[S1] The Storm

My Partner

 

Winter is still here. The cold and dark weather makes all hope seem to die, and the situation in BLACKPINK’s dorm makes the sheer cold of winter wind more and more painful. The petite girl with a heart-shaped lips is now a harbinger of gloomy mood when she walks or passes by the three other girls, and yes, THREE other girls. For if the girl with fluffy cheeks is absent, the weather is less cold, at least a bit warmer.

The former best friends, are now the center of the storm that is happening inside their dormitory. Jisoo is the initiator, Jennie is the catalyst. And trapped inside the storm, are Rose and Lisa.

The two maknaes are still able to casually enjoy their innocent life. It’s not that they don’t care about the condition of the unnie line. But as maknae lines, they feel that it’s not their problem and they don’t have the authority to address and try to solve the problem. Then again, both of them are scared of Jisoo and Jennie in a way. So both of them are holding in their frustration and anger regarding the problem.

 

Until one day, Lisa came back from her daily secret photo hunting, wearing a hoodie, glasses, and mask to cover her face even though her eyes are too distinctive to cover up. Lisa enters the dorm and find something that set her off.

As she stepped into the living room, she finds Rose crying. Rose’s eyes are red, her face are swollen, her tears had dried and made a trail down her cheeks. Rose is sniffing hard like a fragile child she actually is. Lisa quickly approached Rose and embrace her.

“What happened?”, Lisa asked with a worried face.

Rose just stay silent and sniffing real hard. She breaks into tears again and started covering her face. Lisa with almost brute force removed Rose’s hand to reveal her face.

“What happened?”, Lisa asked again, but Rose still not answering.

 

A door opened. It was Jisoo’s room door. Lisa caught a glimpse of Jisoo peeking through the gap at her door before she closes the door again. Rose also reacted to Jisoo, and start lowering her sniffing voice. Lisa noticed Rose’s reaction to Jisoo, and firmly walks toward Jisoo’s room as Rose tried to hold Lisa down.

“Lisa don-“, said Rose before she choked.

Lisa walks and passes by Jennie’s room who is absent as she has a Yoga training schedule. Lisa knocks on Jisoo’s door.

No answer.

“I’m opening the door, Unnie”, said Lisa politely.

 

Lisa opens the door and see Jisoo laying on her bed closing her eyes. Dalgom is sleeping just beside Jisoo’s bed. Lisa waits patiently for she knows well that Jisoo is just faking. Slowly, Jisoo opened her eyes and look at Lisa before facing away from her. The two of them are silent, but Rose’s sniffing voice can be heard faintly.

“What?”, Jisoo asked.

“Did something happen?”, asked Lisa.

“Not really”, said Jisoo.

“Unnie”, said Lisa.

Jisoo is silent.

“What is it?”, said Jisoo while looking at Lisa with annoyed face.

“Did something happened?”, Lisa said firmly.

“And what did I say?”, said Jisoo.

Lisa is holding her ground. Jisoo faced away once again.

“Close the door”, said Jisoo.

A long pause, Rose’s sniffing is becoming more stable and quiet.

“I SAID CLOSE THE DO-“

“WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?”, Lisa screams her lungs out, her voice could be heard from outside of their dorm. Rose and Jisoo fell silent, Dalgom wakes up. Rose slowly walks towards Lisa and tries to hold Lisa’s anger down but Lisa had lost her temper as she intrudes Jisoo’s room with firm steps.

“CLOSE THE DO-”

“ANSWER ME!”, Lisa cuts Jisoo before she was able to finish her sentence. Dalgom started to bark at Lisa. Lisa now an inch away from Jisoo’s bed, her eyes glaring while she grinds her teeth. Jisoo on the other side, look at Lisa with empty cold eyes and relatively calm manner. Both of them staring at each other with hostility.

“You want to fight?”, said Jisoo to Lisa.

“Oh, I’m game. Don’t blame me if you have to do plastic surgery.”, said Lisa cockily.

“Don’t blame me if you die”, answered Jisoo.

Rose breaks down and cry again, this time harder because her heart broke as she see her two person that she loves are fighting with each other.

“Stop…., please stop…”, said Rose as she cries and her pronunciation becomes more and more blurry. Lisa quickly embraced Rose and walks out of Jisoo’s room, still glaring at Jisoo. Guilt can be seen faintly appeared on Jisoo’s face as Rose’s crying become harder and harder.

“Close the do-“

Lisa kicks Jisoo’s door really hard before Jisoo could finish her sentence. Jisoo was slightly astonished by the sound of the slammed door. Dalgom barks and then goes to Jisoo and starts brushing his small body at her feet.

“I QUIT! BLACKPINK IS OVER!”, Jisoo screams. Lisa feels a sudden crack in her heart as she heard the words came out of her beloved Unnie’s mouth.

Jisoo picks an alarm clock off her small table and throws it onto the wall. Jisoo realized that she just said something horrible. She broke down and laid on the bed, like a dead body. The alarm clock broke, and a crack appeared on her room’s wall as if the house’s heart is broken for it just witnessed a fight between the sisters, for the first time in its life.

 

 

In Lisa’s room, Rose and Lisa are lying on the bed, Rose’s face is burrowed in Lisa’s chest as Lisa smothers Rose who is still sniffing. Lisa’s face emanates a sad aura, as she stares thoughtfully at the group photo the four of them had taken in Jeju. Tears well up in Lisa’s doe eyes, but she quickly wipes her eyes.

“Chaeyoung”, said Lisa with a gentle husky voice. Rose is not answering.

“What happened?”, Lisa continued.

No answer from Rose as she continues to cry.

“Chaeyoung…”, Lisa gazes at Rose’s swollen face.

“I can’t help if you don’t tell me anything…”, Lisa said as she caresses the crying girl’s hair.

