Insults

Watching Baekhyun's office

I'm so, so sorry for having been away for so long! ;; I hope that my updates will be more frequent again and I want to thank you for sticking around if you read this! <3

--

“Chanyeol?” Baekhyun starts, giving off nervous vibes while he skits around the apartment. The hybrid pokes his head out from the bedroom, still busy getting dressed and showing more skin than usual. Baekhyun stops in his tracks immediately, alarming Chanyeol, but before he can ask any questions, his owner recomposes himself and continues talking. “Sorry I didn’t know you weren’t finished yet. When you’re done, could you help me carry your chair? We need to take it to the car, I can’t do it by myself,” Baekhyun says, using way more words than he really has to and Chanyeol is a little confused by it.

He also notices Baekhyun’s quickening heartbeat, his straying eyes. And all that’s on Chanyeol’s mind, is what is wrong? Why does his owner seem so distracted? Why does he ramble about a chair – hadn’t they already agreed that they’d carry the comfy seat together? Worried as he is, Chanyeol approaches Baekhyun, trying to use his senses to the fullest to figure out what’s wrong. His owner, however, shies away a little, holding up his hands, but making sure they don’t make contact with Chanyeol’s bare chest.

“Am I… am I sick? Do you think I’ll make you sick? What’s wrong? Why do you–” Baekhyun chuckles and shakes his head before the look in his eyes changes. His heart seems to calm down too, the nerves leaving his body as soon as he runs a hand through Chanyeol’s hair. Of course Chanyeol leans in, instinctively.

“I’m sorry, I got a little distracted. Come, I need you to get dressed – it’s a big day, right?”

 

Chanyeol sits in his chair, perked up and alert. He looks at Baekhyun as his owner types away on the computer’s keyboard in front of him. His eyes are focused on the screen and he doesn’t seem to notice Chanyeol’s intense stare. He’s too far away though. Much too far away. They installed the chair near the entrance of the office so Chanyeol could guard the door, but Baekhyun sits near the window overlooking the park outside.

So without really thinking about it any further, Chanyeol jumps up from his seat – effectively startling Baekhyun – to start pulling the heavy piece of furniture closer to his owner.

“What are you doing?” Baekhyun asks, as if it’s not obvious.

“I want to sit next to you. Well, I actually want to sit on your lap but you said I’m heavy so I’ll just sit here and watch you and maybe you can pet me?” A short silence follows in which Baekhyun just processes those words. He reaches a hand out to brush through Chanyeol’s hair though, gently scratching his ears too.

“I don’t know how effectively I’ll be able to work with one hand, but I’ll try.”

 

He does that, until Baekhyun leaves for lunch and Chanyeol has his first moment alone in the office. It’s also the first moment he pays any attention to what happens outside the small area he shares with Baekhyun. There’s a window showing him the hallway of the office that they’re located at and he can see many people and hybrids passing by.

There’s one persistent one, though, that doesn’t pass immediately. He’s a tall, slender hybrid, ears pointy like those of a cat and his tail is slim as well. There’s a smile on his face – but he looks a little… cunning, though Chanyeol would never use such a word. He’s interested, to say the least, but when he approaches the window, the hybrid struts off. And Chanyeol frowns because I wants to get to know him, but he’s not allowed to leave. He should stay here and make sure that nobody slips inside his owner’s office.

He sees the hybrid several times that day. When Baekhyun goes out again to fetch himself a cup of coffee and a snack for Chanyeol, the tall cat comes by again. This time, the door is opened, cheekily and slowly, before the head of that notorious hybrid pops inside.

“You’re weird, you know that?” he says and Chanyeol just stares. “Your owner is out there getting coffee, that’s something you could do for him so he can continue working.” A knowing look is on the hybrid’s face and Chanyeol’s falls. That’s true. He’s not doing a very good job of – no hold that thought.

“Well I’m supposed to guard his office,” he retorts, but his voice comes out softly, unwilling to offend anyone.

“What, are you a police dog?” Chanyeol doesn’t have an answer to that and because he stays silent, the cat hybrid shrugs and turns back around, closing the door right before Baekhyun comes back into view through the window. And Chanyeol notices his owner smiling at him, petting his head shortly and the hybrid smiles, eyes turning into little crescents.

It’s nothing of course. Chanyeol frowns and looks down, telling himself those words over and over again.

“Hey, Chanyeol,” Baekhyun starts after he has closed the door behind himself and Chanyeol looks up, but he’s very distracted. Baekhyun doesn’t notice this – probably because there are things on his own mind. “The day after tomorrow, I'm going to take you to a doctor real quick, there are some thing I want to have checked, okay? I made us an appointment,” Baekhyun says, but somehow, it goes in one ear and out the other and Chanyeol doesn’t process the information.

“Hm okay,” he replies, but in is mind, all he hears is police dog and all he sees, is Baekhyun petting a hybrid that’s not Chanyeol.

 

The next day, the cat hybrid teases Chanyeol again. He’s just coming by to see him, poke fun at him for his very serious duty – even though no other hybrid seems to do any such thing. The other hybrids seem to socialize while Chanyeol stays holed up in his little office. Not that he minds that – he has his pack and that’s really all that matters to him. But the cat hybrid that keeps sticking his head inside, as if checking up on him, but whenever Chanyeol tries to get closer, he leaves.

“Baekhyun, who’s the cat hybrid?” he then asks when his owner has returned from his afternoon coffee break. Baekhyun stills for a moment before he closes the door behind himself with a fond smile on his face. Of course he has an idea why Chanyeol would ask the question, especially because the wolf is sitting in his chair now and Baekhyun doesn’t see a reason not to sit on his lap when continuing the conversation.

“He’s Sehun, the hybrid of my friend Jongin,” he tells Chanyeol as soon as he’s planted his bum on top of Chanyeol’s thighs. He leans into the taller male, feeling how Chanyeol’s hands run up his sides to hold him in a loose embrace. It’s comforting, Baekhyun thinks, and at the same time, it’s a little unsettling. More and more, he notices that Chanyeol distances himself whenever things get too intimate and Baekhyun is afraid that it has to do with whatever it is that’s causing him to not go into heat.

“His name is Sehun?” Chanyeol asks, just to confirm the information and Baekhyun hums, despite his train of thought. He tries not to think too much anyway, resting his head against the sturdy shoulder of his hybrid is much better without worry ruining it. “He won’t let me get close to him,” the hybrid says and to that, Baekhyun lifts his head to look at him.

“He’s a cat, I think he’s a bit afraid of you,” he explains, but Chanyeol frowns at that.

“He comes here all the time, saying mean things and then when I want to get a better whiff of his scent to know what he means, he leaves again…”

“Mean things? What does he say?” By now, Baekhyun’s fingers are all carded through Chanyeol’s hair, soothing his scalp and maybe making replying a little bit harder, but Chanyeol tries.

“He called me a police dog yesterday and he calls me weird, says I’m not taking care of you well,” he says, pouting, to which Baekhyun’s heart breaks silently.

“Oh little one… I’ll talk to Jongin about it, okay? I’m sure Sehun doesn’t mean to hurt your feelings. You’re doing a great job taking care of me; nobody has broken in here, have they?” Chanyeol shakes his head with a little smile and so does Baekhyun. “See? You’re doing great. Now, I’ll have to get back to work.”

--

I promise you that more will happen next chapter, if you're willing to stick around ^^ Thank you so much for subscribing and for reading my story! <3