xi. Where Loyalties Lie

Chaeyoung Gets a Dragon

Disclaimer: I do not own any parts of the Pottermore Universe, including but not limited to: settings, characters, the mechanics of magic, etc. All of this belongs to the author of Harry Potter, J.K. Rowling, and Warner Bros. respectively. Idol characters are purely fictional and have no affiliation with the actual person and/or group. Original characters will be present in the plot. 


 

Mina barely got a wink of sleep, her mind was too busy trying to figure out the second clue. As soon as she reached her dormitory room, the prefect collapsed on her bed, not bothering to change out of her uniform. She was exhausted, physically and mentally, but that didn’t stop her brain for replaying the night’s events like a record player.

 

It was disappointing that the first riddle led only to another one and not the treasure. Mina wasn’t in the mood to go on an extensive treasure hunt. Why couldn’t it be one and done? Or a simple map with marks the spot? Didn’t Eads and this architect fellow know that she had more important matters to attend to like the O.W.L.S.? But sadly, it appeared no one really cared that Mina had future-defining tests in the upcoming spring.

 

This , Mina grumbled to herself as she shoved down a forkful of eggs at breakfast the next morning. Despite only getting a couple hours of rest, the fifth-year managed to carry on her morning routine as usual – it wasn’t out of the ordinary for Mina to have late nights and still be an early riser. Her body was just now conditioned to be up at sunrise.

 

“Did you hear what happened last night?”

 

“I heard! I’m not really that surprised.”

 

“Bloody hell! I’m seriously going to clobber that kid . . .”

 

Mina tried to drown out the frivolous morning gossip at the Ravenclaw table, but the whispers soon grew into loud chatter. She ignored the few snippets of exchange she did happen to hear, until something caught her full attention.

 

“Son Chaeyoung was spotted by Filch last night trying to get into Gryffindor Tower. She was wearing their Quidditch robes too!”

 

“Blimey! She didn’t!”

 

The prefect’s eyes widened. Chaeyoung was caught? Oh no . . . Mina knew the young girl should’ve waited until today to return the stupid uniform!

 

The talk suddenly fell into an eerie hush. Mina turned to see the aforementioned third-year bounce towards her House. Chaeyoung seemed completely oblivious to the cynical glares from the table and sat down next to Mina without hesitation. She greeted the prefect with a childish smile.

 

“Well, well, well, if it isn’t our very own traitor,” an older boy sneered as he sauntered over. Mina recognized him: Theon Bennett. He was a fifth-year with a rather pompous personality. Bennett’s well-built body towered over Chaeyoung, his weasel-like face with a sharp, pointed nose and piercing blue eyes looked down at the girl with disgust. The boy pushed back his wavy, russet-colored hair. “I think you’re at the wrong table, Sonny. Our House is only for those with brains and loyalty, we don’t want some midget with neither.” His thin upper lip curled into a snarl.

 

A handful of Ravenclaw students snickered at the boy’s jeer.

 

“Yeah, she must’ve taken a wrong turn,” a sixth-year scoffed in agreement. She pointed over to the table on the far left of the Great Hall. “Gryffindor is over there, sweetie. I hear they’re missing a child.”

 

“C’mon Lovette, you think that puny mind of hers can actually handle directions? Open her head and you’ll only find cobwebs,” said Bennett.

 

“Shame that the Sorting Hat called out Ravenclaw. You reckon it made a mistake?” Another student piped up.

 

The fifth-year boy snorted. “’Course! There’s no way that Sonny truly belongs in Ravenclaw – even her two brain cells know that.”

 

The verbal jabs at the poor girl continued whilst the rest of the House observed the scene indifferently. It was hard to tell what Chaeyoung was thinking; her face remained blank as she focused intently on eating her breakfast.

 

“Hey, Sonny, you listening?” Bennett barked. He ripped Chaeyoung’s fork from her hand and flung it down the table. “Eyes on us when we talk to you! Or is your food really that interesting? Here! Maybe you should take a closer look!”

 

The older boy seized a handful of Chaeyoung’s hair and smashed her face-first onto her plate of food. Mina stared in horror as the third-year slowly sat up, wiping away egg yolk from her eyes. Jam was smeared across her neck and jaw, and stray pieces of bacon clung to her hair, the dark strands soaking in the grease.

 

Not quite finished, Lovette seized Chaeyoung’s glass full of orange juice and dumped it on top of her head. The sticky liquid rained down on the young girl’s face, down onto her uniform, all the way to the floor. Chaeyoung was completely soaked.

 

The Ravenclaw table burst into laughter.

 

Mina was furious. She stood up abruptly and glared at each of her Housemates. “How dare you? You think this funny? You can’t mistreat a student like this! It’s not right . . .” she shouted – kind of shouted. As Bennett sent her an accusatory scowl, her sudden burst of courage flew out the window and her voice turned into a squeak.

 

“Sit down, Myoui. Don’t protect that traitor,” growled Bennett. “She cost us fifty points last night for trying to get into Gryffindor – we’re going to be dead last for House Cup again. Our first Quidditch game is coming up, and Sonny was probably trying to leak all of our plays to her good pal, Yoo. Gryffindor has been dying to get back at us since they weren’t able to make it to the finals last year.”

 

“Y-you don’t know the context of why Chaeyoung was at Gryffindor,” Mina sputtered. “M-maybe she was secretly trying to help out Ravenclaw . . .”

 

“Oh? You’re on a first name basis now with Sonny? Didn’t realize you two were that close, Myoui. In fact, I thought you didn’t like the midget either. If I recall correctly, you’ve complained about how Sonny never follows the rules and should’ve – what was it? – been expelled long ago for her foolishness.

 

Mina’s cheeks flared red. Last year when Chaeyoung had another one of her mishaps (with Mina being a bystander victim), the prefect had vented to a few of her Housemates that the younger girl didn’t deserve to be at Hogwarts – especially if she gave very little care to her education! What was the point of being at school if not to learn? She was angry at the time and needed to blow off steam, but Mina didn’t realize that her words would come back to bite her.

 

The older girl glanced at Chaeyoung who hadn’t bothered to stand up and defend herself. She just sat there on the table bench, picking off the food from her small frame and doing her best to clean herself back into a presentable state. It seemed unusual for Chaeyoung to sit still as someone’s punching bag when she normally had a quite snarky mouth.

 

Mina recalled her initial impressions of Son Chaeyoung: she was stubborn, careless, rowdy, a bit idle-brained, and overall an annoying brat. And after spending a lot of time with the third-year, Mina confirmed that Chaeyoung was indeed a brat.

 

However, she learned that there was more to the younger girl. Chaeyoung may be reckless, but she was someone who was fueled by boundless passion and exhilaration. She was a child with a need to satiate her growing curiosity of the world. She was a sensitive girl who was able to sooth Mina’s fear and self-doubt, and had faith in the prefect even when Mina struggled with it herself.

 

Chaeyoung was an earnest soul at the core.

 

It hurt Mina to see the small third-year be so . . . alone. Maybe that soft spot for her companion was getting bigger.

 

Dahyun’s advice from a week ago floated back into Mina’s mind. Last night, Chaeyoung had been there for Mina, now it was the older girl’s turn to be there for her.

 

“I . . . was wrong,” Mina murmured.

 

“What was that? You’ll have to speak up if you want anyone to hear you,” Bennett mocked.

 

Mina clenched her fists and drew in a deep breath. “I said I was wrong,” she uttered in a louder and stronger voice. “It doesn’t matter whether or not Chaeyoung was assigned to the right or wrong House, she’s here with us now and that’s what counts. Regardless of last night’s events, there is never a reason or excuse to justify tormenting your own Housemate. As your prefect, I will not tolerate any of this – and to prove that I’m serious, I’m taking off fifty points from Ravenclaw for everyone’s behavior!”

 

The Ravenclaw table was stunned in silence. That was the first time anyone heard Myoui Mina speak that much or that loudly . . . like ever.

 

Bennett glowered at her. “You .”

 

“Theon, knock it off.” A lean boy with dark brown hair and handsome looks approached the scene with a disapproving frown.

 

“Captain Tuan!” Bennett exclaimed. “You heard what Sonny did, right? Are you going to kick her off the team?”

 

Mina’s heart thumped at the thought of Chaeyoung no longer having Quidditch. It would kill the girl. “You can’t do that!” she protested. “At least let Chaeyoung explain her side!”

 

“Very well,” Tuan tapped his Seeker on the shoulder, “Care to tell us, Son?”

 

Chaeyoung regarded her Quidditch Captain with unreadable, round eyes. For a moment, Mina wondered if Chaeyoung would spill everything to Tuan – give up their secrets about sneaking into the Gryffindor common room, solving clues, making a trade with a Black-Market dealer for a dragon.

 

“It’s as Myoui said, I was trying to get Gryffindor’s secrets for Ravenclaw. The game is coming up and I was worried because Jeongyeon keeps bragging about how strong her team is this season. I thought I could disguise myself and convince the Fat Lady portrait to let me into their common room,” Chaeyoung replied without wavering.

 

Sometimes it was scary how easily Chaeyoung could lie.

 

Tuan rubbed the back of his neck with his hand and sighed. “I appreciate your concern for our team, but cheating is not the way to go. We’ve been practicing just as hard as Gryffindor – if not harder. Who gives a damn if Yoo says her team is the best one they ever had? Bring it! Makes for a fun match.

 

“Ravenclaw is a great team with great players. You gotta trust in your teammates and your own abilities before you resort to morally screwed-up methods.” The older boy gazed sympathetically at Chaeyoung. “How long are you serving?”

 

“Huh?”

 

“What was your punishment?”

 

“Uhh . . . Flitwick said I have detention for the next two months, three times a week; McGonagall put me on trophy-cleaning duty – no magic and with Filch– until Christmas Break. Oh, and fifty points were docked.”

 

Tuan nodded thoughtfully. “Harsh, but appropriate. Plus, public humiliation from this knuckle-head.” He jutted his thumb over to Bennett whose face was still twisted in a sneer.

 

“Rubbish! You seriously can’t believe in that, can you Cap? She’s lying! I swear to you she’s snitching our secrets to Gryffindor!”

 

“There is no reason for me not to believe in Son’s word. The girl has certainly proven her worth with her Quidditch skills, making her valuable to our team and the match this Saturday. However, if you have an issue with my decision Bennett, you are free to leave the team.”

 

The boy seethed with silent anger.

 

“Now that this has been settled,” Tuan clapped his hands, “Time to break it up. You all have morning classes to attend to, so get on with it now.”

 

The Ravenclaw students mumbled among themselves as they emptied the table, their conversations turning to mundane topics. A few tried to approach Chaeyoung and Mina, but Tuan shooed them off. Mina was thankful that the Quidditch Captain was able to keep the nosier souls at bay.

 

Bennett sent one last spiteful glare to both girls before stalking off with a few of his mates.

 

Once the table was clear, Tuan faced Chaeyoung. “Hey, I don’t believe that you would ever betray Ravenclaw for red and gold, but I want you to know that the stakes for our match have been raised. Bennett, the others, this isn’t just something they brought up because of last night, you know. They’ve been talking about kicking you out since day one. As Captain, I can only do so much to protect you – but if it gets to a team vote, it’s out of my hands.

 

“As much as I hate to say this, you gotta bring your best to the pitch on Saturday, Chaeyoung – prove your worth. Because if we don’t win, things are going to get seriously ugly for you.”

 

Tuan was about to ruffle the Chaeyoung’s hair, but thought better of it when he saw she was still drenched in orange juice. He smiled tightly. “Best change uniforms before classes,” he advised. “Not sure if the professors would like it if you wore breakfast to their lessons.”

 

Chaeyoung muttered thanks as the older boy left, but made no move to return back to the dorms and change.

