5 - Questions

From Those Around Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Second week of March

Friday night

8:30 PM 

Eunbi’s apartment 

 

Eunbi was still crying when the chicken delivery arrived. Chaeyeon advised her to freshen up so that she could eat, and went to the kitchen to prepare a glass of water. Once Eunbi went inside the bathroom in her room, the youngsters quickly went to where Chaeyeon was to ask what the commotion was about. 

 

Chaeyeon quickly sat them down and briefly told them everything from the start. 

 

 

 

The Next Day 

12 PM KST 

Frog Prince Cafe 

 

Group chat name: Animal Crossing 

 

Minjoo: Hyewon, Yena and I are almost at the cafe. Where are you?

Yena: You better not have spent your time buying street foods again...

Hyewon: I’m already here, guys. I was just busy taste testing the new cake selection that’s why I wasn’t able to text. 

Yena: Of course your priority would be cake over us smh 

Minjoo: We see you now, who are you with?

Yena: IF THAT’S YURI -  

Hyewon: Calm down Yena 

Hyewon: It’s just their new baker. I’m giving reviews on pastries I’ve tasted.

Minjoo: Why is Yena scared of Yuri?

Yena: Because 7, 8, 9 Minjoo *crazy face emojis*

Minjoo: …?

 

Minjoo and Yena entered the cafe and quickly sat down to where Hyewon was at. From the looks of it, Hyewon had already tried 3 new pastries the cafe had to offer.  

 

“Took you guys long enough to get here. I was almost tempted not to share this white chocolate cheesecake with you guys. Manager Abby said that the top 3 pastries that tasted best will be what Minjoo will be modelling for their Instagram.”

 

“Why didn’t she tell that to me? I’m Minjoo’s manager!” Yena whined. 

 

Hyewon retorted, “Did you get here first? A duck may be a bird but you’re the slowest bird to ever get the worm, Ori Yena.” 

 

“Okay guys,” Minjoo butted in, “Let’s all be calm here, I haven’t seen Hyewon since a few months back but you guys are still bickering like siblings.” 

 

“WE’RE NOT SIBLINGS!” Yena and Hyewon shouted in unison then stared at each other.  

 

Minjoo just raised her eyebrows and stared at the two with a smug look. The two just sighed in defeat. Another voice chimed in before Minjoo could get a word out. 

 

“Here’s some of the new cake samples that Hyewon hasn’t tried yet,” Abby said, “And thank you, Hyewon, for leaving some pieces left for Yena and Minjoo to try for the ones you have already tasted.” 

 

“You’re welcome, Abby. We’ll vote on what our top 3 will be and we’ll have Minjoo model them for you.” Hyewon said while already taking a bite out of the cake with blueberry topping.

 

“Thanks Abby, you’re so kind,” Minjoo smiled at the manager and took a bite out of the white chocolate cheesecake that Hyewon was talking about. 

 

“No, thank you, Minjoo, for still taking the time out of your busy schedule to help me promote this cafe. It’s actually a bit surprising that this place isn’t packed today…” 

 

“Oh, that’s probably because Hyewon flipped the ‘We’re open’ sign to ooof -” 

 

Yena’s tattling was disturbed by Hyewon who had elbowed her ribs. Fortunately for Hyewon, Abby didn’t seem to understand what Yena said because was already half full with cake. 

 

Abby just chuckled at the pair’s antics and turned to face Minjoo. 

 

“Minjoo, take your time in choosing the top 3 pastries, yeah? Thank you again for doing this promotion job for free, as always.” 

 

“Thanks, Abby. We’ll order drinks when we’re ready.” 

 

Abby took her leave and the trio started digging into the pastry.

 

Hyewon and Yena took turns telling Minjoo the story of how they toured Sakura and her friends around Korea, and Minjoo listened to them earnestly. Hyewon and Yena started bickering at the end of the story because Yena wasn’t able to play with Sakura in the PC Bang. 

 

“You should not have scheduled going to Lotte World and PC Bang at the same time!!! I wanted to play games too, I wanted to beat Sakura in Fortnite so that I can brag about it!!!” 

 

“I scheduled it at the same time so that you wouldn’t be annoying Sakura like you are annoying me right now. Why are you even complaining? I paid for ALL your expenses accompanying Nako and Hitomi there. Even paying for your fare going home and breakfast the following day.”

 

Minjoo just laughed at the two at their bickering. She glanced at the pastries that were remaining on the table, and she concluded that she already tasted all of them. It was already obvious at this point what their top 2 pastries were, seeing as those were the ones that got finished quickly. She couldn’t eat anymore though, so she interrupted Hyewon and Yena’s banter. 

 

“Hey guys, I’ve already tasted all the pastries and I’m afraid I can’t eat anymore. Do you think you guys can finish this and tell me what your top 3 is?” 

 

The bickering stopped immediately and the two quickly grabbed the pastries of their choice. 

 

Minjoo thought about Yuri and how Yena seems jittery whenever her name was mentioned. Come to think of it, she’s never met Yuri yet ever since Hyewon got her as a roommate… Minjoo decided to continue the conversation by asking Hyewon about Yuri. 

 

“Hey Hyewon, why didn’t you bring Yuri here -” 

 

Yena choked on her pastry the moment Yuri’s name was mentioned. Minjoo stared at her worriedly while Hyewon used both her arms to pat Yena’s back roughly and protect her pastries from getting coughed on. 

 

“I’m *cough* I’m fine ahahahaha I just… *cough cough* I just need drinks I suppose ahahaha *cough cough* I’ll go order for us. The usual drinks, right guys? I’ll go *cough* order it now haha yeah.” Yena hurriedly went to the counter without even waiting for their confirmation on whether they wanted the usual or not. 

 

Hyewon heaved a deep sigh and knitted her eyebrows in frustration. 

 

“That’s why I didn’t bring Yuri.” 

 

Minjoo frowned at Hyewon’s reply and asked, 

 

“Why? Did something happen between Yuri and Yena?” 

 

“I’m certain there is, but I’m just not sure what. She wanted to meet Yuri ever since I featured her in my vlog the first time we became roommates… but I wasn’t there when they first met. Yena just hurriedly went home and Yuri just sat there in a daze. After that… Yena never visited unless I mention that Yuri went to her hometown for the weekend.” 

 

“Come to think of it, I’ve been really busy lately cause Yena has been busying herself looking for jobs for me. This started around the time you published your new roommate vlog, I think?” 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter