vi. A Glimpse into the Future

Chaeyoung Gets a Dragon

Disclaimer: I do not own any parts of the Pottermore Universe, including but not limited to: settings, characters, the mechanics of magic, etc. All of this belongs to the author of Harry Potter, J.K. Rowling, and Warner Bros. respectively. Idol characters are purely fictional and have no affiliation with the actual person and/or group.


 

“Have you gotten anything?” Mina and Chaeyoung were settled in the back of the library, away from any prying eyes or ears (and the rather strict librarian, Madam Pince), trying to figure out where they could start with Eads’s task. Luckily, they shared a free period and spent a fair amount of the afternoon endlessly flipping through news articles and books on precious artefacts belonging to Hogwarts, history about the castle, the finest treasures of the Wizarding World, or anything else they thought could give them a lead.

 

Technically, it was more like Mina was doing all of that.

 

Chaeyoung slouched in her chair, twirling a thick strand of her raven black hair around her finger as she watched Mina pour over the volumes of books on the table.

 

I haven’t found anything of much use yet,” gritted Mina through her teeth. “It might help if someone put in a little effort, maybe then we could actually get somewhere.”

 

“Aye, aye, Captain Myoui.” Chaeyoung grabbed a nearby book and opened it up to a random page. Her brow creased as she analyzed the dense paragraphs in front of her, tongue sticking out in concentration. After about a solid thirty seconds she looked up at Mina, stumped. “Um, what exactly are we looking for?”

 

“How am I supposed to know?” snapped Mina, slamming shut the cover of an enormous bound volume of periodicals. This was such a waste of time, she could be studying for her classes – her classes! Mina abruptly stood up causing her chair to fall over.

 

“Uh, Myoui?”

 

“Oh no! I completely forgot! I need to study for my O.W.L.s!” Mina began to hastily pack way her things, panic dancing her in eyes.

 

Chaeyoung blinked. “Aren’t your exams not until the spring?”

 

“You don’t understand; O.W.L.s are possibly the most important exams in your life – well, aside from the N.E.W.T.s of course, and if you decide a more advance career, such as one in the Ministry of Magic – speaking of which, that is where I do hope to work, therefore I cannot ruin my chances – oh my goodness, I’m involved with the Black Market. I have ruined my chances!”

 

“Whoa, whoa, whoa,” said the young girl as she reached out for Mina’s hands. “First, take a deep breath – I’m pretty you sure you said that whole thing in one go. Second, even though you’re worried, I’m pretty confident that you’ll do well on these exams. All of them. You’re like the smartest student in the whole school.”

 

Mina followed Chaeyoung’s instructions and calmed herself down. The faintest hint of a smile flickered on her lips. She was genuinely touched by the girl’s words. Who knew that the third-year could be so sweet?

 

“But really? The Ministry of Magic?”

 

Mina frowned. “Yes, what of it?”

 

“Nothing,” Chaeyoung shrugged, “It suits you.”

 

“Like me being a prefect?”

 

The short girl nodded. “Yeah, you know: uptight, snobbish, rule-follower, kind of boring.”

 

Excuse me?” Heat rose to Mina’s face and she withdrew her hands from Chaeyoung’s grasp. Never mind, she took it back. Son Chaeyoung was so not sweet.

 

“Look, I’m just saying that there’s a lot more exciting things out there than becoming a pawn of the system.”

 

Mina glared daggers at Chaeyoung. Who did this girl think she was? What did she even know? Ever since she was young, it was Mina’s dream to work in the Ministry. Some thought her parents had pressured her to chase after an intense career, but in actuality, Mina sincerely thought that the Ministry would be the best choice for her. She wasn’t aiming to be the Minister of Magic or anything, rather she wanted to join the Department of International Magical Cooperation and work with other magic governments to ensure a stronger foundation for all witches and wizards around the world.

 

The road to get to the Ministry wasn’t an easy one though. That’s why she poured her heart and soul into her studies in order to reach her goal, sacrificing most of her free time to stay on top. Mina knew that while smarts could carry you a little way, it was hard work that paid off in the end.

 

Mina bit her lip. She was fed up with her young companion. She was not going to sit around and continue to waste the afternoon with someone so unhelpful, especially if the person was just going to judge her on her choice of career path. Besides, their free period was up. “I need to go to class,” she told Chaeyoung curtly.

 

“Wait! What about the heirloom?”

 

“As far as I’m concerned, you also have a brain. Use it. Or was the Sorting Hat wrong?”

 

The prefect turned her nose as she slung her bag over her shoulder. She did not care that Chaeyoung flinched at her words nor did she dwell on the fact that they still had nothing on the given task at hand. She’d deal with all of that after she attended to her studies. Mina stomped out of the library, leaving a dumbfounded Chaeyoung gaping at the clutter and clutter of books sprawled out in front of her.

 

 

 

“Whoa, this is the second time you’ve ever had punctuality issues,” Jihyo commented as Mina plopped down in an oversized, cushioned armchair next to her best friend, huffing. She had barely made it to the Divination classroom – inconveniently located in the North Tower, far away from practically everything – seconds after the clock tower chimed. It always annoyed Mina that, despite being a witch, you always had to take so many unnecessary stairs to get anywhere in the castle. “Are you okay, Mina? This is so unlike you.”

 

“Yeah, I’ve just been busy with . . . things,” Mina said once she caught her breath. Understatement of the year. She looked around the room for signs of the professor. Although she was barely late, she hoped that Professor Trelawney didn’t do one of her big “I have foreseen this would happen” spectacles. She had an annoying habit of doing that literally every single time a student was tardy.

 

Unfortunately, the minute Mina thought she was safe, a slender woman appeared out of nowhere with a thin veil of fog surrounding her. Professor Trelawney floated towards the Ravenclaw prefect and Jihyo, wearing her usual beaded shawl and silver bangles which glistened in the classroom’s dim lighting. Her eyes, magnified by her thick framed glasses, stared straight into Mina’s soul.

 

“Ah, Miss Myoui, it seems that the stars did indeed call you forth to my tower in this late afternoon. It is quite unusual that you would be in such a haste in joining us, but I have foreseen this would happen and I had already decided that we would start a few minutes past our traditional time.” Somehow Professor Trelawney’s soft, ethereal voice managed to fill up the whole room.

 

Mina squirmed in her seat, uncomfortable with all of the curious looks her classmates shot in her direction. “I’m sorry, Professor.”

 

Professor Trelawney waved a hand in dismissal. “It is fine, my dear! However, my Inner Eye has shown me that this will occur once again after the first snowfall and then in the springtime before a dark cloud takes over the skies. Be wary of what might be keeping you from joining us in the Divine.”

 

Mina wished she could disapparate on the spot. She was never a big fan of Divination, but Jihyo insisted that the two of them should take it as an elective again this year. The Gryffindor reasoned that they weren’t guaranteed their core classes to be together (typically Houses were paired off and Ravenclaw was usually with Hufflepuff), so this was a way to spend some good old class time with one another. Mina regretted agreeing to have Divination as their shared subject.

 

“At our last gathering, I had you work on your scrying skills with a basin of water. However, today class, we will now move onto the most famous form of fortune telling! Crystal gazing.” Professor Trelawney dramatically paused as a handful of girls near the front of the room murmured in awe. “Crystal gazing is very difficult for beginners and those who do not have a natural Inner Eye, but I encourage you all to focus your mind and let the visions you see guide you through this exercise.”

 

She gestured towards a shelf filled with clear crystal balls. “Pair up and gather one ball between you and your partner. You will take turns reading each other’s future, interpreting any of the visions that appear – whether it be color clouds, symbols, or even solid images – and then record the results in your journals. Please refer to chapter nine and ten in your text, Developing an Inner Eye, and I shall move around to help.”

 

As Professor Trelawney let the class get to work, Jihyo and Mina both exchanged nods and retrieved a ball for their table.

 

“Alright, let’s see what we got here,” Jihyo said as she set the crystal ball down. She glanced at her textbook and read aloud, “In order to have a successful reading when crystal-gazing, one must first relax the mind. It is important to clear the head of any busy thoughts and reach a meditative state or the visions will be inaccurate. Gaze at the crystal ball and concentrate on breathing; slowly inhale through the nostrils and exhale through the mouth to create a steady rhythm. With enough patience, your crystal ball will show you a reading.”

