a tragic love story

a love story written in blood

 

Min Yoongi was a simple guy. He liked beer instead of fancy cocktails and expensive drinks, he drank his morning coffee with two huge drops of sugar just to sweeten his day right at its start, his favourite color was not black but white - stained with stripes of red -, and he had a turtle named Tony Montana. The favourite part of his day was the lazy morning in cozy clothes, doing absolutely nothing around the apartment, not having to see or interact with others, and at nights when he couldn’t be detached from the TV playing the recent football match.

 

See? He was as normal as any other human being with average, boring lives.

 

Except for one thing.

 

He was part of the Underworld - an assassin corporation that spread through the whole world, they had members everywhere who rarely knew each other, and orders came via text messages to a phone that was only used for work. The rules were easy to follow, basically it meant if you behaved, you didn’t encounter any harm. The receiver had 48 hours to complete the mission after reading the coded information that provided enough knowledge to find out more about the targets, and once they were out there working, they were on their own; so getting into unnecessary trouble equalled no help from above. Smooth and silent weren’t terms of the agreement, but if someone left gory and chaos rising after themselves, they also needed to wipe out every evidence that could later link them to the scene. The money came within hours after a picture proof of the job done.

 

Sadly, if you were in, you could never get out. This was the only and utmost rule the members had to observe. For Yoongi, it wasn’t something that caused many-many headaches and sleepless nights of yearning for escape, no, he enjoyed living this way. He didn’t think he was bound to any rules, he saw this lifestyle as a form of doing some things in a specific, required way, but after these things were done, he was free from all laws, free as the wind.

 

Min Yoongi was a simple guy. He simply liked to kill people.

 

He was a monster that lurked in the shadows, waiting for the proper moment to strike down at its victims, seemingly incapable of feeling any emotions other than self-satisfaction and pleasure from the high adrenaline of killing people; but there was someone, a girl, like in every story, who couldn’t believe these false assumptions.

 

You.

 

He met you in spring, the season he hated the most thanks to sappy lovers strolling the streets of Seoul, you casually bumped into him at the corner of an alley where he, thanks to your clumsy interruption, lost the target he was following for hours. He tried to hate you, so so much, that the thought of going against his own principle rule to not to kill any innocent civilian who got in the way in broad daylight, was very much tempting, but it was initially impossible to hate you. Not even when you almost made him fail on a job for the first time, nearly being late on the deadline.

 

But how could he hate you? You were the bubbliest, friendliest and most free-spirited girl he’s ever met, you were adorably charming with your height - even though he hated short people, he just found you cute -, and you were oh so beautiful that everything turned colorless beside you from the moment he laid eyes on you.

 

He knew he should’ve known better, but how could he stay mad when you started to wipe the spilled coffee off of his clothes with a crumpled tissue that did nothing to help you? You were persistent to clean the cotton cardigan despite Yoongi’s attempts to stop you, but once you started talking and doing something, no one could shut you down. He had the fortune to meet all kinds of people during his missions, however, he’d never met anyone like you. You were a mystery to him with all your kindness and goofiness, he didn’t even understand what made him to buy you another coffee for your offer to send his clothes to dry-cleaner’s and pay the bill. But he did, and you chatted through the whole afternoon and several other occasions, thus your love began to blossom like the flowers bloomed in Spring.

 

And he made the greatest mistake he ever could: he brought you into his life. Into the Underworld.

 

From where, the only escape was to be dead.


 

The bar seemingly stayed unbothered by the sudden appearance of the man at the door. He didn’t move after crossing the threshold, calmly dragging his stare around the place, observing the guests, but not actually seeing them. The relaxed, almost cocky smirk playing on his lips was charming on its own way, but the ice-cold eyes foretold the brewing storm about to strike.

 

The chilling background music escorted him to the bar, it was calming, really, but it wasn’t enough for him to change his mind. He wouldn’t let his prey escape this time. He just couldn’t.

 

He elegantly placed himself on top of a stool, leaving one unoccupied between him and his target. His old friend who now turned into his greatest enemy. And enemies were meant to be destroyed, mercilessly and without a second thought; at least, these were the unspoken rules in his world. No, in their world.

 

The man sitting on the stool noticed Yoongi the minute he set foot into this place, the mirror hanged on the wall before him sure helped, but he didn’t need that to feel his ex-best friend’s presence, he was a master of sensing danger when it targeted him.

 

“Long time no see, pal,” Bobby raised his glass of whisky without looking in Yoongi’s way. It was indeed almost a year ago when they had last met, Yoongi too busy with his missions that kept coming after one another, like the universe was working against him for some unknown reason. Or more like the Underworld did, higher-ups somehow finding out that he seeked for Bobby’s blood.

 

They were both part of the system, numerously working together on rough cases that required two skilled men to finish up neatly. It was rare when the Underworld let their people meet each other, but in Bobby and Yoongi’s case, they actually liked it when the best friends were sent on a mission together. They were golden children of the founders, who always got away with everything.

 

At least, until it didn’t affect the way the system worked. And mates turning on each other sure wasn’t a pleasant thing, especially if it meant the possibility of losing not one, but two of their bests. So they kept them busy, on different parts of the country, until they couldn’t, because a man with an oath was more dangerous than others, and unstoppable when it came to fulfill his vow.

 

Thus they were here tonight. Yoongi deadbeat - both mentally and physically - after years of inefficient pursuit, wanting nothing more than to rest calmly tonight with the knowledge of finally avenging your death.

 

It didn’t matter he had found love again now, it didn’t matter that he was happy on a new girl’s side, your memory always remained and followed him everywhere, your tear streaked face, body dirtied with blood and pleading words hunted him in his dreams, with the pain of betrayal from his own friend whom he loved like family.

 

Bobby was the one who agreed to bring you along on one particularly dangerous mission despite all of Yoongi’s protests, the two of you were against him, so he had no choice but to comply and keep you by his side to make sure you were protected and alright. He didn’t like how you and Bobby took this lightly, because oh, what could possibly go wrong with two trained killers accompanying you?

 

Everything.

 

From the moment you involuntarily became their bait, to the horrifying seconds of inability to act as the bullets tore your body apart before Yoongi could finish off their target. You were gone just like that, Yoongi being only seconds late to pull his trigger, too late to save you, and Bobby… Bobby bearing the guilt of your death ever since that fateful night.

 

He was your friend, one of the bests, and never, ever wanted you to become the victim of their cruel world they pulled you into, he knew he had made a mistake when he didn’t listen to your boyfriend’s complaints, but he was so sure that they would succeed that the thought of dealing with losses never occurred to him.

 

He partly accepted his fate, didn’t blame Yoongi for wanting to end his life, but that didn’t mean he was willing to go down without trying. He didn’t want to harm his best friend, but also didn’t want to give up on life just like that, when in their world, it was the most treasured belonging one could have.

 

Yoongi snorted, not addressing Bobby properly, instead he ordered some martini for himself, he badly wanted to get over with it, but he needed a little push before he started anything.

 

“So how are we gonna do this?” Bobby spoke again, deeming it pointless to beat around the bush. He was a straightforward guy with goofiness flowing in his veins, while Yoongi was just mysterious and surly. An unreadable book.

 

But to Bobby, he was the most obvious human being he had ever met.

 

“Are you going to jump at me here, in front of dozens of witnesses?” Bobby pressed a little more. He liked to poke the tiger until it bit back. He couldn’t change this bad habit around anyone, not even the man he once loved as his brother. “Or you expect me to go out willingly, so you wouldn’t have to worry about silencing the witnesses?”

 

“Everyone has their unlucky day, don’t they?”

 

Bobby smirked no matter how absurd it was in that situation. He had heard this infamous line from Yoongi’s mouth more than he could have counted, it was the man’s way to express that he didn’t really cared about witnesses. Especially, if something he planned put them in danger, he usually told it when innocent people were about to die, because it would have been too tricky to get them out of the equation.

 

Bobby anticipated something like this coming, but his eyes still widened, and he muttered , when Yoongi pulled out a small device from his jacket pocket, one little push on the button was enough to send the place flying in the air with a big bumm.

 

Chaos took over the bar after the detonation, burned, dead bodies laid everywhere, a bloodied hand pulled at his leg and a voice croaked “Help”, but Yoongi easily put a bullet through the man’s head without looking at it twice.

 

Crying women and desperate men tried to avoid him, but he was quicker than all of them, swiftly ending their miserable lives without wasting more than one precious bullet on them. He tried to keep as much as he could for Bobby, but he assumed he would have to finish this with his own two hands, knowing that the other was a too strong opponent, who was a master of dodging bullets.

 

Yoongi angrily looked through the still warm and torn bodies, Bobby was nowhere. Of course, he expected this, but he couldn’t help but feel the disappointment of failing again. How much easier it would have been if the explosion had killed him too, and it was truly upsetting that this bastard was hard to kill off.

 

Bobby took cover as soon as Yoongi’s finger met the button, he used a surprised bartender as his shield, but the blast still managed to wound his left arm. It wasn’t lethal, but ached like hell, though their chances were equal, because his own tricks injured Yoongi too.

 

“You know there is no point of hiding,” Yoongi shouted, carefully strolling around, paying attention to every move or sound that caught his eye. “I’ll find you, and then I’ll kill you.” Maybe after I had some fun with you, he added only in his head, because even though the evil thoughts of torturing Bobby to death were there, he knew he wouldn’t be able to do it. Only quick actions were useful in this situation.

 

Bobby jumped on him from behind the bar, but Yoongi was fast, faster than a bullet could hit the target, so he stepped away in the last second, resulting in his opponent’s fall to the ground. Yoongi caged his body, standing above him and pointing his gun to his head, satisfaction filling him, thus he made the mistake of prolonging things for his own wicked desires.

 

“Last words?” He asked generously, voice colder than all the lakes at winter.

 

“Yeah.” Bobby smiled. It was his significant, mischievous, almost delighted smile. “You targeted the wrong ,” Yoongi saw the upcoming surprise before it happened, but he wasn’t ready to prevent it this time.

 

Bobby stabbed his pocket knife into his leg, aiming deep and turning it a few times, just to be sure it had the right affect. Yoongi hissed and the gun fell from his hands, with his momentary weakness, Bobby was able to push him off of him, going with the flow and rolling over the man’s body to deliver a punch. And then another. And another. And a couple more until he got tired of lashing out at Yoongi.

 

The next punch hit the ground centimeters away from Yoongi’s head with a frustrated yell as Bobby hated hurting his best friend. He hated being the center of Yoongi’s own hate, and hated that it was rightful. He deserved this for his mistake.

 

Bobby slowly got up and walked over to the bar to pour himself something, anything strong enough to take part of his pain away, while Yoongi coughed up some blood and struggled a little to sit up as his whole body was set in flames.

 

Bobby grabbed a whisky bottle with his bruised hand and took a big sip of it, enjoying the way the alcohol burned his gullet after he swallowed a big amount down hastily. “Aren’t you tired of this?” He asked suddenly, voice broken. “How many innocent people have to die for our foolish chasing game to be over?”

 

Yoongi took a deep breath, lung hissing at him for doing so. “Just one,” He breathed out eventually, lunging for his gun. The once best friends met halfway, guns pulled out and pointed at each other. “And he isn’t innocent.”

 

They knew each other tactics too well. Bobby knew Yoongi wouldn’t give up if there was a small portion of life left in him, not until he was breathing. He expected this as he forgot to fetch Yoongi’s gun earlier.

 

“How did we get here?” He whispered, wanting to laugh at his stupid question and the absurdity of this situation. If someone told him he’d be Min Yoongi’s mortal enemy one day, he would have killed the person for the sole reason of stating something so untrue and impossible.

 

“You got us here!” Yoongi snapped, grip intensifying around the gun. He hated Bobby for indirectly causing your death. He hated him for making him swore an oath, he hated this forced hatred that had to exist unless you remained as another name on the long list of innocent lives they took.

