[S1] Winter Child

My Partner

*THIS IS TOLD FROM THIRD PERSON PERSPECTIVE.*

 

The girl with the fluffy cheeks is looking outside the window, eagerly waiting with baby-doll eyes. The sky is already pitch-black and the weather outside is quite windy as seen from the waving trees and flying white flakes of ice. The girl mutters to herself and praying so it won’t be snowing as it is a special day for her and her new boyfriend. They want to go out on a date.

Behind her, there are two more girls smiling as they look at their cute Unnie behaving like a lovestruck middle-schooler. The crackhead Thai girl laughed without making a voice, and the other girl also laughed like a chipmunk. Then the two of them stopped themselves when their Unnie suddenly looked at them.

“So, where do you go tonight, Jennie-unnie?”, said the Thai girl.

“Lisa, is not your business, it’s not our busi-“

“Shut up, Rochaeng”, Lisa cut Rose before she even finished talking.

“Actually…”, Jennie is lost in her thought.

“We haven’t decided where to go, yet”, said Jennie.

“Oh….”, Lisa answered.

The two maknaes then teased their Unnies and told her to go to a hotel or some private place. Jennie’s face turned red, and she looked playfully angry. The three laughs together and melts the cold weather.

But, the weather is dark and cold in the other place not far from the living room. Different from the other girls, the girl with a heart-shaped lip looks sulky and is laying on her bed staring blankly to the ceiling. She then picked up her handphone and started playing games. When she almost surpassed her recent high score, suddenly a chat popped up.

“Yo, Jisoo”,

From Kai.

 

Kai          : Yo

Jisoo      : How do you know my account.

Kai          : Duh. haha

Jisoo      : What is it? Can I help you?

Kai          : I’m outside.

Jisoo      : Yea?

Jisoo      : And?

Jisoo      : Can’t you just ask your gf to open the door?

Kai          : No, actually

Kai          : Actually I need some advice from you haha

Jisoo      : What kind of

Jisoo      : Advice?

Kai          : Come out here

Jisoo      : Can’t you just chat?

Kai          : I can

Kai          : But it’ll be faster if we talk, and I’m freezing over here.

Kai          : (sad face emoji)

 

Jisoo put down her phone. She put on her black hoodie and mask, also extra training pants to deal with the sneeringly cold weather. The thick and fluffy girl walks out of her room.

When she opened the door, the three other girls looked at her, but their expressions changed and are quite gloomy, different than before. Jisoo raises her brows to greet the girls then walked towards the front door without caring about the attention.

“Where do you want to go, Unnie?”, asked Rose.

“Outside”, Jisoo said it flat.

“Have you tell our manager?”, said Lisa.

“No, I’m just going to go outside for a little while”, answered Jisoo as her voice fades away from the living room and the three girls can hear the sound of the front door opened and closed. Jennie blankly stared and looks down. She couldn’t say anything to Jisoo. She sighed deeply.

 

Jisoo walks outside and looked for any trace of Kai. Then suddenly a voice calls to her,

“Psst”, said Kai.

“Oh…”, Jisoo looks towards Kai and slowly approaches him while looking at the living room window.

The two of them bowed to each other and fell silent for a little while.

“Quick, it’s freezing”, said Jisoo with a smile that is arguably fake.

“Oh, okay, actually…”, Kai started to whispers and the voice fades and blends into the cold winter wind.

 

Inside the living room, The fluffy cheeks look sad. And the other two girls try to console their Unnie.

“Don’t worry, unnie”, said the Australian in English.

“She’d understand, as you know, she is practical and logical, so I think she being mad at you is normal”, continued Rose.

“She probably thinking about our career, which is normal. But I believe that everything happened for a reason”, said Lisa.

Jennie looked down and show a bitter smile as if wanting to tell the maknaes that there’s much more than meets the eye. She wanted to tell that it’s not only about business, it’s mainly about feelings. But Jennie deleted the thoughts and showed the maknaes a beautiful gummy smile.

“Yeah, I guess you’re ri-“

The door opens and Jisoo walks inside, and towards her room without looking at the other girls. The other three girls are looking at their eldest with gloomy faces, with Jennie’s expression being the gloomiest among the trio.

Jisoo stops at her room’s door.

“Oh yeah, your bf is outside”, Jisoo said without saying Jennie’s name nor looked at Jennie’s face. Jisoo proceeds to open her room’s door and walked inside. Jennie nodded.

“I guess I’ll go then”, said Jennie to the maknaes.

