The Fire Prince

The Third Snow Prince
Please log in to read the full chapter

“Daehyun.” Someone said the next morning. I shifted in my sleep, turning on my side. “Daehyun, please wake up.” The person said, gently shaking my body. I groaned in irritation, recognizing the voice. What does he want?

“Daehyun, it’s time to wake up.” The person urged.

I slowly opened my eyes and sat up, brushing the elder’s hand away. “What do you want?” I growled not appreciating be awaken. The elder man stood up straight, backing away from the bed. “We have a meeting with the King and we’re going to be late. You overslept.” He said.

I frowned at this, “Now he wants to meet with us? After blowing us off for the past two weeks?” I muttered.

“We did come unexpected and he was busy.” Jaejoong reminded.

I scoffed, “You sent him a letter weeks ago. That’s his fault if he didn’t read it.”

“Your highness, please. We’re going to be late.” Jaejoong insisted.

I rolled my eyes, feeling even more irritated by his presence, “I don’t know why my father agreed to negotiate with him. He’s not a good person anyway.” I muttered, still reluctant to get out of bed.

“Your highness, you don’t know that.” Jaejoong said. I narrowed my eyes at him, “Why are you defending him? He deserves whatever he has coming for him. I don’t even know why you convinced my father to not declare war on him. Why do you even care?” I nearly spat.

Jaejoong sighed, “War is a serious thing. Thousands of innocent people die. It’s best to avoid war.” He explained.

I swung my legs over the bed, my back facing him. “I don’t know why my father listened to you. You’re just as guilty.” I murmured quietly, but he heard me anyway. “Please hurry and change. I’ll meet you in the foyer.” Was all he said before leaving the room.

I waited for the door to shut before standing up and preparing for the day. I took another hot bath, I was still pretty cold from last night. “Maybe I should’ve joined Youngjae on his little adventure.” I remarked, dreading the meeting with the snow king.

I took my time, changing into my princely attire. I was glad that Youngjae wouldn’t be here to see me in it, or else he’d find out what I was.

I took one last glance in the mirror before leaving the room. The three guards that traveled with us were waiting outside my door and together the four of us made our way to the foyer.

Some of the servants glanced at us nervously as we walked by. Some of them stared, thinking that I didn’t notice them. I rolled my eyes, I hated he attention.

“He better have something good to offer.” I muttered when we met up with Jaejoong.

The snow and fire Kingdom never got along, but always tolerated each other to prevent unnecessary fighting. But things changed 3 years ago.

 

The Snow Kingdom was hosting some big event and invited royals from every kingdom. My father couldn’t attend because he had serious business to take care of. So, my mother, offered to go in his place. The king of the snow kingdom offered to her to the kingdom to start a new friendship between the two natures.

He sent a carriage and a large group of guards to the fire kingdom for her to travel in. My mother, Jaejoong, and my older brother all went to the event. I stayed behind to help my father with the issue he was handling, and I didn’t want to go because I hated the cold.

However, after the event, my mother never made it back.

On their way back home, they were attacked by outcasts. My brother and Jaejoong were severely injured, but my mother was killed.

When my father heard the news, he was furious and placed the blame on King Jang who was supposed to protect them. He was going to declare war on them but Jaejoong somehow convinced him otherwise.

So, for the past few years the snow king sent several offers to make up for the incident, but my father turned them all down. Jaejoong also attempted to set up a time to sit down and negotiate before a war did break out, but it wasn’t set up until now.

For some reason though, my father had been hesitant on sending Jaejoong here to speak with the king, despite being the nation’s negotiator. But Jaejoong had been persistent on going. I was forced to go with him, so I could learn hands on, on how to handle “foreign” affairs as prince.

“Please have some understanding” Jaejoong whispered. I didn’t say anything and followed him into the throne room. The three guards remained outside.

 

A long table was set in the middle of the room. The snow king and queen were already sat on one side of the table. I raised an eyebrow, surprised to see the queen here.

We walked to the other side of the table and bowed before sitting down. “Thank you for having us here.” Jaejoong spoke formally, bowing his head for a second time.

“No. Thank you for your patience. I apologize for making you wait so long.” King Jang apologized. It was interesting meeting the king after hearing Youngjae’s story. He seemed like a friendly guy on the outside, but on the inside, he was just like everyone else.

It was interesting meeting the queen as well. Youngjae hardly spoke about her, but after hearing his story it made me wonder what she was like. “It’s a pleasure to have you here.” She smiled. Unlike the king, she came off a bit less friendly. Jaejoong slightly nodded at her ironic words, “I do wish our meeting could’ve been on more positive issues.”

The king nodded in agreement. “So, your king has not accepted our last two offers?” King Jang asked stressfully, getting to business. Jaejoong carefully shook his head, “No amount of money will make up for it.” He informed.

I sat there silently watching the meeting progress. I had to admit, Jaejoong was good at his job. He was always able to negotiate deals in our favor, convincing the party otherwise, while making them feel assured by it. I guess that’s why my father liked him so much.

I was somewhat impressed watching him. He was able to calm down the stressed snow king and make him feel comfortable as they negotiated. However, they struggled to negotiate a deal. The snow king had nothing to offer that would please my father and his patience was beginning to wear thin.

“I’m offering all I can!” King Jang slammed his fist against the table.

Neither of us flinched.

“If he can’t accept my efforts and see how sorry I am then-,” “Honey please extend your understanding. Think about how he must fee. I know you’re stressed and I understand. But please calm down.” Queen Jang spoke up, rubbing her husband’s back. He sighed, taking a deep breath, “I’m sorry.” He apologized to the two of us. Jaejoong offered him a gentle smile, “It’s okay. Your stress is understandable, and I appreciate your effort.”

The king’s body relaxed at his words, but tension was still prominent in his eyes. “Losing a life is a terrible thing and nothing can make up for that lost life.” Queen Jang spoke up again, earning everyone’s attention. “There are only two things that could make up for this. Plain forgiveness or another life.” She said.

I raised an eyebrow, curious as to where she was going with this. “Forgive me for saying this your highness, but I believe this is the only way to avoid any further conflict.” Queen Jang bowed her head.

“Go on.” The king granted her permission.

She raised her head and looked at the three of us. “It would only be fair to hand over one of our own to the Fire kingdom.” She finally said.

Jaejoong’s and King Jang’s eyes slightly widened, not expecting the offer.

“YeEun is not ready for this. I am not sending her over there.” The king immediately shut down the idea. “I’m not talking about YeEun.” She said.

The King’s eyes grew wider.

I stared at her suspiciously.

The queen turned her attention back to us, an all to pleasant smile on her face, “I’m pretty sure a fertile prince would be much more valuable to you than a princess, since you don’t have one in your kingdom, correct?” She said to Jaejoong. This time my eyes widened in surprise. Youngjae is a fertile prince? Though I somewhat hoped that they were talking about someone else. They wouldn’t send their sick son to the fire kingdom like that.

I watched the king and queen carefully this time. “Pardon me, but I wasn’t aware that you had another son.” Jaejoong cleared his throat, obviously uncomfortable with the idea of taking someone away from their home.

“Ah yes. Not too many people outside the kingdom know about him, except for those who’ve visited often. Plus, we have been focused on situation the future for the two eldest princes. And I believe now is the time to focus on our third prince. I believe this is the best way to med the issue and form a new and closer relationship at the same time. Especially if you marry him off to your crowned prince.” She finished.

Jaejoong didn’t respond, thinking about it. The king had been silent and remained silent. He looked as if he were contemplating. He looked conflicted.

I slightly narrowed my eyes at the queen, she offered this way too easily and was way too at ease with it. It was obviously the best deal and the only thing that could make up for what happened. Fertile princes were extremely valuable. I would’ve ben for it, if it were someone else.

“This may be the only way.” Jaejoong finally said.

My eyes widened again, though I shouldn’t have been surprised.

“That will do.” Jaejoong said again, with more confidence.

Queen Jang smiled at this.

