FINAL

Unlikely
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

You sat in your normal spot in the corner in the small café, stationed near the window.  The sky was filled with white clouds that filtered the sun, putting a soft satin lighting through the window.  There weren’t many people out, as the sky lightly threatened rain. The café also wasn’t too crowded, the conversations of a few people fading into the background as white noise.

 

It was just the way you liked it.

 

“Hey, Y/N.”

 

You looked up to see the barista, Jungkook.  He was basically your best friend since you were born, and he knew you better than you knew yourself.  In his hands was a warm cup of hot chocolate, with the creamy design of a leaf on the top.

 

You grinned.  “Hey, Kook,” you said.  You eyed the drink. “You’re getting better at that.”

 

He smiled sheepishly.  “I try,” he admitted. “Don’t you have work?”

 

“Says the part timer,” you teased, weaving the pencil you held through your fingers.  “This is work.  Unless I get picked up by a major company for animation or something, all I can do is freelance.”

 

“Bummer,” he said sarcastically.  “You love work.”

 

“So much,” you joked.  You gazed at him. “So, are we going to see that movie tonight?”

 

He chuckled as he set the hot chocolate down.  “The melodrama or the Marvel one?”

 

“The Marvel one, of course,” you said.  “I can’t stand gooey melodramas. I need some action in my boring life.”

 

“Me too,” he sighed.  “Business never seems to slow down here.  It’s almost like fate really doesn’t want me to leave.  I can’t even stay awake to pay bills when I get home. There’s just not enough time…”  Upon seeing your amused smile, he scoffed. “What?”

 

You giggled.  “You sound like an old man.”

 

He shrugged.  “Well, I am older than you.”

 

“Touché,” you said.  

 

“Jungkook!  Stop flirting and get your over here!  I need an Americano, a latté, and some warmed pastries STAT!” the manager, Jimin hollered from the register.

 

Jungkook pursed his lips.  “I’ll pick you up later tonight.  Is 7 good?”

 

“Great,” you said, grinning.  “Work hard!”

 

“You know I do,” he replied, winking before he walked back to the counter.

 

You smiled to yourself as you went back to what you were sketching.  Apart from your intense freelancing as an artist for logos and, once in a while, commissioned work and short films, you drew whatever came to mind.  In your mind, the more practice, the better, and what better place to practice than at a busy café, in the heart of the city? People usually came in all ages, sizes and ethnicities.

 

Then you felt something.  It was as though you were being watched.  

 

You glanced at Jungkook, who was busy with orders.  

 

You looked around at the few people sitting around you.

 

Nothing.

 

Then you locked eyes with a guy sitting across the room.  He looked away, blushing as you furrowed your eyebrows. He looked at you again and smiled shyly, his dimples deep.  You found yourself smiling back before looking back at your sketchbook.

 

Sure, he was cute, but wasn’t it borderline creepy to stare?  

 

--

 

Jungkook picked you up at your apartment that evening, and the two of you walked down the street to the cinema with linked arms.  Of course, he made sure to tell you all about all the customers he helped that day, from the sweet older couples to rushed business people.  You nodded along, listening absently with a teasing smile.

 

In truth, you were still thinking about that boy staring at you.  You tried to tell yourself that maybe he really wasn’t looking at you at all, but someone else in your direction.  But his eyes seemed to be directly on you. They were soft and gentle.

 

“And this bratty student had me make her drink again because the pumps of espresso weren’t the same amount,” he continued as they turned the corner to the movie theater.

 

“Kids are like that these days,” you said quietly.  

 

He glanced at you.  “You alright? You seem out of it.”

 

You looked at him and blinked.  “Yeah! Why wouldn’t I be?”

 

He pouted.  “You seem focused on something else.  Long day?”

 

“You bet,” you found yourself answering.  “I guess I’m still caught up with some art stuff.  I’m a bit stuck.”

 

“I’m sure you’ll get out of it,” Jungkook reassured you, unlinking your arms and taking your hand in his.  “You always do.”

 

You smiled.  “Thanks, Kook.  What would I do without you?”

 

“You’d probably still be okay, but without me, I don’t think you’d be the same,” he teased.  “Anyways, I really hope the Avengers beat that poor excuse of a purple grape.  If anyone touches my Iron Man, they’ll burn.”

 

“Or Spiderman,” you added.  “Heck, anyone. They’re all way too precious.”

 

“Tony Stark, especially,” Jungkook said.  “He’s so cool, the way he invents his tech and stuff.  If only I were half as epic…” He trailed off with dreamy eyes.

 

You poked his side, making him pout.  “You are epic, Jeon Jungkook,” you said.  “You’re epic in all ways. You’re an epic friend.  Sometimes you’re an epic fail, like that one time you --”

 

“Hey!” he exclaimed with a grin as he elbowed you lightly.  “I thought we agreed not to talk about that day ever again.”

 

You giggled.  “Oh, but Yoongi’s reaction!  Plus, you literally flipped over!”

 

“I oughta punch you one,” Jungkook muttered, throwing a playful punch at you.

 

You blocked it and blinked your eyes innocently.  “You wouldn’t punch a girl, would you, Kookie?”

 

He shook his head.  “I hate you.”

 

You grinned.  “Love you too.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter