Different

Watching Baekhyun's office

“Chanyeol,” Baekhyun says, his voice stern, but Chanyeol hears the surprise in it. Of course he would be surprised, it’s the first time Chanyeol has ever felt the need to protect him. He stops growling, though, because he knows that’s what Baekhyun asks of him – but that doesn’t mean he’ll stop glaring at the man. “This here is my boss, Wu Yifan,” Baekhyun continues, as if the words should mean anything to Chanyeol.

All the hybrid wants right now, is just nuzzle Baekhyun’s neck to get away from the tall threat standing in front of them. Instead, his tail stands up straight in defense and he can only hope that the rest of the people working in this building aren’t as scary as this man. Not that Chanyeol thinks he’s a… scary person, but seeing him so uneasy, not knowing what to do – it makes men do things they regret. And if those things regard Baekhyun– Chanyeol wouldn’t even want to think about it.

“I… take it you know what you’re doing?” the man asks Baekhyun and Chanyeol’s owner smiles so blindingly that, even though it’s not directed towards him, Chanyeol feels butterflies in his stomach.

“Yes, Mr. Wu. It’s just the first time I’ve brought him and he’s a little… insecure,” Baekhyun explains and Chanyeol looks down at him.

“No I just don’t want you to get hurt,” he says in a small voice. He’s entirely unwilling to go against Baekhyun’s words or judgement, but this man shouldn’t think badly of him. What if Chanyeol isn’t allowed to come to Baekhyun’s workplace again? He’d be devastated.

It’s silent for a while and Chanyeol thinks he messed up. How could he not have messed up? He was supposed to show he’s a good and well-trained hybrid who listens to his owner and right at the first chance he had, Chanyeol disagreed with him. Nevertheless, the man’s demeanor changes after having let the words sink in. He sends Chanyeol a warm smile, but then turns to Baekhyun for a moment.

“What did you say his name was? Chanyeol, right?” he asks and Baekhyun nods. The hybrid feels how the tense atmosphere dissipates and he can breathe again – his owner is relaxed again. “Chanyeol,” the man says, looking him in the eyes even though the hybrid looks away again, not liking eye-contact with anyone other than his owner. “I wouldn’t ever hurt Baekhyun, you can count on that. But it’s a good thing he brought you here, seeing how much you like him,” he says and a tiny smile plays on Chanyeol’s lips when he dares to look up at him for another short while.

“I love him.”

 

It’s all a bit much. Chanyeol has seen so many different faces matched to so many different smells, that he’s overwhelmed. He’s been nice to everyone though – or rather, he submissively shied away from everyone. And though he feels a little ashamed of that behavior, the fond chuckles he hears from Baekhyun, tell him it’s alright. All he needs to do, is stay close to his owner and when nobody watches, rest his nose in the crook of his neck.

Then, it’s already time to go back home though as Baekhyun only brought him to introduce him. And Chanyeol has forgotten about everyone he just met. He feels so bad about that, because nobody seemed to be mean – but he did notice that everyone was… not like him. Nobody needed the security of their owner, nobody needed to be on a leash to feel alright. It’s like Baekhyun said, nobody brings their hybrids leashed – and now that Chanyeol experienced that, he feels like he should be braver.

“Do you think they mind me?” he asks, fiddling with his fingers when he watches how Baekhyun drives out of the parking garage, his skills obviously unrivalled. Chanyeol is always so proud of him, always feels so full of love when he looks at everything Baekhyun does. He knows his owner is the best at everything and still, every time Chanyeol sees him do one of these things, he’s amazed.

“Of course not,” Baekhyun replies and Chanyeol needs a moment – he might have forgotten what he just asked because of his train of thought. Tilting his head, he searches for his owner’s eyes, but Baekhyun keeps his eyes on the road in front of him. “Once you’ll get used to the place and the others, you’ll be more outgoing, I’m sure of it. And you know what, even if you’re not, you’re the sweetest hybrid in the world and there’s no way anyone will dislike you,” Baekhyun rambles and Chanyeol feels his lips tug upwards. If he hadn’t been sitting on his tail, it’d be wagging happily by now. Baekhyun quickly glances at him with a smile before he turns back to the road. “Does it make you happy to hear that?”

“Of course,” Chanyeol says, amazed that his owner noticed – but then again, Baekhyun can do anything, even if he can’t pick up on Chanyeol’s pheromones.

“I love it when your ears go up like that, I want to make you happy all day. And now I can – I’m so excited to start bringing you to work every day.” All Chanyeol thinks is that Baekhyun’s voice sounds so warm and he’s so lucky to have him.

 

The next day during lunch, Baekhyun sits at the cafeteria of the office together with Jongdae. Because of Baekhyun bringing Chanyeol yesterday, their conversation drifts to hybrids easily and Baekhyun feels he can finally bring up the topic that’s been bothering him for a long time now.

“You know… Chanyeol hasn’t had his first heat yet,” he tells Jongdae with a worried frown and he sees how his friend’s smile slips off his face. Instead, his eyebrows draw up before he frowns as well.

“That doesn’t sound good. He’s fully grown now,” he tells Baekhyun and the latter nods worriedly.

“That’s what I’m saying… I mean everything else seems to be working alright.” Baekhyun takes a few bites of rice and sees Jongdae thinking about it for a bit, but soon enough, he rummages through his briefcase.

“How about seeing a doctor?” his friend says, holding out a business card of a man seemingly called Dr. Zhang and Baekhyun frowns a little. He doesn’t know if doctors and Chanyeol would be a very good combination as his hybrid is scared to even get his yearly shots. And maybe his heat will just come on its own… Nevertheless, he takes the card.

“I don’t know, I mean you’ve seen little Chanyeol – he’s scared of everything,” he says, worried, but so fond of his hybrid that he doesn’t know which option would be the best one. Jongdae breaks into a genuine laugh though and Baekhyun is a bit shocked, but then again, this is Jongdae – not someone who’s known to be serious. For a long time, anyway.

Little?” Baekhyun shrugs with a nod, because isn’t he? “I don’t know if you have some sort of magical goggles on when you’re looking at him, but he’s most certainly not little,” Jongdae says after chuckling. “He did seem to be a bit scared… but you said he protected you from Mr. Wu as well, right? So he’s capable of … at least threatening.” He laughs a little at his own choice of words, sounding not as convincing as he thought he would. Baekhyun is very proud of Chanyeol though – especially when he spoke up about his reason to growl, he hadn’t expected that at all.

“Well, maybe. But doctors aren’t usually very kind and–”

“Dr. Zhang is like, the kindest man out there. I take mochi Minseok there whenever something’s up. Really, he’s a good man, you should try it. I think it’s better than waiting around while maybe something bad is up with your little hybrid.”

 

Baekhyun wastes no time. Before the day is over, he has scheduled an appointment with Dr. Zhang and he’s happy that he will be able to go there soon. Well, not as soon as the day he’ll get his own – his own – office. Tomorrow. Though he’s a bit worried about how Chanyeol will do, knowing that he can stay inside the office is reassuring.

--

I know it's been a while, but I had a busy week ^^' I hope you liked the chapter! And thank you all so much for subscribing, upvoting or leaving a comment! <3