MiMo

Twice Square
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

A little push from people isn’t so bad at all

 

xxx

 

 

“Have you seen the new Intern?”

 

“Oh, the one where Mr. Kwon single handedly picked? I heard that girl is the top in her classes and not to mention she’s hella pretty”

 

 

Momo overhears various rumors inside their office as soon as she walks in. A new intern she heard? It has been a while since Tokyo Daily hired anyone. It usually takes around 6 months till a year due to their high standards and not to mention that their office just hired someone not long ago- specifically 2 months ago. Tokyo Daily is one of the top contenders when it comes to Journalism which is why the board members carefully examine each resume that are being handed.

 

While making her way to Mr. Kwon’s office, she sees a silhouette of an unfamiliar person inside his office. Must be the said Intern. Being a good natured person, Momo knocks the door of their President’s room before pushing the door with a smile plaster on her face.

 

 

“Aha! Just in time, Ms. Hirai! Come on in, I need to introduce to you to our new intern here” Mr. Kwon smiles brightly as he takes his gaze off from the Intern.

 

 

Momo just nods as she makes her way to the other chair adjacent from the Intern. The older Japanese listens intently on what their President is talking about- mainly their next coverage in an upcoming Swimming competition. But somehow Momo’s focus comes astray as she begins to observe the Intern while scribbling some main points on her notepad.

 

The Intern seems to be stern and very practical with the things that is being handed to her or that’s what Momo’s inner voice would say to her. On the other hand, Momo clearly remembers that each Team Leaders would personally be the Intern’s mentor and Momo hopes that Mr. Kwon would assign the Intern to another group.

 

 

“Momo, the reason why I sent you an email yesterday is that I want you to train our new Intern since your Sports coverage is your strongest points among the groups”

 

 

Or maybe Momo spoke too soon.

 

Okay maybe Momo was just intimidated by the new Intern. Momo is never good with first meetings especially to this type of Intern but Momo still hopes that everything she observes is just false.

 

 

“Of course, Mr. Kwon. I’ll do my best”

 

xxx

 

The first week with the Intern was better than what Momo had expected it to be.

 

Myoui Mina, the Intern coming from Kobe University has her usual stoic expression whenever she is working with Momo. But whenever she is with the other older Intern, she would have that relaxed expression plastered across her face. Momo sometimes would think back whether she gave the poor Intern a hard time or was she too strict. But Momo was never strict- unless when she really needs to be but in everyday? That’s impossible.

 

She didn’t know that she has been frowning right in front of her food up until Sana, the other Team Leader from another Department nudges her side. Momo would rant about on how Mina is that, on how Mina does that just like what she did the past 3 days. But today, she might let it slide for now since she had a rough morning as soon as she woke up.

 

She woke up right in front of her PC, she has been researching about a specific team for the upcoming Swimming competition, Osaka Stingers. They have been the undefeated contender in the pool ever since 2 years ago on how they swept Tokyo Dragons off their spot. Their rivalry still intrigues Momo up to this date.

 

She also ran out of milk. Goddamn it. How can Momo forget that essential piece especially when it comes to breakfast. How can Momo enjoy her Froot Loops for breakfast? But food is food, Momo could deal her milk later.

 

She got distracted in watching Dog Fails to the extent where she realized that she only had 10 minutes left before her shifts starts. Okay maybe Momo did not really regret watching the video, come on- who does not love those adorable ball of sunshine?

 

She shows up 10 minutes late which causes Mina to give her THAT look. God, Momo wants to evaporate right there and then. She would usually be in the office approximately 10 – 15 minutes earlier than her usual time.

 

 

“Rough morning?” Sana settles across the table while glancing up to her coworker.

 

Momo hums “This is the only time that I want to go home” she groans as she buries her face on her palm.

 

“Is this about the new Intern?”

 

“Great guess you have there, Minatozaki”

 

 

She hears Sana’s heartily laugh before deciding to peek in between her fingers which she catches Mina glancing at their table. God, how can she function like a normal human being if Mina gives off that kind of vibe to her? No, no, being Professional is good but sometimes Mina needs to lighten up whenever Momo tries to crack some jokes. She could see on how the Intern’s shoulders stiffen whenever Momo does her encouraging pat.

 

Did Momo stepped in her comfort zone? Well .

 

xxx

 

The competition day has finally came and Momo is extra ecstatic to watch the whole show which is why she arrives at their office on time. She sees Mina at the entrance and decides to wait for their van with her.

 

 

“Good morning, Ms. Myoui” Momo waves while having that wide smile across her face.

 

 

Mina merely nods as she regains her focus back to her phone. Instead of being sulky, Momo just pretended that nothing had happened as she stands beside Mina. She glances at what the younger girl was doing just to see that she was playing a game.

 

Pubg.

 

Momo did not expect Mina to be a fan of this trendy game. The older Japanese had played a couple of times on this said game, but she has grown to hate the game over time. Why? Maybe it’s because she has a poor eye and hand coordination or just simply, she wasn’t built to play these kinds of games in the long run. Momo believes the latter.

 

When Momo takes another peek at Mina’s screen, she just saw a congratulatory message that she has won the game.

 

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

 

That line always gets Momo to crack up and she did in which Mina snaps her neck towards her direction. Great. Just great.

 

 

“Oh, sorry! I did not mean to be nosey” Momo holds her hands up as she darts her eyes anywhere else aside from Mina.

 

“That’s alright” Mina speaks in a gentle tone as she keeps her phone in her bag.

 

 

They were silent for quite some time up until Momo clears .

 

 

“Nervous for your first interview later?” Momo takes a quick glance at the younger girl.

 

“A bit”

 

“Don’t worry, you’ll do good. I trust you”

 

 

They are back in being silent once again. Momo has a lot of things in mind but she could seem to formulate the right words to say. She isn’t used to this kind of silence it’s because Momo would get along with her coworkers after several meetings with them. But with Mina? It’s hard to crack her shell open.

 

Even the car ride was dead silent except for the background music that comes from the radio. The Team Leader somehow spares glances at the Intern and could see her fumbling with her fingers while looking out of the window. If only Momo could give her an encouragement pat but the older girl is pretty much concern that Mina would just flinch once again.

 

During the competition, Mina has her solid focus on the game while Momo manages to spare glances at her. Seeing this side of Mina is new to Momo since she often encounters Mina’s stoic face every single day except when they are on their break.

 

xxx

 

“What can you say that you brought home the trophy this year once again? Do you have any lucky charms that you and your teammates brought alongside with you?”

 

“We felt very blessed that we have been bringing home the bacon the past 2 years now! Lucky charms you say? We are each other’s lucky charm and I guess it is safe to say that we have pushed ourselves beyond our limits in terms of training 5 – 6 times a day”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter