001: New Beginnings

OUR PREDESTINED END

Beginning Notes: Hello guys! As I’ve told you, we’re not done with this. As we start with another book, I would like to ask for everybody to take note of the dates and time here. Chapter 1 is a new beginning and I need to include all the necessary details for you guys to understand more. The time between Vancouver, Canada and South Korea is 17 hours, SK is ahead while the difference between UK and SK is 9 hours, still, SK is ahead. I changed a lot of things here and my beta will surely notice it especially with the time. If I miscalculated something, please tell me.

And just to note, JK and his grandparents are coming back from UK so it’s 12 hours and 30 minutes travel time. If that part ever confused you, tell me so I can explain further with the help of Google.

Okay, so a lot happened and it is too early to judge the characters here for what happened. I am not yet giving you each character’s POV so if somehow one character frustrates you because you think what happened is their fault, then you definitely need to wait for the next chapters. The MISUNDERSTANDING tag is up there for a reason. The SECRETS tag on IYAIC is there for a reason and it definitely made the whole story around. So trust me on this, I got this.

Please join me for another adventure of misunderstandings, conflicts and dramas. E N J O Y !

--

“Oh, good morning hyung!” Jihoon greets as soon as Taehyung steps into their office, coffee at hand. “Yeonjun is seated at your desk, he arrived earlier with his mother, she said you were expecting him.”

 

“Ah, yes. I am expecting him. Thanks, Jihoon.”

 

He walks past Jihoon and opens the door to his office. An office he will soon vacate as he is up for promotion. His smile broadens as soon as he spots the child in his swivel chair, probably drawing something in one of his sketch books.

 

“Hey, munchkin. Good morning.”

 

Yeonjun raises his head and smiles. “Hello, Taehyungie-hyung…”

 

Jeon Yeonjun is Jeon Somi’s child which makes it a given that he has inherited some of those Jeon features. Some days, Taehyung wanted to hate the kid for having Jungkook’s eyes, but he loves him. 

 

He’s four years old, or five in Korea, and Somi had him at an early age. Everyone was ecstatic to have a new addition to their family. All sides of the family spoil him rotten, especially the Jeons, they absolutely adore the child. Taehyung remembers how the grandparents came all the way from England just to welcome the baby. The youngest of the family used to be Jeon Junghyun but now it's Jeon Yeonjun and Junghyun doesn’t mind, he's excited at being called "hyung".

 

Somi needed help to take care of the child and Taehyung stepped in. Somi has to complete her final year in college and needs help taking care of the child, so Taehyung stepped in.  He's not complaining, Yeonjun is a fluff ball and adorable and very smart.

 

“Have you had your breakfast, munchkin?”

 

“Yes… mom made sure to give me some before we left to come here.”

 

Yeonjun is a bright kid. He talks straight without stuttering, something Jongwan claims to be a Jeon trait at that age. “He’s almost like Jungkook at this age… Jungkook was quiet as a child, but he knew how to talk and once he did, he spoke without a stutter.”

 

The Jeons are smart, that’s something the world had accepted as soon as the family became one of the richest families on earth and all their offspring are gifted. Kim Namjoon, Min Yoongi and Jeon Jungkook are all proof of that, out in the business world.

 

“Okay so… do whatever you want on my coffee table okay? We’ll order some lunch later.”

 

“Namjoon-hyung said he’s taking us out for lunch today.” Yeonjun murmurs from coloring his probably now finished drawing, before climbing down from Taehyung’s chair. “He came here to say hello before you came."

 

“Oh… okay, guess we’ll just wait for Namjoon-hyung to pick us up here.”

 

“Yes.”

 

They work quietly for the next few minutes until Taehyung notices Yeonjun nodding off, nearly toppling over.

 

“Yeonjun, are you sleepy?” the child flinches, and nods cutely before finally falling on his side. “What time did you sleep last night?”

 

“I slept late… mom bought me something to color and it’s a lot… I started to color one and I want to finish it in one go so I was late, way past my bedtime… mom scolded me, but she tucked me in to sleep. She said it was midnight…”

 

“Okay then… wait up. I’ll go ask someone to bring in some blankets.”

 

But Yeonjun is already sleeping giving Taehyung a chance to admire his features. Yeonjun, despite his young age is handsome, it's a little unfair because kids should look cute, maybe it really is the Jeon genes.

 

There's a knock on the door, followed by Jimin's head peeking through. “You came.” He greets and pats the child’s hair. “Yeonjun fell asleep as soon as he moved to sit on the sofa…”

 

“I’m not surprise anymore, the kid sleeps anywhere.” Jimin slowly sits beside him and puts Yeonjun's head in his lap. “Kind of reminds me of someone…”

 

Taehyung freezes and Jimin notices the sudden action but does not apologize. Reminders of Jungkook permeate everything and although the things people say can sometimes catch Taehyung off guard, none of it hurts. It comforts him. Jungkook may not be here physically but his essence is everywhere, especially on the people who worked with him directly. It's why Taehyung never left JGC.

 

Five years have passed since Jungkook left Korea. At some point somewhere the promised open lines of communication were lost, still Taehyung kept his promise not to contact Jungkook. The first three months were bearable because Jungkook called him almost every day. The next three months, they started to get used to being far away from each other. They were coping well.

 

It's the following three months after that, which made Taehyung's hope crumble because Jungkook didn't call anymore.

 

Jungkook has kept in touch with others though Jongwan and Hoseok are the only ones who freely communicate with him. They keep him updated with what the younger is up to which staves off the longing for a while.

 

Still, sometimes Taehyung wants to scream in frustration because he never gets to find out why. What did he do for Jungkook to cut off communication with him completely?

 

“Hey Tae? You okay?”

 

Taehyung doesn’t answer. He doesn't want to lie.

 

“The last news we heard, was he’s helping Namjoon-hyung and Yoongi in handling the company affairs from England…”

 

“He won’t come back, Jimin.” Taehyung says with finality in his voice which makes Jimin suddenly go quiet. “If he’s coming back, he would’ve done so two years ago…”

 

“He probably thinks he’s not ready yet, Tae.”

 

“Jimin… it takes three months for other couples to move on and – “

 

“Don’t even try to convince me that you believe in that three months-rule , Tae. I know you don’t and you’re not just any other couple. Even if that unwritten rule is true, it still depends on the weight of the situation, and the situation you have with Jungkook needs more than three months to move on from, Tae.”

 

“But still!” Taehyung doesn’t mean to raise his voice, but this topic is just too sensitive for him. “He should’ve called me… if it would take him longer, he should’ve called me… he should’ve told me that he’s planning on taking more time. I would've understood and supported him. He stopped calling me after nine months, Jimin. What was I supposed to think about that? Do you mind telling me?”

 

Jungkook made the decision to move away and live in Canada with his mother and younger brother and attending school there. Jungkook needed time to acclimatize, but he swore he was okay, happy even. Taehyung remembers the first call from Jungkook was a week after he moved to Canada, Jungkook was talking about his adjustments to the new university and how difficult it was to make some friends, but he’s doing it slowly.

 

Jungkook also informed him that he had passed the AP exams and could start with his third year immediately, instead of completing second year first.

 

“I’ll be staying in Canada for a year, Tae… after that, I’ll be flying to England and complete my masters which I think would take me a year or two to finish.”

 

“Business Degrees only take you three years to complete?”

 

“Yeah, three years for the original degree and another year for the master’s degree. I could do the masters over a two-year period, if I do it part-time. I’ll only take it for a year then stay with my grandparents for another year to learn from them, I guess. I’ve wanted to learn from Grandpa directly, not saying Dad is any less competent… it’s just, I always looked up to him even as a kid and you know… I wouldn’t want it any other way.”

 

“Hmm… okay, tell me more.”

 

“Studying in Canada for a year before flying to England to take my masters for a year then stay for another year to learn from Grandpa so that means it will only take me three years away from you…”

 

“Three years without you, huh?” Taehyung tried not to sound like he’s crying, but he knew his voice gave him away. “I – I can wait until then… three years is short.”

 

“Tae…”

 

He remembers crying himself to sleep after that call. Jungkook didn’t ask him to promise anything but he knew Jungkook wanted him to. He didn’t promise Jungkook anything, but he made sure to tell him he would wait no matter how long it took the younger to come back.

 

Being fourteen hours ahead, it wasn’t easy to adjust to their time difference. Taehyung was awake while Jungkook was sleeping. Jungkook tried his best to call Taehyung when it’s morning in Korea, he made sure to eat dinner while Taehyung ate his breakfast. It was their routine for the first three months, but that changed in the next three months.

 

Jungkook became busy. Aside from his classes at university, he also helped with his mother’s company, holding meetings and closing business deals. Of course, these mother and son activities were known in JGC as part of the conglomerate. Misun’s family is after all are almost equal in wealth and business, to the Jeons. Jungkook told him that he helped his mother sorting some business meetings and closed some deals for them, and those activities done by mother and son is of course heard by the JGC Community.

 

Being very much involved with his mother’s business, Jungkook sometimes joined in on video conferences. Jongwan is happy to know that his ex-wife is back on top of her game, after the break she took to come back to Seoul. Her family was not very accepting of the divorce at first, but they are slowly learning to, after Jungkook had discussed it with them.

 

At first, Taehyung was okay with it. He understood that it was all part of Jungkook’s learning to cope with the changes in his life and the healing process. He didn’t mind that some mornings when he woke up, Jungkook was no longer calling him to join him for breakfast with his own dinner. He really didn’t. It was okay.

 

The following months became the most unbearable since Jungkook didn’t call him anymore. He’d been thinking about what could have gone wrong, had he done something to deserve being shut out? No matter how he wracked his brain, there was nothing, no possible reason. He just couldn’t find the answers.

 

Taehyung didn’t stop asking about Jungkook through Jongwan though. At first, Jongwan was surprised when he enquired after Jungkook because he knew that his son was calling Taehyung. However, after he found that Jungkook had stopped calling, it became a routine for him to share news about Jungkook with Taehyung.

 

“Jungkook got sick today.”

 

“Jungkook is taking advance classes.”

 

“Jungkook is helping his mom today.”

 

“Jungkook is with Junghyun.”

 

Even the littlest things about Jungkook were delivered to him by Jongwan, until that stopped as well.

 

Jongwan never spoke of Jungkook to him again, and he wonders if Jungkook had asked him to stop.

 

By the time the news came of Jungkook flying to England, Hoseok was the one to tell him about the younger’s plans.

 

One conversation with Hoseok in particular, really hurt him though.

 

“Has he been asking about me too, hyung?”

 

Hoseok looked at Taehyung, sadness in his eyes. Taehyung knew then that he’d be hurt by the other’s answer.

 

“No Tae… and I also find it weird because every time I mention your name, he’ll change the subject and – “

 

How could he have believed that they could make it work?

 

How could he have believed that Jungkook would keep his promises?

 

Oh but, Jungkook never promised him anything...

 

Jungkook would come back, but he never promised to come back to Taehyung.

 

Taehyung always hated goodbyes and even though Taehyung never heard it from Jungkook, it felt like “goodbye”.

 

And even without hearing it, it hurts.

 

“Tae?”

 

He flinches back to reality when Jimin wipes away the tears on his cheeks. His best friend pulls him into a hug and as much as he wants to appreciate it, as much as he used to, Taehyung can no longer feel anything.

 

“I’ll take Yeonjun back, okay?”

 

“Yes… please do. Thanks, Jimin.”

 

Three years was the estimated time Jungkook would be away from Korea, but as of now, it has been five years and there is still no indication that he will be coming back.

 

He never came when Yeonjun was born.

 

He never came when Junghyun and Misun visited every Christmas and New Year.

 

He never came for anyone’s birthday.

 

The last thing he heard about him was when Grandfather Jeon told him that Jungkook decided to formalize his hobby in architecture by doing a three-year architectural degree while he interns with his grandparents.

 

He’s happy that Jungkook is making progress with his life, so with that thinking, he decided to improve himself as well. With Jongwan and Sejin’s encouragement, Taehyung re-enrolled in university and pursued a business degree. He attended seminars and workshops to improve his skills and stay up to date with the latest trends. Now, not only is he a highly sought-after interior designer but also a brilliant asset in JGC’s business dealings

 

He’s proud of his accomplishments. He’s proud that he used Jungkook’s absence to improve himself and be worthy of the younger, if one day he should return. Taehyung also promised himself that when Jungkook comes back, no one will ever take him away again.

