An Explanation

Please Stay

 

            Laying in the slightly plush hospital bed, Ok Taecyeon stared at the ceiling above him.  Uncomfortable, he reclined his bed at twenty degrees.  After shifting around, he was still unsure so he reclined the bed again to forty-five degrees.  Despite this change, something still was not right.  Then again nothing was right these days.  From that night to the airport to the crash… THE CRASH!

            Reminded of his Gyuri, Taecyeon tried to shoot out of bed to find her.  However, he felt a bunch of wires and tubes attached to him.  This held him back.  Then he remembered that the doctor promised to bring Gyuri first as requested.  That slightly relieved him that she was fine, but they still needed to discuss about what happened.  Confused and uncomfortable, Taecyeon fiddled with the bed’s position for a few moments.

            Suddenly the door opened and Dr. Song Seungheon returned.

            “Mr. Okay, Ms. Park is here like you requested,” Dr. Song let his patient know.

            Fingers stopped toying with the remote, “Thank you Dr. Song, can we talk alone?”

            Nodding his head, the doctor allowed the patient’s guest into the room.  From the moment she entered, Gyuri ran to Taecyeon’s side.

            “Taecyeon!  Are you okay?  Are you still sore?” Gyuri was frantic as she inspected the injured man.  Her hands pulled back his hair to find bandages on his face.  There was one on his forehead.  Then she checked his arms, for which she the cast on his left side.  Seeing this made her tear up.  However, Taecyeon wiped it away.

            “Please don’t cry,” he was saddened seeing her like this.  “How are you?  I see a few scratches.  Does it hurt?”

            Touching his bandages, Gyuri responded, “I’m fine, still we need to talk.  I was too emotional earlier, but I’m better now.”

            Now Taecyeon was frozen.  Time stood still, but his heart beat faster.  He needed to tell her the truth.  Yet the truth was so foggy to him too.  Would she understand him.  Even he had a difficult time comprehending it.

            “Taecyeon what do you mean by might?”

            “That night…”

A few nights ago

            The trial was almost over that day.  All the examinations and arguments were stated.  It was all up to the jury at this point.  Ok Taecyeon watched the trial as much as he was allowed to.  Encased in the wooden walls of the court room, he transformed.  Each examination answered a new question.  Each argument gave him something to reflect on.

            At the beginning of the trial, Ok Taecyeon had some anger and resentment stored.  Despite slowly trying to rid himself of these negative energies, especially with the help of Gyuri, they stuck with him.  These couple of years, he had to be deprived of freedom.  He had ridden himself in guilt.   Early on, there were moments when he almost thought about giving up because of the stress and pain this situation unleashed on him.  Then he met Gyuri and things changed.  Times became happier.  Soon the problem was solved and the real killer was found.  Taecyeon had a grudge towards this Lee Joon.

            However, the trial transformed him.  Instead of wanting to get this bastard who ruined his life, he became “unusual.”  He started to see this killer as someone to sympathize for.  This kid was young and lost.  Unfortunately, he was mid-guided into this direction and would face missing out on life’s opportunities.  Why did the world play tricks like this on him?  Feeling sorry for the bad guy?  Puzzled by this, Taecyeon decided to drink something.  He was not an alcoholic, but he needed something to temporarily rid him of his problems.

            That night Taecyeon went out with Jinwoon, his friend who assisted him earlier.  First they visited the sights of the new Legacy Towers hotel construction for Taecyeon’s grandpa.  It was going to be the first hotel in America that the family was going to run.  After being impressed by the progress and possibilities of the future hotel, they ate at Hive, a small, but popular bar known for their variety of spins on drinks and delicious food.

            Situated at the back of the bar in a spacious booth, they were cozy.  Soft rock music played in the background, while the TV would play sports.  Their seats were worn out leather, but that made it even more comfortable to sit in.  The wooden table had a paper cover, so people would write on it.  While waiting for their food, Taecyeon and Jinwoon would read what others wrote.

            “Call me – Janice D. 384-092 … uhm can’t read the last number,” Jinwoon was confused as he tried to read the last part.  “Is that a four or nine?”

            Taecyeon took a look himself, “Hmmm… not sure, I’ll say nine.”

            “I hope you’re right, I was going to call her,” Jinwoon was bummed.

            “Why? You’ve never met this Janice.”

            “I know, but look… It says hot and looking for someone for the night,” Jinwoon pointed out.

            Seeing the message, Taecyeon shook his head, “You should just look for someone.  Instead of picking up anyone with a pair of legs.”

            “Well look at you.  I guess dating has changed you my dear friend,” Jinwoon pat his friend on the shoulder.  “Her name is Gyuri?  Right?”

            The proud boyfriend nodded his head, “Yeah, she beautiful, smart, kind, has all the qualities of the perfect one.”

            As Taecyeon was talking, Jinwoon noticed the way his eyes would brighten.  His hands were more animated.  Smiles were wider and more genuine.  Now Taecyeon was much happier and was at a good stage of his life.

            “I’m proud of you, she seems great,” Jinwoon congratulated his friend.  “She seems like the one… speaking of which… I think I may have found mines…”

            His eyes were captured by a beautiful woman who was drop dead stunning.  She was petite, with a slight lift by killer heels.  Her sleek short light brunette hair accentuated her chocolate eyes.  Lips were pressed with a shining pink.  That slight tan glowed her body.  There was something demure and mysterious about her, but a iness that caught Jinwoon.

            “Go talk to her man,” Taecyeon slapped his friend back to reality.

            Excited with a wide grin on his face, Jinwoon dashed to the girl’s side.  Standing next to her, he was nervous.  However, he needed to be courageous.  He cleared his throat and blinked.

            “Hi the name’s Jung Jinwoon Jung.”

            The girl smiled back at him and purred, “India.”

            Watching the scene, Taecyeon was proud of his younger friend.  That guy needed a special someone in his life.  Then he chuckled to himself.  The last time he saw Jinwoon, he was against “heavy” commitment.  Sure he dated Yubin, but it was not all too serious for him.  Now he considered the idea of commitment and a future with someone.  What a difference someone could make.

RING

            Taecyeon realized that he received a message.  Strange, he did not recognize the number.  Still he decided to read it, since he tend to have assorts of people talk to him.  Who knows, it could be work related.  There was a text.

Can’t believe you didn’t find out.

            Weird…find out about what?  There were some pics…Taecyeon decided to see the images.  After they downloaded to his phone, he opened them.   Oh no… maybe it was not the best idea.  There they were.

            His girlfriend was kissing Eunhyuk.  Eunhyuk was kissing his girlfriend.  They were kissing each other.  Could this be happening?  Her body was underneath Eunhyuk’s.  Lips touching.  Hands roaming.  What was this?  Was this right?

            Sitting there and seeing these photos, Taecyeon did not know what to do.  HE wanted to call Gyuri.  His fingers were ready to dial.  However, he had no idea what to say.  Part of him was angry.  Part was sad.  Part was lost.  How should he react?  Talk to her?  Yell at her?  Then he realized that he did not want to talk to her.  He was not I his right mind.

            “Taecyeon?”  a soft voice called out to him.

            “Oh… hi Yoona,” Taecyeon sounded dejected.

            Yoona was there in a red top and black mini skirt with matching black heels.  Her hair was in waves, giving a bounce.  She looked great, but she was not like his Gyuri.  The expression on her face was concerned.

            “I notice you’ve been staring at your phone,” the doe eyed beauty noted to the confused lovesick boy.

            Taecyeon stared at his phone for a few moments.  He stayed silent.  Then he turned it on sleep and placed it in his pocket.  “It’s nothing.”

            “How about I get you a drink?  If you won’t tell me anything, then at least drink something.”

            Unsure Taecyeon was quiet, but Yoona stood up anyways.  She decided to get him something strong.  He needed it.  Once she left, Taecyeon went back to his phone.  On his homescreen was a picture of him and Gyuri kissing.  That day they went to Lotte World with all their friends.  While everyone went on the giant roller coaster, they stayed behind and ate a giant cotton candy.  Why did relationships have to be so complicated?  Thinking that to himself, Taecyeon slumped in his chair.

Then he opened those dreaded photos again.  He had to see them for some reason.  Reopen those wounds.  He had no idea why.  Suddenly he noticed something.

            There was a light black stream down Gyuri’s cheek.

            “I’m back!”

            Taecyeon looked up.  In both hands appeared to be two glasses of soju with different colors.  One was green.  The other white.

            “I have a whiskey and soju.  Your choice,” Yoona was excited.

            “I’ll take a soju.”

            “Well here you go,” Yoona served him the green liquid.  She lifted her glass, “Cheers.”

            “Same to you,” Taecyeon raised his glass and drank it all.  There was a sweet taste like relief from a dry heat, but it was still bitter.  The power of soju.  Then odd flavor made Taecyeon nip his tongue, “So different.”

            “I know right?” Yoona added her two cents, “Refreshing though right?”

            Jinwoon finally returned with his new companion.  Both had smiles on their faces after some dancing.  After they seated themselves, the proud detective introduced his new friend.

            “Taecyeon, this is India.  India this is Taecyeon?”

The beautiful petite woman stretched out her arm.

            “Pleasure to meet you.”

            “Same here,” Taecyeon nodded back and shook her hand.

            As Taecyeon finished the introductions, a sharp pain tortured his head.  Things started to blur.  He did not have a clear sense of what was happening.  There was no control.  However, he had something on his mind.

Gyuri

            “Oh yeah look at this guy chugging down this soju!

We need to talk about this

            “Are you okay?”

            I’m sorry for getting angry without listening to you.

            The next morning Taecyeon woke up with a major migraine.  From he moment he opened his eyes, he used his arm to shield them from the sun’s brightest rays.  He was .  Odd.  Was it already morning?  How did he return to his room?”

            Then he heard a groan. 

It sounded y and feminine.

It sounded very close to him.

What did he do?

            Freaking out, Taecyeon leaned over to the sleeping body next to him.  It could not be his Gyuri.  Slight waves. 

It was Yoona.  .

“Yoona what are you doing here?” Taecyeon yelled.

Immediately waking up, she stared at the bewildered man with confusion, “ Don’t you remember last night?”

“Yeah, I was out with Jinwoon.”

            “And you slept with me”

That could not be.  Taecyeon’s mind was racing.  That was not possible.  Yet the evidence was clear.  Clothes were strewn across the floor.  Alcohol fuelled parties.  bodies.  Still, this could not be.

“We did nothing last night,” Taecyeon was firm in his beliefs.

“Yes, we did.  I could tell you were even screaming Gyuri.  Last night.  Last time I checked that wasn’t my name.”

“I would never do this.  I love her too much to hurt her like this.”

Boiling up, Yoona exploded, “You know what!  I am sick of you not accepting what happened.  I’m going to find her and tell her everything.”

           

Gyuri pulled herself back and took a step away from the injured man.  Tears filled his eyes.  Cheeks were red.  Her body was trembling.  She opened , but nothing came out for a few moments.  Then she took a deep breath.

“Did you only tell me because she threatened to do so,” Gyuri was monotone.  She could not look at him.

“No it’s because I promised not to hide anything,” Taecyeon explained.

“It looks like you did it.”

“I don’t remember any of that.  I know it looks so, but I would never do anything that hurtful,” Taecyeon tried to get out bed.  He just wanted to run to her to explain this.

Seeing his excitement, Gyuri put her hands on him to ease him.  His heart was beating at a ferocious speed and he was going beyond the physical limits.  “Taecyeon, I’m still upset right now.  I don’t know what to believe.  However, I mostly forgive you.  Still, I am unsure if I can trust you.”