The maknaes said bye-bye and wish her good luck.

 

The two maknaes gazed at the weirdly gloomy door of Jisoo’s room. They have lived together for a long time so they can feel what their eldest’s feeling even if there’s a door in the way between them and their beloved Unnie. Lisa sighed deeply and embraced Rose as they walk to Rose’s room. Lisa laid on Rose’s bed. The two of them lost in thoughts.

“What can we do, huh?”, said Lisa while exhaling deeply.

“Um”, Rose shook her head.

"It's the first time I see Jisoo-unnie act like this. She's really cold to Jennie", said Lisa.

"Hmm", Rose thinks.

Suddenly someone knocked on the door. Rose suddenly rose from the bed. The door opens, and Jisoo is standing outside with complete outfit. She wears her beanie, a mask, a black hoodie, shorts with long black socks, and a Nike shoes. The maknaes are confused. Lisa couldn’t hold her laughter and she cracks.

“You want to go to training?”, said Lisa while laughing.

Jisoo laughed a little to humor the maknaes.

“I’m going outside for a while, maybe buying books or some sort…”, Jisoo said hesitantly.

The maknaes can only nod as they are quite confused seeing Jisoo like that, while still laughing.

“With manager-oppa?”, asked Rose.

“Alone”, answered Jisoo.

They fell silent, while Lisa’s laughter still lingers.

“Um, do you guys want anything?...um, I can buy you on my way back.”, asked Jisoo.

“Snacks maybe, Avocado for Rosie”, said Lisa.

“What do you mean”, Rose laughs.

“Okay then, snacks…”, Jisoo nods and closes the door.

“Be careful, Unnie”, said Rose.

“Um”, Jisoo answers from behind the door.

Jisoo’s footsteps can be heard fading away from that Rose’s room. Lisa and Rose look at each other.

 

 

Somewhere at a hill overlooking the town. Kai parked his car without turning off the radio, it was playing some romantic Korean ballad song. Jennie and Kai got out of the car and walk together, the two couple is walking side by side while warmly held each other’s hands. Jennie looked at a lonely bench at the top of the hill and amazed.

“Wow, this is the place that I actually wanted to go”, said Jennie.

“Really?”, said Kai while smiling.

“Yeah, I once walked down there with Ji—um, I walked down there and looked at this bench and wondered where could this place be”, said Jennie with a smile, but contradictory with her smile, her eyes somehow expressing feelings of sadness, Maybe because a certain someone popped out in her mind and she was reminded of the problem they’re having right now.

Kai looked at Jennie, fully understanding the problem between Jisoo and Jennie. Kai patted Jennie’s head, and Jennie smiled.

“How do you know this place?”, asked Jennie.

 “Fate, I guess”, Kai joked.

“What the heck is that”, Jennie laughed and showed her gummy smile. Kai looks at Jennie with eyes full of blazing love, as Jennie looks into the sky and closes her eyes. For a brief moment, Jennie felt the aura of certain someone that makes her smile while looking at the sky. The car radio now plays Winter Child and it caught Jennie’s attention. Kai looked at Jennie than the car radio.

“Why, because you’re Winter Child?”, said Kai.

"Don't you think it's weird?", asked Jennie.

"What? The song?", Kai responded.

Jennie nodded. 

"No, I think it's a good song", Kai answered.

"I mean that this song is talking about winter...", Kai listens as Jennie hesitantly continues her words.

"...I mean a story of a child that is born in Winter. And somehow the whole song becomes warm, even though it's talking about winter", Jennie continued.

"Oh, you mean that...", Kai smiles.

"I think that's what makes the song warmer..., the contradiction of cold weather and a warm story", Kai finishes his sentence.

Jennie smiled happily but at the same time, bitterly.

“Actually there’s another place I wanted to go, but I guess for NOW we can’t go there”, said Jennie.

“Oh yeah? Where?”, Kai asks.

 

 

A petite figure wearing beanie, masks and all black outfit skates along the public outdoor ice skating rink. The girl skates with an awkward but stable form, skates along the crowded but somewhat quaint place.

The girl sat down on a bench and removed her mask to breathe. The girl is trying to catch her breath, her heart-shaped lip protruded to make a cute pout as steam comes out from her small mouth. Then suddenly, a white snowflake dropped. Jisoo looks up to the sky. It has started snowing.

Jisoo gazes at the pitch black sky as her right hand touching the surface of the vacant side of the bench.

The snow keeps falling, and it was a long, long night.