The Fertility Kingdom

The Third Snow Prince
Please log in to read the full chapter

*Junhong’s POV*

“When are we gonna stop?” I asked, getting tired of sitting on the horse for so long. “We’ll find a place to stop soon.” Sunghak said in irritation. We just got past the Fertility Kingdom’s strict border control. It was actually kind of scary. Mostly because Sunghak wasn’t patient with the guards, I was afraid that we’d never get in or he would get arrested.

After Sunghak pretty much burned down the dark guild base, Yongguk took us to a bar at the edge of the Sunshine Kingdom’s capital city. Surprisingly there was another bar underneath the bar just for outcasts where Yongguk used to meet with his guild leader. Yongguk and Sunghak went into the hidden bar, where they found Yongguk’s guild leader. There, they found out that Lord Changmin was going to take Kikwang and Youngjae to the Valley, but they were going to stop at the Fertility Kingdom first. I prayed that we weren’t too late and that they weren’t already heading to that scary place.

I looked at Yongguk. I couldn’t help but smile. I was glad that he was helping us out, despite everything he’s done. I know he’s good deep down. I just know it. He just needs to believe it. Sunghak refused to let me near him alone. He obviously didn’t trust him. My only chance with Yongguk was only when it was just Jongin, Yongguk, and I.

We roamed the fertility kingdom capital city. The city was small and not as busy as the other capital cities of other kingdoms, but it was a peaceful and charming place. I’ve visited the Fertility kingdom a lot, especially when I was younger whenever we came to visit my grandparents, who ruled the kingdom.

It wasn’t until another half hour later before we finally stopped for food (When Sunghak spotted a food stand that sold his favorite lemon cakes, he suggested we stopped to eat). “Doojoon and Daehyun should be here too?” I questioned, munching on a large bag of cherry tomatoes. “If they had any luck at the Celestial kingdom.” Sunghak remarked. “I’m sure they did. Doojoon is great at negotiating.” I said, wanting to remain positive, but the elder prince only shrugged.

“So, how are we going to find the outcasts?” I questioned. “I doubt they’d be in the open.” Yongguk said. Jongin nodded in agreement, “They’d probably take refuge in some abandon building, since there isn’t a base here.”

It was strange how Jongin seemed to know a lot about the outcasts. I asked Yongguk about it, and he said that he’d done a lot of research on the outcasts, because his dad had gotten in trouble with them before he passed away. I pouted at the thought, wondering if the outcasts killed Jongin’s dad, but I didn’t dare to ask. “I don’t know of any abandoned places here.” I said in thought.

“Well, we’ll look for it after we finish eating. I’ll be back.” Sunghak said. “Where are you going?” I asked him suspiciously.

“Mind your own business.” Was his sharp remark as he walked away.

I watched him walk in the direction of where the lemon cakes were. I rolled my eyes. Maybe it was a mistake coming to this part of the city. But I stole the opportunity to sneak next to Yongguk. “Do you want a cherry tomato?” I offered.

He looked at me in confusion. “Hurry. Take one before Sunghak comes back.” I urged.

He was hesitant but took one anyway and thanked me.

I studied him. He’d been a lot more serious ever since we left the base. He’s never laughed or even cracked a smile. He barely even talks to me when I try to speak with him.

“Yongguk you-,” “Prince Sunghak is coming back.” Jongin warned. I sighed before taking a step away from the outcast.

“That was fast. Did something happen?” I questioned when he ran to us. “I saw Daehyun and Doojoon.” He announced.

My eyes widened. “What? Where are they?”

“They’re here. Come on.” He ordered, running the way. We ran after him, not wanting to miss the two princes.

 

They were in the center of the city, standing by one of the empty stands. They were both looking at a necklace around Daehyun’s neck that had a glowing blue stone hanging from it. “Where are we supposed to go?” Doojoon questioned. “I don’t know. This is the brightest it glows.” Daehyun grumbled in irritation. Doojoon thought to himself. “Then that means they have to be somewhere here.” He concluded. “But where?” Daehyun frowned, the fact wasn’t enough for him.

“Daehyun! Doojoon!” I called running up to them first.

The two looked toward us. “Junhong?” They said in surprise.

The others followed behind me. “What are you doing here?” Doojoon asked more concerned than anything else. “What do you mean?” I questioned. Daehyun looked at Sunghak, “You were supposed to drop him home.” He said. I frowned, realizing what they were talking about. Sunghak shrugged, “He drove a hard bargain.” “Dad and Consort Choi are gonna kill you if anything happens.” Daehyun remarked.

“How did you guys find us?” Doojoon questioned.

“There was this outcast bar that Yongguk took us to, and Sunghak and Yongguk found out that Kikwang and Youngjae were taken here.” I explained. “Who?” Doojoon questioned.

“Yongguk. He’s…” I turned back only to see that he was gone. “…gone?” I looked around, but I couldn’t see him anywhere. “Where did he go?” He was just here a second ago. Jongin shrugged, seeming just as surprised. “That ing bastard. I knew we shouldn’t have trusted him. He probably went to warn the outcasts that we’re here.” Sunghak growled. Daehyun frowned at this.

“Maybe he found something.” I countered. The crowned fire prince looked at me unimpressed. “He’s an outcast. I don’t care how close you think you were to him or how friendly he seemed. He’s still an outcast and he kidnapped your friends. That was his goal the whole time. So, everything he did was a way to get close and kidnap them. Everything he’s done and said was a lie. Your friendship was a lie. He lied to you. I’m confident he tried to kidnap you too. So, you need to ing get over it.” He sneered.

I bawled my fists, “That’s not true. He wouldn’t do anything like that.” I argued. “But he did.” He said. “But he’s helping us. He wouldn’t betray us and tell the others.” I said.

He narrowed his eyes at me, “Wake up Junhong. You can’t be serious.”

“I am! He wouldn’t! And I’ll prove it. I’ll go find him myself!” I spat. However, Doojoon grabbed my arm, preventing me from running off. He looked at me with stern eyes. He looked tired. “Now isn’t the time. We have to focus on getting Kikwang and Youngjae. If he’s not here, he’s not here. But we have more important things to worry about.” He reminded.

My shoulders dropped. He was right. I shouldn’t be worrying about Yongguk. Kikwang and Youngjae are our main priority. “I’m sorry.” I apologized, feeling a bit guilty.

The elder released my arm and returned to business. He and Daehyun explained what happened at their meeting with the 7 Council Members and the gem that Portia gave Daehyun. “We need to find them before you run out of the potion then.” Sunghak said when they finished.

Daehyun looked at the gem and saw that there was less than a quarter of the liquid left. “We don’t have much time. It’s been leading us north the whole time, but now we’re stuck.” Doojoon said. Just then, the gem started blinking, fading to a dim then brightening up again at a pace similar to a heartbeat. “What does that mean?” Jongin spoke

Please log in to read the full chapter