. His slim hand clutch tightly on the luggage handle and drag the heavy thing along with him. He curses his own decision to take bus instead of driving his own car. He totally forgets that the bus would disembark the passengers on the bus station in front of the village.

It's almost half an hour past when finally, a beautiful, big Tudor house come into view. That house was the biggest house in this village and people often glance in jealousy to its occupant. Jiyong only spare the house a quick look before moving on to the house next to it - a small, modest one.

There is an old man watering the flower in front of the house. Jiyong quick to recognize that face even though it’s already been 20 years since the last time he saw him.

“Dad"

The old man turns around, clearly surprise to see Jiyong standing in front of him. “Oh, you're really here"

“I told you I'm coming here to see you, right?”

“Yeah.. I still don’t believe that you would really be here" Jiyong’s father reply quietly as he ushers him into the house. “Your old room was turned into storage so just use this guest room instead" he said, pointing to the last room in the hallway.

“Okay. Thanks" Jiyong drag his luggage toward the said room. He did think it’s kind of rude to not give his father a proper greeting but he just don’t know what to do. A hug is too intimate and he never done that with his father even as a kid but a handshake seems too formal for family members.

“Rest for a bit then come down for dinner"

“You're going to cook?” Jiyong asks, clearly surprise.

“Did I ever?” is the immediate reply Jiyong get but then his father sigh and give a weary smile. “I do learn how to cook since I live alone, you know"

“That's.. good to hear.. I guess” Jiyong flustered. It’s too early to have any heavy conversation. “Can't wait to finally taste your cooking”

“Brat" Jiyong’s father countered under his breath and turn to leave but Jiyong did see his lips arch a little.

It's weird to think that is the most conversation they ever make since his parents divorced. Even when he still lives here, his father never said much to him. He mostly too drunk or too high to actually make a conversation.

As Jiyong entered the guest room, he is in awe. The bed was made of his favourite colour and everything inside the room filled with his old toys. His father clearly doesn’t have the heart to get rid of his thing and even decorate this guest room to his comfort. His hand reaches a frame picture of himself with a boy. Him in the picture smiles brightly and his hand wrapped around the other kid with a fat cat in between them. He smiles to himself as he recalled about his former neighbour who is also his childhood friend. He traces the picture with his fingers, eyes longing with the memories.

**

“Seungri! Don’t run too fast or you might fall!” Jiyong shout. He watches in amusement as Seungri run in circle around the fountain while Jiyong’s cat, Mimi, trailing from behind. He did slow down after Jiyong’s warning.

“That kid only listen to you. I told him to slow down several time but he ignored me” Mrs Lee grumble while serving orange juice to Jiyong and his husband. “He can’t run around like that with his condition” she is referring to Seungri’s weak heart but she refused to say it outright. Not like Jiyong doesn’t know about Seungri’s illness.

Mr Lee shakes his head, eyes still on the newspaper in his hands. “Well, too bad you’re not his favourite person. Or else he would definitely listen to you”

“Yes, I’m just his mother” Mrs Lee reply sarcastically.

Jiyong just sip on his orange juice in silent. It’s not the first time Mr and Mrs Lee banter about Seungri’s disobedient to them. Called it conceited but Jiyong kind of like the idea of Seungri just listening to him. It’s made him feel important to someone. Something he never have with his own family. Sometimes he just wishes the Lee family would adopt him. He would be a good brother to Seungri. But if they are brothers then they can’t..

“Hyung!” Seungri scream in distant.

Jiyong quickly raise from his seat and run toward Seungri who fall on the ground. He can hear Mrs Lee angry voice and Mr Lee who trying to calm her down and ask her to bring the first aid kit. “I told you don’t run too fast. You’re too clumsy” Jiyong mutter but he still wipes Seungri’s tears away and check his knee. It’s just a little scratch but this spoil boy making a big fuss out of it. Jiyong smile and did the only thing he know would shut Seungri up. He kisses the injured knee fondly. “See? I’ve kiss it better”

Unsurprisingly, Seungri stop crying and beam at Jiyong. “This is why I love Jiyong hyung” he says and hug Jiyong.

“I love you too” Jiyong reply easily and pat Seungri’s hair.

Mimi meow and nudge on Jiyong, making him notice his cat is also there. He pets her, making her purr in delight. Jiyong close his eyes, feeling the sun on his skin and Seungri’s warmth on his chest. He wishes he could have this forever.

**

It was a happy memory. Sometimes Jiyong still reminiscent his memory with Seungri. That is the only thing that keep him going with his life. But remembering happy memories with Seungri also remind him about his wretched past.

 

**

“Jiyong hyung!”

Jiyong hold back his tears and snuffle his runny nose. He hopes his eyes wasn't red as he slowly turns back to see Seungri who just climb up the treehouse. Jiyong never cried in front of Seungri and he swore he wouldn't ever. He is the one who told Seungri that boys don’t cry when Seungri was bawling after being bullied by other kids so he takes it upon himself to prove it. It's pretty tough words for a kid like himself who cried at night watching his father beat up his mother but Seungri didn't need to know that.

“Hey, you finally come" Jiyong greet with a force smile.

“Sorry I'm late. Daddy said I need to finish my homework first before I can play"

“But we promise to do our homework together”

Seungri grin. “That's what I told daddy but he said we would forget about our homework once we meet"

“It's you who always forget. I really did my homework” Jiyong retort. He always did his homework here in the treehouse because he can never concentrate in his own house. Not when he can hear his father's angry words and his mother's crying all the time.

“Okay.. not ‘we' but just ‘me' then" Seungri pout.

Jiyong chuckle and ruffle Seungri’s soft hair affectionately. “You be good and wait for me until I finish my homework. It won't be long"

“Can I play with Mimi while waiting?”

Jiyong unconsciously clench his fist. Mimi was barely survived after his father throw the poor cat on the wall in his fit of anger after Mimi meow nonstop because she's hungry. Jiyong usually brings Mimi along with him when he played with Seungri but not tonight because he doesn’t want Seungri to see how weak Mimi is now. “Mimi is down with flu so I didn't bring her tonight" he lied.

“Oh.. too bad..” Seungri's pout again.

“I have some story books that I got from library. You can read them instead"

“Is there anything about dragon?”

“Of course there is"

“Okay"

Jiyong start doing his homework while Seungri is still choosing which book to read. Jiyong don't understand Seungri's fascination with dragon until one day the younger explain it's because dragon is a strong, powerful creature. For a weakling like Seungri, he sees dragon as a hero and wish to be just like that. Jiyong bite back his tongue, didn't have the heart to break it to Seungri that dragon is a myth creature. Seungri still believe that dragon lives somewhere in Arizona, away from human population.

“I miss Mimi" Seungri suddenly mutter.

Jiyong sigh. It would be awhile until Seungri can see Mimi again. And now he also afraid of Mimi's safety. His father had said several times that he wants to get rid of the feline. “Say.. Seungri, would you like to take care of Mimi for me?”

Seungri perk up. “Like.. forever?”

“Erm, yes" Jiyong hesitate for a moment but he decides it was for the best. “Not now. After Mimi get better from her flu. Your parents didn't have any problem with pets, right?”

“But.. why? Why would you give Mimi to me?”

Jiyong know that Seungri's parents actually planning to give him a cat for his birthday next month. Mrs Lee asking Jiyong advice on which cat Seungri might like. Seungri already fond of Mimi and attach to her so why not giving his own cat to him if that's mean Mimi can have a better home and someone to take care of her. “Because I know you like Mimi. And Mimi is so strong. Not like dragon strong.. but still strong and very brave. She can help you get rid of the monster in the closet"

“But.. you love Mimi"

“And I love you too. It would be good for the two of my favourites be together. I believe you could take a good care of Mimi"

“Yes, of course I would!”

“And you would bring her every time we meet, okay?”

“Yes, that too"

“Then it settled"

**

The cat in the picture looking plump and healthy. Too different from when Mimi lived with him. Just after two months of living with Seungri's family who spoil the cat rotten, that feline gain weight and her fur as soft as cotton. Jiyong glad he gave Mimi to Seungri

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter