Chapter 18: The Child Rebel

Scarlet Dandelions (Editing in progress)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seungwan was fifteen when talks about Princess Taeyeon’s marriage to Prince Baekhyun intensified. It became one of the hottest topics together with the bestowment of the title of the Crown Prince. The Empress’s three sons, despite their youths, were highly favoured for the positions especially since they have also amassed fame for carrying out Princess Joohyun’s proposal.

It was a pity that Joohyun was not a prince, if not she was certain that Joohyun would have been an unrivalled candidate as the Crown Prince. Whatever the situation was, the fight for the position of the Crown Prince did not bother Seungwan. Her elder sister’s affair did.

Whilst Joohyun was still at court, Seungwan was having morning tea and breakfast at her sister’s quarters. In attendance of them were a few of her sister’s maids and Seungwan had borrowed Seulgi and brought her along. Sharing a knowing glance with her sister, both sisters dismissed their maids as they entered Princess Taeyeon’s room.

“Sister, have you done as Miyoung suggested?” Seungwan asked urgently.

Taeyeon nodded. Seungwan was referring to purposely letting a maid overhear a conversation about her personal fertility concerns with the physician. This maid was actually the Empress’s spy and Seungwan learnt about that a long time ago. It was common, for empresses and royal concubines to plant palace maids and guards of their own to spy on one another. That bit, Joohyun had taught her.

Seungwan’s lips curved into a knowing smile. “So… any updates?”

Taeyeon gave a half-shrug. “I am hoping that it works but I cannot be too certain. The Empress has been asking me a lot about my health.”

Seungwan raised a brow at her sister. “Don’t worry, sister. The Empress has taken the bait. That I am certain of.” 

Taeyeon widened her eyes. “How could you be so certain?”

“I have my little birds, sister,” Seungwan said as she put a finger to her lips.

It was not such a big deal actually, and the little birds Seungwan had referred to was actually much bigger birds. They were Prince Jongdae and Kyungsoo themselves who had accidentally let slip of the things they have overheard in their Mother Empress’s quarters. Just a little bit of coaxing using mulled rice wine and those information belonged to Seungwan.

“Seungwan, please be careful. Don’t be too haughty with your… information-gathering powers. We are, after all, not in our own territory and no matter how generous the Emperor has been treating us, tables might turn quickly. I don’t want you to fall into your own trap, Seungwan, do you understand me?” Taeyeon warned with a wealth of worry in her eyes.

Seungwan huffed out a breath and nodded. “I won’t, sister. I will be safe so don’t you worry about me and start worrying about the next steps. How to successfully return you to Mongolia, for good.”

Taeyeon nodded. “I have Miyoung’s plans in my head and I will proceed with care. Don’t you worry about me too.”

Seungwan grinned in her usual manner which worried Taeyeon a little. Reading the concern in Taeyeon’s eyes, Seungwan brought a hand up to halt her sister before she could speak.

“Sister, I have your words constantly in my mind and kept snugly in my heart. I have urgent matters to attend to beyond the palace. Could I please be excused, please?” Seungwan pleaded with her honeyed words and eyes which she knew would always soften her sister.

Bringing a hand up to her temple and massaging it with a loud sigh, Taeyeon waved her younger sister away.

The grin on Seungwan’s face grew wider as she skipped a little on her way out, “have a good day, sister.”

**

Seungwan had ridden out into the capital city in plain clothes and riding by her side was Seulgi. They had left the palace on grounds that Princess Seungwan was picking out a gift for her elder sister but in actual fact, they had other businesses.

“You ride as well as a veteran, not like someone who has been taught riding months ago,” Seungwan teased through her veil.

They had both worn bamboo hats and veils for the purpose of this business.  

“Princess Seungwan, stop it, you already know about my past. Don’t tease me,” Seulgi said exasperatedly through her own veil.

Months ago, Seungwan found out about Seulgi’s past and to be truthful, it did not deviate too far away from her own guesses.

Seungwan tailed Seulgi to the backcourt, her footsteps as soundless as a stalking leopard. Then, she finally saw what Seulgi was doing, practicing martial arts, like Seungwan did. Except, Seulgi’s martial arts was special, they had more sneak techniques. Was Seulgi a spy then? Perhaps sent by the Empress? If so, then why would she require the use of martial arts?

Seungwan made sure that the dagger that she had concealed under her sleeves was there before she emerged from the shadows.

“Who is it?!” Seulgi asked, her voice frightened.

Upon realising it is Seungwan, Seulgi’s voice trembled. “P-Princess Seungwan… I was not… don’t get me wrong… I was just…”

A string of incoherent phrases escaped from Seulgi’s lips as Seungwan continued looking at the palace maid, her expression severe.

“What are you doing, Seulgi?” Seungwan asked coldly.

“I was practising… just by myself…” Seulgi said timidly.

“I can see that. Why are you practising martial arts? What is the purpose of practising? Was it for the purpose of harming Princess Joohyun?” Seungwan asked bluntly, not even fearing if Seulgi should attack her because Seungwan was fairly certain, from the few she saw Seulgi execute, that the palace maid was good but not as good as Seungwan herself. 

Seulgi had broken into tears then and Seungwan became certain that Seulgi would not attack her. Still, Seungwan would not take any chances.

“Answer me why before I summon for the royal guards, then you will be answering in court instead,” Seungwan threatened and felt herself low for doing it.

“Please, please, no! Please don’t turn me in. I meant no harm, I am no longer a part of any rebel organisation, I just want to live quietly. I don’t want to take anyone’s life.” Those words escaped so carelessly from Seulgi’s lips that Seungwan was beginning to feel pity for the girl.

“Explain yourself more clearly, Seulgi,” Seungwan said once more, her voice chiller than the night and it produced the intended effect.

Before long, Seulgi had explained that how she was sold by her family to the rebel organisation since the age of five. Her family and herself lived in a dilapidated alley, the one that Seungwan had visited with her royal brothers. The people from the rebel organisation bought young children with the intention of training them to achieve goals that would be hard to do so with adult rebels. Therefore, Seulgi began to receive training since the age of five.

Amongst all the child rebels, Seulgi had one of the best physique yet she had a soft heart which the rebel organisation had tried to remedy. She had not been treated kindly and was often beaten and punished by starvation. Seulgi was driven to desperation but knew that she could not escape, because they would track her down if she did. Which was why she faked her own death in one of her mission and decided to escape by becoming a palace maid.

When Seungwan asked why a palace maid specifically, Seulgi had answered that it was because the palace was the most heavily guarded place and that she would be guaranteed shelter and food. It broke Seungwan’s heart a little. Later, Seungwan understood that Seulgi had been practising martial arts occasionally at night for fear that a day might really come when the rebels come looking for her. The chances of it was slim but it was not zero.

The next day, Seungwan told all of these to Joohyun who responded with an audible gasp but had promised to keep Seulgi’s secret. After all, it has been years since Seulgi had entered the palace and that no one would find out if they had not poked too deep into her background. Seungwan was delighted however, because not only had she been right about Seulgi but also she had gained a new sparring partner, a female at that too.   

Seungwan stretched her neck to a side then the other as she laughed. “Fine, I will stop teasing you but Seulgi, you really must remember to stop calling me princess now that we are out of the palace.”

Seulgi smiled sheepishly. “Sorry, I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter