The Gap

Closing the Gap Between Us

...One year and one month later...

As Hani entered her car, she switched on the radio.

"You're listening to MBC Radio. Today, we have invited one of the most trending idol groups in 2013, VIXX! They have just released a new song, 'I Don't Want to Be an Idol'," the radio host said.

Hani quickly turned the volume louder.

"Annyeonghaseyo, we are Real V! V-I-X-X, VIXX!" VIXX greeted with enthusiasm.

"I have heard that this song was written by Ken."

"Yes, that's right," Ken replied.

"Can you tell us more about this song."

"This is a song that describes about an idol who is not allowed to be in a romantic relationship and has to let go of his lover but he promises her that when he becomes more famous, he will reveal her to the world."

"Did you write this song based on your true experience?"

"To be frank, yes. I used to have a girlfriend before my debut. Even though we have broken up, I still think about her and I hope that she is listening to the radio right now because I want her to know that this song is for her."

"Oh woah, that is so sweet. Do you have anything else to say to her through the radio?"

"Ning Ning, bogoshipda."

Every word that he said struck Hani's heart. When he called her nickname, she could no longer hold back her tears. She missed him so much.

"Thank you, Ken for sharing with us. Now, let's listen to 'I Don't Want to Be an Idol' live on air."

The music started to play and Ken began to sing. Tears rolled down her cheeks as she listened to his sweet and soothing voice.


 Here is the link to the video of Ken and Leo singing 'I Don't Want to Be an Idol' live at MBC Simsimtapa Radio. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDnPB9hcp6w 


...About 8 months ago...

Jae Hwan was finally chosen to be the last member of VIXX.

"Congratulations, Jae Hwan," the CEO of Jellyfish Entertainment said. "Now, you go by your stage name, 'Ken'.

Jae Hwan was beaming with joy. "Thank you very much. I will do my best and improve myself to become an outstanding idol."

"This is your contract but before you sign, I have one condition." The CEO had a stern look on his face as he said, "As an idol, you're not allowed to be in a romantic relationship as it will interfere with your career. I hope you understand."

"W-what?" Jae Hwan stammered as his smile disappeared. 

"You can't have a girlfriend if you want to be an idol."

Jae Hwan's heart sank. I don't want to lose Hani but music is important to me as well. What am I supposed to do?

He was not ready to let go of Hani or his music career and so he decided to date Hani secretly. Unfortunately, his dating scandal started to spread like wildfire. The title of the latest entertainment article was typed in bold.

Rookie group, VIXX's Ken was caught on camera holding a girl's hand in public.

The phone rang and Jae Hwan immediately picked it up. "Hello? Ning Ning? I've been trying to contact you all day. Are you okay? I'm so worried about you."

"I'm fine," she replied in a monotone. "I saw the news."

"About that, I have a plan. We just have to be extra careful next time."

"That's not a plan. They're going to find out sooner or later no matter how hard we try to hide."

"You're right," he agreed. "I'll tell them the truth. I'll let them know that you're my girlfriend."

"No! Are you out of your mind?! If you tell them that, Jellyfish Entertainment might terminate the contract." With a heavy heart, she said, "Let's break up."

Jae Hwan froze. "What?" He could not believe his ears. "Listen to me, it's only been a month since they announced my debut. They won't terminate the contract now."

"I don't want to take the risk, Jae Hwan," she explained. "I know that being an idol has always been your dream ever since you were in middle school. You're very talented and you deserve to shine on the stage. You have just started your music career and I don't want anything to stop you from living your dreams." Her voice cracked as she continued, "I don't want to hold you back."

"What's the point of living my dreams when you're not here with me?" His voice was chocked with emotions as he pleaded desperately, "Please don't do this. I'm sure there's another way. I want to talk to you face-to-face. Where are you now?"

"No, we shouldn't meet up. There are cameras everywhere. Things will get complicated. I've been thinking about this matter the whole day." She paused for a moment trying to suppress all the emotions that were welling up inside her. "It's best for us to go our separate ways."

She hung up before she burst into tears.

Back then, there was always a gap between them because they were afraid to confess their feelings. Now, even when they clearly knew how they felt, the gap between them grew larger and larger.