Beauty and the Beast

Mountain Rose
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“What kind of person am I? Am I a good person? Or a bad person? There are many ways to judge.”

August D, People

I was quiet as I walked behind Lady Hong and Yoongi, keeping my head down as I peered up from time to time to watch them converse in low tones.

Clasping my hands in front of me, I felt horribly inadequate, a far cry from the girl I had been this morning, and the brief time I had spent listening to Yoongi teach me.

It was hard to not feel that way, what with the fact that I was surrounded by splendour and riches as we walked through the immaculate hallways towards the dining hall.

I had never felt so out of place, and it was still so strange how a single flower could have been the reason I ended up here, dressed in silk. But at the same time, I understood the power I held; no way was I ever going to be in such a situation if I were to remain in the village, no matter how independent I had thought myself to be. Even if I were to be an apprentice as a gisaeng, there was no way the other villagers would think I was respectable enough.

But this was a different story. One I would very much love to tell to an audience of wide-eyed children, although I wasn’t sure I could even live long enough to do that, or long enough to escape this place.

I glanced at the various hallways as we passed, watching as the servants went about their daily errands curiously.

Well, at least if I had to endure such a painful parting with my family, I’m blessed enough by the heavens to be granted comfort and luxury.

I clasped my hands together in front of my hanbok, feeling the fabric rustle against my skin, and it reminded me of the costume I would wear whenever it was my turn to charm the noblemen while Hoseok carried out his little mischief.

Before I could even miss all those adventures with my brothers, the thought of Namjoon came to my mind suddenly, disarming me, and my breath caught.

Namjoon.

I wonder if he knows I am gone.

I wonder if Hoseok told him the truth about my disappearance.

I wonder if he even cares.

I huffed, shooing the thought away. He likes me, of course he would care.

I tried to imagine him standing before me, as he had that evening when he gave me the hairpin, with that dimple whenever he smiled at me, or that good natured pout whenever I threw an insult at him, or that shy glance that I always pretended not to see whenever he thought I wasn’t looking.

I reached up to my head, feeling it tucked safely in my hair. Along with Hoseok’s fishing bait, the hair pin was the only thing that reminded me of how carefree my life had been just days prior, and now, it was the only thing I had holding me and Namjoon together.

I’m sorry I didn’t appreciate you sooner, I thought to myself. You only wanted to reveal your feelings, but I kept pushing you away.

Now that I’m away from you, I’ve come to realize that I was wrong for that.

If someday I were to return to you, would you accept me again?

Or would you rescue me before I can do that?

As I looked up at Yoongi’s back profile, his towering, hulking body with the furry back of his head free for me to gaze upon, I was curious about one thing: what would he do, if Namjoon and my brothers decided to come for me and bring me home, promises be damned?

I imagined them, pushing through the heavy wooden doors, entering the grounds with their chaotic battle cries.

Namjoon had to be there too, I decided, to lead them, because who else would be the brains of the operation now that I was gone?

A smile teased the corner of my lips.

Oh, Eunji. You’re only starting to admire him now that you’re no longer here to see him again. Why, how predictable of you, as always. It’s not as if you even liked him in the first place, and now you’re fantasizing him rescuing you from the beast of the mountains.

You only want what you can’t have.

I rolled my eyes at myself.

Don’t forget who you are, my father’s voice suddenly echoed in my mind, and my little daydream evaporated before my eyes.

I in a breath, looking up just in time before I accidentally bumped into Lady Hong.

We had arrived.

Yoongi turned back. “This is the Phoenix Hall,” he said, as two servants opened the doors, “We will have our meals here from now on.”

My eyes widened, looking from his gaze to the hall. “Here?” I asked, careful not to look too distracted as I pretended to be interested in whatever he was talking about.

He entered the hall. “Yes. Please, enter.”

I slipped off my shoes, stepping into the large, cavern-like hall that seemed to engulf me. Paintings of golden phoenixes hung on the walls, and there were more on the thick wooden pillars, intricately engraved.

I looked around the room. Although I wasn’t exactly interested in it, I had to admit, despite the emptiness of the hall, there was something intriguing and mysterious about it that seemed to permeate every little space.

I closed my eyes, taking a deep breath.

Oh, Eunji, just imagine! One day when you go to the Capital, you’d be in halls grander than this one, won’t it be amazing?

“Do you like it?”

I opened my eyes, startled by how close Yoongi sounded. True enough, he was standing right in front of me, a look on his face that vaguely seemed expectant.

I looked away from him. “Y-yes.”

He gestured to the tables set upon the platform at the far end of the hall, set for two. “Shall we?”

Just us?

Alone?

I felt my heart pound faster.

My thoughts began to taunt me. Surely, you’re not afraid, Eunji?

I turned to Lady Hong, pretending to look curious. “Are you not eating with us too?”

“Only if you and the master would like me to.”

I glanced at Yoongi, seeing his eyes already on mine.

The intensity that lay there as he watched me was unnerving, and I wasn’t sure whether he knew what intentions I might have had.

I’m not the only one here with intentions. I shouldn’t have to feel so afraid.

He turned to Lady Hong. “Please join us.”

She bowed. “Yes, Master.”

We began to settle in as a servant brought another table to set in front of Lady Hong.

I could only stare in awe.

Once again, way more food than I would have eaten in one meal.

Not that I am complaining.

Yoongi might as well be royalty with his army of servants, and this large home, and his articulate staff.

I wouldn’t even be surprised.

“We would be having our meals here from now on,” Yoongi explained, “If that is alright with you?”

I shrugged. “I like it. Although, it’s very fancy to have a room just for dining.?”

“It was used as a training room before,” he replied, and I watched him in fascination as he deftly used his chopsticks to eat, “We would also keep the training materials here too, swords and the like.”

“We referring to…?”

“Viscount Kim and myself.”

I raised an eyebrow. “So not only do you read, write, and speak well, you are also a trained fighter?”

Here, he seemed to hesitate, as if he had spoken too much, and he exchanged a glance with Lady Hong, who chuckled softly.

Interesting. The longer I stay here, the more information I have to know about this beast.

He seems so dangerously human.

“I wouldn’t say he is well-trained, with the amount of times training was disrupted,” she commented, “Although, you should see Viscount Kim with a sword. He is not an elite swordsman for nothing.”

“Viscount Kim seems to have many talents.”

Lady Hong smiled. “A great many, which he puts to shame with that useless mouth of his,” came the airy reply, “You haven’t touched your food, child. Don’t wait for it to be cold.”

Before I could decide which dish to try, Lady Hong had already taken a quail egg and placed it in my bowl.

I blinked, looking at the egg for a few seconds, and then up at the woman in surprise.

I hadn’t expected that.

But Lady Hong was oblivious - or at least, it didn’t seem like she knew what I was feeling - because she was using her chopsticks to put more food into my bowl.

Mother has never done this for me. Not since I was a small girl.

And never this kindly. She would simply dump the food on my plate and scold me for not eating like a girl, whatever that meant.

“After your little... misadventure, shall we say it?” she said, “I must ensure you are well fed. We don’t want you to feel faint while you climb onto rooftops, do we?”

The snark in her voice sounded conspiratorial, as if we were sharing an inside joke that Yoongi wasn’t part of, and it was funny how, up until this point, Lady Hong seemed to be the last person I wanted to trust, not with the way she seemed to remain calm in every situation.

And yet I couldn’t help but feel the sincerity behind the woman’s actions, as if I were a stray dog on the brink of starvation and Lady Hong were a kindly villager who had just placed a bowl of meat in front of me.

“No, ma’am,” I answered, transfixed as the elder woman continued to portion some of the side dishes for me, “I’ve broken an arm before, slipping off a roof. Never again.”

“I’m certain you’ve had your share of misfortunes, Miss Eunji, no doubt about that,” Lady Hong said with a chuckle, “Although I hope nothing harmful comes of your staying here. We’d like you to remain in one piece, do I make myself clear?”

I nodded. “Yes, Lady Hong.”

“Good girl. Now eat, even a gust of a wind can knock you off your feet.”

I ate a spoonful of rice. “I doubt that,” I replied, mouth full.

“You could prove yourself in a fighting match, if the master is bored,” she replied, unimpressed, “I have a feeling you’re no stranger to a scuffle every now and then. But you can’t be a fighter on an empty stomach.”

I felt something bloom in my chest when she heard that. To be sure, Lady Hong seemed the type to be mildly amused while Viscount Kim was more expressive, but there was something in the way she spoke that revealed something far more maternal behind the clockwork precision and the impeccable work ethic.

I hoped Lady Hong would join them for every meal.

“This is not leading us anywhere,” Hoseok lamented, “We’ve been out for hours, and still no sign of a castle. Are you sure you’re going the right way?”

“It has to be,” Namjoon muttered, leading Areum up the rocky path, “This is the only way up, and you did say your father mentioned it was in the mountains- Hoseok, look.”

He stopped the horse, and his friend, who had been morosely walking beside him, stopped too.

Namjoon felt a little smile on his lips. “Do you think you’d have seen this if we hadn’t left the village?”

Hoseok let out a grunt. “Joon. We came here to find my sister, not look at the view,” he muttered, “Can we move already?”

“I need to commit this view into my memory. It’s taking my breath away.”

“You and Eunji are so sentimental! It’s just the sun in the sky, for heavens’ sake,” he grumbled, walking ahead, “We have to be back before nightfall, or we might be doomed to wander in the mountains forever. And what if we run into the mountain spirit or something, we’re going to die in the mountains without anyone finding us! And let’s not talk about the fact that my own brothers aren’t going to come after me, I’m probably the least favorite sibling…”

Namjoon ignored him, absentmindedly Areum’s mane as he stared at the vast landscape.

“Joon! Get over here, quick!”

His head whipped towards his friend’s voice, clutching his chest in surprise. “Hoseok, you scared me!”

“Hu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter