Kimchi Fried Rice

Please Stay

 

            Taecyeon woke up that morning feeling up lifted.  It was as though a huge weight was released from him.  This feeling was so strange and foreign.  It was so welcoming.  It was all thanks to the one in his arms.

            Gyuri still held on to him since last night.  She was so warm, soft, and light like fresh cotton candy.  Sweet like it too.  Staying with him last night, she allowed him to release his pain unto her.  Near her eyes were some tear marks.  Taecyeon wiped his thumb over them.  She was willing to take his pain.  Could she handle it?  She can withstand him.  She is strong.  He did not want to drag her through so much.  She dealt with him, was that not enough?

            Breathing ever so lightly, Gyuri slept like an angel.  Taecyeon combed his fingers through her silky hair, and watched her for a few more moments.  Falling again into deep thoughts, he wondered about their relationship.  He let her in, was it right?  What was the next step?

            Letting go of her, he gently laid her head on a pillow.  Before he left the room, he gingerly placed a fleece blanket on her.  She slightly moved and tried to grasp onto the blanket.  To this, he tucked her in.  Everything about her was lovely, why did he not appreciate this earlier?

            Even though he was wide awake, Taecyeon stumbled on the couch in his living room.  Yesterday was surreal.  Yoona.  He should had known that everything was going to haunt him.  Whether he liked it or not.  Was karma ready to punish?  He should not had left.  He should have stayed.  He should had something.  He ran away like a coward.

            It was inevitable the past would catch up to him.  Yoona was here.  When did she come back to Korea?  Was she here for him?  Was she after him?  Was she the karma ready to punish him?  If she wanted revenge, it would not had shocked him.  Yoona was Yubin’s best friend.

            Back in the states, they were best friends.  Taecyeon had to admit that Yubin flourished, while Yoona floundered.  Both were quite different.  Yubin came from a middle class Korean immigrant family in Los Angeles.  Yoona was from a wealthy family in Seoul, who studied in LA.  Taecyeon always knew about Yoona’s prosperity, but he did not care because there was nothing that caught his attention.  Back that Yoona was a loner.  Shy, awkward, and nervous, Yoona hid herself behind coke-rimmed glasses and Sunday school teacher clothing.  It was hard to believe that Yoona and Yubin had been best friends.  Hot and the center of attention, Yubin was one of the most desirable women.  Now the same could be said for Yoona.

            Yesterday she was not the weird third wheel he remembered her as.  It was like a complete 180.  However, he could still recognize Yoona despite her change.  She was like a supermodel.  Tall in her five inch heels, glasses free, doe eyed, and dressed in eye popping classy designer goods, Yoona was jaw dropping.  Before the old Yoona would not approach anyone.  Now she was cheery and outgoing.  Yoona was now considered a respectable member in the popular elite society.  Despite her rise, how could Taecyeon not had known of her presence.  That was his own fault for trying to push the situation away.  He should had prepared himself in some way.

            What to do now?  Taecyeon had so many questions.  Why was Yoona attacked?  Who killed Yubin and Donghae?  Was he still suspect number one? 

            As much as Taecyeon wanted to ask these questions to Jinwoon, he cut all ties with LA the moment his plane took off.  Yoona was his source of answers.  Talking to her was his only way of finding out.  Yet how should he initiate it?

            So lost in thought, he did not notice Gyuri watching him from the doorway of his living room.  Despite last night’s conversation, Gyuri was not sure how to approach him.  He always thought to himself.  He held things to himself.  Last night was a different story though.  He let it out.  She decided to talk to him.

            Plopping on the seat next to him, Gyuri had a grin that was so sweet, “Morning.  Are you feeling better?”

            Better?  Hard to say.  He was more than wonderful finding her, but it scared him.  Allowing someone so close.  Last night he did confess some of his feelings, still he was afraid.  He did not want to cause trouble and pain.  He wanted to protect her.  Giving a half-hearted smile, Taecyeon squeezed Gyuri’s hand, “I’m fine.”

            His eyes did not match his words, “No you’re not.”

            He was caught, “No, I am good.”

            She could not believe he was reverting, “I thought you would tell me everything.  Like I told you last night, tell me your wishes, your fears, your passions.  I will always listen.  I will always be there-”

            Taecyeon cut her off, “I did not say out loud-”

            “You know that we did not need to say anything.  No words had to be spoken because we knew it ourselves.”  Gyuri knew he was trying to maintain his shield.

            Taecyeon realized she was right.  Rubbing her hand his thumb, “When I said I want to be the man you deserve, I want to protect you, treat you like a queen, be there for you-”

            “Last night you said ‘I prayed for someone like you’” Gyuri quoted him.  That was true, Taecyeon always prayed for someone like her.  Caring, understanding, and loving, Gyuri was like a pillar in his life.  Unfortunately, he could not do the same for her.

            She continued, “You do deserve me.  Don’t push yourself down.  You revealed yourself to me, but that doesn’t mean you can come and go with this when you like.  Can you open to me fully?”

            Taecyeon understood her.  He was playing with both of their emotions.  True when he first met her, one of his first intentions was to bed her.  However, as that first night progressed his wanting for her transformed.  Instead of just bedding her, he truly desired to have something serious with Gyuri.  Like he told her, he wanted her, but if he wanted to be with her, he needed to be raw with her.

            “Gyuri, I’ll try.  It/ll be tough, but give me a chance,” his head lifted, making eye contact, “I promise.”

            She smiled at this, “Who said you lost your chance.”

            Taecyeon’s serious face turned brighter, and he pulled her into a back hug.  Gyuri giggled, very rarely did she show this side.  For a moment, she stopped and rotated her head to him. 

            “What are we now?  Friends?”  this got Gyuri curious.

            Taecyeon paused too and crooked his head up, “Hmm… I think it’s safe to say we’re more than friends.”  He wanted to say more, but he did not want to frighten her.

            Gyuri caressed his face, “Let’s take it slow.  Be comfortable with one another.”

            She understood him, “That sounds terrific Gorgeous.”  He showed off that toothy grin.

            “Good… wait did you just give me a nickname?”

            “I sure did Gorgeous.  There’s nothing you can do to stop me.”  Gosh could that grin get any bigger?

            Gyuri pinched his nose, “Who said I wanted to stop you… Tekken.”

            Both laughed, “Seriously, why did you name me after a video game?”

            Shrugging at him, “Let us consider it a play on words.”

            Suddenly Taecyeon’s stomach rumbled the room.  Gyuri stopped and burst into giggles, “I guess someone’s hungry too.  I’ll make something.”

            Before she could get off the couch, Taecyeon ran to the kitchen.  “Don’t even think about making something.  Just wait in the living room.”

-------

            Standing alone in the kitchen, Taecyeon had no idea what to cook.  To be honest, he did have food, but he never cooked.  Normally he ate out, called room service, or relied on a personal chef.   He could not even recall the last time he cooked.  Still he wanted to surprise Gyuri.  Cheesy, but he wanted something special.

            Searching through the kitchen, he found a few things.  Eggs, kinchi, chicken, bread, onions, red pepper paste, apple juice, rice, ice cream, cookies, and cheese.  Perfect cheese, her favorite.  Mentally noting to himself, he needed to stop by the market, he thought to himself.  What could he prepare?  Kimchi, onion, and chicken sandwich?  Yuck.  Cookies and ice cream?  Simple, but too sugary in the morning.  What to cook?  He decided to call.

            “Why are you calling so early?” Chansung snapped.  Boy was somebody a morning person.

            “I need help with breakfast.”

            “Why me?”

            “You’re the food monster.  Geez, you’re so grumpy, I’ll figure it out myself.”  Taecyeon hung up.  “Great what to do…”

            After staring at the fridge, he pulled out a bottle of kimchi, eggs, onions, red paste, and cheese.  As he started organizing his ingredients, he heard soft yawn behind him.  There was Gyuri stretching her arms.  She gave him a half-sleepy smile, and tried to peer at what he was making. 

            “What’s that?”  She playfully asked.

            Not wanting to ruin the surprise he answered, “Nothing… You can relax in here I guess.”  Taecyeon returned back to his business. “I’ll make you a cup of coffee.”

            Gyuri sat on one of the stools in the kitchen and watched him move.  Her coffee mug close to her lips, she slowly drank with fascination.  He was a little clumsy, but he was trying his best to dominate the kitchen like he did in the boardroom.  Chopping and frying were new to him, but he was slowly getting it.  After cooking the kimchi, onions, and mixing it with the rice, he continued by frying two eggs.  Once he decorated the rice with eggs and cheese, he grabbed two bowls and the rice, and sat next to her.

            “Kimchi fried rice,” He goofily presented.

            Gyuri stared at the plate, “You struggled in the kitchen making this?”

            Faking offense, Taecyeon responded, “It is much more difficult than you think.”

            “You can say that then.  Remember I do cook a little.”  Gyuri took a bite of her fried rice, “This is pretty good.  I admit that the cheese gives major brownie points.”

            Taecyeon fist pumped in victory, “Well I’m glad you like my kimchi fried rice.   The cheese was a necessity.”

            Gyuri laughed at this, as they both continued eating their breakfast.