 

--

 

Later that night when Taehyung reaches his now apartment (Jin and Jimin told him to keep it for himself), Yeonjun is with Yoongi and Namjoon in the living room, probably drawing something again.

 

He tries very hard to be quiet, but he stops as soon as he hears Yeonjun speak.

 

“Jungkookie-hyung… I heard mommy talking to him last night…”

 

He sees Jin and Jimin come from the kitchen upon hearing this and Taehyung is confused on why his friends looks like they’re in a hurry. They’re clearly panicking. He also sees Namjoon and Yoongi turn to the child abruptly.

 

“Mommy always makes me talk to Jungkookie-hyung… but mommy says he’s busy so there will be times that we can’t talk to him.”

 

“And? What did you talk about?”

 

Taehyung wonders what made the others suddenly talk about Jungkook, but he stays hidden.

 

“He’s been teaching me some things. He said I’ll be learning from him personally soon…”

 

“Is Somi planning on taking you with her to England?”

 

Yeonjun shakes his head and Taehyung’s heart starts to beat faster.

 

“He said he’s coming back soon…”

 

The sound of Taehyung’s briefcase hitting the floor, echoes through the whole apartment, startling everyone inside.

 

“Y-Yeonjun-ah… are you s-sure you’re talking to your Jungkookie-hyung? You haven’t even met him… how –”

 

“Taehyung calm down.” Hoseok says and Taehyung is surprised to see him leaning against the kitchen counter.

 

“How long have you been there – “

 

“I’ve been here since you came in. And yes, Yeonjun has been talking to Jungkook.”

 

“Can y-you tell me more about that?”

 

“Jungkookie-hyung’s pictures back in the mansion made it easy for me to know it was him the first-time mommy introduced him to me through the video call… he is really handsome, and he was very happy to see we have the same eyes… Everybody inside the mansion knew him and they are calling him the Jeon’s Heir. And I don’t know what that means but I know he’s someone special for everyone in the family…”

 

“When did you start talking to him?”

 

“By the time I reached age four… they said Jungkookie-hyung asked to see me that night after my birthday party and that’s the first time we speak…”

 

With his shaking legs, Taehyung move to occupy the single sofa and Hoseok sighs as he gets closer to where they are. Taehyung was there during Yeonjun’s party yet he never knew the kid started talking to Jungkook on that very day.

 

He thinks for himself for a while, remembering that night when it’s just him and the other guys left in the mansion to celebrate with Yeonjun.

 

The kid’s party is over after 7pm, at least that’s what he remembers then. Yeonjun is sitting between him and Jimin that evening as he is opening gifts from the six of them.

 

He remembers Hoseok being noisy that night, excited for Yeonjun to open his gift for him and the kid truly admire Hoseok ever since and the scene of them being playful is really entertaining to everyone.

 

Until the merry conversation were cut-off when Somi came out from the mansion, collecting her son because apparently, someone called from England which Taehyung assumed then to be the Grandparents since they weren’t there to celebrate with them. He was expecting to be called as well that night because ever since Sejin stayed permanently in the Jeon’s mansion, they’ve become family literally. So getting calls from the Jeon’s in England, especially during special occasions such as this, they are expecting them to call everyone and join the video call.

 

But the invitation never came, instead Somi told them that it’s a private call and to his confusion, his friends just shrugs it off, saying they understand and they really should leave the kid to talk to them because it’s his day that day.

 

And Taehyung remembers agreeing that evening but now, as he looks at his friends, he knew even without them telling him that they probably know that it’s Jungkook who called that night.

 

“The day Yeonjun was born, Jungkook called Somi to tell her she did a great job… he wasn’t here in Korea Tae, but he was there through phone calls… and I think Yoongi and Namjoon knew that.”

 

The mentioned looks away guiltily as he stares at them with disbelieving looks.

 

“All those family parties, may it be the Christmas parties, the New Year’s party and birthdays, he was there through phone calls. But – “

 

“We never mentioned it to you because Jungkook asked us not to tell you and we’re confused Tae.” Yoongi cuts off Hoseok. “I thought you guys were doing well, but then I heard he stopped calling you. He asked us not to tell you anything about him anymore as well.”

 

“So, you mean to tell me that you guys have always been in-touch with him?”

 

“All of us are in-touch with him Tae.” Jin says softly.

 

He turns to look at Jimin who only fiddles with his fingers.

 

“Is that why you’re in my office earlier? Because I just remembered, Jin-hyung was supposed to take Yeonjun back.”

 

“I just – I couldn’t wait to tell you about the news, Tae. Even after everyone warned me not to tell you and Jungkook said he didn’t want to give false hope because he was still undecided about his plans but – but then you sounded as if you had given up on waiting for him and – “

 

“Simply put, Jungkook is planning to come back, Tae.” Namjoon says. “It will be announced at tomorrow’s meeting, I guess.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“The heir is coming back. Uncle Jongwan will be resigning from his post and Jungkook is about to take over.” Namjoon looks at his wrist watch. “Right now, its Monday 10:49pm here… it’s also Monday there, but since we’re 9 hours ahead, it’s still early 1:49am there.”

 

“You mean as we speak they – “

 

“Yes, Tae. They’ll be on their plane back to Korea, five hours from now.” Yoongi clarifies and Jimin stands beside him.

 

“They will be taking a direct flight, so we have 11-12 hours before they land in Incheon. Since they have five more hours to wait before their flight, it’ll be a total of 17 hours until they finally arrive here.”

 

“How sure are you that he’s really coming back with the Jeons? What if it’s just like all those other times? What if the Jeons come and Jungkook is not with them?”

 

“Tae… my grandparents called Uncle Jongwan last week to inform him about their plans for coming back… to be completely honest, Jungkook was never included in the plan by the time my grandparents called to inform Uncle, but then Jungkook called the day after again to confirm that he’s coming back with them.”

 

“He called me earlier today as well, Tae.” Hoseok speaks up near him. “At first it wasn’t clear, but he said, ‘you might be seeing my face sooner than you expected, hyung’ and when I was about to ask him what he’s on about, he hung up on me.”

 

“He called me earlier today as well, Tae. And I was with Jimin… we were on our way to get Yeonjun from your office when he called. We were startled but then he told us that he will be coming back very soon and that we might probably see him tomorrow and – “

 

“That’s when I rushed to you as Jin-hyung rushed to find Namjoon-hyung. But Namjoon-hyung already knew so…”

 

“That is also why I paid you a visit but you are yet to arrive this morning and I have a meeting at 10 so I never get to tell you earlier.” Namjoon looks away, ruffling Yeonjun’s head. “I am expecting myself to be the one to tell you but then Yoongi-hyung asked me to come with him and tell you altogether especially when Hoseok called him that he knew as well that Jungkook is coming.”

 

“Oh god… I’m the last one to know…” Taehyung helplessly muttered as he took his phone in a hurry to call Jongwan who answers after three rings.

 

“Tae?”

 

“Jongwan-ssi… is Jungkook really coming back? Why am I the last one to know?” he asked as soon as he heard him say his name.

 

Jongwan only sighs and kept quiet for a while before he speaks up again.

 

“He didn’t want to tell anyone, Tae… my parents wanted their arrival to be discreet as well but we are going to prepare a welcoming party for them tomorrow so I guess you would find out by then but – who told you?”

 

“Why are you asking me that? Am I not allowed to know?”

 

“Jungkook asks us not to tell you, Tae…”

 

“How could he –“ he’s beyond shocked and hurt that moment and he wanted to be rational about it, telling himself that there is definitely something going on for Jungkook to shut him out like this. “I’m hanging up.” And before Jongwan registers his words, he hangs up and looks around his friends.

 

“I’m leaving.”

 

“Tae, no? Where are you going? It’s already this late and –“ Taehyung brush away Jimin’s hold on his wrist.

 

“I don’t care. I’m leaving. Please stay here with Yeonjun –“

 

“Taehyung, calm the down, will you?” Yoongi holds the younger down, placing both his hands over the younger’s shoulder to pin him down on the sofa. “Where are you going? You are not allowed to be alone this late, Tae. You have to –“

 

“I’m going to Kookie’s house in Hannam Hill.” Taehyung looks at Yoongi with defiant eyes to let him go. “I have to go… please.”

 

And Yoongi gently let him go because they know how Jungkook’s home in Hannam Hill became his comfort zone over the years that the younger is gone.

 

“Is Taehyungie-hyung okay?” Yeonjun straddles his lap and places his little hands against Taehyung’s wet cheeks due to tears. “Are you okay, hyungie?”

 

“Fine, you leave after Donghyun came. He’s picking you up from here and will be taking you there. There’s no way I’m letting you go there alone, Taehyung.” Namjoon says with finality and took out his own phone.

 

He remembers muttering thanks that evening but he really couldn’t grasp the situation.

 

Why is he nervous? Why is he running away?

 

He never gets to find out what made him run back to Jungkook’s place that evening.

 

But one thing is certain, he’s anxious about meeting Jungkook.

 

Because the questions from five years ago will be answered and he’s scared that those answers will hurt him.

 

--

 

--London, England, 7:00am Monday--

 

The Jeon’s mansion in England is like a castle. It’s much larger than their mansion back in Korea. It has a wide lawn, a huge gates and beautiful flower beds filled with a variety of flowers.

 

Jungkook’s room faces this splendor and when he wakes up, he’s immediately relaxed by the view and the scent wafting in through the open windows. It’s been four years since he moved to London from his mother’s side in Canada.

 

Five years have passed, and it has been the longest time he has ever been away from Korea.

 

His parents are well, they’re doing great. Communication lines are open, and no partnerships were revoked. The family businesses are consistent given the fact that new leaders have been appointed. Namjoon and Yoongi were taking the lead along with Jongwan and it’s only a matter of time before Jungkook takes over.

 

Five years is a long time and it’s time for him to go back.

 

“Young master.”

 

Jungkook still wants to snort upon hearing how their butler addresses him, but he’s gotten used to it.

 

“Yes?”

 

“All is set, sir. Are you ready to go?”

 

That question goes unanswered, he really wants to say no. He knows he is two years late in going back to Korea. He’s done well, earning his degree and masters, interning with his grandparents. Somehow though, things didn’t go as planned so he decided to re-enroll in university and broaden his knowledge on architecture.

 

Jungkook was aware of what he was doing, postponing his inevitable return to Korea. It’s safe to say that he is scared to go home. He’s scared of what’s waiting for him.

 

He’s scared to see it for himself… those changes he first heard of.

 

“Jungkook, dear.”

 

A cool hand touches his cheeks and Jungkook shivers, he locks gazes with his grandmother, so he immediately smiles.

 

"Grandma."

 

The old woman smiles at him tenderly.

 

"You're making everyone wait for you again, dear... It's time to go."

 

"I know. I'm just taking some time to appreciate everything because I know it'll take me a long time before I come back here." He sighs and turns around to look around for the last time. "Like how I always do it when I'm about to leave the island... Leaving this place makes me feel sad."

 

"It always does, right? You’ve grown attached to this house."

 

"I sure have."

 

"But you know that you need to leave, dear... Your dad needs you back in Korea, it's long overdue."

 

His dad doesn't need him back that badly. If he's needed to be present in a meeting, he'll join through video conference. He has everything under control even if he's not physically present in Korea.

 

He smiles faintly. He knew he’s needed to take over, he’s twenty-five years old now. It’s what his family planned for him to take over and Jungkook wanted to give his grandparents and his father the rights to rest without thinking about anything anymore.

 

He wanted them all to rest.

 

He will not be exclusively for JGC because his mother will surely need his help sooner or later but JGC has always been exclusively his. It’s his playground as a child, a place he knew he will take over at this point of time.

 

"You're right." He says as he nods a little. "I'll be right behind you grandma. I'll just make some calls."

 

"Does anyone know you're coming home?"

 

“I hinted that I am…” he answers while searching his phone book.

 

The older woman sighs, but affectionately patted her grandson’s head. “You’ve grown up so much Kookie… you know what you’re doing so I won’t stop you… but don’t make me regret it, dear. I regretted it dearly when Jongwan got hurt handling everything on his own… I don’t want the same thing happening to you. I already failed in helping my son…”

 

“Grandma… you’re doing well. I’ve got this, okay?”

 

“Jongwan used to tell me that too and look what happened – “

 

“Grandma, please. We don’t have time for this. I’ll be right behind you.”

 

Sighing in defeat, the old woman starts walking away from Jungkook as he makes a call.

 

“Hey, Sae? We are about to leave now. I’ll see you there.”

 

--

 

--Tuesday afternoon in Korea--

 

Looking around, Taehyung can tell that no one has slept well. JGC employees have been busy, especially the design department as they were appointed to design and decorate the main hall.

 

Taehyung has been moving around, giving instructions since he arrived early morning, two hours earlier than their normal working hours.

 

Jin and Jimin is there to help. Somi arrived with Yeonjun as well, who is now trying to help the staff hang some decorations from the ceiling.

 

The news of the Jeon’s return has spread like wildfire. The media has heard about it, and some are trying to estimate the time of their arrival in Incheon Airport.

 

Jongwan walks into the main hall restlessly with his tie not yet tied and approaches Taehyung.

 

“Hey. How’s it going?” Taehyung greets and tries to tidy up Jongwan.

 

“I should be the one asking you that, Taehyung. You’ve been waiting for Jungkook to come back and – “

 

“And I’m happy to know he’s coming back finally, Jongwan-ssi. Don’t go around telling everyone that it’s only me that’s been waiting. I know you are excited too. I’m sorry about last night… I panicked.”

 

A smile breaks on Jongwan’s lips as he looks around. “It’s okay, I understand and I really am excited too Taehyung.” He turns to Taehyung with serious eyes. “But I need to tell you something about – “

 

“Uncle Jongwan, the meeting in hall 3 is starting. We should go.” Namjoon calls, smiling at Taehyung. “Hi Tae, you’re doing great here.”

 

“Of course. We should welcome them with a bang, right?”

 

“Right.” Taehyung fails to notice the looks Namjoon and Jongwan exchange and as he looks at them again, he’s beaming his boxy smile. “You should go and attend your meeting. We don’t want problems as we welcome them this evening, right?”

 

As the other two leave, Taehyung once again focuses on the hall that he’s designed. The food is starting to arrive, and the employees can go home earlier to get ready for the night’s festivities.

 

All Taehyung is feeling, is anxious as he does not know how to face Jungkook. He does not know how he will act. Will he pout and whine about him being late of coming back? Will he throw caution to the wind and run into Jungkook’s arms the moment he enters through the double doors? The one thing he is sure about is that he’s happy Jungkook is finally coming back. Regardless of the reasons why he stayed away longer or stopped calling, or stopped others from giving him updates, regardless of everything... All he ever wanted was to have Jungkook back home where he can see him.

 

 

--

 

Jongwan announced the arrival of the Jeons and says that they will not be coming straight from the airport that evening, instead they will be arriving later to change their clothes or any of that sort.

 

“Did he – was he with them?” Taehyung asks Donghyun who came to inform them, since he’s in the security detail that picked the Jeons up from the airport.

 

“Yes. Sir Jungkook is with them.”

 

That’s all Taehyung wanted to hear so he runs back to the building and doesn’t even listen to the next thing Donghyun tells him.

 

He wasn’t alone with his grandparents… there’s someone else with them.

 

--

 

Taehyung can wait a few more hours until Jungkook and his grandparents arrive in JGC. He spends the time fixing himself into perfection with the help of Jin and Jimin. The party officially starts at nine but employees can come early to associate with others.

 

They decided to go back to Taehyung’s apartment since it’s the closest to choose their clothes for the evening and somehow, Jimin convinced Taehyung to dye his hair blue. He almost hated Jimin and his wild choice for colors, but once it’s done, he can only be thankful to his best friend and his weird taste in colors.

 

“Have you decided on how you will approach him, Tae?” Jimin asks from the mirror as he tries not to hurt himself while putting in his contact lenses.

 

“No? But can that really be planned? I mean, I kind of want the feelings to be raw once he comes through the door, Chim.”

 

Jimin turns to where Taehyung is, and he can see how his best friend is trying to pick one from his collection of ties.

 

“Tae, what if – “

 

“Hey guys? Namjoon is already in the lobby. Hurry up.”

 

“Oh, I’m done! I don’t think I need a tie for this thing anyway. How ‘bout you Chim?”

 

“Ah… I’ll be right behind you.”

 

“Okay, I’ll go first.”

 

Taehyung leaves the room, following Jin and Jimin only sighs. He just hopes that someone tells Taehyung before he comes face to face with Jungkook tonight.

 

--

 

--2 hours to the party – Arrival of the Jeons--

 

Jungkook takes a few moments looking around Incheon Airport. There are people taking pictures, probably some members of the media but he doesn’t mind them a bit. They have a security detail around them, so no one can get too close.

 

“So, are we going to meet the people waiting for us at JGC or are we going straight home and just meet them later tonight?” Jungkook’s grandmother asks as she roams her arm around her grandson’s.

 

“I would like to drop Saeron at my unit first, grandma. She’ll be staying there until she finds her own place.”

 

“She can always have it, right?” the old lady asks affectionately and Saeron is quick to shake her head in disapproval.

 

“I’d like my own place here, grandma. Jungkook and I already discussed the matter and we decided that I’d only be staying in his unit temporarily.”

 

“The offer still stands, dear. If you ever feel homesick, you can always come to the mansion. We will be staying there for two weeks before we leave for the island.”

 

“Jungkook promised to show me around, so we’ll definitely be right behind you, grandma.” Saeron smiles and hugs the old lady and bids them goodbye after Jungkook helps to load their things into the limo.

 

“And what is our ride?”

 

“This is my ride.”

 

Saeron whistles as soon as she sees the car in front of her. “I already loaded our things in the back so we’re good to go.”

 

“Alright. I’m tired and I really want to rest right now but – how are you feeling? Good?”

 

Jungkook smiles. “Better. I never knew I missed home until we landed.”

 

“I know you do.”

 

Jungkook gives his surroundings one last look before he gets in his car.

 

--

 

--Still hours before the party--

 

"A penthouse... I'm amazed, Jeon."

 

"You underestimated my name, Sae." Jungkook chuckles as he looks around his vacant unit. "I'm surprised it's the same as I remember."

 

He steps into the place and grabs the remote to switch on the lights and AC and to open the blinds. The place looks exactly like it did when he last left it.

 

"Is it really okay for me to stay here?"

 

"Of course. This is my unit and -"

 

"And where will you be staying?"

