Chapter 1

Feels Like Home

„One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, one, two....“

Felix absentmindedly mumbled counts and determinedly looked at his phone screen where the recording of that morning‘s dance practice was playing. He was currently sunk into his favourite sofa, his feet tapping along to the rhythm of their new title track that was blasting through his headphones. Watchful eyes were moving left and right as Felix was scanning every little detail. The boy was so engrossed with the choreography that he almost didn‘t notice the light tap on his shoulder. Confused, he looked up and was met with Chan‘s face in front of his own.

Felix had to suppress a sigh because he already knew why their leader had come to talk to him. But without a word of protest he quickly removed his headphones and greeted the other with a wide smile.

„Hey Felix, what are you up to?“, Chan started and let himself fall onto the couch, right next to Felix.

„I was just trying to go through our dance routine some more times,“ Felix replied and showed the other his phone screen.

„Ah, sorry to bother you!“ the leader apologised after scanning the device in the younger‘s hand. Expectantly Felix was waiting for another response… any kind of question…. but, nothing.

 

Maybe… that actually hadn’t been the reason why Chan had been looking for him?

Maybe he had just wanted to hang out?

Maybe-

 

„But... there‘s actually something I wanted to talk about with you.“ Chan suddenly added, his trustworthy eyes now fixed on Felix.

Crap, here it comes...

„During the dance practice this morning all of us noticed that there was something off about you...“

Oh no...

you seemed...a little...distracted?“, Chan continued and furrowed his brows in concern.

A little? That was the understatement of the century. Felix had totally messed up the choreography this time because his mind had been occupied with thoughts about his long time crush, Changbin...
The way his body had been moving to the rhythm and his hair that had been slightly wet from his sweat had taken away all of Felix‘s concentration.

He had been harboring that stupid crush for months now, ever since the movie night Chan had arranged back then. Since Felix and Changbin had practically been glued together at the time, they were obviously sitting next to each other. An hour into the movie they had somehow ended up cuddling, Changbin‘s head resting in the crook of Felix’s neck. And even though that wouldn‘t have fazed him before, the younger’s heart had suddenly started beating a little faster than usual...

Instead of fading over time as Felix had hoped, his feelings only seemed to be getting more and more intense though.
Even his latest attempt to forget about them, aka avoiding Changbin to the best of his abilities, backfired because Felix only started to miss spending time with the other. But his crush was still as huge as ever.

 

„It‘s okay Felix, you don‘t have to tell me if you don‘t want to,“ Chan suddenly broke the silence and pulled Felix back into reality.

„I just wanted to offer you an open ear,“ their leader added, his lips curling into a soft smile, showing off the dimples their fans loved so much.

Ah no, sorry, I was just spacing out a little,“ Felix reassured the other right away.
„Really, thanks for checking up on me but I‘m okay. I probably shouldn‘t have stayed up until 2am yesterday...“ Felix laughed while covering his mouth with one hand as he always did.

„Okay Lix,“ Chan warmly replied.
„Well, this was actually not the only reason I was looking for you! We’re going out to watch a movie so you should start getting ready. I thought it‘d be a good idea to take our minds off the comeback for a while.“

Felix nervously shifted his legs and his smile started to fade a little.
„Uhm, actually.... I think I will stay home this time...“ he finally muttered.
„After today it doesn‘t quite feel right to reward myself to be honest...“

For a short while Chan froze, obviously surprised like he hadn‘t expected that answer but a moment later he seemed to recall the happenings from that morning.

„Alright, I understand. But don‘t be too hard on yourself, all of us mess up sometimes“, Chan stated and reassuringly caressed the other‘s shoulder.

Instead of trying to come up with a fitting reply Felix just enjoyed the warmth of Chan’s touch. These moments made him want to blurt out anything on his mind and for a couple of seconds he was tempted to finally open up about Changbin.
But how would their leader be able to help him? And how would he even react?
While Felix was still contemplating whether to tell Chan or not the other had already gotten up though.
A second later the younger boy felt his hair being ruffled by their leader before he left Felix’s side and starting urging Jisung to stop staring at Minho and jump into a different, not dirty, pair of pants.

I missed my chance...


 


Ten minutes later all of the members had gone, leaving the apartment to Felix alone.
While the others had been preparing for the cinema night, he had spent the time continuously watching the dance practice recording. Felix was determined to engrave the choreography in his mind until the rest of the group would be back but after another ten minutes the boy suddenly felt tiredness weighing down his body.
Felix tried to fight through it, not wanting to disappoint himself once again but the feeling of his eyes closing on their own soon told him that it was no use. He paused the video, got up and removed his headphones.

"Hmm, I might as well try to get some sleep until the others are back," Felix said to himself while scratching the back of his head.
With a smooth hand motion his phone disappeared in the pocket of his sweatpants and shortly after, Felix let his eyes wander over the room. The evening sun was already falling through the windows and bathed everything in a warm, golden light. It felt strange. The dorms were usually filled with the members' loud voices and laughter but now that everyone except Felix was gone, it was weirdly quiet. The only evidence left of the others' presence was the messy couch in the middle of the room. As usual, several clothes were scattered across the piece of furniture. On closer inspection Felix could recognize Jisung's blue hoodie, a pair of socks and....was that Chan's nasty sweater from the last episode of their survival show? Why hadn't he gotten rid of that thing yet??

Most of the other members were too lazy to clean up, well, everyone except Chan, but their hardworking leader had been busy enough with preparations for their upcoming comeback. As a result their „clothing dumpster“ as Jisung lovingly called it, was now shining in its full glory.
After looking over the mess in front if him one more time, Felix decided to let someone else take care of the cleaning and finally headed towards his room. Half way there though, his eyes fell a particular groupmate's door and he halted in his motion.

This was the worst idea Felix had ever had...but that didn‘t stop him from carefully reaching out for the handle....



 

"Ahh what am I even doing?", Felix sighed as he sat down on the edge of Changbin's bed. He let his hand run over the soft, black fabric and glanced around the rapper’s and Hyunjin‘s shared room. On the wall next to him Felix spotted pictures of Changbin and his family and found himself admiring one of them with a loving expression on his face. The rapper, probably around ten years old at the time the picture was taken, was squished between his mom and dad’s joyful faces and he himself looked just as happy. Felix noticed the soft waves of the sea behind them, reflecting the sunlight, so he assumed Changbin had kept the photo as a souvenir from a cherished holiday. Other than that there wasn't much to see.

One of their I am You group posters was stuck to the door of Changbin's drawer and on the other side of the room some of Hyunjin's belongings were scattered across his bedside table. But most importantly, Felix was alone. This was his chance and he wasn't going to miss it.

A bit hesitant he lifted up his groupmate's blanket to slip under it. He shifted his body and made himself comfortable.
"Don't tell Changbin-hyung about this, alright Gyu?" Felix whispered to the Munchlax plushie that was sitting on the cupboard beside him. But the toy just looked at him with dead eyes, almost mocking him, what made Felix feel even guiltier.
After sparing Gyu one last glance, the boy buried his face in his Changbin‘s soft pillow, immediately surrounded by the other‘s scent. It felt like he was receiving a soft, gentle hug by the older boy and Felix couldn‘t stop a satisfied smile creeping up his face.
He felt warm, and maybe not only because of the blanket wrapped around him. With a pleased sigh he closed his eyes and got lost in the comforting feeling. Within a minute Felix was lulled to sleep by Changbin‘s scent.

What he didn't know though, was that he had forgotten to set an alarm...