Still You 2

Still You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Chaeyeon, I just want to remind you that nothing's for sure right now, okay?"

I know. It's just a hunch but, this might lead to something. 

"I'll take it. Anything that could lead me to them."

"Don't stress youself too much about it." Eunbi held my hand and looked at me in the eyes. "It's just a vague analysis. Maybe it's just a coincidence."

I took my hand from her and brushed my hair through my fingers. 

"I promised her, Eunbi. I promised her that I'll take them down."

"No. You promised that to yourself."

"2 years, Eunbi. It has been only 2 years and you're acting as if she wasn't your friend?!" I shouted. 

Eunbi looked at me with a surprised look. This is not the first time I shouted at her. We always argue. Eunbi and I go way back. She's the President's daughter. And she's currently the one who leads each and every undercover teams that IZ*SK has. We are the core of this organization. We were. 

Eunbi looked hurt. Her eyes are teary. 

"Eunbi..."

"Minju is my friend. And she will always have a special place in my heart, Chaeyeon. But, you have to understand where this might lead you to."

"I can take care of myself, Eun..."

"Pretty obvious with how you look right now, Chae."

"You don't eat. You always drink. You don't sleep. You think Minju would be happy to see..."

"Don't go there, Eunbi."

I sighed. 

"It's not that I don't sleep."

"It's more of, I can't sleep." I looked away from her. 

"It haunts me. It still haunts me."

"How many times do I have to tell you to consult Dr. Yabuki about your dreams."

"They're nightmares, Eunbi."

Silence. 

"Nightmares that I can't and won't talk about with anyone. Even with you."

She sighed. Looking lost. Eunbi opened her arms. 

"Come here." 

I didn't move. 

She sighed again. 

She took a step closer and pulled me towards her.

Eunbi wrapped her arms around my waist and rested her chin on my shoulders. 

"I can even reach my own waist while hugging you, Chae. Don't be too hard on yourself, please?"

"How can I not be? It was my fault."

"Ssshhhh." She hugged me tighter. "It wasn't anyone's fault."

"But, still..."

She abruptly pulled away and looked at me. 

"If you want to look into this mission, you can."

I smiled. 

"But, you will not move unless I told you so."

"What do you mean?"

"It will be an official mission. Meaning, you'll take commands regarding this mission directly from me."

"But..."

"No buts, Chaeyeon. That's final."

I sighed. 

"When do I start?"

She shook her head. 

"That's not the correct question, Chae."

I raised my right brow on her. 

"It's "when do WE start?"

"What do you mean?" I asked her. 

"You're going to meet your new team tomorrow."

I looked at her incredulously. I laughed at her. 

"Are you serious?"

"Yes."

"You can't be."

"I am, Chaeyeon. I already informed them that they're going to meet their team captain tomorrow."

I furiously shook my head at her. 

"No. No. A team and whatmore, I'm the captain? You're being ridiculous, Eunbi. You know that, right?"

"I'm serious, Chae. We've beem honing this team to be like yours. They just need a great leader to complete their team. Their individual skills are remark..."

I took a few steps back. 

"No, Eunbi. You don't understand. I just came back because you told me there's a new lead. I didn't come back for these responsibilities you are making me shoulder."

She sighed. I can't count how many times Eunbi sighed at me this morning. 

"Chaeyeon, what is the number one protocol of IZ*SK?"

"You don't work alone." I recited. 

"There. You said it. Now, go home and we'll see each other tomorrow again, okay?"

I looked at her desperately. 

"Eunbi, please. You don't understand."

"Then, make me! Make me understand, Chaeyeon. You said it yourself already. A one man team is not allowed here. What else do I need to understand?"

I avoided her intense gaze. 

"I..."

"I'm scared."

"I'm scared that it might happen again."

"Chae..."

"Put me in a team just don't make me the captain."

"But you..."

"Please, Eunbi. She died because of my incompetence as a captain. I lost Minju because I wasn't there when she needed me the most. She died because her captain wasn't there to protect her." 

"Minju died because of me."

I was on my knees crying my heartaches out as I remember bits and pieces of that night. 

 

2 years ago...

"We need to split up." Minju told me as we sneak in at the enemy's base. 

"No." I whispered as I checked on our surroundings. 

"You know that we have to." She said firmly while holding my hand. 

"I have a plan." She discussed it as soon as she can to the entire team. 

"Do you undetstand?" She said to her earpiece and waited for a unanimous agreement. 

"I'll go on ahead, okay?"

"Minju..."

"I'll be fine, babe. It's better this way, okay?"

I hugged her. Tightly. 

"I love you."

She kissed me before going on her way. 

"We'll move as soon as we receive the signal from A5, okay?"

"Roger that, A11."

 

"Where's A5?"

I went back to the base as soon as I made sure that everyone else in the second team is fine.

"She went back."

"Why?" I asked the person in front of me. <

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter