Year One: The Sorting Hat

Protego Totalum

“Are we here?”

”I suppose so SinB..”

The two girls were told to put their animals in their cages and to follow the group of first years to the docks.

They said goodbye to their animal companions and walked towards the large group of students who had unspecified robes like themselves. 

As they were walking, SinB saw that Yerin was by herself so she called her over.

”Yerin!”

She waved her hand to make her come closer and the girl hesitantly made her way towards her and Eunbi.

”You seemed lonely so I thought you might want some company!”

”Thank you Eunbi-ssi..”

”Please, call me SinB!”

Yerin nodded and smiled. The three walked towards the docks and were put in a boat, only being lit by a small lantern in the dark night. As they began to move, the mist covering the water began to dissipate.

The silhouette of a large mountain was seen and then after a few moments, a great castle was seen with multiple towers. It was magnificent.

Eunbi gasped as she held onto SinB’s sleeve.

”That’s it! Look at how big it is!”

SinB kept looking up at it in awe. She sighed and smiled.

”It’s awesome..”

*******

”Your luggage has been put inside your dormitories and for now, we will be going into the great hall in order for the house choosing ceremony to begin.”

The students were being instructed by a professor. They were led to two large and wooden doors. They waited there so that they would get the signal for them to enter.

”I-I’m a bit scared..”

”Why Yerin?”

SinB looked at Yerin who had a nervous look on her face.

”I heard that Slytherin is a bad house...I don’t want to get in there..”

”I’m pretty sure it isn’t all bad right?”

”Oh but it is!”

They heard a voice from behind and then approached a tall girl with blonde hair and bangs.

”Slytherin has produced the most dark wizards and witches! More than any other house here...Voldemort was in Slytherin..”

Everyone gasped and Yerin hugged onto SinB’s arm. SinB looked up at the girl.

”What’s your name?”

”Kim Sojung. And you are?”

”Hwang Eunbi.”

All of the kids around them gasped. Sojung was taken aback as well.

”Your father was a Ravenclaw. I’m pretty sure you’ll be okay.”

”But just because someone’s in Slytherin, doesn’t mean we should be rude to them...they might be really nice people..”

Sojung hummed and nodded in agreement. The doors were then opened and the professor began to lead them in the large room.

As they were walking, SinB spotted Hoseok so she waved at him with a smile and he waved back at her nervously with a small smile. He was in Hufflepuff and rightfully so as he seemed like the cheerful type.

They stopped in front of a set of stone stairs. Then from the back of the long table of professors stood up an incredibly tall man with a dark brown beard and long hair. 

“Why hello there everyone! I am the new headmaster around here and for those of yous who don’t know me, just call me headmaster Hagrid! I’ve been at this here school for a long time so I am very excited to see it continue on with me putting in my input! Now we will start the sorting hat ceremony for the first years. Professor Lee will read out the names and you will sit at that stool and the hat will be placed on your head.”

Professor Lee cleared his throat and he called up the first name.

”Kim Sojung!”

The blonde girl from before was called up and she sat on the stool. Professor Lee placed the hat gently on her head and it began to move and speak.

”Hmm..a brave soul we have here...pretty smart and strong-minded..Gryffindor!”

The Gryffindor table cheered and Sojung smiled as she rushed towards the table and took a seat. Professor Lee called up the next name.

”Jung Yerin!”

Yerin scurried up to the stool and the hat was placed on her head.

”Lets see...loyal and kind...a bit of an energetic girl here...yet very brave and proud...Gryffindor!”

Yerin smiled brightly and took a seat next to Sojung. Professor Lee kept calling up names one by one and they were placed in different houses.

”Choi Yuna!”

A tall girl with dark hair and bangs walked up and sat on the stool, as soon as the hat touched her head it said:

”Ahh! Hufflepuff!”

Yuna smiled as she ran over to the Hufflepuff table. Professor Lee spoke up again.

”Kim Yewon!”

She came from behind the group, walking with a sort of gracefulness that Eunbi could compare to a swan. She was left dumbfounded as she walked right past her.

”E-Eunbi...who is that..?”

”That’s Kim Yewon. I got to know her a bit on the train. She’s incredibly smart and very kind.”

”And beautiful...”

SinB breathed out as she looked at the girl who had the hat on her head. Eunbi looked to her with a confused face but soon went back to put her attention to the hat.

”Hmm...extremely intelligent..Ravenclaw!”

The Ravenclaw table cheered and Yewon let out a bright smile that SinB was sure was brighter than the sun. She ran off as her hair moved along with her in a graceful manner.

SinB rested her head on Eunbi’s shoulder as she sighed out in bliss. ‘I think I like her..’ Thought SinB.

”Jung Eunbi!”

Eunbi pushed her head away as she was a bit annoyed and walked up to sit at the stool.

”Where to put you, where to put you...huh..how about...Slytherin!”

All of the kids gasped as the Slytherin table cheered. Eunbi was on the verge of tears and she defeatedly walked towards the table.

”Hwa...woah..Hwang Eunbi!”

Professor Lee stuttered and up came SinB. She sat on the stool, she sighed as soon as the hat was on her head.

”You’re just like your father...smart...strong...loyal...and cunning. I could put you in any house and you would do good...although one house stands out from the rest of them.”

 SinB silently prayed that she wouldn’t get Slytherin but nothing can get past the sorting hat.

”You seem to be conflicted huh? You don’t want that house ay?”

SinB closed her eyes tightly as she tried to stop her tears.

”I’m sorry my dear...Slytherin!”

SinB lowered her head as she stood up and walked towards the table and sat next to Eunbi. She was scared sitting around the older kids dressed in green lined robes. One of the boys started to talk.

”Now which one of the kids told you our house was the worse? It really isn’t. If you look past the bad wizards and all of that, you’ll see that we are as intelligent as Ravenclaw and as brave as that dumb Gryffindor!”

SinB spoke up in a small voice.

”How about Hufflepuff? A-are we like them too?”

”To a certain extent but we must always be alert. Don’t trust as many people as Hufflepuff does. That can get you hurt. But don’t worry, we’re not rude! We are simply blunt!”

SinB and Eunbi relaxed a bit and the boy held out his hand.

”I’m a third year, Min Yoongi. Nice to meet you.”

He smiled at the two as they shook his hand. The two introduced themselves and Yoongi looked at them fondly.

”I see the two of you becoming something big in this world. Someone important.”