 

It’s not like Bobby didn’t knew how great Yoongi’s pain was. But there, in that moment, he saw another side of his old friend that he had never gotten to see during the years of their close friendship. Yoongi was vulnerable, broken and lost with his face distorting with pain - mental and not psychical -, eyes shining too noticeably and hands shaking a little, but still kept firmly on the target.

 

I did this. I broke him, the realization hit him like a speeding car going several miles per hour. All the guilt he buried deep down in himself got to the surface in a span of seconds, and his heart clenched seeing Yoongi like this. From his perspective, the other man was still an important part of his life, still his friend despite all the cruel assassination attempts against him, how could he hurt him that much?

 

Bobby lowered his gun, pulling the cartridge clip out and throwing the bullets away. He had killed many people, innocent and cruel ones, you, but he would never be the one to take his best friend’s life.

 

He deserved to die anyway. For you. “Do it.” He didn’t raise his voice, nor spoke angrily. There was only regret and resignation.

 

Yoongi was taken aback by Bobby’s sudden action he clearly didn’t expect. Where was the always so lively man that could never get sad or lose his enthusiasm? The man whose element was to kill? Where was the persistence? Where was the real Bobby?

 

Where? Where? Where? No matter how many times did it echo in his head, Yoongi swore to kill him. He was doomed, he knew, he could have easily walked away with having the satisfaction of making Bobby to surrender him, with the knowledge he could kill him any moment he changed his mind, but…

 

But what about me? Your voice rang in his head, and it was a wicked kind of you, because you would have never encouraged him to turn his back on his best friend, but it didn’t matter. Not when the pain was so big and his words were thoroughly important to Yoongi. He had never broken a promise. Never.

 

And he promised you that Bobby would die, so it had to be that way. The bastard even had the nerve to close his eyes and wait for his salvation with hands raised high.

 

Yoongi’s hand squeezed the gun harder and started to count back without thinking of anything else.

 

1.

 

2.

 

3…

 

But before he could have pulled the trigger, a laugh, too familiar and yet too strange, sounded with hands clapping vigorously.

 

Bobby’s eyes immediately popped open and the look the two of them shared told everything. They recognized the voice immediately without it forming any words.

 

“Well, boys,” said the woman with flat delight, “as much as I enjoy watching this, I can’t have you kill each other.”

High heels clinking against the floor could be heard, and they came face to face with…

 

You.

 

“Come on now, Yoongi!” Your laugh filled the apartment, the air, his ears - it echoed from the walls and rang in his head on repeat. It was safe to say: you inked yourself into his whole being in a short time, making him unable to get rid of your traits; he wasn’t so sure anymore what life meant without you. “You hunt down big and scary men in a heartbeat, but you can’t catch a girl?” Your sweet teasing words riled him up even more.

 

You two were doing this for minutes now. You ran away from him after splashing water to his face during your little washing-the-dishes-together session that became a habit of yours whenever you stayed over his apartment, lately more often than not.

 

He chased you all the way down to the corridors, from the bathroom to the bedroom, through the living room and out to the small balcony where you were quick enough to shut the glassdoor right before his face.

 

“Ooops,” you said cheekily, “guess I won.” Your grin and the playful glint in your eyes made your teasing not so innocent, but you acted like that anyway, because the reaction he gave, especially after that graceful biting down on your bottom lip, was quite a sight to witness. “What will be my reward?”

 

You pushed for a little more, just to see him completely lose it, and he was so ready to give everything you craved for, but you forgot one thing: he was a master of playing games, tricking people to do what he wanted in order to make his own job easier. And he never, ever had lost before.

 

“Reward?” You hummed at the question he asked with fake surprise, eyebrows raising slightly, only visible for a moment and not difficult to catch the ones with a better eyesight, but you managed to notice it even without your glasses on as you knew every significant move Yoongi made by heart. You could have also pictured it with closed eyes, based on the low tone of his voice that always came with certain expressions.