 

Mina did not bother to get to her classes either. It was funny, a month and a half ago the prefect wouldn’t have taken notice at the morning’s incident – too busy with her nose in a book or preoccupied with the day’s schedule. She would’ve scampered away to her lessons, carried on with her homework, and reminded herself of the O.W.L. review sessions with Jihyo later in the evening. The name Son Chaeyoung would’ve remained as a minor itch in the back of her mind.

 

It was funny how much could change in almost two months because now Mina’s main concern was if Chaeyoung was okay. She couldn’t leave the younger girl alone. She didn’t want to leave her alone. Not after all of that.

 

But Mina wasn’t sure how to comfort the Chaeyoung, consoling words weren’t exactly her forte. Instead she picked up a napkin and started to wipe away the leftover jam on the third-year’s face. She rubbed the corners of the girl’s mouth, passing over the mole that sat below her lips, then trailing down to her jawline. The sticky strawberry substance was stubborn so Mina pressed gently to get rid of the remnants, though she was careful not to be too rough.

 

Chaeyoung blinked several times before making a fuss. “Miiiinnnaaa,” she whined, pawing at the prefect. “Stop that. I can handle this myself! You don’t need to baby me. I not a kid, I am thirteen years old.” She said the last bit with an air of confidence like thirteen was a significant age. Perhaps to Chaeyoung, it really was.

 

“That wasn’t my intention,” said Mina. “I just – Why did you let all of those students harass you like that? It’s not like you sit back and keep your mouth shut.”

 

The third-year waved her hand dismissively. “It’s been this way since my first year, but nothing I can’t manage. Honestly, it gets old and doesn’t even bother me anymore,” she responded with conviction. “Besides, there are bigger concerns like having the second clue! I say we meet up with Dubs and Jeong during lunchtime to look it over. What do you think?”

 

When Mina didn’t answer, Chaeyoung added persistently, “Forget about this morning, I’m fine.” She stared at her Housemate straight in the eye and smiled, dimple showing. “We’ll meet at the study area during lunch then, yeah?”

 

“Y-yeah . . .”

 

“Great, I’ll make sure to tell the others.”

 

Chaeyoung skipped away, her attitude unfazed despite being this morning’s breakfast on two-legs. Mina watched as the small third-year disappeared in the crowd of students. She wanted to believe that Chaeyoung was fine, but her gut told her otherwise. Mina knew that deep down inside, this affected the younger girl a lot more than she let on.

 

/ / /

 

As the clock tower chimed, Jeongyeon packed her textbooks, parchment, and quill into her book bag. Thank goodness class was over, the sixth-year thought her brain was going to explode from all of the magical theory Professor McGonagall spouted out for the last hour. Although students of her year were dutifully preparing for their N.E.W.T.S. – particularly the practical part of the exam – Professor McGonagall deemed it necessary to also understand the mechanics of Transfiguration. The subject itself was hard enough, but listening to your teacher basically speak another language only caused Jeongyeon’s head to hurt.

 

On top of that, Jeongyeon was still trying to shake off last night’s disaster. She hadn’t counted on Jihyo being there, waiting for her no less. By some miracle, she managed to convince her Housemate to shut up and go to bed with no questions asked; though it was not without getting an earful about how she needs to make things up with Nayeon nor without suspicion. Jihyo had a knack of knowing when something was up, and she made sure to keep a close eye on Jeongyeon that morning.

 

According to Chaeyoung, she and the others were thankfully able to retrieve what they needed. Jeongyeon felt a huge wave of relief when she heard the news because she doubted she could sneak the girls in to the tower again. The kid then asked if she could meet up during lunchtime to discuss their findings. Frankly, Jeongyeon wasn’t too thrilled; she wanted to stay as uninvolved as possible. But once again, she knew that Chaeyoung needed her and obliged to the younger girl’s request.

 

“Think of it as another one of the kid’s crazy adventures,” Jeongyeon told herself as she headed towards the fourth-floor study area. The stakes are just higher. Like waaaaaay higher.

 

At least Myoui Mina was involved which eased some of the Quidditch Captain’s worries. (Although she had her misgivings with the Ravenclaw prefect being part of the mix in the first place.) Mina was a sensible and intelligent girl, and it seemed like Chaeyoung obeyed her to some extent – much more than what Dahyun, Tzuyu or even Jeongyeon herself could ever get out of the kid. She was a nice balance to the Chaeyoung’s chaotic energy.

 

But Jeongyeon still had a bad feeling about everything, and the only way she could make sure this heirloom hunt didn’t go south was to be included too.

 

Chaeyoung, Dahyun, and Mina were already at the corner table when Jeongyeon got to the study area. As usual, Mina was surrounded by books, flipping through pages and pages of something. Her eyes scanned furiously through text and cheeks puffed out in concentration. Dahyun also had a book in hand, but she seemed more intrigued with whatever Chaeyoung was talking about. The youngest was animatedly making wild gestures with her hands and her face shone like the sun. There were no books in front of her.

 

“I’m telling you, Dubs, we really should think of a name for ourselves! All good treasure hunting teams have one,” said Chaeyoung.

 

“Is that so? What would we be then?”

 

“I was thinking the Predators! Because you know, each of our Houses are predators.”

 

“Chaeng, all of the Houses’ mascots are predators. And what does that have to do with treasure hunting?”

 

“Uh, I was going for cool points. Duh.

 

Dahyun shook her head. “It sounds awful, honestly. No way. What about the Force of Four?”

 

“Ew, no! That makes us sound like a knock-off of a playing card. Or a really lame string quartet. What do you think, Mina? The Predators or Force of Four?”

 

Mina looked up from her book. “I personally think we should be called ‘Only Mina Does All of the Work Even Though There are Four People.’”

 

Both Chaeyoung and Dahyun seemed unimpressed.

 

“Nah.”

 

“Too long. It’d be a mouthful to say over and over again. What if we needed to shout it as a battle cry?”

 

“When would we need to do a battle cry?”

 

Jeongyeon chuckled over the girls’ antics as she took a seat next to Mina. She expected the prefect to scold the kid and Dahyun, but Mina just rolled her eyes. A ghost of a smile hovered on the prefect’s lips.