 

Jungkook stops but shrugs his shoulders as he fills a glass with water. "I bought my own home, and our mansion is always available. You don't have to worry about me and just feel at home. I'll pick you up tonight, 9pm."

 

"Do we really have to attend that party? Can't we just rest and greet everybody tomorrow?"

 

"Sorry Sae. The employees made sure to throw us a welcoming party and they already prepared everything..."

 

"Alright. I'll be ready at nine. Don't be late in picking me up, okay? You know how I am… I can sleep right after putting make-up on."

 

"Yup. Roger that."

 

He’s about to turn and leave when Saeron speaks again.

 

"You look eager. That Taehyung guy will be there, won't he?"

 

"Yeah... He's going to be there."

 

"And are you ready to meet him?"

 

"I... It's not about me being ready to meet him again, Sae... I just want to see him again."

 

"But you said you were scared to see it with your own eyes, right?"

 

Jungkook let's Saeron hug him around his waist because it's always been the kind of affection he wants when he's anxious. Saeron is one of the few people around him who understands that.

 

"I just really want to see him..."

 

"I know you do... You've been stopping yourself from doing so for years, Kookie."

 

A kiss on Saeron’s forehead is the last thing Jungkook gives before he tells her goodbye.

 

--

 

Jungkook is driving one-handedly and he’s driving pretty fast. He only got an hour left before the party officially starts. He’s sure his grandparents will be there before them but he doesn’t want to arrive so late with Saeron.

 

Five years has really done it to Seoul, some parts are nothing like he remembers. Despite the changes, he has no trouble finding his way home. The moment he arrives, he unpacks his things and takes a shower, before looking around.

 

Even his home remains the same. It’s still guarded and well taken care of.

 

“I’m impressed with how the caretaker has kept this place serene, Donghyun.” He tells the older as he descends the stairs. “Remind me to give her a raise – “

 

“Both your unit and this place are taken care of by Taehyung-ssi, Jungkook.”

 

Jungkook almost slips on the stairs, good thing he’s holding onto the balustrade.

 

“What?”

 

Donghyun sighs and looks up to him. “Twice a week, he comes here to clean, or to just simply laze around with Yeontan. He almost still lived in your unit, Jungkook. Which worries me because you left that girl there.”

 

“I never knew you could be this talkative, hyung – “

 

“I’m just looking out for you, Jungkook. I am leaving for JGC to inform them of you and your grandparents’ decision. I’ll be back after – “

 

“He was just here, wasn’t he?”

 

Donghyun watches as Jungkook roams his eyes around the house and something catches his attention.

 

“He probably left it there… he was just here last night after knowing you were coming back. He slept in your bed and then went back early to prepare for the party.”

 

Taehyung’s Gucci cardigan, the one he was wearing when Jungkook left him five years ago, is hanging on the coat rack across the living room.

 

And maybe Jungkook wants to run away again

 

He’s still scared of seeing how much Taehyung has changed.

 

How much his feelings have changed?

 

--

 

--PARTY TIME--

 

Taehyung arrives with Namjoon, Jin, Jimin and Yoongi. They meet up with Hoseok in the main lobby of JGC, greeting people as they go.

 

“Hey.” Hoseok greets them, looking around as people starts to file in. “Everyone’s heading to the hall and – nice hair, Tae.”

 

“Thanks, hyung.” He smiles shyly.

 

He knows his friends can see how uneasy he is at the moment. They can see his hands trembling and he’s also looking around as if he’s expecting to see someone standing somewhere close to him.

 

“He hasn’t arrived yet.” Hoseok pats Taehyung’s head to stop him from looking around. “He’ll be arriving later with Saeron.”

 

Saeron.

 

Taehyung looks up to Hoseok who has his eyes on his wrist watch. “W-Who’s Saeron?”

 

Hoseok freezes and he doesn’t need to look at his friends to see they’re frozen as well.

 

“Why are you asking? I thought Jimin – Oh… well .” Hoseok says after meeting Jimin’s gaze. “I thought you guys already told him?”

 

“We couldn’t find the right time to tell him…” Jimin lowers his head. “We are all caught off guard and I never really expected her to come back with them.”

 

“Who the is Saeron, guys? That’s a ing girl’s name.”

 

Taehyung eyes Jimin but the older looks elsewhere. Hoseok though sighs and puts his hands on his shoulders to hold him.

 

“Kim Saeron will be joining JGC’s design team, she’s also an interior designer you will probably be introduced to her tonight. She’s three years younger than Kook and – “

 

“That doesn’t answer my question. Who is she and why is she with Jungkook?”

 

“Tae, calm down.” Jin says and rubs his hand on his back affectionately. “We just couldn’t find the right time to tell you, but during his stay in Canada, Jungkookie met someone through his grandparents when they visited him there. Saeron’s family has been good friends with the Jeons but they’re originally staying in England. But Jungkook’s grandparents took her with them when they visited Jungkook in Canada and –“

 

“Tell me she’s not the reason why Jungkook cut me off completely.”

 

No one says a word and Taehyung starts panicking. Jungkook met that Saeron in Canada through his grandparents when they visited him there. Jungkook stopped calling him 9 months after he left Korea and during those 9 months, he’s still in Canada with his mother and little brother. After a year in Canada, he flew to England and that’s where that Saeron and her family originally reside.

 

Did he meet Saeron during those 9 months in Canada?

 

Taehyung slowly looks up to his friends, hoping what he’s thinking isn’t true.

 

“Tell me right now, that she’s not the reason why Jungkook forbade everyone from telling me any news about him – “

 

“He never confirmed it.” Yoongi says after letting out a huge sigh and Taehyung’s eyes are on him. “He never denied it either but – “

 

“Oh, why are you still here?”

 

All heads turn to Jongwan and Sejin who are just arriving. They’re pretty much blocking the way to the elevators, so they all move to give way. That’s when Taehyung notices Jungkook’s grandparents.

 

His stomach begins to hurt, he wants to run. He feels like he’ll be sick.

 

“Taehyung-dear, are you alright? You look kind pale?”

 

“Tae?” Sejin walks toward Taehyung and holds his son in place. “Son, are you alright?”

 

“No… I – “

 

“Jungkook will be arriving soon and I think we should all go and join the others.” Jongwan says, putting an arm around Sejin’s shoulders. “Taehyung, if you want to go back, you can. You want me to call a chauffeur to take you back?”

 

“N-No… I’m good. I just – I can’t breathe right now, but I swear I’m fine.”

 

“Shall we go then?” Grandpa Jeon asks, worry in his eyes as he looks at Taehyung.

 

“Y-Yes. You can use that elevator. We’ll use the other one and meet you there.”

 

“Okay.”

 

“Tae.”

 

“Don’t talk to me right now.” Taehyung steps inside the elevator following his friends. “I don’t want to talk right now.”

 

“But Tae, we could be wrong? No one really spoke about this with Jungkook so we could be wrong. We just assumed and – “

 

“Shut the up, Park Jimin.”

 

“Tae!”

 

“Kim Taehyung!”

 

“No, do not scold me!” Taehyung turns to face his friends and the five older men stop talking as they see the tears escaping the younger’s eyes. “Do not ing scold me right now. I don’t want to hear it.”

 

When the elevator is about to close, he steps out of it and walks away, not giving anyone a chance to come after him as the doors shut.

 

--

 

Jungkook thought he heard someone shouting which made him turn and look behind him, only to see the back of someone running from the elevators.

 

Was it some employees fighting?

 

“Jungkook, let’s go?” Saeron speaks beside him after taking her purse from the attendant.

 

“Ah yeah, I’ll be right behind you. You can go first.”

 

“What? I thought we’re going in together?”

 

“Ah… I just need to be somewhere else – “

 

“Jeon Jungkook don’t you think of running now. It’s too late for that.” Saeron gives him a glare before pulling on his arm. “We’re going to meet everyone in that party and we’re going to slay the night, okay? I didn’t hurry myself up in getting ready for this, only to come back home without actually doing anything.”

 

“But I really need to be somewhere else right now, Sae – “

 

They’re already inside the elevator, the doors are closing, and it makes Jungkook wonder who the guy with the bold blue hair is...

 

--

 

Jimin is starting to worry about Taehyung who still hasn’t returned from wherever he went. He wants to think that the younger has already gone back to his apartment, but the attendants confiscated their phones, so there is no way to contact him and ask him to come back.

 

The party has already started, and the night is young. They already greeted the couples and started asking after Taehyung, as Namjoon’s mom is about to give her speech regarding the appointment of Taehyung and everyone on their team is panicking for their supposedly new boss is nowhere to be found.

 

Jimin’s panic skyrockets as Namjoon goes to the stage after being handed a mic by the MC.

 

“Okay so um, good evening. May I ask everyone to please settle in your seats, we will be making some announcements.”

 

Jimin settles beside Yoongi. Jin settles beside him and Hoseok occupies the seat across from him. Everyone else sits down of their respective seats.

 

“Thank you, so… good evening again, I’m Kim Namjoon as majority of you probably know, but for the sake of those who don’t, I am the Vice President and the head of the sales department.” He bows as everyone applauds him. “Now, I know the entire Design Department has already heard the news and you’ve already seen him packing his things in preparation of moving office.”

 

“Where the heck is Taehyung?” Jimin asks Jin who still has his phone because he hasn’t surrendered it and there’s no way he’s following the rules.

 

“I’m trying to call him so shut up.”

 

“But – “

 

The door suddenly opens and Namjoon smiles broadly. “Before anything else, I would like to acknowledge the presence of my cousin who just came back to Seoul after five years of absence, everybody, Jeon Jungkook!”

 

Jin sits up, Jimin almost pulls the table over, Yoongi turns abruptly while Hoseok stands noisily knocking down his chair.

 

Now aged twenty-five, Jeon Jungkook is back. He just smiles at everyone who greets him. And damn, if you thought he was handsome at age 20, no words can describe him now.

 

Jungkook meets Jin’s teary eyes and pulls away from Saeron to give Jin a tight hug.

 

“Jin-hyung!”

 

“Holy , kid! You’re really back! My baby Kookie is back!”

 

Everyone is laughing, even Saeron who can’t wait to tease Jungkook about that later.

 

“Welcome back, kid. It’s been five long ing years!” Yoongi pulls him into a hug and pats his back. “I missed you, brat.”

 

“I missed you too, hyung…”

 

Jimin’s mouth is agape but then Jungkook is in front of him, wiping away his tears that he didn’t even realize he was crying.

 

“Aw hyung, missed me?”

 

“You – “

 

“I missed you too, Jimin-hyung.”

 

Jongwan is watching his son hug his friends and Sejin wonders why Taehyung is still not here.

 

“Taehyung is still not here, Jongwan.”

 

Pulling away from Jimin, he’s soon crashed into by Hoseok who jumps on him. “Holy ! You were not kidding this time about coming back!”

 

“Hi Hyung… and yeah, I missed you too.”

 

Someone clears their throat pulls them back to reality and Saeron is there standing close behind him.

 

“As much as I’ve enjoyed watching you and your friends reunited, I would like to ask you to return to my side because you seem to have forgotten about your date.”

 

“Oh, yeah right. Sorry about that Sae. Um, guys this is Kim Saeron.” The girl smiles and she almost laughs at the sudden tension. “Sae these are my friends. You know them by name, but you’ve never met them. That handsome guy is Jin-hyung. He raised me well and he’s also my cousin Namjoon-hyung’s boyfriend. This one is Park Jimin, he’s with Yoongi-hyung and lastly, this one is my best friend…” he smiles teasingly at Saeron. “Hoseok-hyung.”

 

The girl blushes as she shakes Hoseok’s hand and Jimin raises his eyebrows to that, but doesn’t say anything. “Nice to meet you all.” She clears once again, before latching onto Jungkook’s arm again. “So where is Taehyung?” she whispers and Jungkook’s face flushes instantly.

 

The younger looks around but no Taehyung can be found. “I don’t know… he’s probably somewhere. Let’s take a seat beside my Dad and Sejin-ssi.”

 

“Alright.”

 

Once seated, Saeron almost laugh when the man beside Jungkook’s father is obviously glaring at her.

 

This is going to be a long night, huh?

 

--

 

“Taehyung?”

 

Opening his eyes, he is greeted by Minjae’s face looking down at him. “What the hell are you doing here? The party has probably already started by now.”

 

“And what about you? What are you doing here?” he asks, dusting himself off.

 

“I spotted you sitting here when I was about to go inside. I’m running late as usual. And you?”

