Chapter I: Moon Taeil

NCT ONE SHOTS

Chapter poster by @lovehyuck on Instagram

"Honey, he's here, get up and change into something else," Your mother shook you awake and gently pushed your hair out of your face. You frowned and sniffled, stretching your mouth and realised you had dried drool lining from your bottom lip to your chin. 

"Ugh--" Groaning, you sat up in your bed, a simple peach shade blanket twisted about your legs and your shorts pulling up way higher than your thighs. "What? Who's here?" You closed your eyes and refused to get out of bed.

"Your boyfriend, who else?" Your mother snickered and picked up a pillow from the ground you most likely kicked off. Frowning and completely in confusion, you instinctively looked at the clock next to your bed. It was 9am on a Saturday, and he was here?

"What the-- what for?! Yah! Moon Taeil!" You screamed from your bed, annoyed that his presence had woken you up. 

Your mother shot you an inappropriate look when the sound of some heavy footsteps ran up the stairs of your home. Soon enough, the brown haired 25 year old gently pushed through your door and blinked at your mother, then at you. He awkwardly scanned you, noticing that you were in a fitting long sleeved top and homeshorts that were rolled up near your . Taeil instantaneously shifted his eyes away and looked at your mother instead.

"I left the muffins in the oven, so just heat 'em up when you're hungry," Taeil grinned and placed his hands over each other infront of him.

"Aw," Your mother melted as she turned to you. "Thank you. Such a thoughtful young man," She chuckled and headed out. The man knew your mother was a er for muffins. Toasted, hot, muffins.

"9am on a Sunday? Really?" You rubbed your eyes and fell back into your bed, pulling the sheets up and covering your face. 

"Awh, come on, sugar. It's our 6th anniversary. Don't you want to do something fun? I mean, other than university, we're both working and we barely have the time," You felt the side of your bed next to your legs sink. 

"Exactly. We should just stay home and watch movies or something," You mumbled through your lips, your eyes groggy and slowly closing back up. 

"No, we did that the last two years. Come on, sugar. Six is a lucky number," He leaned over and lied down on your legs. You snorted and pushed the blanket off your face, looking down at those familiar pair of puppy eyes.

"Yeah? Says who? Satan?" You raise a brow.

"No, me." Taeil sat up and quickly kissed your forehead. "I have a whole day planned out, sugar. You'll have fun, trust me." He got off the bed and headed for the wardrobe.

"Last I checked, sweet pea, we rarely enjoy the same things," You sat up and watched him rummage through your wardrobe. "You like karaoke and chill days in the park and I'm... well, sports and the hot sun," 

"Well, news flash, we are doing both today," Taeil smiled as he pulled out a sundress in one hand and held up a pair of your favourite black converse sneakers. 

"What about the red one--"

"No, it shows your back."

"But--"

"No."


Sometimes, being Taeil's girlfriend means being a daughter a second round. Every single thing in her bag had been packed for her, a bottle, an umbrella, some mosquito repellent patches and plasters. Everything else you needed to survive on mars was in a separate backpack that Taeil would be carrying the rest of the day. 

"Enjoy yourself today, honey," Your mom kissed you goodbye as Taeil threw his bag in the backseat of his car and got round to the passenger's seat. Your mother let you go after a hug, gently pushing you towards the man who awkwardly leaned over the hood of the car to clean a patch of bird poop strategically located in a spot where it was tough for him to reach.

"He's not what we both expected, but he's a truckload better than any guy I've seen on the street," Your mother whispered under her breath, loud enough for you to hear. You whirl around and watched him wince as he stretch for the spot. The corners of your lips curled upwards, nodding unconsciously as you realised both how long and how short 6 years was. Dating him was like dating another mother. Nights passed in his arms that were never rock hard, but soft and gentle. He could sing until you fell asleep, and you'd wake up to the same voice. Though he was the moon who loved music and soothing winds and you were the sun who loved the heat on your skin and the sound of yelling when you scored a point and nobody could see the two of you dating, it still happened. Every single time you fought, he was the first to apologise but he'd have the patience to walk through the entire period of argument with you so that it wouldn't happen again in the future. 

"Hold on to him. He'll be quickly fished up by someone else if you don't," Your mother said again as you continued watching him finish up the cleaning job. He whirled around in about 3 or 4 circles, looking for a bin, before throwing the tissue away in a bin a considerable distance away from the car.

"I will," Giving your mom a peck on the cheek, you head off into your boyfriend's arms. He waved to her and opened the car door for you.

"So, event planner," You pulled the seatbelt across your chest. "What's today's itinerary?" Taeil gave a small laugh and started up the engine, refusing to say anything as he pressed a finger to his lips. You opened your mouth in feigned shock, honestly not the least bit surprised. Taeil was one for planning small surprises, ranging from a single flower stalk to a grand dinner overlooking the city's skyline. Of course, you didn't mind the scale -- being with him was enough. 

As you predicted, the first stop was an amusement park. You loved everything there, the rollercoasters, the aggressive viking ride, walk-through horror houses, but you were a little taken-aback. Why? Because none of it was Taeil's cup of tea. You could tell from the way he nervously fiddled with the straps from his backpack and constantly shoving his hair out of his face that he was uncomfortable, almost like he was forcing himself through the ordeal.

"Pea, you don't need to do this for me, you know? I know you're scared of rollercoasters and you don't do horror walk throughs, we can always come back another day whenever you're ready," He had his arms wrapped around your neck and you were leaning back onto him, waiting for the line to enter the amusement park to shift forward. He shook his head again, pressing his lips onto your temple and gently brushed the small, isolated strands of hair out of your face.

"I'll have to get it over with, someday. Especially if it's going to be with you for the rest of my life," Taeil smiled and pecked your head. 

You swore Taeil's vocal chords would've been destroyed by the amount of screaming he did through all the rides. For awhile, you worried if you were ever going to be able to listen to his sweet, honey-like voice that sent you to dreamland or woke you up into a beautiful reality, but him being the person he was, he had small packets of honey and throat soothing sweets packed in his backpack to make sure his voice wasn't going to be damaged. But what did get damaged were your eardrums when you walked through the horror house with him standing right behind you. He insisted on hugging you from behind and going through the horror house, and to make things even worse, the amusement park was rather empty for a saturday. So the only target the scare actors had were the two of you, and who else to scare but the one who reacts the most and the loudest?

"You know, for a 25 year old who's terrified of horror houses, I think you were pretty brave in there," You sipped on your drink and reached for the burger.

"Oh, come on. He came at me from behind! Be prepared for that!" Taeil pressed out the remaining chilli sauce into a small sauce tray and placed it next to your fries.

"I was definitely not prepared for that note you belched out because of him," You snickered with a full mouth.

Taeil rolled his eyes and unwrapped his burger. "Keep quiet and eat your food,"

Lunch went past with fries nearly being hurled at one another and people staring at you, and the next stop was at a dog cafe. The only things the both of you wanted if you guys ever got married were dogs, because children seemed too tiresome and too expensive. Unlike normal people who loved pomeranians and golden retrievers, you were trash for german shepards. And there was a particular chocolate coated one with still folded ears and seemed relunctant to leave his spot in the corner of the room, it drawn you towards him more. The puppy nuzzled against your finger before carefully crawling into your lap, your fingertips as you fed him some dog treats Taeil had gotten you.

Taeil wasn't interested in any other the other dogs, all his eyes could focus on were you, your patience with the puppy and how much you were obviously in love with him. 

The puppy began the metal ring on your finger, then began trying to bite on it. 

"Oh, no, no," You removed your hand from the puppy's reach, wiping the ring and finger on the side of your dress. The ring was given to you for your 3rd anniversary, from Taeil. A promise ring, and on it embedded the date of which he asked you to go out with him and it became official. On your's had a carving of the word "Moon" and his, "Stars". Oh, how fun it would be if I could bring you home. 


"How come we're back at my house? The sun's not even beginning to set yet--" You looked over to Taeil as he slowed to a halt. He reached to the back and grabbed your purse, handing it to you and your hand, along with the ring on it.

"6 is a lucky number. I got us a nice table at that restaurant you always wanted to go to. So, you're gonna go back in, change and dress up into something you make look pretty, and I'll see you back out here at 7pm." Taeil's eyes folded into little crescents as he spoke.

"Awh, really?" Your heart died on the spot. "Doesn't that mean I'm going to get to see you in a suit?" You raised a brow. Taeil wasn't one for suits, but he sure as Hell looked good in them. He laughed and on his upper row of teeth.

"Yes, yes you will," Taeil nodded and looked at you straight in the eye. "I'll see you tonight, sugar. I love you so much. I just want you to be happy, especially with me," Taeil leaned towards you and kissed your forehead, staying there for a few seconds. 

"I am. I always am," You pulled his chin down and kissed him on the lips. "I'll see you later," You pushed yourself out the car and dashed for the door, not even bothering to wave goodbye to him since you were going to see him again in less than 3 hours.

"Mom! Help me pick out a dress, please. Taeil got a table that amazing place we had for dad's dinner a few years back and I want to look my best for him," You kicked off your converse shoes and bolted up the stairs, yelling at your mom who was in the kitchen. 

"What? He's got a table there? That's amazing!" She laughed from the kitchen.

"I know! And I need help with picking out a dress!" You were already pulling out the pins from your hair and taking off the light makeup you had on. Your mother had come into your room. 

"Calm down, honey," Your mom pulled you away from the mirror, one eye cleaned and the other not. "You go into the bath and freshen yourself, and I will pull out all your good dresses and your color palletes,"

You were the luckiest daughter on earth. "Oh my God, thank you mom. I love you to bits," You kissed her on the cheek and gave her a tighthug before being pushed into the bathroom by her.

The dress was laid flat and pressed for you on your bed, with the most beautiful pair of silver heels to match the silver details on your dress. You don't remember getting that dress. 

Nonetheless, on your skin it went and so did some makeup, definitely not forgetting your favourite ring. A silver purse along with the outfit and you felt excited, not only because it was at the best restaurant with the best food you had ever had in your entire life overlooking the city, but it was also with Taeil, the only person you'd rather be with besides your family.

"Mom?" You walked down the stairs and headed for the door. "Where did you get the dress from? I seriously don't remember--"

"You look beautiful, my baby girl," She appeared from the living room, a bright smile plastered on her face. "Oh my, it's like 5 minutes past 7, he's already outside waiting for you, better not be late," She opened the door for you. "Have fun," Pulling you into the tightest hug in awhile, she brushed away the small strands that framed your face prettily, looking at the gorgeous earrings and necklace you had put on as well.

Taeil was looking like the most gorgeous man on earth, and for a moment, you refused to believe the man in a bowtie and a suit, leaning back on his car with his hands in his pockets was the same man who had trouble looking for a dustbin this morning.

A smile spread across your face unknowingly, carefully walking down the steps of the porch and towards him. His hair was done up and as he straightened himself, you saw the glitter from the ring he had on his finger as well. 

"Well, you look handsome," You teased, walking up to him and realising that the heels brought your eyes up to his nose. 

"And you made the dress look really pretty. Come on, we could flirt the rest of the night but our table would be given up if we don't get there by 8," Taeil wrapped his arm around your shoulders and turned you around to the passenger's seat, opening the door for you.

As your mother watched from the window of her room, she couldn't help but to tear up and smile to herself. She knew.

A table by the window with the citylights as your view?

Unbelievable.

But this? 

This was everything.

It felt like it had been 6 seconds, the entire 6 years you had been with him. His heart was made of gold and he was more clumsy than careful, but he was patient and had the most considerate soul you had ever met. You must've saved a country in your past life, because you were sure you hadn't done anything in this life to deserve him. The way the corners of his eyes crinkled when he laughed, his pretty teeth that made his smile the most handsome one out of all the other guys you had dated before him, his calm and gentle voice when he spoke... he was perfect for you, and nothing could ever change it. 

"Sugar," He called. 

"Mmm?" You hummed in response, realising that your eyes were starting to notice the couple at the table behind him was now gone, the dessert in your plate was no longer and the wine glass was only filled with about a spoon's worth of champagne. 

"You okay? You're zoning out," He laughed and finished his champagne.

"Oh, no, I'm good. Really good. Food's amazing as ever, the city is beautiful and my view is to die for," You smirked and raised a brow at him. He scoffed and shook his head, dabbing the corners of his mouth with the napkin.

"Isn't the guy supposed to do most of the pick up lines? Why are you stealing my role?"

"Well, modern times call for... unconventional roles," You shrugged and finish your drink.

Taeil smiled and looked at you.

"Come on, we've done everything you love today, time to head to somewhere love,"

Thank the gods your heels were surprisingly comfortable, though you also couldn't remember how you got them. Taeil had brought you to his favourite park, one where you could see the river and the city lights on the opposite side. The wind was chilly, but comfortable after he had wrapped his blazer around you and hugged your waist under the coat. There were two or three joggers every few minutes, but otherwise, a rather peaceful and quiet night, unlike the amusement park this morning. 

"Sugar," He said, only loud enough for you to hear.

"Yeah," You put your forehead on his shoulder. 

"Give me your hand," He slowly pulled away and stretched out his palm. You looked at him weird, smiling abit in confusion. "The one with our ring on it," Taeil nodded his head toward your right hand. You looked down at both his hands and noticed he wasn't wearing the ring anymore. You frowned, genuinely confused. Why was he not wearing the ring anymore? Was it over? Did you piss this angel off? 

He gently took your hand and pulled off the ring, and before you could process the action, he had knelt down and pulled out a velvet blue box.

"You've worn that ring for three years now, I thought it'll be nice to have it... upgraded," Taeil's eyes were sparkling as he looked up at you. He pulled open the box and in it sat the prettiest thing you had ever seen in your life. 

"I know it's not the most common wedding ring you'd expect to see but--" 

You knelt down and kissed him, shutting him up and feeling your nose turn sour and your eyes burn a little.

"You can fulfill your role now," You whisper, barely pulling away.

"Will you marry me?" Taeil smiled, already pulling out the ring from the box.

"Yes," You nod aggressively and hugged him tightly, before he slid the ring on your finger again after 3 years.

"You're welcome for the shoes and dress," He smiled, admiring the ring on that fateful finger. "And also the puppy you'll find at home later."