Goodbyes and New Beginnings

The Boy From The Meadows

A/N: hey guys, Angrypineapple here, sorry for not updating i was busy with college. it's pure hell here, im dying rn hahaha. anyways please enjoy my word vomit, i'm procrastinating on studying for my physics exam uhuhu. Sorry for grammar mistakes and what not, english aint my first language ohohoho and i have no beta so just bear with it i guess?

 

The carriage was, unfortunately, stuck once again.

The young heir of the Kim family stared out of the carriage window forlornly, it was the raining quite heavily, and the wheel getting stuck in the muddy country roads was something that is inevitable. Young master Jongdae, knew that the celebration of his birthday was near, he knew it was so because of the colour of the leaves. Every year, young Jongdae would wait for the leaves to turn into brilliant shades of red, oranges and brown, it is his favourite colours. He was born in the autumn where nature provides them bountiful harvest, it is the season where the sound of music and merriment could be heard from villages over the valley where they are celebrating the harvest festival; he had never been to one but he had heard wonderful stories from the old matron who cooks in the kitchens of how pretty the streets in the village are when illuminated with lanterns, how villagers would dance in a circle together and how everyone would bring something of their own the hot pot and share it with the rest of the villagers.

Jongdae was fond of the matron, who would tell him curious tales, and he was even fond of her pastries, it was no secret the old matron Millie was his favourite, just as she was his mother’s favourite because she had taken care of Jongdae’s mother since she was a wee child. But now Jongdae was sad, because old Matron Millie had retired and would not be joining them on the move to the newly built manor. This was the reason for his distress, but his mother had said that Jongdae should be happy for Old matron Millie for she can now rest and shower her grandchild with love. Jongdae had never met the matron’s children or her grandchild, but he hoped that they would cherish her and appreciate her pastries and wonderful tales. He had promised the matron to write her letters when he had learned how to read and write properly, for now he still had a little trouble with his spellings.

The horses neighed a shrill whine and the carriage was free from its static position, they are once again on their journey to the newly built manor. Mrs Kim who has noticed her son’s dour mood had motioned for Jongdae to come closer to her gave him a warm embrace. Jong dae whined and asked his mother,

“Why do we have to move mommy? I am tired and it has been raining all day, it’s cold and I miss Matron Millie’s blueberry tarts” Jongdae complained petulantly as him mother comforts him.

“Now Jongdae, calm down, we’re moving because of our family’s business, your father had decided to expand the trade to this region and I understand that you miss Matron Millie, I miss her too but I’m happy that she can rest and spend the rest of her days peacefully with her family, won’t you be happy for her Jongdae?” Jongdae sighed and burrowed further into his mother’s warmth.

“…I guess so, if matron Millie is happy, then I’m happy too” his mother chuckled and leaned down to kiss his forehead,

“That’s my baby boy, now it’s time for your afternoon nap” his mother then starts to pat his back rhythmically, trying to lull him to sleep as she hummed him a sweet lullaby. Jongdae pouts and said to his mother,

“I’m a big boy now, you can’t call me baby anymore, I’m gonna protect you from bad guys and-“ Jongdae yawned, it seemed like he was sleepy.

“Oh, you’re a big boy now hm? I guess you won’t need mommy to put you to sleep like this anymore right?” Jongdae gasped and exclaimed,

“No, no, no, I’m a big boy but I still need mommy’s warm hugs before I go to sleep or the monsters are gonna get me-“ Mrs. Kim laughed and said,

“I’m just kidding Jongdae, you’ll always get my hugs no matter how old you are now, sleep..” and just like that, Jongdae closed his tired eye and when to a peaceful slumber.

The man who was sitting there in silence sighed readjusted his coat, this is man is Mr Kim a reserved man who may seem cold, but he loves his wife and son dearly, but it seems that he has trouble expressing it to his son. Jongdae wasn’t very close to his father as he was away for business and work most of the time.

“You shouldn’t baby him too much, this is why he has trouble sleeping on his own-“ his wife raised and a delicate eyebrow at her husband’s statement,

“I shall shower affections for my child however I seem fit, it seems to me that you wouldn’t mind sleeping on your own tonight dear husband” Mrs Kim smiled and stared at his husband through her long lashes, her painted lips are curved mischievously.

Mr Kim gulped, his wife is a fierce woman dressed in the loveliest of silks and painted red lips, and he wouldn’t dare to cross her.

“Yes of course darling, I apologize” at this the matriarch hummed, satisfied at his response.

“That’s what I thought, now, if you wanted a hug you should’ve just said so you silly man” and motioned her husband to get closer to her,

“You men should express yourself more, seriously, what does it cost you to say that you want some tender care and loving from your wife?” Mr Kim let out a chuckle and embraced his family, and there nestled in the middle, little Jongdae unknowingly smiled at he warmth from his parents.

Yes, it seems so that this family is going to have a fresh new start to new beginnings.