Timeout

Ready, Set, Game

“Mine!” Jaesung smashes the shuttlecock with all of his strength, giving his opponents no chance to recover. The shuttlecock lands exactly in the middle of the two opponents, and the tension in taken up a notch.

 

The umpire blows his whistle and points to Junseo and Jaesung. “Line! Point to Park and Lee”

 

Junseo and Jaesung made it to the finals, this was for 1stplace and an assured spot on the national team. Difficult however was an understatement, as all of their matches were down to the wire. Especially this one.

 

Now it’s the final match, it is currently the 3rdset and deuce, they have to win by two points. The crowd is too amazed and nervous to cheer with the sheer display of skills provided by both teams. They could only respond in “ooh’s” and “ahh’s”.

 

The last play secured them the advantage, now it time to finish it.

 

“Junseo, I got a plan. I’m going to set the shot up for you, but I need you to trust me” Another one of Jaesung’s crazy plans, but at this point he will take it. That last swing took a toll on his shoulder.

 

At this rate I can maybe only do a few more swings before my shoulder comes to shreds” Junseo braces for the worse as Jaesung readies his serve.

 

Jaesung serves the shuttlecock towards the back, which the opponent smashes easily towards Junseo.

 

But as Junseo is about to swing, Jaesung cuts him off and drops the shuttlecock close to the net forcing 2ndpartner to lob the ball in desperation towards the unoccupied side of Junseo and Jaesung’s court.

 

If this was his plan, this was really crazy. Please make me make this” Junseo jumps with all of his might towards the left and fully extends his right arm, smashing the shuttlecock towards the right side.

 

And just like his dream, everything slows down. Both opponents scramble to recover and get to the ball. He could hear coach screaming in the side, he could see Jaesung’s surprised face, and he could see the ball land exactly on the line of the opponents’ court.

 

Silence fills the stadium for a few seconds. And the crowd erupts in applause.
“Point! To Park and Lee!”

 

“Hyung we did it! We finally did it! Junseo we are-” Jaesung turns to face Junseo only to see him kneeling on the ground, clutching his shoulder in pain.

 

“JUNSEO? Are you okay?!” Their coach rushes next to Junseo with a medic, they lift Junseo who seems on the verge of passing out of the pain towards the medic room.

 

As they lay him down, Junseo regains a bit of clarity. Or some of it at least. “Jaesung, did we win?”

 

Jaesung couldn’t help but smile. “Get some rest you idiot, yea you got it in.”

 

 

“Well from the looks of it you seem to have a grade 2 sprain, but a mild one at that. You’re lucky it was only that and nothing else. Other than the meds you’ll be taking and the sling I’ve put you in, just make sure NO activity for at least a month then come back to me.”

 

This was pretty much good news for everyone, though Junseo was a bit disappointed he couldn’t do much for a month. Junseo was asleep for 30 minutes before a doctor was able to assess him.

 

As soon as the doctor left the room, their coach addresses them. “WELL DONE BOYS. I don’t know HOW you guys were able to pull that off but thank god you did. JUNSEO HOWEVER DO NOT SCARE US LIKE THAT AGAIN. We will talk more later. Now the awards ceremony is happening in 10 minutes, get ready and I’ll be outside”

 

Junseo still couldn’t process what just happened that day, it was all too wild. A small fight in the elevator, to reinjuring his shoulder, to joining the national team. Too much to process.

 

Jaesung sits next to Junseo, punching him in the uninjured side “You should have told me about your shoulder. Why didn’t you? How’d it happen?”

 

Junseo proceeds to tell what exactly happened in the elevator ride. “Wow. Well now that we know those girls are in the building, we are bound to see them soon. You should apologize.”

 

“That’s if we see them again. I’ve never seen them before till today. But we will cross that bridge when we get there. I’m sorry though for not telling you about my shoulder, I didn’t want you to worry about me. I guess the nervousness got to me as well” Junseo scratches his head sheepishly

 

“You’re always like this you idiot. You’re my partner, and I’ll always have your back. Next time, don’t be afraid to tell me okay? Now let’s stop being sappy and get you out there, we got a trophy to receive!”

 

 

The awards ceremony had just ended, lunch is currently being served. The courts have been cleared out and replaced with tables and chairs. Junseo and Jaesung are currently seated with coach. On the table is a shiny trophy, engraved with “1stplace” on it.

 

The commissioner of the event goes up on stage. “We would like to thank all the players for participating in this year’s tryouts! We will be sending out letters of invitation next month if you do make it to the national team. For now, we leave you with a surprise performance just for you all!”

 

“WOW! I didn’t know this was part of the program, the team sure has a lot of budget to hire a performance. Who will it be? Twice? Red Velvet? GFriend? Mamamoo?” Jaesung’s excited, he’s the only one between the two who listens to kpop

 

“Chill your hormones Jaesung, I’m sure it’s someone you follow”

 

“And without further ado, I introduce you to Wujusonyeo!” The commissioner exits the stage, and in come 10 girls in matching blue hostess like uniforms.

 

Instantly the first reaction of Junseo is to stare at the red head who he just had a shouting match with a few hours ago. The universe must be playing games with him today, it really is her.

 

“1,2,3 Would you like? Annyeonghaseyo! We are Wujusonyeo. Congratulations to all the athletes who worked hard for today, we hope to entertain you all. We will perform some of our songs, so please enjoy”