[S2] The Wind Roars

My Partner

Jennie was inside Kai’s car as they rushed through the night. Darkness and the streetlights shift between each other to hide and reveal the faces of those inside of the car. Jennie’s face looked pretty anxious and pale, even sweat started to came out of her neck, cold sweat. Kai looked very worried as he saw the condition of her girlfriend.

“What was it?”, Kai asked Jennie out of concern.

Jennie looked at Kai and pretended as if there was nothing wrong, and she failed horribly.

“No, nothing”, said Jennie with a pale face.

“Yeah, right”, Kai responded with a bit annoyance.

“I mean look at your face, Jen.”

Jennie looked down and then acted as if it was from her motion sickness.

“No, it’s motion sickness”, Jennie answered, smiling faintly.

Kai looked at Jennie, he knew that she lied about something. Kai got annoyed and ground his teeth.

“What?”, Jennie asked Kai.

“Nothing.”, Kai focused on the road.

Jennie got annoyed too and look away outside the window. Her heart was beating so fast for there was a vile and bad feeling nesting inside of her mind at that moment. It was almost a traumatic fear. Kai peeked at Jennie and sighed deeply out of anger.

“You know, I’m your boyfriend, and I can keep secrets”, Kai said with an annoyed face.

Jennie just kept silent and looked at the passing cars on the highway.

“It’s nothing important”, said Jennie breaking the momentary silence.

“Yeah, not so important that it disrupted our date”, Kai said angrily.

Jennie looked at Kai with an angry glare, she breathed deeply and then played with her phone.

“It’s nothing important, okay?”, said Jennie.

“Then tell me.”, Kai answered with a firm voice.

“You said it’s okay if I don’t want to talk?”, said Jennie.

Kai was silent, he looked very angry. His face became red and his jawline became tense.

“Yeah, but I feel like I’m just your driver or something. Not your boyfriend”, said Kai

Jennie looked at disbelief and was mad at Kai real bad. She was silent and put on her earphones, which made Kai a lot angrier that he stuck his feet into that pedal which made the car jerk for it accelerated too fast.

Jennie just breathed deeply and ignored Kai. The car arrived at the girls’ dorm, but Kai didn’t open the door lock just yet.

“At least tell me who was it”, Kai said to Jennie.

“It was Jiyoon-unnie”, Jennie said without looking at Kai and tried to open the locked door.

Kai then opened the lock and Jennie quickly jolted out of the car and closed the door with a slam. Kai looked sad and sighed deeply.

 

 

Jennie entered the room and took off her shoes and coat really quickly. She then walked to Jisoo’s room and Jennie looked kinda mad. Her face was not pale no more. She knocked hard on Jisoo’s door.

“Unnie?”, said Jennie with a voice loud enough for Lisa and Rosé to hear it from their own rooms.

Jennie knocked again.

Lisa and Rosé came out of their rooms to see what was actually happening. They approached Jennie.

“What is it?”, Lisa asked.

Jennie ignored Lisa, then Jisoo’s door was opened. There stood Jisoo with messy bed-hair and bed-face looking bewildered when she saw the three of the girls outside of her room.

“What?”, asked Jisoo.

Jennie intruded Jisoo’s room, and Jisoo looked confused, cause half of her soul was still in the dream world. Jisoo then walked and lay on her bed again. Lisa and Rosé hesitantly entered Jisoo’s room and sat on the floor near the door.

“Unnie, Dalgom isn’t back, yet?”, Rosé asked.

“Hm.”, Jisoo grunted. Rosé was taken aback by the response.

And then the four girls went silent and the atmosphere changed.

“I think it was weird”, Jennie began.

Lisa and Rosé were listening carefully. Jisoo closed her eyes on her bed and looked unbothered.

“It was too fast”, Jennie continued.

“You still have to go to the psychiatrist”, Jennie continued and it caught Jisoo’s attention, but she still acted like she was sleeping.

“But you didn’t”, Jennie finished, and she looked angry. Jisoo didn’t respond. Lisa and Rosé were a bit surprised after hearing Jennie’s declaration.

“Who said that?”, Jisoo slowly opened her eyes.

“Jiyoon-unnie”, said Jennie. Lisa was a bit hurt knowing that Jisoo’s sister trusts Jennie the most among the members.

“That old hag…”, Jisoo murmured. Jennie was a bit angry hearing Jisoo insulted her own sister who cares about her.

“She’s worried you know.”, said Jennie. Jisoo ignored Jennie.

“Unnie.”, Jennie angrily called Jisoo.

Still ignored.

“Unnie, you have to go to the psychiatrist”, said Jennie. Lisa and Rosé just watched cause they didn’t know the full story. Lisa was a bit frustrated while Rosé was scared that this might lead to another problem.

“Unnie.”, Jennie said with an intimidating tone.

“Ok.”, Jisoo answered shortly.

“Promise?”, Jennie had to make sure.

Jisoo didn’t answer. Jennie was annoyed.

“Unnie.”, Jennie called once again, but Jisoo didn’t answer.

