Words

A Midnight Summer Dream
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She didn’t exactly know how she ended up there, stuck between the bodies of her best friends.
She had been drinking definitely more than usual, but she was not drunk, maybe just a little tipsy, but not drunk.
She really couldn’t remember how she got there, though.
But then, Wheein closed over her lips and her brain stopped working.

 

--

 

Hyejin propped her sunglasses on her nose, looking around through the black lenses. The airport was full of people running in all directions, and everything was unbearably loud for her.
She hadn’t really slept during the flight, just short ineffectual naps that got her numb and nervous; Cheongju wasn’t exactly around the corner for her, ever since her big move to New York.

"Hyejinnie!"

Hyejin looked up, and she saw a well-known girl jumping up and down, flailing her arms to get her attention a few meters away.
She couldn’t help a smile as she approached her, dropping her luggage at her feet and opening her arms for a hug.
Wheein didn’t let her wait, she threw her arms around her neck and gave her a huge hug, laughing aloud.

"You’re here! You’re back! I missed you so much!"
"I missed you too"

Hyejin didn’t know how long they stayed like that, holding each other tight, but the first to pull away was Wheein, who grabbed her abandoned luggage and started walking off to the exit.

"We have to hurry up! Tomorrow is the big day and I still have a lot of things to do!"

Hyejin nodded, following her best friend, a little distracted; it was already dark outside, the sky was full of shiny stars. 

"And you have to help me! I don’t know what to wear. Millions of clothes in my closet and nothing to wear. It’s like a nightmare. I look ugly with everything"
"Don’t say things like that. You’re cute, we will find something that’ll work"

Wheein gave her another look before they got in the car, excited "I can’t believe you’re here"

"I wouldn't have missed it for all the world Wheein", she said, buckling carefully her seat belt, "it’s your first art exhibition. And I’m your best friend. Of course I’m here"
"It seems so unreal. You’re here, with me, like old times. I couldn’t wait any longer to see you!"
"Me too, but please don’t say a word to my parents. If they know that I’m in Korea and I’m not going to see them they’ll surely kill me", she laughed, observing the city through the window. 
"Why didn’t you tell them that? You could go to see them"
"I won't stay for long" she replied, and she felt a slight tension rising up around them; a tension made of expectations and unspoken

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter