Prologue

Day of the Living Six (Day6 Fan-Fiction)

    October 31, 3009,

    Halloween washed over the lively nation. 

    Children excitedly ran through the streets, their costumes varying in designs. Parents trailed behind; exhaustion strewn across their faces as they watched their kin walk up to neighborhood doors. Teenagers who were "too cool" for costumes roamed around the area; sizing up different houses as they planned mischievous pranks upon unsuspecting persons.

    Per usual, the night was chilly. A soft, yet bone-chilling breeze nipped at exposed flesh; its invisible teeth tugging fingertips and noses. Concerned mothers argued with their younger children; coats in hand as they tried to coax their offspring into slipping the warmth over their glitzy costumes. 

     However, the winter-laden weather would soon be the least of their worries.

    To be honest, no one was entirely positive as to how the first outbreak occurred. All anyone could remember were the screams that filled the night air; the smell of iron coating the soon blood-soaked streets. The world seemed to both halt and spin off of its axis all at once.

    Shrieks greeted growls that met hungry predators prowling for living prey. 

    Mothers and fathers tried their best to carry their children as they ran from the undead monsters that began to clog the streets. Cries for help from those bitten soon turned into muffled groans before exploding into vicious growls; their bodies twisting and bending like professional contortionists. 

    Many speculated the outbreak was a direct form of population control via the government, while others claimed the attack was a scientific mishap. Perhaps scientists had been working on some sort of bio-warfare weapon when one of the "lab tests" escaped from an unknown facility. The third most common idea was that the outbreak was a form of punishment bestowed upon mankind via an omnipotent being. This particular theory followed the notion that human beings had begun living too carelessly, so the infection was a form of atonement for their sins. 

    Whatever the theory, one thing was certain: The world would never be the same again.

-

    September 23, 3011,

    Nearly two years had passed since the first outbreak.

    Approximately 75% of the world's population had been infected. Those who were fortunate enough to still be fully alive began seeking shelter. Governments began building sanctuaries and quarantines in hopes of preserving lives. 

    For once, after what seemed like an eternity, humans began to feel a newfound sense of hope. People were as happy as possible; their tummies full and minds somewhat at ease knowing they'd be safe for, at least, another night. The people felt secure in their federal-issued homes. After all, authority had to protect them, right?    

    Wrong.

    Humans placed their lives in the hands of fellow beings. Their safety was purely man-made; a facade more vicious than those who bared their sharp teeth and blood-caked claws. Their fate relied solely on human beings and, as expected, mankind failed.

    Despite the familiar screams of terror and agony, however, hope still wafted through the air; its invisible charm dangling over those who managed to escape like a pair of fuzzy dice hanging from a rear-view mirror. 

-

    October 31, 3013,

    Four years since the first outbreak. 

    Nearly 99% of the world's population had been infected. The once 7 billion populated world was now left with 70 million living beings. For the last year or so, what was left of the nation had began rebuilding civilization. 

   Together, survivors from all walks of life joined together in building a new gated state. Decent-sized schools were created for children and teens. An abandoned university located in the center of the city had been restored. Once stranded houses were now occupied with families, singles, and elderly. 

    Ex-military and law enforcement personnel guarded the 40 foot high walls that already encapsulated the state's northern and southern borders. Further construction had to be undergone in order to build along the eastern and western state-lines, but raw materials increasingly became more difficult to transport with each passing day. 

    Not that it was particularly crucial.

    The new state had been cleansed of the undead long ago when military, law enforcement, and volunteer groups joined together in clearing the lands of zombies. For the most part, the state was safe with the exception of the occasional non-living stray that wandered in every now and then. Notably, the community was as safe as humanly possible. 

    Together, the survivors worked tirelessly to secure their new nation. After restoring living essentials, protection, security, and even education - the new citizens banded together to create a name for their new state.

    A name that would echo throughout the future generations.

-

    October 31, 3014,

    Present day and exactly five years since the first outbreak.

    The new state, Resurrection Order, had been fully developed. Civilization was slowly, but surely returning to the time before the outbreak. White picket fences complemented the freshly cut green lawns that children played upon. Young adults found love and heartbreak and those who were a bit older spent their days at newfound occupations. 

    Resurrection Order was quite similar to the pre-apocalyptic world the living had once known. The only notable differences being the 40 foot walls that barricaded the state and the obvious danger of the infected that lurked outside the haven. For the most part, however, life was good - too good.

    New life brings new disasters.

    Lurking in the shadows, a reborn evil awaited the civilians of Resurrection Order. The current question wasn't if the living were prepared, but rather: Does hope still live within their hearts?