 

“That’s it?” Mina asked.

 

Jihyo’s eyes skimmed the rest of the text to see if there were any more instructions. “The next part talks about what you could potentially see.” She shrugged. “I guess we should give it a go. Do you want to do it first, or shall I?”

 

In the end, both Mina and Jihyo tried gazing at the crystal ball several times, each try leading to no success at all. Mina scowled as she tried to focus on the ball in front of her, but all she saw was her own reflection. Admittedly Divination was the only subject that she wasn’t great at, probably because she wasn’t a believer. That’s okay. Mina was sure the Ministry wouldn’t throw a fit if she didn’t pursue an O.W.L. in this class.

 

“Anything yet?”

 

“I think my lipstick is a little smudged,” joked Mina. She and Jihyo laughed, though careful not to be too loud and draw the unwanted attention of Professor Trelawney.

 

“Ah, what should we write in our journal then?”

 

“Hold on, I think I have something.” Mina bit her lip as an extremely feeble cloud of silver appeared in the ball – at least, that’s what she thought she saw. It most certainly could’ve been her exhausted mind playing tricks on her too. “Uh . . . silver clouds . . . Silver clouds signify trying times ahead that will ultimately be met with good fortune,” Mina read from her book. “So, I guess something bad is going to happen but it will turn out okay?”

 

“As long as it all turns out well, I’m fine with that. Life wouldn’t be much fun if there weren’t obstacles.”

 

“Ever the optimist you are, Park Jihyo.” She shoved the ball back to her friend. “Your turn . . . again. Maybe something will show up this time.”

 

Jihyo was about to give crystal gazing another go when Professor Trelawney showed up at their table. “How are we, ladies? Is our Inner Eye working? Are you getting anything with the crystal ball?”

 

Yeah, thought Mina, a headache.

 

“Hmm, it seems that we are having some trouble here,” Professor Trelawney remarked as she peeked at the girls’ journals. “Miss Park, allow me. I will read Miss Myoui’s future and you can write down the methods I use and her results.”

 

Professor Trelawney took a seat across from Mina and stared at the crystal ball. She lifted her hands above the ball, waving her fingers like she was going zap it with some invisible magic and started to make strange sounds with . It was a bit ridiculous to witness and Mina had to bite the inside of her cheek to prevent herself from laughing. “Oh my,” the bugged-eye woman gasped as she stopped moving her hands. Her jaw slackened in utter surprise and fear. Mina saw it too. The crystal ball had turned a deep shade of blood red . . . just like . . .

 

Mina silently cried out as her wrist throbbed. Since that Hogsmeade weekend, the pain of the mark had subsided a little and was tolerable, but seeing the crystal ball now, all of the agony returned.

 

“There is much danger in your future,” Professor Trelawney whispered mystically. Other students stopped what they were doing and huddled themselves around Mina and Jihyo’s table, curious to see what reading the Ravenclaw prefect would have. “Decisions always have consequences . . . I see considerable amount of pain and anguish in the months to come – your worries will not solely rest on being late to my class, my dear. There will be heartbreak and sorrow, betrayal, vengeance, and the worst of your fears are trials you must face . . . Beware . . . beware . . .”

 

The crystal’s red cloud began to fade and a flash of polarizing lights danced inside the ball. Mina felt sick. It looked oddly familiar.

 

Professor Trelawney’s face twisted in confusion. “How marvelously fascinating! I have never seen such a display of color in crystal gazing!”

 

“What does it mean Professor?” Jihyo asked as she leaned in closer.

 

Professor Trelawney hesitated, eyes flickering over to Mina. “I . . . I honestly have no idea. You certainly won’t find it in Developing an Inner Eye, and I cannot recall any other notable texts having an interpretation for this . . .” She quickly clapped her hands together, snapping everyone out of a trance. “Enough of that! I am sure that it means you will prevail over all of your troubles, Miss Myoui. Class, please tidy up, the clock tower will chime in any second.”

 

On cue, the clock tower did indeed chime, marking the end of class.

 

Mina carried the crystal ball back to the shelf, the sphere feeling rather heavy in her hands. There is much danger in your future. Super, first no leads on the impossible quest and now she learned she has hazardous future waiting for her. It’s been a good day today. 

 

As Jihyo went ahead, a frail hand harshly stopped Mina from following her friend. The girl whirled around, coming face-to-face with a grim Professor Trelawney. There is an ancient presence within you, Miss Myoui,” she said with a voice cold as steel, far off from her own. No longer was the soft, gentle professor before her, instead it was a woman with a rigid expression and unfocused eyes, frightening Mina out of her wits. Something has been awakened, a dark force . . . so much fury . . . wronged by . . . seek justice . . . remnants of the one who played with death. You must go back . . . to when it all began . . . go back . . . go back and beware . . . the moon shall rise . . .”

 

Professor Trelawney’s head gave a violent shake and she slumped forward, Mina catching the seer’s body before it hit the ground. The fifth year awkwardly stood in the middle of the empty classroom holding her teacher, unsure of what to do.

 

Suddenly, a loud gasp slipped from the professor’s lips as she immediately bolted up from the prefect’s arms. “Oh my! Miss Myoui, what are you still doing here? The bell chimed ages ago! You best get a move on now.”

 

“But –”

 

“Shoo, dear, shoo!” Professor Trelawney steered Mina to the trapdoor of the tower and slammed it shut as the girl hurriedly climbed down the ladder. Jihyo was waiting patiently at the bottom.

 

“Mina, you look pale. Did something happen up there?” commented Jihyo, eyeing her friend with concern.

 

“N-no, Professor Trelawney was . . . uh . . . reminding me of the weird reading she gave me. For journal purposes.”

 

“That was a weird fortune she told you earlier. Really creepy.”

 

“Yeah . . . But I’m sure it’s not accurate, you know how over theatrical Professor Trelawney can be.”

 

“I suppose so,” replied Jihyo thoughtfully. “It’s not really a prediction you’d want to come true anyway.”

 

Mina whole-heartedly agreed.

 

“By the way, did Son Chaeyoung apologize to you yesterday?” Mina halted in her footsteps and snapped her head toward her friend.

 

What?”

 

“I heard you say her name as you went to the prefects’ bathroom crying last night. It sounded like she hurt you pretty bad, but she said that it was a misunderstanding and went to apologize. She followed through, didn’t she?”

 

“Oh. S-she did.” The Ravenclaw prefect understood at once why Chaeyoung had been waiting for her yesterday.

 

“Good. I’m glad to hear that you two worked it out. I hope she doesn’t cause you anymore trouble.”

 

You have no idea, Jihyo.

 

“But there’s nothing going on between you and Son, right? I mean, if there is, you can totally tell me – it seems a bit out of the blue though that the two of you are hanging around together. Wasn’t it last year you got in the way of one of her pranks and she accidentally pied you in the face? – Anyway, you know when we had plans for Hogsmeade – which you never got around to explaining where you disappeared to and why you ended up with Son – what were you two doing? Wait – oh my goodness! Is there something going on? That village can be pretty private – were you two on a secret date? Ah! Snogging? This makes so much sense if she had to apologize to you yesterday; she probably messed up somewhere. Did she make you pay? That seems like something Son would do. As your best friend, I’m trying not to judge but you could do better – well, actually you two would look cute together – hold up, aren’t you both a little young? Mina! She’s a third year –!”

 

“Jihyo!” exclaimed Mina, her face bright red. “Nothing is going on with Chaeyoung and me. Not like that! She . . . she just needed her help with her studies and came to me . . . at Hogsmeade . . .”

 

Was that believable? Gosh, Mina hoped it sounded believable.

 

“Right. Son Chaeyoung decided to have you help her with her studies at Hogsmeade. On the weekend. At Hogsmeade. Son Chaeyoung.”

 

Jihyo clearly wasn’t buying into Mina’s poor fib, but thankfully she didn’t press the issue any further. Mina decided she’d leave Jihyo to whatever fantasies she could come up with (despite however wildly embarrassing and inaccurate they were) because none of them would ever be as preposterous or as close to the actual truth.

 

/ / /

 

Paint splattered across the canvas. Chaeyoung furiously took another glob of paint from her palette and flung it at the canvas again. She was frustrated after Mina had stormed off from the library and needed to cool down. Art and flying were the best ways for Chaeyoung to relieve stress, but since it was dark outside, she opted for the former.

 

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry offered numerous of elective courses once students reached their third year; one of the subjects that stood out to Chaeyoung was Muggle Studies, specifically Muggle Art. She already was an active member of the magical art community within the school, but she was curious how non-magical beings approached the subject. It was fascinating to only use regular tools in order to bring the medium alive (though not literally like magic paintings). In Chaeyoung’s opinion, she preferred the muggle way solely depending on your own two hands to create a vision. It was much more satisfying. And quieter since the artwork didn’t talk back.

 

Painting was also the perfect way to vent out the frustrations you had with yourself.

 

Chaeyoung set up her own little workshop in the art room located on the fifth floor of the castle. There weren’t many students who took Muggle Studies and so the professor had given the class the liberties to use the space as they pleased – with only one rule: no magic. They must immerse themselves in the muggle lifestyle when they were in the classroom. Chaeyoung didn’t really mind, it gave her an opportunity to be creative.

 

She sighed as she examined the chaotic mess in front of her. Colors layered on top of each other like someone pelted their lunch against the canvas. It didn’t look very appetizing, but she wasn’t aiming to make a masterpiece or anything. The painting did, however, reflect how she felt.

 

Her quest with Mina wasn’t going so well. Not only were they still at square one with finding this mysterious heirloom, but she knew she misspoke when the two had been in the library. Uptight, snobbish, rule-follower, kind of boring. Great going, Son. That really warms you up to people. Insult them! She’ll definitely know that you want this teamwork to run smoothly!

 

Now she had to apologize to Mina yet again. Jeongyeon once warned her that she needed to filter her words before she opened or else it would get her into trouble.

 

Maybe Chaeyoung needed to start taking Jeongyeon’s advice more seriously.

 

Setting her paintbrush down, the young girl hadn’t noticed the time. It was way past the curfew hour for third-years and this was the fourth time in the week she stayed out late. Miraculously, she hadn’t gotten detention or any House points docked off. Chaeyoung packed up her paints and put them in the storage area of the room; she then took the canvas in her hands and noticed she had subconsciously drawn Eads’s mark over the mosaic of hues. The circles were lined in an appropriate dark red, almost screaming in Chaeyoung’s face. She glanced back and forth between her painting and her wrist, comparing the two. The strange symbol reminded the young girl in some ways of those old astrological celestial maps, though far simpler and absent of any stars.

 

But it was the moon in the center that interested Chaeyoung the most. It was quite realistic – the one on her skin – as if a tattoo artist had slowly etched in the picture with the careful precision. The subtle detail, the uncanny accuracy . . . despite being carved into her very own flesh, Chaeyoung was impressed. The longer she stared at the image, the closer her eyebrows drew in together. That’s strange. The Ravenclaw girl swore that when she first received the mark, the image of the moon was a fat crescent, almost at its first quarter. However, now over half of the face was shown, clearly approaching a full moon.

 

Wait . . . Could it be? Quickly running over to the large classroom window, Chaeyoung gazed at the moon glistening in the sky. It was the exact same as the one on her wrist!

 

Obviously not a coincidence, Chaeyoung realized that the mark was timer following the moon phases until it was time for her and Mina to meet up with Eads. A cold shiver slithered down her spine. It had only been a few days since she made the deal, but the countdown to December’s new moon had already begun.

 


A/n: Okay, okay, I know that technically crystal gazing is covered during the first year of study for Divination, but Mina in the Yes or Yes music video with that crystal ball may or may not have influenced that scene . . . It was just too hard to resist. 

Anyway, early chapter in celebration for the Lunar New Year this upcoming week! Hope everyone who celebrates enjoys the holiday and best wishes for upcoming Year of the Boar.