910 High School/Best Friends AU

Variety Pack

Their first date was at the arcade.

At first, Kyla thought it was just going to feel like another one of their hangouts--back when they were still just friends. Except today, Siyeon paid for Kyla's entrance fee. And for both of their game tokens. Kyla tried to at least pay for the pizza and sodas they shared--and frowned when Siyeon wouldn't let her.

''I'm the one that asked you out, I'm the one that suggested the arcade, so I'm the one that gets to treat you.'' Siyeon sounds much too smug for someone that just willingly paid for pizza with too much grease and not enough sauce. But Kyla finds it sort of charming. How Siyeon is so committed to make this a date.

Kyla rolls her eyes and shakes her head. And hopes that Siyeon can't see the tiny closed-lipped smile on Kyla's face. The one that shows she's actually enjoying Siyeon's gentlewoman act. (Siyeon does in fact notice this, but she doesn't tell Kyla that).

''Fine,'' Kyla sighs. ''But next time, I get to pay for everything.'' The words flow out of quicker than her brain could process them. Kyla's eyes widen and the realization suddenly hits her: she's already implying that there will be a second date.

Siyeon quirks an eyebrow. ''Let's at least get through this first date before planning anything else.'' She leans forward in her chair in a way that looks more awkward than seductive (and also almost knocks down her cola but Kyla snatches the glass away in time). ''I'm not that easy, Kyla.'' She gives her a cheesy wink (which to everyone else, looks like pained blinking) and laughs.

Kyla doesn't mention how Siyeon's cheeks are now the faintest shade of pink. But it's prettier than any blush she's ever seen Siyeon wear. She briefly wonders if she'd be able to recreate that color the next time she paints. Even though nothing about Siyeon can be replicated. 

It doesn't really feel like a date. At least, that's what Kyla thinks. They play air hockey and Siyeon loses three out of the four games. And Kyla wins just as many games in basketball shoot-outs. Siyeon beats Kyla in too many matches of Street Fighter and annihilates Kyla in those zombie survival shooter games. (Kyla's not really good in any video game besides Mario Kart). Kyla never wins any of the race car games but Siyeon gets dead last everytime because she always ends up crashing into a tree or veering off a cliff. So, nothing new here. 

it also sort of feels like a date, though? Kyla's not really sure. She complimented Siyeon's pink bomber jacket back when they were eating--apparently Siyeon got it at some vintage store last weekend; the jacket's older than both of them. But later when Kyla shivered a bit from the too-intense AC, Siyeon immediately took her jacket off and draped it over Kyla's shoulders. Kyla eventually gave it back though--only after holding Siyeon's hands as they walked around didn't make the goosebumps on Siyeon's arms disappear. Despite Siyeon promising that she didn't feel cold at all. That's date behavior, right?

It takes a few hours, but they eventually use up all their game tokens and are ready to trade in their bundles of tickets for prizes. 

For once, Siyeon doesn't need help deciding on a prize. She knows exactly what she wants as soon as they approach the prize counter.

''The white tiger, please?'' Siyeon points at the plushie in question on one of the shelves. Starts placing her handful of tickets on the countertop to be counted.

There's a little placard right in front of the stuffie that indicates the ticket value it's worth. Kyla's (naturally thick and beauitful) eyebrows raise at the amount. ''But you don't have enough tickets for that, though.''

(Siyeon's won around one-hundred fifty tickets today, but she's gonna need at least five hundred more if she wants the tiger that bad). 

Siyeon looks over at Kyla and gives her a smirk. Kyla knows that smirk. That smirk means Kyla reacted exactly the way Siyeon predicted and planned accordingly. ''I came with receipts.''

And then Siyeon proceeds to her bag. Retrieves an actual printed receipt. (Well, Kyla wasn't expecting that). Waves it in Kyla's face as if it were a winning lottery ticket and slams it on the countertop--loud enough that the cashier frowns at her exuberance. 

Kyla glances down at the slip of paper. ''Who bothers saving up six hundred and forty seven tickets?''

''Me. Park Siyeon.'' Siyeon tilts her chin up at Kyla (in case Kyla forgot her name or something). ''But Jungseo and Jungsoo helped.''

''You somehow convinced your little sisters to give you all their tickets for a prize you're only getting for yourself?''

Siyeon doesn't answer right away. The cashier finishes up reeling in the tickets. Gets on a step ladder to retrieve Siyeon's precious plushie and hands it to her. Siyeon thanks him with that charming smile of her's and Kyla thinks the boy stares back at Siyeon a touch too long.  

''Actually,'' Siyeon's holding up the stuffie to her face. And then stretches her arms out, as if she wants Kyla to address the animal directly. ''They agreed to help when I told them that I wanted to get the white tiger for you.'' 

Wait. ''What?'' Kyla doesn't even like tigers. She's always been more of a dolphin gal. If she had to choose a big cat, she's more partial to the lion or the leopard. Kyla doesn't think she's ever expressed any desire for this particular toy. 

Siyeon slightly lowers the tiger, her eyes are lowered as well--focused on the carpeted floor. ''Um, I know how much you like watching the Olympics and the Winter Olympics this year's in Pyeongchang and one of the mascots is a little white tiger and it's really cute and you said it was cute when it first got revealed but they're already sold out online and like in every store and so, I thought that this might be the next best thing?'' 

Kyla blinks a few times. Gently takes the tiger from Siyeon's hands. Cradles it in her arms and hugs it close to her chest. (Maybe even closed her eyes and smile with her lips only because Siyeon once told her that she looks pretty like that. Like a sleeping doll). She opens her eyes and Siyeon's staring back at her--fiddling with her jacket sleeves. Probably to stop herself from biting her nails. Kyla squats down--just a little--so she can see Siyeon at eye-level and see Siyeon scowl at Kyla's tallness. ''I love it. Thank you. It's adorable.'' 

Siyeon's shoulders visibly lower. Her lips stretch into a sheepish grin. ''You're welcome.''

Kyla smiles and then wrinkles her nose at the cheesiness of this situation.''If I knew we'd be getting prizes for each other, I would've tried getting a lot more tickets than this,'' She gestures to the measly bundle of tickets clutched in her fist. This is actually the most she's ever won in one trip. And that was mostly because they were extra competitive in skee-ball today. She's not even close to winning one of those plushies. 

''It doesn't matter what you actually get, as long as I know you got it for me.'' Siyeon smiles. ''Here, I'll even turn away so you won't think I'm watching you choose.'' She proceeds to do exactly that. Spins on her heel to face away from the prize corner. Squeezes her eyes shut and covers her ears with her hands. ''Better?''

(Yes). ''Sure.'' 

Kyla's indecisive so she ended up picking out a handful of things. A keychain with a teddy bear charm, a smiley-face pin, a green plastic dinosaur that's about the size of her thumb, and a cheap orange kazoo just for kicks. 

She pokes Siyeon's cheek and wordlessly hands over the bag of knick-knacks. And the care that Siyeon takes into looking at each prize--as if they were rare treasures, was enough for Kyla to know Siyeon wasn't lying. Kyla could've given Siyeon a literal bag of trash and Siyeon would've treasured it all the same because Kyla gave it to her. 

''I'll find a use for all of these,'' Siyeon promises. 

And Kyla knows Siyeon really means it.

---

Siyeon attaches the keychain to her bag, sticks the pin onto her jacket, and keeps the kazoo because it makes Kyla laugh. She will spend a lot of time telling Kyla she's, ''gonna serenade her'' and then does a rendition of the Baby Shark Song on her kazoo. Siyeon proudly displays the dinosaur on the shelf in her bedroom next to her One Piece action figures and calls it Tiny because she can't think of any better names.

Kyla names the tiger Snowball and has him perched on her bookcase in her bedroom. She pats his head every time she enters and leaves her bedroom.

They also go on many more dates. Actual dates.