Fool To Love

The Third Snow Prince
Please log in to read the full chapter

*Youngjae's POV*

 

The next morning, I woke up early, took my medicine and herbs as usual, bathed and so on. “Here’s your breakfast.” Yoseob sang, entering my room with a tray of food. I thanked him as he placed the food on the small glass table. I don’t eat breakfast or lunch with the royal family. I only ate dinner with them. “Um, I’ll be right back.” I told him.

“Huh?” He said surprised. “You don’t have to wait here for me. I just need to do something.” I didn’t want to tell him what I was going to do, afraid that I’d worry him. “do you need me to come with you?” He asked. “No. I’m fine.” I smiled. He looked hesitant. “I’ll e back soon. I promise.” I promised him. “Erm. Okay, but I’m going to wait for you here.” He gave in. I nodded, and with that I left the room.

I walked down the corridors, making my way to the dining room. I bowed my head to each servant that I past and bowed. They were all shocked to see me in the palace, roaming alone. Someone was usually with me, either Jaejoong, Yoseob, and sometimes Kyungsoo or Junhyung.

I stopped in front of the dining room doors. I inhaled and exhaled deeply, preparing myself for everything and anything.

I knocked on the door.

There was a pause before I heard King Jung’s voice, “Come in.”

I pulled open one of the heavy doors and entered the large dining room. They were all there, sitting at the far end of the table, Prince Daehyun, Prince Sunghak, and King Jung. King Jung was sat at the head of the table.

They all stared at me, surprised by my sudden intrusion. “Good morning.” I bowed at a 90-degree angle at my waist. Prince Sunghak narrowed his eyes at me. Daehyun watched me curiously, but worry was prominent in his eyes. King Jung raised an eyebrow, “What do you want?” He asked indifferently. “I want to apologize.” I said. “Excuse me?” He questioned.

I took a deep breath. I don’t want to pretend to be strong. They’ll see right through me. I just wanted to be sincere. I know it won’t be able to fix much, but I needed to apologize.

I got on my knees and bowed. “I am sorry for the trouble my home kingdom has caused. I am so sorry for the lost we brought upon your kingdom and family. I know there’s not much I could ever do to make up for what my kingdom has done. But I will do anything I can.”

Silence fell in the room.

I looked up and immediately made eye contact with Daehyun. He stared at me wide eyed.

“You’re just now apologizing?” Sunghak was the first to speak.

I looked at the eldest fire prince who did not look impressed. He studied me closely. “Don’t tell me you didn’t know until now?” He said. I opened my mouth, unsure of how to respond. King Jung caught on as well and frowned. “Stand up.” He ordered.

I did as he said and quickly stood to my feet. “Did you know why you were sent here?” He growled. “N-No your majesty. Not until now.” I did my best to keep a steady voice, but the more I spoke the angrier the fire king became.

“You-,”

“Why does it matter?” Daehyun cut his father off.

“What?” King Jung turned to him. I was surprised as well.

“Why does it matter if he knew before or not? Is it his fault? I mean, none of us even knew about him until now. So how can you expect him to know exactly why he’s here? He knows now, and he apologized. Would you have rather him say nothing?” Daehyun defended.

King Jung look shocked by his youngest son’s defense, but his shock eventually turned into a frown. But before anything could be said, the dining room doors opened.

It was the head servant.

He paused, immediately sensing the thick tension. The four of us stared at him, waiting for him to speak. He glanced at each of us, assessing the situation. “Uhh, Prince Youngjae. Sir Jaejoong needs to see you. Uh, now.” The long black-haired man turned to me. I slowly nodded.

I bowed to the royal family before following the taller man out the dining room.

“What is it that Jaejoong needs?” I asked once we were away from the dining room. “Oh, he didn’t call for you. I was just saving you from those fire breathing dragons in there.” He said. I chuckled a little at the nicknames. “Thank you.” I thanked him sincerely. “My pleasure. My name is Yoochun by the way. We’ve seen each other around, but never formally met.” He introduced himself.

“Nice to meet you Yoochun.” I smiled. He seemed like a friendly man and I really was grateful to him. For a moment, things started to get scary back there. “You looked like a lamb in a lion’s den back there. I see why Jaejoong insists on being there when you’re with the royal family. You really shouldn’t be around them alone. At least not now.” He advised.

“I wasn’t completely alone.” I said more to myself.

“Excuse me?”

“N-Nothing.” I quickly said.

The man shrugged and continued to lead the way. I rubbed my arm in slight nervousness. I prayed that Daehyun didn’t get in trouble with his father because of me.

I was led to my room before Yoochun headed back to the dining room. Yoseob was still in my room waiting for me. “Where did you go? Did something happen?” He asked with much concern after seeing Yoochun leave. I sat down, my brow slightly scrunched. “I think I did something wrong?” I said, not understanding why my apology made the king and crowned prince mad.

Yoseob stared at me in confusion and worry. But I smiled, “It was nothing.” I said, not wanting to worry him. However, he wasn’t convinced. I grabbed my tray of food and ate it, as not to worry him.

At that moment there was a knock on the door. “come in.” I said.

The door carefully opened and in came Junhyung. “Good morning your highness.” The guard bowed. I returned the greeting with a hello. It was strange having a personal guard. Every day he came and check on me. Once in the morning, once in the afternoon and once in the evening. “I’m sorry to bother you but have you seen…” his voice trailed off when his eyes landed on Yoseob. The servant pointed to himself and the guard nodded.

I raised an eyebrow, catching the silent communication and the in Yoseob’s demeanor. He seemed a bit more confident and at ease as he straightened up at Junhyung’s presence.

Yoseob glanced at me then back at Junhyung. “I can’t go now. Maybe tonight.” Yoseob tried to brush the elder off only to earn a frown. “Go where?” I asked curiously. Yoseob paused at my sudden question. “Um…erm, Junhyung and I were planning…um, on going to see a play.” He said, his cheeks turning pink.

“A play? That’s wonderful.” I said excited. “You guys should go.” I encouraged. “But what about you?” He asked. “I won’t need anything. I’m fine.” I promised. Yoseob seemed hesitant but gave in anyway.

He and Junhyung thanked me before leaving the room.

I stayed in the room for the rest of the day, crocheting sweaters. I waited for Daehyun, but he never came. Did he get in trouble? Worry began to overwhelm me.

Kyungsoo came in the late afternoon to give me my medicine and check up on me. “Have you eaten? Your pulse isn’t as steady as normal.” He asked, after checking my pulse and temperature. “Yeh. I just haven’t eaten lunch yet.” I answered.

The elder made note of it. “Did Yoseob not bring it?” He asked a bit surprised. “He and Junhyung wanted to go see a play. So, I told them that they can go.” I explained. “Oh, that’s today, isn’t it?” He said more to himself. “What is?” I asked.

“Oh. There’s a play that is held only once a year. One time at the beginning of Lover’s month. But since Lover’s month is less than a month a way they put on a show that serve’s as a prequel to the play. Then at the end of the month there’s an Epilogue to the story.” He explained.

“Oh? What’s Lover’s month?” I asked, never hearing about it before.

“It’s a month based off of the story of two dragons who were lovers. There was a harsh winter and the two dragons depended on each other to survive. They shared their heat and became one and they survived. It’s believed that this was the birth of the fire nation. So, the first month of every winter is Lover’s month, to celebrate the beginnings of the fire nation and the power of love and loyalty. The plays are based on the story of the two lovers.” He explained.

I sat there in awe, “That’s amazing.”

Kyungsoo nodded, “It’s a time to spend with your family and significant other. Yoseob and Junhyung always see all the plays together.” He shook his head.

My eyes slightly widened, “Yoseob and Junhyung are together?” I gasped. Kyungsoo nodded, “They’ve been together for years now. But don’t tell anyone. Royal staff are not allowed to have romantic relationships with each other here.” He said.

“Oh, why not?”

The elder shrugged, “It was a rule that was implemented when his majesty became king.” I only nodded, “Ah~, that must be nice. I hope they’re having fun.” I said. Kyungsoo nodded, “It is nice.” He said quietly.

I tilted my head, studying him. “Kyungsoo-ah, are you with someone too?” I asked. His cheeks turned a light pink at my question. His cheeks turned a light pink at my question. “Yeh.” He answered. I lit up at the news. “Are you two going to see the plays and celebrate?” I asked excitedly. “No. He’s at the Sunshine kingdom. We haven’t been to the plays in the past few years.” He said, his demeanor becoming down.

I smiled, patting his shoulder gently, “I’m sure you will be able to go soon.” I assured him. He nodded subconsciously before quickly straightening up. “I’ll go get you some food, so you don’t starve. I doubt that they’re going to be back any time soon.” He said and with that he quickly left the room.

I smiled, happy for both him and Yoseob. I was glad that they had someone special they cared about. I said a little prayer that Kikwang would find the same love with Doojoon, so he could be happy.

 

-

 

That night I couldn’t sleep. I was both curious and concerned. I wanted to know more about the two dragons and this Lover’s month thing. What did they do? How do they celebrate? But I was concerned more than anything else. Neither Daehyun nor Jaejoong came at all today and it was already far into the evening.

Please log in to read the full chapter