However, the king didn’t seem on board with it. “I need time to think about it.” He spoke firmly, looking at Queen Jang, then to Jaejoong. “I don’t know how much more time to give you.” Jaejoong confessed. My father was the least patient and least tolerable out of all the current kings and we have been here for almost over a month now. We had expected to be here for two weeks the most.

The snow king nodded in understanding, “Give me until tomorrow. I will call you tomorrow when I have an answer.” He said.

Jaejoong and I stood up, taking that as our cue to leave. “Thank you again for meeting with us.” Jaejoong said as we bowed. “Thank you for your patience.” King and Queen Jang stood up and returned the bow. Jaejoong and I left first.

 

I stopped Jaejoong before we went any further. He looked at me a bit surprised. “Don’t accept his offer tomorrow if he decides to hand the prince over.” I told him firmly. This threw him off, “I have to. It’s the only way to keep the peace.” He said.

“You can’t accept it.” I argued. He studied me closely, “Why not?” He asked suspiciously.

I opened my mouth to answer but paused, “Just don’t. Okay?” I said.

The man didn’t say anything.

I sighed in irritation before turning to walk away when he stopped me, resting his hand on my shoulder. I stopped abruptly in my steps, turning to look at him, “What?”

“Do you want to go out and check out the towns?” He offered.

“I already saw the city.” I brushed off, feeling annoyed by the request. He’s been trying to get me to do stuff with him the whole time we’ve been here. “Not the city. The towns outside the city. It’s a completely different world out there. It’s quite beautiful during this time of year.” He smiled, completely brushing off the harshness in my tone.

I paused. Something about his words sounded familiar, but I brushed it off, not finding it important. “I’m not interested.” I pulled away from his hand and walked away. I wasn’t interested in doing anything with him. I don’t know why he insists on doing something or anything together. I wanted nothing to do with him. I could never forgive him.

I wasn’t interested in exploring anything through the snow kingdom either. I hated the cold and there wasn’t anything interesting about it anyway. Except for the Youngjae kid. He was different.

I was about to turn down the corridor of where my guest room was, when I spotted the crowned prince and princess walking down the hallway. They looked as if they were about to go out somewhere, dressed up and everything.

I observed them closely as they chatted and laughed with each other. They looked a lot like their mother and father but shared hardly any physical similarities to their other two siblings. “I really wish Youngjae could go with us.” The princess sighed, her laughter fading.

Prince Hyunseung nodded, a sorrowful look on his face, “Has he come out today?” He asked his younger sister, concerned. She shook her head, “He woke up earlier today and took his medical procedures earlier than usual. Then he asked if he could go out to the city, but father said he couldn’t, since he went out yesterday.” YeEun explained, “He hasn’t been out his room since.”

Prince Hyunseung frowned at this. I held back a chuckle. The kid must’ve snuck out. “Should we sneak him out? Like Kikwang used to?” Princess YeEun asked. The eldest sibling shook his head, “It’s too risky.”

“I’m worried for him Hyungseung. He took Kikwang’s leave hard. And he’s stuck inside all day and mother has given me so much to do, I hardly get the chance to check on him and I know you’re busy with your stuff. He’s alone and trapped. Kikwang was the one who didn’t care and took him out anyway.” The princess said.

“I know YeEun. I’m worried about him too. I’ll talk to father later tonight, but for now let’s enjoy ourselves in town.” Prince Hyunseung said, trying to make her feel better. Princess YeEun nodded and the two continued walking, however, it wasn’t long before they spotted me.

They both stopped in their tracks. Princess YeEun looked surprised to see me. “Hello Prince Daehyun.” Prince Hyunseung was the one to greet me with a bow. I returned the bow and greeting, “Prince Hyunseung. Princess YeEun.” The young female teen gave a slight head bow, still somewhat startled by my sudden presence. I let out a slight smirk at this.

“I hope you’re enjoying your stay here.” Prince Hyunseung continued to speak, a friendly smile on his face. He came off much friendlier than both his parents. “Hm, you can say that. The first snow activities were fun, I guess.” I shrugged. Hyungseung nodded, “I’m glad you were able to experience it. It’s one of our biggest celebrations of the year.” He smiled. I only hummed in re

Please log in to read the full chapter