 

There was something different about the atmosphere since the four girls were last together at the study table. Since the time they had been at Hogsmeade, there had been a clear tension between the kid and Mina: the latter reluctant and on-edge with Chaeyoung as if she was grinding her teeth against a rock. Jeongyeon was amazed with how much self-restraint the prefect possessed because there were (several) times when she looked like she wanted to snap Chaeyoung’s head off.

 

However, today that tension had dissipated. The mood almost felt playful.

 

What a strange turn of events.

 

“All right, what are we working on, Myoui?” Jeongyeon took a glance at one of the thick books in Mina’s pile; the text looked like utter nonsense, numbers and letters spewed from top to bottom and odd diagrams scrawled on the pages too. Professor McGonagall had a rival in who could give Jeongyeon a bigger headache. “Yeesh, you actually read this stuff?”

 

“I need it for research,” Mina said simply. “We found these inside of a brick from your common room’s fireplace.” She showed Jeongyeon four circular plates and explained that together they made up a riddle with a series of numbers meant to be decoded.

 

The Quidditch Captain examined the plates one by one with fascination, stunned by the gorgeous illustrations on one side and the painted scripture on the other. She fixated her gaze on the riddle and numbers.

 

Start from nothing to the number of truth

Caesar skips A right over to the sacred root

Interpret quantity to character if you are able

Tend to m y judgement and set it stable

 

207 87312 27 17047

 

“I’ve been looking at both wizard and muggle ciphers,” the fifth-year carried on as she observed Jeongyeon. “There have been some intersections: the most common one is obviously the substitution cipher – which I assume is used here. Each number correlates to a number, though of course, the question is what aligns to what.

 

“I’ve tried the typical alpha-numerical correspondence code – where A through Z is equivalent to the numbers one through twenty-six – but it was just gibberish. Then I realized that I should be utilizing the Caesar shift based off the second line. It mentions that the letter A – which I keyed in due to its unusual capitalization – should skip a certain number of spaces over to the right, but I haven’t figured out how many yet . . . are you getting any of this?

 

“Yeah, sure. Totally,” the sixth-year said, visibly befuddled. Jeongyeon was overwhelmed with Mina’s thoroughness. She sent a look over at Chaeyoung and Dahyun who had stopped their team name talk and were now paying attention to the prefect.

 

“Don’t worry, she gets pretty geeky when it comes to these things,” whispered Chaeyoung. “Just nod and smile. It always works for me.”

 

“Excuse me, I’m not the only geek at this table,” Mina replied hotly. “Antipodean Opaleyes are known to be one of the more docile breeds of dragons,” she mimicked with a spot-on imitation of Chaeyoung’s voice.

 

“Hey! I don’t sound like that! And dragon talk is not geek talk,” Chaeyoung argued. “Why do you still remember that anyway? I said that ages ago.”

 

Mina’s face flushed. “N-no reason. At least it shows that I listen! Something that you yourself is incapable of doing.”

 

“I listen! You just never saying anything worth my time!”

 

“I’m so happy you joined, Jeongyeon,” Dahyun said as the two Ravenclaw students continued to squabble. “I don’t have to be the third wheel to these two anymore. They’ve been bickering nonstop since lunch time started. I swear my ears are going to bleed out soon.”

 

“I think the kid has finally met her match.”

 

“But at the cost of my precious ears?”

 

The sixth-year laughed at the pale girl’s dramatics. “You know, it’s kind of funny how you and I initially rejected the kid’s offer to be part of this dragon plan, but ended up being dragged into it nonetheless.”

 

“Yeah, I expect Chaeng to repay us with a lifetime supply of chocolate cauldrons,” grumbled Dahyun, though she didn’t look particularly displeased.

 

Chaeyoung and Mina’s lighthearted quarrel fizzled out (the younger sticking out her tongue at the prefect) and the four girls resumed their work on the riddle. They didn’t get very far though. Chaeyoung was more fidgety than usual and kept distracting everyone. Jeongyeon watched as her friend made tiny paper flowers from a blank roll of parchment and tried to see how many could fit in Dahyun’s nostrils. Mina immediately put a stop to it and lectured the third-year on what dangers would entail if the Hufflepuff girl had accidentally inhaled them. Jeongyeon was surprised with how tender Mina’s voice was despite reproaching her Housemate.

 

Chaeyoung pouted and crossed her arms, griping about how Mina was no fun. At first Jeongyeon thought it was a trick of the light, but she could’ve sworn she saw stray crumbs of bacon in the youngest girl’s dark hair. She wondered what kind of trouble the kid got herself in this morning.

 

When lunch time ended, the four girls bid farewell to each other and parted their separate ways. Jeongyeon and Chaeyoung were heading in the same direction much to the younger girl’s delight. Chaeyoung clung onto the sixth-year’s arm – making it difficult to walk – but Jeongyeon didn’t complain.

 

“So, you wanna tell me how today’s breakfast ended up in your hair?”

 

“I tripped?”

 

Jeongyeon stopped walking and shot her friend a look, the kind one’s mother would give when her child wasn’t telling the truth.

 

“Okay, okay. Some jerk pushed me into my food this morning. No biggie.”

 

No biggie?” Jeongyeon gasped. “Why the hell would someone do that? Who did that? Did you tell the Head Boy or Head Girl? A prefect? Does Myoui know?”

 

“Ah, yeah Mina was sitting right next to me when it happened.” Chaeyoung recounted everything from the previous night up to the morning. By the end of it, Jeongyeon didn’t know whether to pity the kid because she got caught by Filch, be impressed that she was let off without being expelled, or be furious that Ravenclaw treated their Housemate so poorly.

 

What startled her the most was that Chaeyoung didn’t sound hurt from it at all – not with the teachers, not with the harassment. Her tone indicated that she was accustomed to this toxic behavior. Jeongyeon’s blood boiled at the thought that the kid had been frequently tormented by her very own House. Part of her wanted to go and knock a few heads in Ravenclaw, but that wouldn’t solve Chaeyoung’s problems.

 

The older girl exhaled. “Life is definitely never boring with you. Good that Myoui and Tuan set those jerks straight. Now I get why she was nice to you at lunch.”

 

“Huh? Mina was being nice? Are you sure?” Jeongyeon smiled when Chaeyoung scrunched her nose, trying to recall if such a thing happened.

 

“It seems to me like you have a good friend in Myoui.” Chaeyoung’s expression grew even more confused which made Jeongyeon laugh. “Don’t think about it too hard, kid.”

 

The two stalled in front of the Defense Against the Arts room which was the next class for Chaeyoung. The younger girl was still attached to Jeongyeon’s arm. Other Ravenclaw students sent acid glares towards the pair as they entered the classroom and took their seats. They clearly did not like Chaeyoung hanging onto a Gryffindor – the Gryffindor Quidditch Captain to be exact.

 

Jeongyeon knew this wouldn’t help the kid’s current situation.

 

Chaeyoung eyed her Housemates dolefully and bowed her head. “I wish I was part of Gryffindor,” she quietly huffed as she kicked the ground.

 

The older girl grabbed Chaeyoung by the shoulders and lowered herself a little, tilting the kid’s chin upward so they could meet face-to-face. “You know Chaeyoung, you may have been sorted into Ravenclaw, but that doesn’t mean you can’t be courageous like a Gryffindor. In fact, it takes a lot of courage not slap those jerks right in the face for treating you the way they do.” Chaeyoung giggled softly. “Being in Ravenclaw doesn’t take away that there’s a strong, noble lion in that heart of yours. Stand tall, stand proud. Don’t let them get to you.”

 

Chaeyoung embraced Jeongyeon tightly, resting her head on the latter’s shoulder. “Cheesy,” she mumbled into the Quidditch Captain’s uniform. She held on for a few more seconds as Jeongyeon gently her head. Finally, she let go and heaved a sigh. “Thank you, Jeong. No need to worry about me. I’ll be fine.”

 

The third-year made her way into the classroom, turning back briefly to flash a smile at Jeongyeon. To the sixth-year though, it looked more like the kid was trying to put on a brave face before being fed to the wolves. It pained Jeongyeon that there wasn’t more she could do than offer words of reassurance. But there was hope; she saw how Mina’s view of the girl was slowly changing. Chaeyoung needed someone in Ravenclaw, someone she could trust and lean on. Jeongyeon really hoped that Mina could be that someone.

 

/ / /

 

Chaeyoung had lied to Mina. She lied to Jeongyeon. And she was lying to herself.

 

She wasn’t fine. 

 

Professor McGonagall and Professor Flitwick, the Head of Gryffindor and Ravenclaw respectively, grilled Chaeyoung for an hour after Filch turned her in. It was typical the Why did you do this? How could you do this? What were you thinking? And then those questions slowly morphed into a long lecture about Chaeyoung’s endless problematic behavior.

 

But unlike the other times when Chaeyoung was scolded by Professor McGonagall, the Transfiguration teacher’s words dripped with disappointment. The old woman shook her head, stating in a clipped tone that she was ashamed of Chaeyoung’s actions, and that this was possibly the pinnacle of embarrassment for Ravenclaw. Ever. A House of dignity! A House of aptitude! Rowena Ravenclaw would be rolling around in her grave if she knew that one of her students had the audacity to try and break into another House. Honestly, Headmaster Park should hear about this – this is serious offense. You could very well be expelled from Hogwarts, Miss Son.

 

Chaeyoung’s gut gave a violent jerk at the words of possible expulsion. Whilst she never prioritized academics, the thought of losing her only chance of getting a dragon was not a pleasant one. She needed to complete Eads’s task!

 

Fortunately, Professor Flitwick was able to talk his colleague out of taking the girl to Headmaster Park and suggested a load of detention and castle chores would suffice instead – as well as docking fifty points. (He clicked his tongue at that recommendation. Chaeyoung knew he was bitterly recalling Ravenclaw’s pitiful result of last place in the House Cup the previous year.) Professor McGonagall grudgingly agreed to Professor Flitwick’s proposal, but warned the young girl that if she were ever caught doing something like this again, no amount of detentions could save her from a visit with the Headmaster.

 

The morning after fared no better than her talk with the teachers. That slimy boy, Theon Bennett, was back with his cruel smile. He had it out for Chaeyoung ever since she snatched his spot as Seeker. Although he was able to remain on the Quidditch team as a Beater, for Bennett, it was a big demotion. Bennett slandered Chaeyoung’s name whenever and wherever he could, and the rest of Ravenclaw – with the exception of a few – learned to ignore him. Yet this time it was like Chaeyoung handed her head over to him on a silver platter. Gaaaahhhh! She just had to have the worst luck last night and be found by Mrs. Norris out of all people – er, cats.

 

Chaeyoung was appreciative of Jeongyeon’s comforting advice before her afternoon lessons. She blushed when the older girl told her she had the noble heart of a lion; hearing those words coming from someone she looked up to made Chaeyoung feel like she was soaring. She gathered up her strength and strolled into the Defense Against Dark Arts classroom, standing tall like Jeongyeon told her to. Chaeyoung ignored the whispers and stares from her Housemates . . . for a few minutes. Though she told herself that she should be use to the bullying by now, it still stung no matter how many times she endured it.

 

The day went on as any school day normally would. Chaeyoung did her best (or claimed she did) to pay attention in class, tried to not doodle on her homework before handing it in, and when the teacher called for the students to pair up, no one from her House asked to be her partner – she wound up being with someone from a different House.

 

When her schedule came to a close, she had some down time before supper and seized the chance to decompress her brain. At Hogwarts, there weren’t a lot of places where one could just relax in peace. The common rooms were often packed with people as were the study areas and the library. Dormitory rooms sometimes could be a nice place to nap, but you never knew who was going to suddenly barge in. Chaeyoung settled on going for a quick ride on her broom, the only way she could truly get any privacy.

 

Shedding her uniform and pulling on clothes more suitable to her taste, Chaeyoung sprinted to the Ravenclaw locker room where her broom was stored. She was thankful that Captain Tuan had made it a rule for players to keep their brooms there instead of their dorm rooms (for maintenance precautions), this way she didn’t have to lug it through the castle and draw suspicion upon herself. Let’s just say that spontaneous broom joyrides weren’t exactly approved by the teachers or prefects.

 

As Chaeyoung left through the locker room’s door to the outside, she swallowed a gulp of cold, autumn air. The weather was gloomy: a dark overcast hung overhead and the faint smell of rain was in the air. Stray fallen leaves crunched beneath the third-year’s shoes as she entered the pitch. It felt very different from when a match was played. The stands stood silent and barren, and the field itself seemed bigger without bodies. Stadium flags flapped with the breeze, drawing attention to its haunting emptiness.

 

It’s so lonely, Chaeyoung thought. A Quidditch pitch like this must have people to play in it. How could it bear to feel so abandoned?

 

She turned her attention to the skies above, they were an endless space of gray. Unable to hold the desire back any longer, Chaeyoung mounted her broom and kicked off. A scream of joy escaped her lungs as she zipped around the pitch. Violent rushes of wind rippled through her clothes and tangled her black hair. She flew up. She flew down. She weaved in and out of the goal posts. She circled the pitch again and again.

 

Soon Chaeyoung got bored of sticking to just the Quidditch area of Hogwarts and drifted towards the Great Lake. As she gained height, the landscape below became a mosaic of red, yellow, orange, green, and brown, stretching to the edge of the horizon. The lake itself was a dull, murky color, and its abrasive current wrinkled up the water. Chaeyoung moved in closer and reached a hand out, feeling the freezing cold waves against her skin.

 

Flying had always been natural for the young girl. From an early age on, Chaeyoung’s parents taught her how to use a broom (sooner than most students at Hogwarts, who typically learned how to fly during their first year), claiming they needed a way for their daughter to expel her restless energy. Immediately she fell in love. The freedom of being in the air gave Chaeyoung room to excite her imagination. It was like the sky was an open canvas for her to explore to her heart’s content. Even with the occasional accidents such as flying into trees or inhaling a bug, Chaeyoung would trade anything in the world so she could fly on forever.

 

Anything except her dragon.

 

Chaeyoung pulled out the Drakoscope whilst expertly balancing on her broom. The adorable fetus reptile had grown significantly over the past several weeks. Small stubs that Chaeyoung assumed were wings were forming on its back and tiny scales started to show as well. The third-year held onto the viewfinder tightly and panned it from left to right over the breath-taking scene in front of her.

 

“See this? Once you learn to fly, you’ll get to see views like this whenever you want,” she said out loud, talking to her baby dragon. “You probably will be able to soar higher than I could ever reach and travel further than I would ever dare – not with this broom at any rate.” She couldn’t help the envy and yearning seeped in her voice.

 

The girl floated in the air with the Drakoscope in hand, both taking in the October Scottish Highlands. “Maybe someday you can take me though, beyond that horizon,” she murmured under her breath. It was a silly thought, of course. Everyone knew that dragons could not be tamed (a very important fact that she was purposefully ignoring). But in her deepest desires, Chaeyoung wished that one day she could experience flying on the back of a dragon. Her dragon.

 

Chaeyoung looked back at the castle, her own House tower catching her eye. She wondered if any of the Ravenclaw students would bother look out the tall, glass windows. Maybe Mina, working so hard on the clue or her studies, would glance outside and find the third-year waving to her. Chaeyoung liked to imagine the prefect would do something like that.

 

Chaeyoung’s thoughts lingered on Mina. She was astounded that the fifth-year defended her earlier that morning. No one in Ravenclaw had ever stood up for her, and perfect Myoui was the last person she expected to be the one . . . Or perhaps at one time she believed Mina would never do such an act.

 

The complexities of Myoui Mina made Chaeyoung’s head ache.

 

Ruminating about the Ravenclaw prefect brought back all of the anxieties Chaeyoung was trying to run away from. She wanted to bury them deep within the corners of her mind and toss the shovel. It was hard when the young girl already felt like she didn’t belong, but to have several other people thinking and saying the exact same thing was devastating. It was like she had her head underwater and dozens of hands were pushing and shoving her down further to drown.

 

Chaeyoung slipped the Drakoscope back into her pocket when she heard the chime for supper. Captain Tuan had told her that she would need to play her very best in the Ravenclaw versus Gryffindor match. She tightened her grip around the broom handle, riding the wind as it carried her back to the castle.

 

She’d prove to her House that she had a place in Ravenclaw, and most importantly, she’d prove it to herself. Because if she couldn’t . . . well, Chaeyoung didn’t want to think about it.

 

 

 

Unfortunately for Chaeyoung, the harassment continued throughout the rest of the week. Mina and Captain Tuan made sure she was safe during meals and in Ravenclaw Tower, but passing time and lessons were openings. The taunts and name-calling were relentless. Once when Chaeyoung was talking to Jeongyeon, a seventh-year from Ravenclaw happened by and shouted, “Didn’t know you adopted a baby lion cub, Yoo!” The name stuck and Chaeyoung was soon dubbed as “baby cub” or “lion cub.” The nickname would’ve been cute in any other context, but it was used as a means to label the younger girl as a traitor for Gryffindor. No one ever said it in an endearing way.

 

The worst was when Chaeyoung was alone and Bennett got a hold of her. His annoying, pointy face creased as he cornered her and belittled her. The slight push here or there, or bump on the head, or sticking his foot out to trip her. With each time, he got bolder too.

 

The day before the match, Bennett shoved Chaeyoung down a flight of stairs (luckily not on one of the moving ones). The younger girl had the feeling he wanted to hurt her so she wouldn’t be able to play tomorrow. She limped into the common room, causing much distress to Mina. Her knees were bruised purple, hair disheveled, and there was an ugly scrape mark on the palm of her left hand. The prefect promptly launched into interrogation mode, asking what happened and who did it (Mina immediately presumed Bennett correctly), all whilst pampering Chaeyoung with magical healing ointment. The short girl insisted she was okay. She couldn’t let Bennett get underneath her skin, not when she had a game bright and early the following morning.

