At Palm Hills

Mutual Redamancy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

IT WAS JUST AROUND HALF AN HOUR AGO WHEN RENJUN STEPPED OUT OF A CAFÉ BY THE STREET AND ACCIDENTALLY CRASHED INTO SOME CUSTOMER PASSING BY THE NIGHTFALL OF THE DAY. To his embarrassment, it just had to be someone he knew, a young lad he had been meeting for the past month. Renjun was overly shocked that he tumbled off his clumsy feet, and let out a shriek, before getting caught by the other by the arm. Still, the croissant he got for himself toppled out of his hands and landed in a puddle, soaking the fresh pastry and white cardboard box in the morning rain.

Obviously, Renjun was upset. Even if it was the cheapest menu he could get in the small café, the male wasn’t planning to cook anything for himself later for dinner. Dad was on his shift since the afternoon, while Mom just got called into work to cover someone else’s spot. Renjun was used to it, and decided to study in the public library. He really wanted to ace his tests. The lad was excited when he finally was able to treat himself something nice from all the learning. Now his stomach was emptier than empty.

The person he bumped just had to be Zhong Chenle. Renjun clearly threw an angry pout and glared at the lad, cheeks all dusted pink while he crossed his arms because of the no space between them as Chenle held him. The younger apologised and wanted to make up for ruining Renjun’s supposed dinner.

“Have dinner at my place. You said both of your parents are out right? I’ll drive you home later.”

Now, the ginger haired male was sat in the vast living room of Chenle’s family house, or rather mansion. It seemed awkward that they walked to the huge gates in front, standing like tall soldiers covered in polished gold and accompanied by a guard of the Zhong family. The room he was in was rather too exquisite for someone like Renjun to be hogging in, the walls were a clean shade of white, while the room was assorted with four leathered couches that were decorated with fluffy, beaded pillows, made of what seemed like actual reptile skin. The see through table in the middle was beautifully embellished with a pot of delicate bouvardia and Dutch tulips, whereas a crystalized chandelier hang above it, lit up with candle like twinkling diamonds.

Just rubbing his feet on the extra soft rug under his foot made him feel worried if he had stained the lavish furniture. As well as the spiralling staircase that led to the floor above, the one Chenle left on to change his clothes, looked like the typical palaces in those classic peppy princess movies.

By the pot of well grown flowers, there stood a small picture. It was framed, with swirls that were carefully carved around, while the bottom had a writing written in Chinese. My happy family. In the photo, a beautiful women was trapped between a young lad’s hold who looked around the age of thirteen, as his other arm hugged a man. Renjun guessed it was Chenle’s parents. His father was a bright, stern looking man, his hand messing up his son’s hair. At the back, Renjun could see two other people, one was wearing a traditional maid dress while the male wore a neat black suit. Must be their maid and body guard. But overall, everyone in the frame looked as happy as any bright summer day, with a fond smile stitched on their faces. The lovely meadow where they took the photo at made it even more blissful, Renjun felt his heart grin.

“Excuse me dearie,” Croaked a voice, “Here’s your tea.”

Renjun turned his head to find a women. She was quite ancient, with her wrinkled face, eyes scrunching through the blinding light, holding a silver tray of a complete tea set. It was the women from the picture, just looking a tiny bit older. But she still had a striking smile painted on her rasped lips. She placed a small teacup, a teapot as well as a small bowl of sugar cubes on the transparent table and then looked at Renjun.

“You must be the young sir’s friend,” She said in a welcoming voice, “Glad to finally have someone else around. It’s a bit boring to have no visitors,”

The ginger male giggled, “Thank you so much, Miss,”

The antique lady shook her head, “Oh no, it’s my job! Drink it, a cup of green tea would warm you in this cold night. And please, just call me Ms. Yu or what Chenle calls me, Ma.” She prattled, jokingly smacking Renjun’s shoulder then quickly poured a cup of the drink and handing it to the lad.

Ms. Yu had asked Renjun a few question, which he answered them joyfully. She was very easy going, Renjun enjoyed it. Someone as ancient as her was still making jokes and babbling like a chatty twenty year old women, which made him feel as light as a feather, letting his tongue slip smoothly.

“Well, I better prepare dinner,” She said, still catching her breath from all the laughter, “The chicken should be done by now.”

Placing the cup down on the table, Renjun looked at the maid, “Let me help you! I usually help my mom in the kitchen.”

She had pinched her eyebrows together and gave Renjun a small differ, “Oh no, please! I bet the young sir wouldn’t want you to be in the kitchen. Just sit down and enjoy the tea.” She said, bowing and standing up in front of Renjun.

The lad flapped his hand, “Its fine! I don’t think Chenle wouldn’t mind me helping, rather than waiting for him alone on the couch.” He said, springing on to his feet.

Ms. Yu could no longer decline the senior student, who was now tailing her to the kitchen. It would be rude of her to block his path, and after all, Renjun insisted on giving her a helping hand in preparing dinner. She didn’t want him to become a waste on the chair either, the lady understood how boring and unbearable it would be to wait on the couch with nothing to do other than daydream. Putting on her bright green mittens, decorated with prints of apples, the maid pulled down the oven door and took out a pan of roasted chicken. It was cut into

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter