3-Following Rome's Rules

So you're the newbie?

    Everybody cracked up. And when I say crack up, they literally make all sorts of weird noises while laughing. I'm frustrated but I didn't even managed to get back my phone. Taehyun immediately slid it back into his pocket again.

    "What the--"

    Meanwhile the teacher came. It was a young man, nicely parted hair, wearing a long sleeve shirt and a grey jumper. Because the guys are still into their own business, the teacher cleared his throat to demand attention from us. I looked to him and hope he will get my SOS signal, but in fact, his eyes can't stay still, guess he was just as nervous as me.

    "Class monitor?" It's clearly time for a greeting. Till they moved back to their seats, I was left with an extra table way behind the class. No choice, I need to sit there and keep myself away from them for dear life.

    Taehyun stood while picking his ear :"Guys, say hello."

    "Good morning teacher!" Yelled Jongmin and Donggu.

    "What's up, yo?" Defconn rapped in his own tune.

    "Who's this guy?" Junho said to Joonyoung who was sitting in front, and only get a silent shrug from him.

    "Good... Morning." I barely lipsync. Is this how they talk to their teachers?!

    "Where's Ilyong?" Taehyun asked :"Aren't you on of his colleagues? I think I saw you at the teacher's office some other day. New teacher?"

    "Teacher Yoo had left school after teaching for 5 years. He said he needed vacation." The young man didn't react to their ty attitude, seems to have a very good temper :"And from today I will be your new teacher, I am teacher Kim Seong."

    The class was quiet for some good seconds, till they burst out laughing again.

    "Kim Seong? As in ''?*" Junho.

    "What a y name to have hahaha!!!" Defconn.

    "I'm suddenly reminded of Seonggi hyung** from the Acting Club!" Even Donggu chipped in.

    "Let's just call him Ero Kim." Back to Junho :" And till he resigns."

    "Guys can you treat him better..." I whispered softly behind their voices. I think I know why the previous teacher resigned for a vacation. Because, who can handle this 6 pieces of mess?

    So I started to monitor the guys throughout the classes.

    Junho pays zero attention to class. When he wasn't playing mobile games, he will be asleep or eating snacks from his drawer. He sometimes mumbles in unidentifiable English while he naps. His table partner, Jongmin kept himself busy too. He enjoys annoying Junho when he tries to sleep, and joins him sleeping then.

    Defconn was a musician indeed, he can study while nodding his head with his earphones plugged. His tablemate Taehyun, was actually focusing on class, taking notes and simultaneously scribbling on his table. Although this only lasted for the first class before he knocked out like the Kims. 

    Donggu is the only one who concentrated in class. The teacher was only communicating with him throughout his lecture. He asked questions and kept track of which page the lesson's going to. Unlike him, Joonyoung constantly stared out of the windows looking at the clouds and birds or flirting with girls who passed by our class.

    After 4 classes, we were given 30 minutes to self study. As I pictured none of them are going to do as told, they gathered in a circle to play games. I watched them at my seat. From their frequent screams and silly laughs, they seemed so happy having fun. It made me miss my old friends. So much.

    I wanted to be in a group too.

    "Hey... what are you playing?" I cautiously walked up to them. They were playing a weird game, I hear them talking bad about each other, happily. Junho's the most attacked as his laughter sounds forced compared to his smile.

    "It's called 'The Flaw Game'. We talk about flaws of the person beside you..." Donggu's explanation was cut short by Taehyun :"Yah you're interrupting the flow." Chills went down my back when he glared at me.

    "Oh wait, since we have a new guy now, how will we decide our levels?" Asked Joonyoung. Levels? I didn't had this kind of thing back at my old school...

    "Do you mean who's calling who 'hyung'?" I suddenly got it :"even though we're all of the same age?"

    Jongmin and Defconn nodded. I can see Taehyun frowning which is what feared me. Junho said in a reluctant tone :"So we're doing the game again? I don't want to lose my current rank though."

    "Guys, you should try to accept new people." Teacher Kim suddenly voiced. Taehyun sighed and grabbed his notebook to draw something. Joonyoung and Donggu cleared up a table without being told. I suppose this they're the "youngest" from the last game.

    After 5 minutes, Taehyun slammed his notebook on the table. He drew 7 numbers above a complicated flock of "stairs" made up by straight and curved lines crossing over each other.

    "Sadari(ladder)?" Why are they suddenly playing this game?

    "Okay number 3 is mine." Junho stated. Followed by Taehyun that claimed that he wants 6. Defconn took 1, which was his lucky number according to himself. Jongmin picked 2, Donggu went with 4.

    "I want 5." Joonyoung announced :"Chose yours, newbie."

    "I guess I'll have to go with 7..." That was my only option.

    Taehyun started tracing the line under Junho's number. His pen moved left and right following the lines, while the other guys hummed a melody that I had once heard on an oldschool gaming console.

    "Wait hyung!" Jongmin paused the game :"Do you want to trade with me?"

    "What? In this absolute moment?!" I mean the line was almost reaching the end and the game's at ! Junho growled and grabbed his hair in agony. He clearly hates this kind of moments. Defconn gave some comments :"Trade with him hyung, I got a feeling that 3 isn't a good choice." Donggu rebutted :"No don't trade, just go with your instincts hyung!"

    "Why do you guys keep doing this to me?!" Junho was jumping :"Joonyoung-ah what should I do?"

    I shifted my eyes to Joonyoung. He was holding his chin with one hand, observing Junho, Jongmin and the paper. He seemed to be calculating something in his mind. Everybody eagerly waited for his answer. I suppose he is the wise one.

    But still, I can't stop thinking about the trading.

    "Keep number 3." Joonyoung stared at the paper sharply :"I am sure."

    "I'll stay with this number then." Junho suggest in relief while Jongmin looks like he lost a round already. Taehyun resumed moving his pen downwards. A weird feeling crept up my back and made me immediately yelled out: 

    "Wait-- trade with him." 

*****

Seong 성 has several meanings such as castle, success, and .

Seong Gi 성기 is a common name for boys (for example, Ahn Seong Gi is a famous actor), but it also carries the meaning of ual organ.