You DO, DO You?

I DO, DO I?

 

“Next time, you better talk to me instead of running away,” Kyungsoo murmured as he wrapped his arms around Jongin's sweaty body.

They had been making up for lost time all night long.

“Well, you better not have any more ex-boyfriends show up on our doorstep.”

Jongin stuck his tongue out at him, getting the cuddle of death in return. Kyungsoo hugged him so tightly that he could barely breathe. And once he released him, Kyungsoo's face became even more serious than usual.

“I've already told Chanyeol that I'm a happily married man and that I plan to stay that way forever.”

Kyungsoo looked him right in the eyes as he said those sweet words in that warm, husky voice of his. Jongin's heart twitched. He melted so hard that he skipped the liquid stage and evaporated into pure vapor. He had dissolved into happy, volatile particles that were flying all over the place.

Not able to contain his feelings, he attacked Kyungsoo with an intimate kiss loaded with quiet meaning. Taken aback, it took Kyungsoo a moment to react. But when he did, he did so with all his heart, bringing the kiss to a whole other level. Jongin had never experienced anything as intense before. It was as if there was an invisible bond forming between them, a direct link between their hearts that continuously pumped high voltage electricity, giving him an electric shock every few seconds.

Things were getting heated, but it wasn't just raw passion, it was something much deeper. Their bodies were communicating without words and what they had to say was beautiful. Jongin had never felt so moved, so understood. Kyungsoo saw him. He really saw him, flaws and all. And instead of running away, he was running towards him at full speed. Jongin just had to have the courage to stay still and welcome him into his heart.

 

Drawing soft circles on Kyungsoo's shoulder, Jongin watched him as he drifted off to sleep with an exhausted smile stuck to his lips. Jongin was proud of that smile, he had a stake in that smile. He could never get used to Kyungsoo's quiet yet breathtaking beauty. He could watch him for hours on end and never get bored. He was not just handsome, he had something indescribable about him. That elusive X-factor you couldn't quite put your finger on. Jongin wouldn't have believed it, but Kyungsoo was becoming more and more gorgeous every single day. How that was even possible was beyond his understanding. It defied the laws of physics.

Jongin took a deep breath, letting a rainbow of emotions wash over him in waves. He loved Kyungsoo so much it hurt. He never wanted to let him go and he wanted to show him that. He wanted to show Kyungsoo he was all in, for now and forever, no matter what. But what could he do? They were already married so there wasn't much left to do. But when they got married, it was out of duty to their families. Jongin wanted to get married out of love, not necessity. Determined, he cuddled up to the sleeping Kyungsoo and started thinking of ways to propose.

 

 

Jongin wasn't sure whether it was excitement or just dizziness from blowing up dozens of balloons, but his gut was experiencing bouts of zero gravity. The guests would be arriving in an hour. With Suho's help, Jongin had delved into Kyungsoo's contacts and invited every single person he had ever known. Both of their families were coming, their friends, colleagues, everybody! And Kyungsoo didn't have a clue. It was a surprise.

The last few days had been insane to the point that Kyungsoo was starting to detect that something was off. Only he interpreted Jongin's poorly explained absences and frequent space outs as warning signs that something was wrong with their relationship. He must have been really worried, because the night before the proposal he sat Jongin down and asked him if there was something wrong, reminding him of the promise he had made, to speak up before doing anything rash and ill-advised. Jongin maintained that it was just nerves for the upcoming dance exhibition he was participating in and invited Kyungsoo to come watch. He emphasized that he desperately needed Kyungsoo there for moral support, to make absolutely sure he would show up.

BANG!

Startled, Jongin looked at the balloon carcass in his hand. He had been so preoccupied, he had passed the balloon's limit, blowing it up until it burst right in his face. Its funeral would have to wait. He rounded up all its friends into a net that was hoisted up to the ceiling. When, not if but when, Kyungsoo accepted his proposal, the balloons would be released on top of them, creating a fairy tale moment. He couldn't wait to see Kyungsoo's reaction.

When the guests had arrived, all 107 of them, and Jongin had checked on the fourteen-story cake for the thousandth time, making sure it was still intact with the tiny Kyungsoo and tiny Jongin happily dancing together on top, because the cake would be brought out after Kyungsoo said yes to his proposal and it had to be perfect, he went outside to wait for Kyungsoo.