“I will stand here until you promise me to go to the psychiatrist”, said Jennie.

“I promise.”, Jisoo answered. Jennie still wasn’t sure.

“Really?”, Jennie just HAD to make sure.

“What do you want? Huh?”, Jisoo rose from the bed angrily.

“It’s my FREEDOM to go to psychiatrist or not. Not your business nor your problem.”, Jisoo said it with a prickly tone and glaring eyes.

“It IS my problem”, Jennie said it loudly.

“No it IS NOT! GET OUT!”, Jisoo’s face was almost unrecognizable and the girls were silent out of fear.

“Unnie…”, said Lisa hesitantly.

“Don’t start, Lisa”, Jisoo glared at Lisa. Lisa was scared and then fell silent. Rosé’s face looked very serious and it’s almost not like her to look like that.

“You guys have better things to do than doing something useless like this, get out.”, Jisoo laid on her face, she didn’t want to see the faces of the girls. Jisoo too was afraid of this side of her that is very angry and fierce, if she didn’t have any sanity left on her, God only knows what would have happened to Jennie.

“No, I won’t go”, Jennie said trembling.

“Unnie we should leave her alone”, said Lisa as she grabbed Jennie’s arm.

“That’s right, just go”, Jisoo agreed.

Jennie yanked her arm out of Lisa’s hand.

“No.”, Jennie said.

Jisoo took a deep breath.

“Go, or I swear to God…, I will ing punch you in the face…, I swear to god”, Jisoo said angrily. Jennie’s heart was broken when she heard Jisoo say that kind of thing to her. It was the first time ever she heard that kind of words came out of her beloved unnie’s mouth. Lisa and Rosé were scared. Jennie started to cry as Lisa tried once again to bring Jennie out of the room. But before that Jennie quickly grabbed everything that might be harmful or can be used as a weapon from Jisoo’s room. Jisoo couldn’t see what Jennie was doing because of her lying position. She could hear what Jennie was doing but she didn’t care.

Jennie, Lisa, and Rosé then walked out of the room and closed the door. Jisoo stayed in that position even though the position was not comfortable for her to breathe. She just lied there like a dead body.

She thought of the horror of going to the psychiatrist’s office. Well, it’s not actually horror but Jisoo was scared to go to the psychiatrist for a reason she chose not to tell anybody even her sister. She actually told the psychiatrist to give her some space before she could start the treatment again. And the psychiatrist agreed for it was not an unusual thing to do.

Jisoo was still in a state of depression. She was always had overly-pessimistic thoughts in her mind, it was some sort of defense mechanism against rejection and disappointment she had once experienced before. She began to see the world in a nihilistic view, and often think of killing herself.

But even if she didn’t notice about it, there was still a tiny speck of hope inside Jisoo’s pitch-black heart. And to that hope, her body and mind unconsciously clinging for life, to not hastily jump into death.

“Unnie, I’m sorry. But you have to go to the psychiatrist.”, said Jennie from outside the door while knocking gently on the door. Jisoo didn’t respond.

That night, Jisoo tried to sleep but couldn’t get her body to do it. It was already 5am and the birds were already chirping as the first light started to appear in the far horizon, and Jisoo was still rolling side-to-side on her bed, anxious.  

She felt thirsty and rose to get some water to ease the drought that was in . She walked dizzily towards the door and opened it.

As she opened the door…

Life, hope, love, and everything good came jumping out of the black box inside of her heart where she once forcibly kept them inside. The feeling was so overwhelming that she had goosebumps after she saw it.

In front of Jisoo’s door, Jennie was sitting on the floor sleeping while leaning on the narrow wall, with a thin blanket covering her shoulder and some of her lower body. Her sleeping face looked very anxious, her face looked very tired. A cute snoring sound came out from her.

At first, Jisoo was a bit annoyed to see her like that, but when she looked at Jennie’s tired face, she just couldn’t hate her for any reason. She had always not been able to hate her for anything. She tried to, but deep inside, she couldn’t.

Jisoo approached Jennie.

“Jen”

Jennie was in a deep sleep.

“Jendeuk.”

Jennie opened her eyes and then clinged to Jisoo’s hand.

“Don’t make me sad, Unnie…, please?”, said Jennie with her eyes closed and whiny voice.

Jisoo caressed Jennie’s hair, full of love and pity.

“I’ll go to the psychiatrist…, so now go to your bed.”, Jisoo said with her gentle husky voice.

Jennie was silent.

“Can I go to your room instead?”, Jennie asked Jisoo while still clinging her arms.

Jisoo let out a tiny smile, and she nodded slowly.

Jisoo and Jennie didn’t notice, there were two other girls that was too anxious to sleep. And they were peeking out of the door. One girl looked happy, and one girl frowned. The happy girl then felt a sudden melancholy, and on the other side, the frowning girl felt raging jealousy inside of her heart.

 

Meanwhile, Jennie’s phone was vibrating in her room. There was a phone call…

 

And the screen says, “Boyfriend”.

 

The wind roared up really hard that day. And one would say that it was a sign of a big storm closing in.