Rose tries to control her sniffing and finally finds her voice. Lisa patiently waits.

“It was m-my fault…”, Rose answered stutteringly.

“Hmm?”, Lisa responded gently.

“I-I thought I’d console Jisoo-unnie by buying the Japanese puddings that she likes a lot, and secretly putting it in her room”, Rose continues.

“Uhm? Did you go to Japan?”, said Lisa jokingly.

“No stupid, like just yesterday I took a photo of you didn’t i?”, She anwered still crying and sniffing a little.

“Where did you buy it?”, Lisa keeps baiting with rhetoric jokes.

“Amazon…”, Rose answers while still crying like a whiny child. Lisa laughs her .

“Why are you laughing?”, Rose said while pouting and sniffing.

“Amazon…”, Lisa said while laughing whole-heartedly.

Rose punches Lisa while crying and little by little a smile can be seen on Rose’s face and she too finally breaks into laughter.

“Ya… I’m serious tho”, Rose said while wiping her tears.

“Okay…, I’m sorry… then?”, Lisa said while letting one last laugh from her lungs.

“Then I tried to secretly put the puddings on top of Jisoo-unnie’s table, but then…”, Lisa is listening to Rose’s story.

“On the table is Jisoo-unnie’s laptop. And I saw that she is writing a story… or a book on her laptop.”, Rose answered, and Lisa slowly closes her eyes.

“I know where this is going…, I think…, It’s your fault Chaeng”, Lisa said with a gentle, firm voice.

“I know…”, Chaeng looks down while pouting, Lisa caresses her hair while mouthing ‘it’s okay’, and plays with Rose’s cheek.

“But on the other side, I don’t know why she’s so mad over a story. I mean a story is meant to be read right?”, said Lisa.

Rose looks at Lisa then she fidgets.

“I think…, I know why.”, Rose said.

“Hmm? Tell me then…”, said Lisa.

“But, I don’t think it’s a good thing to do”, answered Rose.

“Tell me.”, said Lisa.

“…Or I’ll prank you…, with something that I buy from Amazon”, Lisa smiles and laughs a little.

“Tell me… does it have any connection with the story?”, said Lisa gently.

Rose nodded, and started talking about the story which Jisoo wrote…

 

 

The fluffy cheeks just came from her Yoga training and will have a romantic dinner with her boyfriend when night comes. She opens the dorm’s door and walks into the living room and finds Lisa watching television.

“Yo”, Jennie greets Lisa.

Lisa looks at Jennie, and she looks like she’s unsure of something. Jennie notices Lisa’s weird behavior.

“What is it?”, Jennie asked.

“Where do you want to go after this, Unnie?”, Lisa asked Jennie hesitantly.

 “You know…”, Jennie answers while insecurely looks at Jisoo’s room

“Can we talk? For a little while?”, said Lisa.

“Yeah… but in no time Kai will…”

“Please”, said Lisa with a firm voice.

Jennie looks at Lisa with a serious face.

“Let’s go outside”, said Lisa.

Then the two of them went outside and sits in the small garden in front of their house, isolated from both Rose and Jisoo.

“Unnie…”, Lisa started the conversation.

Jennie raises her brows in respond to Lisa.

“I know I said that time will fix your relationship with Jisoo-unnie…, but…”, Lisa pauses slightly.

Jennie looked down.

“I think both of you have to talk about it.”, Lisa said with a serious friendly look straight into Jennie’s eyes.

Lisa actually has known all of the informations about Jennie and Jisoo’s problem from the experience that Rose had with Jisoo. But she hesitates to speak about the truth, for it may lead to something worse. But she planned to end this meeting with a comment about the story that Jisoo wrote and tell it to Jennie straight in the face.

“Yeah, I know…, but…,”, Jennie looks stressed out.

“It’s hard… no offense but, you don’t know the whole problem”, said Jennie to Lisa.

An impulse to say ‘I know everything’ flashes in Lisa’s mind, but she held it in.

“It’s just I don’t know what to say to her, Lili”, Jennie continues.

Lisa wanted to tell Jennie about Jisoo’s story really hard but she can’t find her courage to say and finish her job like she intended to. Instead, what came out of was:

“Can you pretend like you broke up with Kai? Or for real…, just break up with him?”, Lisa said unknowingly.

“How could you say that…”, Jennie answered, she looks surprised.

“Sorry…”, Lisa answered, looking down. Jennie took a deep breath, and returned to behave calm.

“I understand your feelings. I will find a way, Lisa”, Jennie answered.

Lisa nodded. But deep in Lisa’s heart she is insecure as knowing from Jisoo’s story, it may or may not be an urgent situation where there is no time to waste.

 

 

Jennie had gone with Kai, and Lisa is now alone in the living room, pretending to watch television. Thoughts ran inside Lisa’s mind about what Rose told about Jisoo’s story:

 

It’s a story about a forbidden love between two girls. The girl named Sooyoung tries to act normally and try to be the innocent girl Jiyoung’s  best friend. Sooyoung always protect Jiyoung whenever there’s danger. And she also always gave Jiyoung her favorite food. She always makes Jiyoung smile when she was sad. Sooyoung is always there for Jiyoung…, The ending was…

The ending is…, Jiyoung marries another man and lives happily, Sooyoung is also happy for Jiyoung…, but deep down, depression struck Sooyoung and in the end… she ended her life for she can’t stand the pain. For deep inside she was always alone…”

 

Lisa had connected the dots and realized the truth behind the story. She is scared of Jisoo, and also angry. She’s stressed out that her beloved group might disband because of the problem, she’s stressed because she might lose the unnie she loves the most. She felt sorry for Jisoo.

Lisa broke and cried silently. Alone in the living room.