Chapter Six: Choi's Chicken

Sonnie White & The Seven Deadly Sins (GOT7 x MONSTA X) *On Hold*

    Cloth grocery bags hung from Sonnie's arms as she stumbled into her house. By time she had left the market, night had already blanketed itself over the once orange-hazed sky. This meant that darkness had also fallen over her house and considering she was still new to the layout of the it, the dark haired girl continued stumbling as her hands fumbled for the light switch.

    Eventually, light flooded the room and she continued on her way; setting the bags down onto her kitchen table with a few collective thuds. Sighing in relief, she stretched her back out with a yawn before proceeding to store away the groceries.

   "Ahhh," she groaned, "I'm so tired."

    Placing the final package of shrimp crackers in her cupboard, Sonnie pulled a chair towards her; plopping down onto the cushion.  Stretching out her legs, she closed her eyes; head tilting backwards as she massaged her knees. For a brief moment, the young girl realized the silence. 

    No clacking of dishes being washed by the maids. No paw-taps from her two dogs walking across the marbled floor. No Agnes waiting at the kitchen table - cup of tea upon the hard wood service - as she asked you about your day. 

    Her new home felt foreign. Familiar faces and voices were no longer acknowledged. The silence bore its way in like rioters to a peace protest. The house was almost --- creepy, to put it lightly. A slight chill followed her wherever she roamed and it felt as though pairs of eyes were fixed upon her at all times. She'd be lying if she claimed she didn't feel some kind of presence. 

    A sudden chill slid its invisible fingers up her spine causing her to shoot out of her chair.

    "Eating out tonight it is," she spoke aloud to herself; grabbing her jacket on the way out.

    The night air was crisp. 

    Autumn weather brought pleasant weather and crunchy, colorful leaves. Throngs of people bustled about; younger men and women talking loudly and laughing as older couples swayed hand in hand. Prospective younger couples blushed at one another as their arms intertwined; shy smiles strewn across their faces.

    Tall buildings surrounded the areas trees didn't occupy. In a nearby store, a pretty woman fixed a clothing display in the storefront window; her long ponytail slashing back and forth as she moved. In another, glass windows decorated with open lace curtains revealed guests settling into, what appeared to be, a warm cafe. A few doors down, a decently sized line of customers patiently waiting outside of a butcher shop picking up a late night dinner.

    The city was alive - different color LED lights strewn across buildings, skyscrapers, and even small vendor areas. Tall street lights lit up the nearly non-existent darkness as well. Altogether, Seoul was drastically different from Arizona.

   And she loved every second of it.

  Biting her lip slightly, her eyes roamed from sign to sign until she found a desirable restaurant - Choi's Chicken. Quickly, she made her way to the bright yellow restaurant; a wave of warmth blanketing itself over her as she entered. The owner smiled to her cheerfully as he gestured towards the few empty tables.

   "Sit wherever you'd like," he smiled as he handed her a menu.

   Sonnie accepted the laminated rectangle as she made her way to the back of the restaurant. To be honest, she felt a little strange dining by herself. She was used to going out with friends, so this particular situation was just a stepping stone. 

   Scanning the menu, the somber haired female felt her stomach grumble. As if on cue, the owner was at her side; the same smile from before still strewn upon his face. Gesturing towards the menu, he held up pen and pad, "Have you decided yet, miss?"

   Beaming brightly, Sonnie nodded her head as she placed a finger onto the laminate,  "Number five with a water, please."

   The owner nodded his head as he quickly wrote down her order; disappearing to the back to prepare the meal. Pulling out her phone to try and cut the awkwardness she was feeling, the woman breathed a small sigh as she scrolled through various social media platforms. Photos of her friends smiling with their arms wrapped around one another flooded her timeline; a small smile forming. 

   "Dorks," she quietly spoke to herself.

   Scrolling down more, the corners of her lips quickly twisted downwards; a tinge of pain filling her chest at the sight before her. 

   Upon her screen was her first love and first ex, Daniel. He stood tall - broad shoulders connected to muscular arms that wrapped around a small-statured female. Her long red hair barely brushed against her buttocks; body clad in a short white dress. Their lips were locked together in a passionate kiss with a caption detailed in only two heart emoticons. 

   The pain in her chest spread throughout her whole torso; tears beginning to well. 

   It had only been three months since the two decided to call it quits after two and a half years, but the truth is, Sonnie had known him far longer than that. Daniel had been her best friend since kindergarten - their mothers childhood friends once reunited. They had been through everything together - elementary school, junior high, high school, graduations, multiple ups and downs, countless parties, heartbreaks - you name it. 

   The two of them had began dating towards the end of high school - Sonnie nearly 18 years-old and Daniel a graduating senior. They had always harbored feelings for one another, but up until then, both were too frightened of what would happen if they had decided to take their friendship to the next level. If it hadn't been for Daniel finally building up the courage to confess to her, Sonnie would have never revealed her's in return.

   At times, the young woman wished she could reverse time.

   "Ms. White," a voice broke her from her trance.

   Jumping slightly in her seat, she clutched her chest as her eyes peered up at the man standing before her. Eyes widening, she quickly rose to her feet as she began to bow, "Mr. Lee! So nice to see you!"

   Blushing, he waved his hands in the air, "No need to bow and please, call me Minhyuk." 

   "But what about remaining formal?"

   "That's only when we're in the office," he smiled, "and since we're not, no need for formalities." He peered around for a moment, "Are you here alone?"

   She felt her blush burn deeper as she nodded slightly, "Y-yes, I am. Would you like to sit down? It'd be nice to have some company."

   This time, it was the man before her whose cheeks tinged a bright pink as he nodded; settling down in the seat across from her. For a moment, it was silent; the tension thick and apparent. Clearing , Sonnie flashed a smile at the man before her.

   "I didn't expect to see you here," she began, "do you come here often?"

   Upon hearing the question, Minhyuk fidgeted in his seat slightly as he nodded, "Yes, I come here at least twice a week, actually."

   Before the dark haired girl could respond, the owner was back at the table with her order.

   "Ah, Mr. Lee!" The short man exclaimed. "Are you here for your usual?"

   The younger man nodded, "Yes, thank you, Mr. Choi."

   Nodding, the older man placed his hand on Minhyuk's shoulder as he headed back to the kitchen. Sonnie took a sip from her water glass before folding her hands in her lap - this action earning a furrowed brow from the man sitting across from her.

   "Aren't you going to eat?"

   She nodded, "Yes, but I want to wait until your food arrives." 

   "Ah," Minhyuk felt himself grow flustered, "no need! Please, eat - I'm the one who intruded. I'll be fine, honestly."

   Smiling heartily, she shook her head, "I don't mind, to be honest - I want to wait." Biting her lip, she quickly added, "And you aren't intruding - I wanted company."

   He felt his ears grow hot as he chuckled shyly. Peering at the woman sitting across from him, the light haired man watched as manicured nails began to neatly fold her napkin into a perfect triangle. Her pink blossom-like lips parted in concentration ever so slightly to reveal white teeth. Tresses of her lion's mane lightly swayed back and forth with every movement. 

   She was truly a sight to behold.

   Suddenly, Minhyuk felt butterflies kiss the pit of his stomach. Fidgeting in his seat, he quietly cleared his throat as he averted his eyes to the wooden floor.

   Yah, he scolded himself, pull yourself together, you fool.