The leash

Watching Baekhyun's office

Later that night, when they’ve both eaten their dinner and Baekhyun has taken Chanyeol out on his nightly walk, they cuddle up in Baekhyun’s bed. Chanyeol never sleeps on it, though he wants to. He has a large pillow lying next to the bed and it’s comfortable, but it doesn’t have his owner lying on there. So every night before bed, Chanyeol is the happiest, because he gets to cuddle with Baekhyun in warm sheets that have the scent of his owner.

His nose is in de crook of Baekhyun’s warm neck, his arms wrapped around the smaller body that fits perfectly against his chest. A silly smile rests on Chanyeol’s face for no reason and would he think about it at all, he’d be happy Baekhyun can’t see it. He doesn’t think about it, though. All he thinks is that he’s just so lucky.

“Chanyeol?” Baekhyun then asks, softly, while his fingers card through Chanyeol’s hair. The hybrid’s first reply is the wagging of his tail, then he hums. “I was asked to bring you to the office tomorrow, to see if you get along with the other hybrids,” Baekhyun says, sounding a little hesitant and Chanyeol reluctantly stops nuzzling his neck.

“Why would I not get along with them?” he asks, feeling self-conscious because what if Baekhyun thinks he’s not nice to others? What if Baekhyun secretly doesn’t like him and is pretending–

“Well you’re a wolf… and there are many different kinds of hybrids at work, some are scared of species like yours – some wolves are much more… wild than you – but they won’t know you’re different,” Baekhyun explains and Chanyeol starts feeling a little worried. Of course he could always already smell that Baekhyun isn’t alone when he goes to the office, but he wouldn’t have expected many different kinds of hybrids to surround his owner.

“Will you be by my side?” Chanyeol asks, pouting a little as he looks his owner in the eyes and instantly, he sees Baekhyun’s face soften. The air around them becomes less tense as well and Chanyeol dares to relax in his hold again. He already knows the answer to his question anyway.

“Of course, I won’t leave you.”

When Chanyeol smiles and presses his nose against the soft skin of Baekhyun’s neck again, he has the urge to kiss the spot. A blush creeps up his cheeks because not only does he want to kiss Baekhyun’s neck, he wants to turn his owner on his back and his thoughts are running wild out of nowhere.

“What’s wrong?” Baekhyun asks as soon as Chanyeol distances himself, seemingly scared of his own thoughts. He sputters a few words before a muffled goodnight leaves his lips and Chanyeol rolls himself up on his pillow beside the bed.

 

“Why did you take off my leash?” Chanyeol asks, his brows furrowed when he picks up the leash that Baekhyun unclipped from his collar and put back on the cabinet. Just like always, Chanyeol had fastened it, that’s how they always go outside – it’s what he’s used to and he has no idea why now would be any different. In fact, in a situation like this one, where Chanyeol doesn’t know anyone who he’s going to meet, he wants to be securely attached to his owner.

“Nobody brings their hybrids on a leash to the office – we need to show everyone that you’re well-behaved, that you don’t need to be leashed because you won’t run away or cause trouble,” Baekhyun says, but it sounds so wrong. It’s a habit and Chanyeol stays true to his habits, always. He frowns again, though, because this is what his owner wants, apparently. However, upon seeing his expression, Baekhyun stills, not going anywhere and instead, he turns back around. His fingers reach for the leash again and he looks up at Chanyeol with an expression that is difficult for him to read. “Well it’s – you’re not like everyone else. I’m sorry for even thinking of putting you through something so uncomfortable. Please, bend down a little,” Baekhyun says eventually and Chanyeol’s heart races.

Since the moment Chanyeol had developed the skill to hold things in his hands and do things with them, Baekhyun hasn’t fastened his leash for him. It’s one of the few things he’s actually always doing on his own. For him to be helping him out with it now, makes Chanyeol nervous, anticipating. Nevertheless, he bends down a little like his owner told him to and sees the fond look with which Baekhyun looks back at him. The slender fingers hook around the thick band, brushing past Chanyeol’s skin and making him swallow. Seeing that, Baekhyun looks up into his eyes, click the leash into place and then he runs his fingers through Chanyeol’s hair.

“You’re so cute, do you know that?” he tells Chanyeol, but the hybrid is unable to respond, his heart hammering in his chest. Instead of saying anything, he dives right down to nuzzle Baekhyun’s neck. He feels his owner shiver, but a breathy chuckle leaves Baekhyun’s lips nevertheless. “Are you ready to go now, little one?”

 

Outside in the dark, Chanyeol is excited. Getting inside the car is one of those things that he rarely gets to do and driving to Baekhyun’s work – that will be a first. So he skips next to Baekhyun, looking down with a wide smile that his owner happily returns. And gosh Baekhyun looks so handsome in his suit, Chanyeol wishes he could see him like this every day. But wait – he can now. At his thoughts, he leans back down to greedily inhale Baekhyun’s scent from under his ear.

He doesn’t expect his owner to let out a surprised squeal at his abrupt action. A little embarrassed by his impulsiveness, Chanyeol backs down with his head down and his tail wagging in apology. Baekhyun gradually shortens the leash, though, taking more and more of it in his hand and bringing Chanyeol closer with it.

“Are you excited I’m bringing you?” Baekhyun asks when they’re walking right next to each other, Baekhyun’s suit jacket brushing Chanyeol’s bare arm and he can’t contain his smile.

“I’m happy to be with you,” he says, feeling secure out in the dark of morning, not only because he’s on his leash, but because he’s with Baekhyun.

Of course he’s noticed he’s much taller than his owner. Of course he knows he’s stronger as well. Physically, he doesn’t need Baekhyun’s protection, but he’s so used to it that psychologically, he does. And it’s nice, to not have to be in charge. Just doing whatever Baekhyun wants him to do, that’s all that’s on Chanyeol’s mind.

So walking next to him, with his leash in his owners hand, Chanyeol feels more than satisfied. Because Baekhyun is the kind of owner who looks after his needs too. He won’t use Chanyeol for his own selfish reasons, he always takes good care of him.

The ride to the office is only short, but Chanyeol takes in so much of his surroundings that he feels a little tired. His mind is racing and when he’s supposed to go out of the car, he doesn’t and just sits, staring at the inside of the parking garage. Thankfully, it only takes the touch of Baekhyun’s hand against his upper arm to snap out of it.

“Come, we’re here,” Baekhyun says with a soft smile, standing next to the opened car door. And Chanyeol listens obediently, like he should – and wants to. He notices his leash dangling around his neck without a purpose though, so as soon as they start walking and Chanyeol begins getting a little anxious, he taps Baekhyun on his shoulder. With a questioning look in his eyes, Baekhyun turns around and looks up at him. Chanyeol hands him the material with a bashful smile and Baekhyun breaks into a grin. “Oh, sorry. I forgot for a bit. Come, I’m sure they’ll like you – I mean, what’s not to like?”

Chanyeol’s heart is filled with happiness at those words and he’d nuzzle his owner again, if it wasn’t for the looming presence of a man who stands waiting at the entrance of the building they’re about to enter. Chanyeol is a tall hybrid, but this man is taller than him and he feels a little anxious, though Baekhyun doesn’t – at all – smell afraid.

“Ah, Baekhyun. I see you managed to bring him to work,” the man says as an introduction and Baekhyun smiles and bows at him, but Chanyeol doesn’t know the proper etiquette. He stands still awkwardly and sees how the man lets his gaze drop from Chanyeol’s eyes to his collar, then the leash in his owner’s hand. “You have him leashed? That’s… interesting.” Chanyeol hears the unease in the man’s voice – as if Chanyeol is some sort of savage. He instinctively gets closer to his owner, growling low in his throat because uneasy men are unpredictable men and he can’t have anyone attack his owner.

 

--

Here's the second short chapter ^o^ I hope you liked it! <3 Thank you so much for giving this story a try!! <3