 

The next day was anything but bright though. The gray clouds had stayed, threatening an oncoming storm, as the wind brutally howled across the Highlands. Tzuyu’s one lucky mate, Chaeyoung thought bitterly. Her Slytherin friend had ideal weather conditions for her match, but here the third-year was stuck with the complete opposite.

 

The stands were jammed-pack for the second game of the season, attendees from all four Houses eager to see Ravenclaw and Gryffindor face-off. Chaeyoung recognized a couple of faces in the crowd as she marched onto the pitch. Dahyun stood up with both a Gryffindor banner and Ravenclaw banner raised high whilst Momo hollered out with enthusiasm. Even Mina made an appearance with a blue and bronze scarf wrapped around her neck, shyly accepting the eagle flag Dahyun placed in her hand. Chaeyoung was amazed that the prefect had joined; her presence made the younger girl unknowingly smile.

 

The teams gathered at the center, and the Captains graciously grasped each other’s hands. Then at the sound of the whistle, fourteen brooms took off.

 

Jeongyeon had been right: Gryffindor was good this year. Really good.

 

Chaeyoung swore under her breath as the Gryffindor Chaser, Kang Seulgi, just scored another ten points five minutes into the match. Currently, her House was trailing behind thirty points; the Gryffindor offense had been in possession of the Quaffle since the start, hurling the ball at the three posts with a ferocious hunger for victory.

 

Jeongyeon was on another level too. Chaeyoung watched in admiration as her friend knocked away Ravenclaw’s throw with the tail end of her broom and then catch it with ease as another Chaser went for the rebound. She was on fire today.

 

As the game continued, the gap between Gryffindor and Ravenclaw grew. The blue and bronze players watched in dismay as the scoreboard added yet another ten points to the lion’s side. It was now ninety to ten.

 

“TIME OUT!” Tuan shouted at Madam Hooch who was refereeing the Quidditch match again. She blew her whistle and indicated that Ravenclaw had five minutes.

 

The Ravenclaw team regrouped near their goal posts: The Chasers breathing heavily, tired from their futile shots; the Keeper looking miserable that he already let in so many goals; and the Beaters – including Bennett – in a grumpy mood. Chaeyoung flew over, also bummed at how things were going so far. Maybe she didn’t feel at home with Ravenclaw, and Gryffindor would’ve been a better fit, but that didn’t overshadow her desire to win. In fact, the idea of beating Jeongyeon and rubbing it in her face did sound like fun.

 

“Cap! This is crazy!” Bennett snapped, his hand tightly wound around his Beater club. “They’ve intercepted our passes, blocked our shots, even seen-through our decoys! It’s like they know our plays. Seems kind of fishy, doesn’t it Sonny?” He narrowed his eyes at the young Seeker while some other players concurred.

 

Or Gryffindor is a competent team and well-prepared for the match,” Tuan reasoned. “Gryffindor reading our plays is not the problem anyway, the issue is that their Keeper won’t let us score. Relying on Yoo as their main and only defense allows the Chasers to put in all of their effort in the offense – which means we’ll have to focus protecting our goal posts. Jockeying will be our best bet: let them fly around in circles without getting any good shots.” The Captain turned to Chaeyoung. “This will also mean that the score depends on you, Son. You’ll have to find the Snitch as soon as possible; we need those one hundred fifty points if we want any chance of winning.”

 

Chaeyoung tugged on her hair which was pulled back in a long, sleek ponytail. She didn’t do too well under pressure.

 

“Great, let’s just put this entire match on the shoulders of the traitor,” Bennett spat.

 

Oh, how badly Chaeyoung wanted to punch the guy in the pointy face. He probably could do with a nose-job. Who cared about all of that ‘get along with your teammates’ crap? Not if they were blatant jerks.

 

Tuan hushed Bennett and asked Chaeyoung, “Think you can do it, Son?”

 

It wasn’t like Chaeyoung had much of a choice. She tossed him a smile of reassurance – dimple included. “You can count on me.”

 

The match resumed. Chaeyoung flew around the perimeter scanning for the Snitch, but she noticed something in her peripheral vision. She turned to see the Gryffindor Seeker following like a scavenger. He waved back smugly, and Chaeyoung tried to suppress an eyeroll. He was right on her tail, but she was confident she could beat him if it came neck-to-neck. She was known for her nimble agility and speed on a broom at Hogwarts.

 

She glanced behind again and yep, the burly Gryffindor boy was still there. Seems like he wanted her to do all of the work.

 

Well, if you’re going to be like that. Chaeyoung picked up her pace and dove down to the ground, pretending like she found the Snitch. As expected, the boy shadowed her, keeping his distance close.

 

It never occurred to Chaeyoung until that moment that perhaps being good friends with Jeongyeon did have its downsides – in terms of being Quidditch rivals. For example, when the Ravenclaw Seeker pulled upward in attempt to fake-out, the Gryffindor boy followed with ease. She tried another fake-out. And another. And another. Each time, the Gryffindor Seeker kept up like he knew it was coming.

 

“Can’t lose me, Son,” he laughed. “Captain Yoo warned me of this little habit of yours; zig and zag all you want, but I’m here to stay. Better put that energy into searching for the Snitch instead.”

 

Bloody hell.

 

“Fine, I’ll grab the Snitch anyway,” Chaeyoung muttered to herself.

 

It wasn’t long before the young girl spotted the tiny golden ball buzzing near the Ravenclaw goal posts. Chaeyoung’s heart stopped for a brief second. This was it.

 

Chaeyoung flattened herself against her broom and zoomed towards the Snitch – the Gryffindor Seeker sped up too, moving in close on her left side – “C’mon, c’mon,” she whispered, urging her broom to move faster – Chaeyoung scooted forward so she could stretch out her arm – her fingers grazed the Snitch, she could feel it in her grasp . . .

 

CRASH!

 

Chaeyoung shrieked as she collided with the Ravenclaw Keeper who was going after the Quaffle at the highest goal post. They tumbled in the air, both desperately holding onto their brooms.

 

The sound of Madam Hooch’s whistle rang across the pitch. “Match over! Gryffindor wins!” she announced. Chaeyoung whipped her head back to see the Gryffindor Seeker triumphantly raising his fist in the air, the Snitch’s wings clearly beating in his grip.

 

Roars of joy ripped through the Gryffindor team and crowd. The Ravenclaw players returned to ground with sullen expressions. Both teams lined up to shake hands: Gryffindor cheerfully complimented their opponents on the good match whilst Ravenclaw was barely able to reply, too stunned with their first loss of their first game.

 

When Chaeyoung went up to Jeongyeon, the Gryffindor Captain brought the girl into a half-hug. “Almost had it there, kid. Tough luck that you and your Keeper crashed into each other.” The adrenaline had dissolved and everything sunk in. Jeongyeon’s words were like big, fat reality check smacked the third-year right in the face.

 

That’s right. Chaeyoung almost had the Snitch in her hand. Ravenclaw almost won. She had been so close . . .

 

Chaeyoung couldn’t meet the eyes of any of her teammates as they entered the locker room. Everyone was dead silent.

 

Finally, Captain Tuan spoke. “Well team, we all knew that Gryffindor would be a tough opponent this year. I thought that the match wasn’t too shabby, the score was only two-hundred sixty to thirty – we actually got a few past Yoo. Shame that they were able to get those ten points in the last couple of seconds. We still get to play them again this season –”

 

“Cut the bull, Cap,” Bennett interrupted angrily. “We could’ve won – we should’ve won – and we all know why we didn’t.” Even the Quidditch Captain couldn’t help but look at Chaeyoung. “Sonny doesn’t belong on the team; we can’t trust her! How do we know that she didn’t intentionally sabotage the match by purposefully ramming into our Keeper? Especially when all Rosario was trying to do was save a goal.”

 

“That’s ridiculous! I was going for the Snitch,” growled Chaeyoung. “It was in my hand, I swear!”

 

“Yet somehow we lost. We lost to the House with one of the lousiest Seekers. The fact is Sonny, the Snitch wasn’t in your hand, it was in Gryffindor’s. If you can’t deliver results, then what’s the point?” Bennett pointed directly at the younger girl and then turned to the rest of the team. Every player drank in what he said. “The Ravenclaw Quidditch team deserves better than a player whose loyalties are questionable and skills are second-rate. A reliable Seeker wouldn’t have interfered with the Keeper. A capable Seeker would’ve caught the Snitch. We have a Cup to defend this year. Do you all really believe that we can do that with Sonny on the team?”

 

There was a muffled murmur of agreement. Chaeyoung frantically looked at Captain Tuan for help, yet the Ravenclaw boy only gazed back with restrained disappointment. She could see it in his eyes that he wanted to win the Cup again, it was his final year. He had so much hope for her to do well and she failed.

 

“I call for a team vote to determine Son Chaeyoung’s status on the Ravenclaw Quidditch team,” declared Bennett.

 

Chaeyoung felt the pit of her stomach drop. No one argued against Bennett’s proposal, and even Captain Tuan relented to the Beater.

 

“All in favor to let Sonny remain on the team?”

 

Only Chaeyoung raised her hand high. Captain Tuan slowly raised his as well, but it was hesitant.

 

“All in favor to dismiss Sonny from the team?”

 

The rest of the players lifted their hands.

 

“Seems like the votes are in, Sonny.” Bennett didn’t even have the grace to constrain his glee. “You’re off the team!”

 

Chaeyoung wasn’t much of a crier and she didn’t want to give Bennett the satisfaction to see her sob like a child, but tears welled up in her eyes and her bottom lip quivered. Never in her life had she ever felt smaller. She dodged Captain Tuan’s outstretched hand. She drowned out his sympathies and empty excuses. She shied away from Bennett’s icy blue stare doused in sadistic gratification.

 

One step . . .

 

It was getting hard to breath, air was trapped in . 

 

Two steps . . .

 

She couldn't stop shaking.

 

Three steps . . .

 

Chaeyoung slowly backed away from her teammates. No, ex-teammates.

 

Bennett cackled. “That’s it lion cub, run away – go back to Yoo and the other Gryffindors. There’s no place for you here in Ravenclaw. There will never be.”

 

Chaeyoung reached the locker room doors and took off. Tears blurred her vision and stung her cheeks as she tore through the castle corridors. Chaeyoung! Chaeyoung! She barely heard her name be called out. A familiar, concerned voice that had been warm to her over the past several days.

 

Mina.

 

But the young girl ignored the prefect and rushed past her.

 

There was nothing Mina could do. Chaeyoung had been kicked off the Quidditch team; the one thing that made her think that maybe, just maybe, she could find a home in Ravenclaw. But it was as she had always suspected: The Sorting Hat made a mistake.

 

And now her heart was shattered into a million pieces.

 


A/n: This was a busy chapter with some soft moments like No Jam Bros (I'm a huge er for them) and some not-so-soft moments. Ouch. As a Ravenclaw, I kind of made Ravenclaw full of jerks . . . Oops. I swear I love my House and I'm loyal!!

 

Anyway, Happy Chaeyoung Birthday Month!!! If you can't tell already, I'm a hardcore Chaeng stan (my ult) and I'm so stoked that she's been getting the attention she deserves. Oh Boy! magazine 15 page photoshoot spread and interview! Chaeyoung TV! Chaeyoung Vlog! She be celebrating her birthday soon! Let's hope there's justice for her in the upcoming comeback. 

 

Thanks for the support as usual! The comments make me super happy so I appreciate those who take their time to share their thoughts.

 

Remember to please send in your votes for The Predators, Force of Four, or Only Mina Does All of the Work Even Though There are Four People to decide the name of the JeongMiDubChaeng Treasure Hunting Team.

 

Cheers!