 

“Just clearing my mind… he’s probably already there…”

 

“Who? Jungkook?” Taehyung nods. “Well, all the more reason we should go up there now, right? I mean, he’s back and you have a promotion to claim.”

 

“I don’t care about the promotion right now, Minjae… I just – “

 

“Tae, you deserve that promotion. And now that Jungkook is back, shouldn’t you be more thrilled about accepting it in front of him? To show him you’ve been amazing during his absence?”

 

Taehyung eyes his ex and smiles. “You’re right… I should show him I’ve been good, right?”

 

“’Course you do, dummy. You worked hard for it.”

 

With one last sigh, Taehyung gets up from his seat and look down at Minjae. “Let’s go?”

 

Back in the party, everybody is greeting the heir, disregarding the announcement Namjoon is about to make. It took them ten more minutes to settle the crowd down.

 

The lights went off and only the stage is bright.

 

“As I was about to say before my cousin arrived…” everyone chuckles to that. “Five years ago, my family went through a tough time, the effects of which was felt by everyone at JGC. We would again like to extend our apologies for that.”

 

Jungkook smiles at Sejin who looks down at his hands, playing with his fingers.

 

“Head-up, Sejin-ssi…” Sejin looks up in shock, only to see Jungkook’s smiling face. “It’s okay now.”

 

Sejin wants to cry, but he’ll save it for after the party is over.

 

“We needed a lot of helping hands during those times and we’re glad no one left us as we fought for our family… Thank you so much for that. I know JGC is in your good hands…” there is a round of applause before Namjoon continues. “Now, there are some people who were exceptional in helping JGC bounce back, closing deals, winning bids and rights to property… it was never easy, we all know that. JGC has been engaging in a lot of things and we never really settled for just one. We have hotels, beach resorts, restaurants… and just recently we got involved in farming as well with our hotel in Daegu…” Jungkook throws Sejin a side glance and smiles at him proudly. “And I know we’ll soon get involved in the music industry as well through Yoongi-hyung and myself along with some of our friends.”

 

Jungkook heard about this possibility so he smiles at Hoseok and Jimin across the table.

 

“So, all in all, after everything we’ve been through, there are many things we’ve received in return and we are thankful.” Namjoon stops and looks around, he smiles as he spots the guy who has been missing since the party started. “Now, as we all know, my mother will be stepping down as the head of the Design Department and we all know who will be taking her place... I know it's been the hottest topic in the board meetings, but the members finally conceded when the next in line proved themselves worthy of the position.”

 

Taehyung, who is now making his way to his friends with Minjae following behind, stops walking.

 

"Kim Taehyung, everyone, is one of the biggest assets JGC has. He officially joined the team right after he graduated from university. And some of you may know, but for the sake of those who didn't, Taehyung is the renowned V." There are few gasps and awed sounds emanating from around the room before Namjoon continues. "This explains why V suddenly went on an indefinite hiatus. I hope you give him the respect he deserves as he takes over my mother's position. He won the bid to design the remarkable executive village in Gangnam for us, he redesigned the JGC head office building and he’s just completed the hotel we established in Daegu. He’s proven himself and will continue to do so as he takes bigger responsibility and I hope everyone will see it more as an inspiration, rather than competition." Namjoon raises his glass.  "Taehyung, may you please come forward and introduce yourself to those who do not yet know you, especially members who will be new to your team." Taehyung starts walking again. He hears someone gasp to the right of him, but he doesn’t pay too much attention as he anxiously makes his way to the stage.

 

Standing on stage, Taehyung doesn’t know what to do. He looks to where his friends are and they’re all smiling at him proudly. This has been his goal after all, and achieving it is something almost unimaginable, so now that he’s here, he doesn’t know what to do and where to look.

 

There is a huge round of applause and as soon as it dies down, he takes in a deep breath and looks around again.

 

He wishes he didn’t.

 

Because sitting right across from his father is Jeon Jungkook…

 

With someone else he assumes to be the Kim Saeron everyone has been talking about.

 

He finds himself biting his tongue as he locks gazes with Jungkook who seems to be caught off guard.

 

The girl beside him lean in to whisper in his ear and Jungkook looks away from him. Taehyung feels like throwing the microphone at him, because he want Jungkook to look at him. Only him.

 

He sees Jungkook nodding at the girl who smiles widely before turning to him. Jungkook loosens his tie before looking back up at Taehyung.

 

Taehyung wants to believe that what he sees in Jungkook’s eyes is longing, but the girl beside him tells him otherwise.

 

“Hello, good evening everyone. My name is Kim Taehyung…”

--

END NOTES & FAQ's:

1. Why book 2/part 2 when we only asked for a sequel that puts TaeKook back in one place? 
-Darlings, I’m in for the drama. If I ever come back with just a sequel that puts TaeKook back in one place, then that probably isn’t me. Because if you guys paid enough attention, you’ll know how long each chapters of IYAIC are. You knew better than to ask me for a short sequel to conclude everything. So here it is, a whole new book for you to read.
2. Why do you come back only to give TaeKook another conflict?
-Again, I’m in for the drama. And if you think I’d just get them back together then you’re wrong darlings. Because if that happens in my stories, then that isn’t me writing. You know what I’m sayin’?
3. Will the updates for OPDE be as rare as IYAIC’s?
-As I am still unemployed, I can guarantee that there’ll be at least regular updates for the next two or three months. But yes, the updates will be fully depending on my and my beta’s availability.
4. WHO THE FUDGE IS SAERON IN KOOKIE’S LIFE?
-You can read, we are ARMY, we are raised to get the clues as soon as it is shown to us. You know who the fudge is Saeron in Kookie’s life as soon as I threw her in to the picture.
5. I thought we’re done with Minjae?
-Surprise is my middle name.
6. I thought we’re done giving them pains?
-Nuh-uh.
7. Do you really want TaeKook to be together?
-Of course. I wouldn’t be writing this following the end from IYAIC if I don’t.
8. Will OPDE’s chapters be as long as or longer than IYAIC’s?
-Depends on my mood. It can go as long as and it can go longer that any chapters from IYAIC. Right now though, since we’re only at the beginning, I’ll be throwing 7k+ words and eventually go longer than that. We’ll see.
9. What can we expect from OPDE?
-An ending where TaeKook is finally happy together. And yes, this is an spoiler.