Chapter 20: A Princess in Full Bloom and a Field of Dandelions  

Scarlet Dandelions (Editing in progress)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

They were broken up into smaller parties, with the Emperor, Great Khan, Bae ministers and other Khans sitting in a main group as they discuss matters of greater importance. Meanwhile, Prince Baekhyun, Prince Jongdae, Prince Kyungsoo and other accompanying princes and princesses from the Bae sat with the elder Mongolian princes. Naturally, Joohyun sat with Seungwan, Princess Taeyeon, the younger Mongolian princes and Adviser Miyoung. Theirs was the smallest party but the cosiest.

Joohyun’s eyes twinkled incessantly at the performances put up by the Mongolians and her attention kept veering to the huge firepits that were roasting calf, goat and boar. They were eating out in the open fields with giant wooden torches illuminating the ground. Joohyun was thoroughly fascinated by the cooking process and how the pit would emit sizzling sounds whenever the oils dripped into the fires. Seungwan had followed her gaze and smiled. Joohyun looked so beautiful.

“Worried that the meat might be overcooked?” Seungwan asked in jest.

Joohyun, who was taken aback by the question, gave an involuntary jerk. “N-No! Just that… I have never seen meat done like that. It is quite impressive.”

Seungwan burst into a chuckle as she opened her hand with her palm up beneath the dining table. Joohyun’s cheeks flushed red as she took the offer and interlaced her hand with the Mongolian princess’s.

“Don’t worry, our Mongolian chefs know what they are doing. Their way may seem really primitive but trust me, meat tastes best when it is done like that,” Seungwan said as she roved her eyes over the setting.

 

There was a dreamy quality to Seungwan’s eyes and Joohyun reckoned that it conveyed contentedness. Joohyun was happy too, she was finally here in Seungwan’s homeland. Seungwan was right, even at dusk, Joohyun could smell the sweet scent of nature; of the roaming cattle, wild fields and its flowers and above all, freedom. It made Joohyun slightly sad to think that Seungwan, who had grown up in such a place was forced to live with her in a palace where none of these existed.  

As a breeze blew over them and the fire crackled, Seungwan had shielded the princess carefully then draped a warm fur coat over her.

“Seems like the most wilful amongst us has truly grown up,” Prince Sehun who was sitting near them commented when he witnessed the gesture.

Seungwan clucked her tongue at her brother.

“You look so much healthier, Princess Joohyun. And a hundred times more beautiful than our bratty princess,” Prince Sehun complimented.

Seungwan threw a plain bun at Prince Sehun who caught it. Joohyun laughed and gave a small curtsy of thanks to the prince.

“They say a lady reaches her full bloom at the age of eighteen. This phrase is not wasted on Princess Joohyun,” Prince Jongin joined in.

“Well, but I doubt our Princess Seungwan will be that beautiful when she reaches eighteen,” Prince Sehun joked again and was attacked with another bun, this time round it hit his face.

“So barbaric, is this what the Bae court has taught you?” Prince Sehun asked tauntily.

Seungwan had given up as she rolled her eyes. Joohyun’s attention was temporarily stolen by a scene opposite of them where Princess Taeyeon and Adviser Miyoung were. Princess Taeyeon’s cheeks were heavily flushed from all the rice wine and was trying to send a piece of meat into the Adviser’s mouth. The Adviser was shy but looked happy nonetheless, like a really young and blissful couple. The thought struck Joohyun and the courtly princess soon found her attention riveted on the pair of elder ladies. Joohyun realised that Princess Taeyeon and the adviser truly shared a special relationship, perhaps a little like Seungwan and herself, just as Seungwan had often told her. Princess Taeyeon smiled so joyfully that Joohyun swore that this could be her brightest smile.   

“You want to be fed?” Seungwan asked suddenly with a sly grin.

Joohyun wrinkled her brows and shook her head.

“You want to be fed.” Seungwan stated this time round.

No matter how hard Joohyun had protested, when Seungwan had hovered the chopstick full of meat before her, Joohyun found herself eating from it obediently. The piece of meat tasted so much better when Seungwan had fed her but Joohyun would not say it out loud. Seungwan snickered as she picked up another piece and fed her again. Their eyes were connected with one another the entire time. In the night, Seungwan’s eyes were dazzling, like the brightest star in the dark sky. Joohyun had leant forward slightly, almost forgetting that they were out in the open before she pulled back. Her heart thundered in her chest, so hard that she was certain that it could be heard.

Seungwan seemed startled and jerked back as well. Then, grabbing the jug of wine that was on Prince Sehun’s desk, Seungwan began gulping the mulled wine down.

Prince Sehun’s hand had shot out and tightened around Seungwan’s wrist. “This is mine, get your own wine,” the prince said cheekily.

Seungwan, though disgruntled, did as she was told and ordered the men to bring her another jug of wine. Princess Taeyeon, who had seen it was immediately concerned but Prince Yixing had advised Princess Taeyeon from interfering.

They all watched as their youngest sibling drank, each challenging her to a toast. Joohyun began to worry when Seungwan’s cheeks blossomed pink.

“Seungwan.” Joohyun said in a hushed tone.

Seungwan had a faint smirk on her face as she paused her drinking and looked at Joohyun with mellowed-looking eyes. The wildling princess shook her head lightly and that was when Joohyun realised that Seungwan was trying to stay sober.  

Prince Jongin and Prince Sehun snickered to themselves.

“Seems like our wilful princess is drunk,” Prince Jongin said.

“I am not drunk!” Seungwan said loudly, the smell of alcohol rich from her breath.

The princes laughed louder. They were momentarily distracted by the commotion from the other party. Prince Jongdae, who had apparently underestimated the strength of the Mongolian wine had taken a drop too many and was now thoroughly intoxicated. The rest of their party seemed to be slightly tipsy as well as they goaded Prince Jongdae to brandish his sword.

Joohyun clung onto Seungwan’s arm and prayed she would not join their display of embarrassment. Seungwan had placed a reassuring hand on Joohyun’s arm to indicate to her that she was still sober enough. A bellow of laughter came from the Great Khan.

“Seems like our children are having a great time,” the Great Khan said.

The Emperor Bae looked slightly embarrassed but agreed. Swiftly, the Emperor called for the Bae men to see his drunken children back to their tent.

Joohyun had also called for Seulgi to help Seungwan back to their tent.

 

Seungwan had entirely sprawled herself on their bed once Joohyun and Seulgi laid her on it. The Mongolian princess had never felt so drunk in her entire life before. Her blurry vision could roughly make out Joohyun giving Seulgi instructions. Shortly after, when Seulgi had returned with something in her hands and left promptly, Joohyun had walked towards her.

Seungwan felt her corners of her lips lift into a smile. This was maddening, the courtly princess’s beauty was in full bloom and right at this moment she looked to be the most alluring being on earth. This most alluring being on earth was currently wiping her forehead with a warm towel. Seungwan’s eyes followed the beauty’s movements. Just as Joohyun was about to undress her and reach in to wipe her body, Seungwan had halted the beauty by her arms.

Joohyun let out a surprised gasp.

“Seungwan, you are drunk, don’t be stubborn, let me wipe your body,” Joohyun said.

Seungwan did not relent as she continued staring at the beauty’s face.

“Don’t tell me you are shy,” Joohyun said as a teasing grin formed on lips.

So beautiful, so enticing, so bewitching. Seungwan could take it no longer as she yanked Joohyun down towards her. Lifting herself, Seungwan touched her lips against Joohyun’s. The towel in Joohyun’s hand had dropped as she slung both her arms around Seungwan’s neck and they ravaged each other’s lips. The moment seemed to last forever until Joohyun yelped as she almost slipped. Seungwan caught Joohyun in her arms and held her.

“I’m home, Joohyun,” Seungwan said raspily.  

Joohyun angled her head upwards to look at Seungwan, brushing a finger against Seungwan’s jaw. “Yes, you are.”

“I want to keep you here with me, forever. Away from court affairs, away from that stifling palace, away from troubles,” Seungwan said as she rubbed her hand against Joohyun’s arm.

Joohyun nodded her head readily too as she snuggled against Seungwan’s chest. “I like it here too, I love it so much. Just us living simply, you could hunt all you want and I could raise some cattle. But as long as I am with you, anywhere else seems like a good enough place.”

Seungwan grunted in laughter. “That is true. Anywhere with my Princess Joohyun is a good place and all these talks are but mere dreams. This grassland, if not protected, will also be destroyed by the outlaws, the Turks and the Jin people. And your homeland… the prosperity of it has been a target of jealousy… even by our own men… I suppose we cannot just leave all of these behind… unprotected.”

Joohyun’s attention perked up and worry seeped into her voice. “Seungwan… as much as we may try to contribute, we can never hope to bear the full burdens of our sovereigns on our shoulders. I don’t want

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter