Changes

The Third Snow Prince
Please log in to read the full chapter

The next morning we returned to our normal schedule. We attended our lectures. Studied. Practiced our mannerism courses and so on. However, the only difference was that Kikwang wasn’t with us. It was only YeEun and I , who showed up and none of our teachers seemed bothered by it.

It was like that for the next two days. I didn’t even get to see him after our lessons either. Nor did he attend dinner with us.

“Is something bothering you?” A voice suddenly said, interrupting my train of thought. I blinked a few times, looking up at my mother. After spending two days in the castle waiting for Kikwang, I decided to visit my mother for the day. I didn’t want to stay in the palace during the week of First Snow, but I couldn’t go out to the events alone and I didn’t want to bother Hyunseung and YeEun. So, I figured the best thing was to spend the rest of the day with my mother after my lessons.

“Oh, sorry.” I apologized, returning to crocheting the blanket I was assisting her with. She chuckled, “Everything okay?”

I scrunched my brow, unsure of how to answer. “Honestly, I don’t know. I have so many questions.” I confessed, my brow still scrunched. She nodded, “You were always so observant, but never voiced your questions.” She chuckled lightly.

“Kikwang has been gone for the past three days. He isn’t even at the lectures. Nor do I see him in the afternoons. He doesn’t even attend dinner. The week of First Snow is almost over and I know he was excited about going to the festivities with us.” I explained. “The last time I saw him, we were having dinner with the royal family of the Earth nation. Other than that, I haven’t heard anything from or about him. YeEun doesn’t even know.

My mother nodded slowly, thinking to herself before a small smile grew on her face, “Well, I assure you that he isn’t missing any of the festivities.”

I looked at her with confusion. “I saw him at some of the events the other day with the Earth family.” She explained. My eyes widened at this new information. “He looked as if he were showing them around. His and her majesty were there too.” She added. I scrunched my brow again, not quite understanding. Why would he be with the royal earth family? I was a bit worried, he seemed uncomfortable at the dinner.

My mother noticed this, “I’m sure he’s enjoying himself. He’s doing an honorable thing.” She patted my knee, her lips pursed. It seemed as if she had an idea of what was going on, but I didn’t bother to ask. I’ll find out eventually. “Just makes sure to continue to be there for him.” She added with a gentle smile.

I looked at her not understanding by what she meant. But she quickly stood up and strengthened her smile, “Let’s take a break from crocheting today, okay? And help me make some herbal medicines.” She said, changing the subject. Without waiting for a response, she left the room. I furrowed my brow bu decided not to think too much about it and put away the yarn and utensils.

Minutes later my mother returned with a large wooden tray full of different herbs and placed it on the ground. She set up a small fire to boil water before sitting back down.

“I met up with an old friend the other day.” She said as we worked on the medicines. I hummed in response. “We hadn’t seen each other in years. We were friends when we were teens back at the fertility kingdom.” She smiled at the memory.

I smiled as she spoke. She really did seem to love living back at the Fertility kingdom. Her face lit up every time she does so. “Unfortunately, his visit wasn’t for a good reason.” Her smile slowly faded, “Which was what I was afraid of.”

There was a short moment of silence before she looked at me. “Youngjae, how is your father?” She suddenly asked.

I blinked, thrown off by the question. She never asks about my father, unless it was something crucial that everyone else knew about. Her voice was gentle, but there was a hint of seriousness behind it. “I don’t know. I hardly see him. The last time I saw him was when we had dinner with the Yoon family. He didn’t really say much but…” I paused, reflecting on that night. He hardly spoke. He smiled and said a few things here and there…but he seemed stiff the whole time.

I looked back at my mother. “Earlier this week he spoke with someone from the fire Kingdom. I thought it was the king but apparently it wasn’t. But father seemed highly upset that they came uninvited. But the man said it was urgent if he didn’t want any trouble.” I explained.

Her smile slowly vanished as she nodded, taking in what I said. “Umma, is something wrong?” I asked her. She studied me for a little bit before sighing, “The snow kingdom and fire kingdom’s relationship has never been good. And unfortunately many mistakes were made with the last snow king that made things worse and it has continued to get worse. And King Jung of the fire nation is not a forgiving man either.” She said.

“I don’t know what’s going to happen, but whatever does happen please be careful Youngjae.” She said with pleading eyes, rubbing my arm gently. “There’s a lot going on that you aren’t aware of, and I’m afraid once the festivities of First Snow end, things will be different.” She confessed.

I sat there still not understanding. She noticed this and let out a smile. “You haven’t gotten sick recently, haven’t you?” She asked. I shook my head, “I don’t see how I can get sick when I’m quarantined.” She chuckled dryly. “Things will get better.” She promised. “They always do.”

I stayed at my mother’s home for a few more hours before deciding to leave right before sunset, so the guards wouldn’t come looking for me.

I slowly walked through the festival, my dust mask wrapped securely around my lower face, observing the area. There wasn’t a lot of people out, for most of the festivities had shifted to the city’s market place where the plays and performances were held. I closed my eyes, inhaling and exhaling the gentle cold air, allowing the tiny snowflakes to land on my skin.

The activities for First Snow are amazing, but I enjoyed the feel of the snow itself. The first snow always felt softer, sweeter, and natural. It was the most delicate of all snow of winter. For me personally, I felt the strongest this time of year. And, I felt connected with the soft clouds of water and air. I chuckled as the gentle balls tickled my skin. “Are you a ghost?” a voice suddenly said, interrupting the moment.

I slowly opened my eyes to see that strange brown haired guy standing a few yards in front of me, on the other side of the street. He was still dressed in his black leather trench coat, but had layers of scarves wrapped around his neck, up to his chin. His hands were shoved stiff in his pockets. “Excuse me?”

“I was looking for you. I hadn’t bumped into you in the past few nights. And I began to wonder if you were real or not.” He explained. I stared at him, lost, so he continued, “We always met at night, and someone always had to run off. I’ve never seen you during the day. And now…here we are meeting again…at sunset.” He said, crooked smile showing on his face.

I opened my mouth to respond but he raised his hand, “…but don’t tell me. I like the mystery.” He smiled. I looked at him strangely, “…You speak informally to me. Do you know who I am?” I asked more out of curiosity. “Were we friends at one point?”

The strange guy laughed at my questions, finding something I said amusing. “I didn’t know who you were until you mentioned that your father spoke to someone from the Fire kingdom.” He answered. “I knew that the king of the Snow kingdom had 2 sons and a daughter. A crowned prince, a princess, and a fertile prince. I already knew who your two brothers were but I didn’t learn that there was a third prince, another fertile prince, until I came here. Then this third prince became a mystery.” He said this with much thought, but there was amusement behind his tone.

“It’s rare that anyone sees you.” He noted. I nodded at the truth behind his words. I’ve never been anywhere outside the kingdom and we hardly had guest. And when we do, I’m kept away. Amusement pressed on the stranger’s lips. “You really are a ghost prince.”

I furrowed my brow, “If you knew that I was a prince, then why do you speak informally to me?” I questioned. “What? Do you not like it?” he countered with a raised eyebrow. “No. I’m just curious. You could get in trouble. Aren’t you afraid?” I said. He let out a chuckle. “You really don’t know who I am.” He laughed. I frowned, my curiosity now biting inside me.

“You’re from the fire kingdom. I saw the pin on your coat the other night. That’s why you hate the cold.” I stated. “Mm hm.” He hummed, waiting for me to go on. I scrunched my brow, thinking hard about it. He wasn’t a servant nor a guard. “Are you a prince as well?” I finally asked.

He looked as if he were about to laugh again but paused, “Let’s just remain a mystery to each other.” He said, “I like it better that way.”

“Why?” I didn’t understand. “Because…if we know too much about

Please log in to read the full chapter