Meeting Prince Charming

Closing the Gap Between Us

☆빅스Biased on Twitter: "[PIC/PRESS] 150917 #VIXX #KEN Musical Cinderella  (cr:as tagged) http://t.co/jgNbwqA4cE"Ken cinderella musical | Vixx, Vixx ken, Kpop guys빅스Biased on Twitter: "[PIC/PRESS] 150917 #VIXX #KEN Musical Cinderella  (cr:as tagged) http://t.co/pl2IpKGRFq"

Use these to visualize the scenario below. This is how Jae Hwan looked in the scene.

 

“It’s really you,” Jae Hwan said as soon as their eyes met. 

It’d been so long since they last saw each other face to face, three years and four months to be precise. All of a sudden, everything came rushing back like a movie being played in fast forward. He remembered the day when they first met, those carefree days when both of them were still in middle school, the day when he confessed his love to her, their first date, their first kiss, and the day when their relationship went down the drain. Seeing her face for the first time since they broke up felt peculiar. Jae Hwan was overwhelmed with mixed emotions. He felt happy, awkward and sad at the same time. Happy because the person that he longed for was right in front of him. Awkward because he didn't know what to say to her and sad because they were once so close, but now, it was the exact opposite. 

His eyes filled as he spoke, “It’s been a while…Ning-,” he paused. Calling her nickname did not feel right at that moment. “Hani.” He corrected himself. 

“Yeah…” She answered softly, almost like a whisper. Looking up at him from such a close distance felt surreal. Her heart ached at the sight of him. She could hear the loud thumping sound of her heart in her ears as her breathing became uneven. Her eyes began to lose focus and instantly, darkness crept into her vision.

“Hani?! Are you okay? Can you hear me?” 

Hani’s hearing became muffled when Jae Hwan was calling out for her, and soon, everything went silent. Before she collapsed to the ground, Jae Hwan caught her just in time. Her face was so pale, and blood was flowing out from her foot. Without wasting time, he carried her in his arms and went backstage to find medical supplies.


When Hani regained consciousness, she realized she was lying on a couch, and Jae Hwan was beside her treating her wounds. Gently, he wrapped a gauze bandage over her foot, trying his best not to cause her any more pain. She gazed at him and noticed that he looked much more mature now. His face was sharper; his dark brown hair with a hint of red under the lights perfectly combed to the side; his shoulders were broader than before, and his ancient royal costume also contributed to his physical maturity. Prince Charming was all she could think of when she was admiring his visuals. It was as though he came straight out of a fairy tale book. He was no longer that kiddo she once knew. 

“You’re awake,” Jae Hwan said when he saw her eyes wide open, staring in his direction.

Feeling shy that she was caught in the act while stealing glances at him, she quickly shifted her gaze and looked elsewhere besides him. Hani could feel her face burning. 

“Are you having a fever?” Jae Hwan asked as he placed his hand on her forehead to check her temperature. “Why is your face so red?” He looked at her, his face filled with concern.

When Hani felt his touch, she froze. She mentally begged herself to calm down.

“I’m okay,” she said, trying to stay cool while her head started to form cold sweat.

Jae Hwan immediately took off his long white coat and wrapped it around her slender figure before he got up to the water dispenser.

“Drink this,” he said as he placed a cup of warm water in her hands. “It will make you feel better.” 

Hani looked up at his face, then looked down at the cup of water. Without her knowing, a smile began to form on her lips. “Thank you.”

"No problem," he replied. His eyes were fixed on her when she was sipping the warm water. Slowly, he raised his hand to her face and pushed a strand of her hair to the back of her ear. Silence filled the air the moment she glanced up and their eyes locked. “I miss you,” he blurted out.

Stunned, Hani did not know how to react to his sudden confession. When she was about to open to reply, someone barged into the room.

“Ken! What are you doing? I’ve been waiting for you for so long. Don’t tell me you still can’t find your slippers,” the intruder spoke. “Oops, I didn’t know you had company, my apologies,” he quickly added when he caught sight of a girl sitting next to Ken.

“Er, I found it; it’s over there.” Jae Hwan/Ken pointed at the shoebox under the dressing table. He turned to face Hani and continued, “Manager-nim, this is Hani, my…” He paused for a moment, then said, “Close friend.”

“Oh, nice to meet you, Hani. I’m Ken’s manager,” the manager introduced himself as he extended his hand to her.

“Nice to meet you too,” she replied while shaking his hand. Unsure what to do next, she said, “Actually, I have to leave now. It's kinda late.” Hani looked around to find her shoe so she could get going. When she saw it, she picked it up to wear, but Jae Hwan stopped her.

“I think it’s better if you wear these instead,” he said while he went to grab his shoebox. 

When he opened it, it revealed a cute pair of slippers covered with the Disney character, Mickey Mouse. Jae Hwan then took them out, lifted her foot, and placed one of his slippers carefully on her bandaged foot. Hani still had one of her shoes on her other foot, and so Jae Hwan replaced it with his.

“There you go,” he said after he put her shoes in his shoebox and gave it to her. 

“Thanks, Jae Hwan.” Hani was touched by his kind gesture. She held the shoebox tightly as she stood up. “I got to go now.” 

“We can give you a ride,” Jae Hwan offered. “Where do you live?”

“Oh, it’s okay,” she said as she explained that she rented an apartment far from this place.

“Don’t worry about it,” he insisted. “We’re heading that way too.”

“Umm, are you sure, Ken?” his manager asked, his face filled with confusion.

“Yeah. I’m very sure,” Jae Hwan reaffirmed. “We are going to pass by that area, remember,” he emphasized while eyeing his manager, hoping he got his signal.

“Oh... Right, now, I remember,” Ken’s manager replied while giving him a funny look.

Jae Hwan secretly thanked his manager for acting along. He then looked at Hani for her approval. Hani couldn’t say no to him at that moment when he was staring at her; his eyes sparkled with anticipation. Even though time had passed and Jae Hwan was older now, certain things did not change. It reminded her of the day when he confessed his love to her. He wore the same expression while he waited nervously for her reply.

“Okay then, I’ll go with you,” she finally said.


Jae Hwan guided her to the carpark with his arm around her shoulders, supporting her, while she walked with a limp. With the help of her saviour, she managed to get into his big black van without hurting her foot. The inside of the van was spacious and comfortable. As soon as they settled in, 4Men’s Baby Baby was playing on the radio (For better effects, you can search this song up on YouTube and listen to it while reading). It started with the sound of the piano playing in the background. Hani and Jae Hwan were sitting side by side, and a wave of nostalgia came over them as they listened quietly to the music. 

Hani recalled that Jae Hwan sang this song during a competition. It was also one of his favourite songs from the past. She closed her eyes, and her memory flashed back to when young Jae Hwan was on the stage. Suddenly, she was brought back to reality when she heard his sweet voice singing softly. Hani opened her eyes to see if Jae Hwan was really singing or her mind was playing tricks with her. To her relief, she was not hallucinating; he was indeed singing along to the song. His eyes closed, body swaying to the rhythm of the music as he sang. Seeing him singing with his heart never failed to fascinate her. Hani glanced out the window at the sky filled with twinkling stars. Her eyes began to feel heavy as she drifted into her dreams while listening to his soulful voice.

As Jae Hwan was singing, he realized that the lyrics of the song were relatable to him. This song perfectly described how he felt for Hani. He turned to gaze at her, who fell asleep on his shoulder. His heart melted. He couldn’t take his eyes off her as he gently caressed her hair, afraid to wake her up. 


Hani jolted up from her sleep and came to realize that the van had stopped moving. They had reached her apartment.

“Oh, we’re here. I didn’t even know that I slept. I’m sorry,” she said sheepishly, her face flushing. 

Jae Hwan chuckled at the sight of her. “It’s okay,” he reassured her. “You look so tired. That’s why I didn’t want to wake you up,” he explained.

“Oh…” She replied as she quickly fixed her hair and her glasses. “Thank you so much for driving me home,” she said to Jae Hwan and his manager as she got out of the van. “Oh ya, and this.” Hani took off Jae Hwan’s long coat and passed it to him. “Thanks.” She smiled at him. 

“You're welcome.” He smiled back at her. 

As Hani started to walk away, she noticed that she was still wearing his slippers. She stopped and turned around. “You’re slippers!”

“Keep them,” Jae Hwan answered. “Or you can return to me when we meet again.”

“And when is that?” She asked, genuinely curious.

“Soon.”


When Hani went into her room, the clock showed 12 am. She laid on her bed, still thinking about her conversation with Jae Hwan. That night felt magical to her. It was like a dream come true. 

“Soon…” She mumbled to herself. The corner of turned upwards as she slowly closed her eyes.


 

*Note*

JAEHWAN'S IN MICKEY MOUSE SLIPPERS | VIXX Amino Amino

The Mickey Mouse slippers in the scene were based on this picture.

 

Ken also mentioned before that 4Men's Baby Baby is one of his favourite songs from the past. Here is the link to the article talking about it. - https://www.kpopstarz.com/articles/178415/20150226/vixx-choose-their-favorite-childhood-songs-in-1theks-ask-in-a-box.htm