Pacing up and down the sidewalk, he checked his watch. Kyungsoo should have opened his restaurant an hour ago. What if Kyungsoo had decided that the restaurant's reputation was more important than Jongin's inconsequential little dance recital. He checked his phone, no messages. If he wasn't coming, he would've sent a message. Right? Jongin's stomach churned. What was he going to do with all those people if Kyungsoo didn't show up?

Biting his nails, Jongin checked the time. Only 20 seconds had passed since he checked it last. But just when he was losing hope, Kyungsoo's petite silhouette peeked from behind the corner. Before he knew it, Jongin was running to meet him, throwing himself into his arms.

“Are you that nervous? I thought this was just some small showcase,” Kyungsoo said, tightening his arms around him, lightly his back.

“I'm okay now that you're here,” Jongin whispered and buried his face into Kyungsoo's neck. He smelled like home. It instantly settled the war that had been raging in his gut.

Kyungsoo giggled quietly. He cut the hug short, but instead, he snuck his hand into Jongin's and side-by-side they walked in together.

It was the longest elevator ride of Jongin's life. He was bursting at the seams to see Kyungsoo's reaction when a hundred of his closest friends and family greeted him with enthusiasm. And in the chaos, Jongin was going to go down on one knee and ask for his hand in marriage with everyone as a witness.

Oh no.

The realization slapped him across the face, tentacles of panic crawling along his veins. How was he so stupid? He had prepared the perfect proposal, for himself. Kyungsoo, however, hated crowds and direct attention. He would get multiple heart attacks as everyone he knew yelled surprise at him and attacked him from every side. And he would be awkward and uncomfortable being in the spotlight while Jongin proposed to him, yet he would fake his way through it with a frozen smile.

Jongin's heart dropped. He wanted the proposal to be a precious memory for Kyungsoo too, something he would look back on with fondness, not terror. He wanted him to be genuinely happy, not just pretending to be. The moment the elevator opened, Jongin saw everything clearly. He knew what he had to do. Before Kyungsoo could reach the entrance of the venue, Jongin grabbed him from behind and stopped him. Backhugging him in the middle of the deserted hallway, he whispered in Kyungsoo's ear.

“Will you marry me?”

Kyungsoo stood still for a while and then turned around.

“We're already married,” he said with a soft smile.

“Back then I only did it because I was forced to and we didn't even have a ceremony. I want to marry you not because I have to, but because I want to. With the world as my witness, I want to show you that I choose you,” Jongin said, determined.

“And now I'm asking you to choose me too.”

Jongin had never felt as vulnerable in his life. He had been confident Kyungsoo would accept his proposal, but now that the words had actually left his mouth and there was no way of taking them back, the butterflies kept spreading doubts with their endless flutter.

Kyungsoo took Jongin's hands in his and looked deep into his eyes.

“I chose you a long time ago and I've been choosing you every day since.”

Jongin's heart did a cartwheel, his eyes moistening.

“So... so it's a yes?”

Kyungsoo giggled.

“Of course it's a yes. But shouldn't we go in already, you'll be late for your performance?”

“Ah, about that...”

Jongin told him what an idiot he had been and that all he really wanted was to spend the night with him just the two of them.

“Oh, I know! Brace yourself. Like a shot, this will be quick and painful,” Jongin warned him before pulling him inside.

“SURPRISE!”

A wall of sound greeted them. His hand in Kyungsoo's, he raised it up high.

“We're getting married!” he exclaimed and ran right back out again while everyone cheered for them.

“Is it really okay to just leave like that? They all came for us,” Kyungsoo said on the elevator ride down, his eyebrows tangled in a worry knot.

“They have copious amounts of food and entertainment. They'll be fine,” Jongin assured him, leaning in for a sweet kiss.

Kyungsoo wasn't the biggest fan of public displays of affection, but since it was only the two of them in the elevator and Jongin was riding a rainbow of happiness, he risked it. To his surprise, Kyungsoo didn't pull back or even complain. He kissed him right back and their lips were stuck together for the remainder of the ride down.