 

The noise of the outside world stayed at the other side of the solid shell you two created as your focus remained unwavered, no screeching sirens, no angry honks, no loudly talking people on the busy streets of Seoul - nothing could breach through the surface of your love. And that love meant the shelter and protection for both of you.

 

“What does my girl desire?” Yoongi simply asked, making your heart beat faster than usual, thanks to his sweet words he often used, but you always reacted the same way. Hearing that you were his girl made you feel proud and lucky, almost a bit cocky, because you were the one who managed to get this great guy and not other girls.

 

Yoongi maintained the eye contact while leaning on his right hand supported by the wall, left hand sliding over to the door handle, but stopping right there, not moving to push it forward even though he could have easily opened it without much struggle.

 

“A kiss?” You pondered, stepping away from the door, leaning your back on the railing. You didn’t care the neighbours could have seen you, it wasn’t their business anyway.

 

Yoongi’s hand pushed the door open, but he didn’t change his position, the only change was that now he saw you without transparent barricades. Your grin was inviting, daring him to come closer and do something about your cheeky behaviour. You could have asked for all the stars on the sky, and Yoongi would have done everything to get them for you.

 

“Hm, that’s all?” He raised his eyebrows.

 

“Yeah.” You nodded seriously. “Or… I mean, a new luxury car would be cool too.” You teased, implying his newest model that the Underworld got him in exchange for his excellent work.

 

“I bet you would love that, huh?” He caught up pretty quickly, no longer stationing at the door and walking towards you.

 

“Mhmmm,” Your reply was breathed onto his lips as seconds later he connected them with yours, snaking his arms around your waist, not leaving any space between you.

 

He was totally addicted to your kiss, but it was true the other way around too as you clung to him like he was the source that breathed life into you.

 

And maybe he really was.

 

The sound of your laugh reminded Yoongi of the old times and he pondered why did it sound so ugly right now.

 

He got over the initial shock quite quickly as he didn’t believe in ghosts and had lived in this screwed up world long enough to believe his own eyes never lied to him. He couldn’t tell how or why were you still alive, after all those years of grieving you, but one thing was sure after he took a better look at you: This wasn’t you. The clothes you wore were too provocative, all leather and black stuff, boots’ heels too high and hair longer, curlier than it ever was.

 

However, Bobby was still under the shock of your sudden appearance when it was as clear as moon shining brightly outside. “Y/N?” He muttered in disbelief.

 

You looked over at him after hearing him call your name. “Ah, poor thing, don’t look at me like that with your big doe eyes, because we both know you’re not that innocent,” You winked at him at the end, lips forming a cocky smile.

 

Bobby was struck in the head after your bold reply that was so unlike you.

 

When the silence started to take over the place you turned to Yoongi, your great love, who was still as handsome as ever, but now, your heart was too cold to feel anything beside that. “Aren’t you going to say something?”

 

“How is this possible?” Was all he asked. He looked straight in your eyes, hoping that he would find the girl he once fell in love with, and was ready to dedicate his whole life to her.

 

“Well, that’s a long story. I wanted to come back sooner, but they wouldn’t let me. I didn’t think you’d last this long, but I mean, you two are the prodigy kids of the Underworld or something like that,” You explained, not putting too much effort into your words. Then, you showed your sweetest smile to win them away. “Let’s go before the cops arrive here, and I’ll tell you anything you want to know on the way, okay?”

 

Yoongi’s heart involuntarily did a flip seeing the bright smile that made him fall head over heels for you.

 

Bobby got soft-hearted, because he always played the protective - and cool - big brother who wanted to do anything to keep the adorable innocence inside you, while having some fun, of course. One smile was enough to make him do things for you.

 

But what they didn’t know was that you were no longer the girl they remembered. You were now as dangerous as them, thanks to the people who saved you after these two abandoned you after they pulled you into their dangerous games.

 

Now, you were more vicious than any of them - the Underworld made sure of that after retrieving your barely living body, and you utterly enjoyed this new you who could play with anyone as she liked.

 

You knew that Yoongi and Bobby would do anything for you. And this would be their downfall one day.

 

END