This Feels (Like Falling in Love)

This Feels (Like Falling in Love)

Yoongi leaves the bakery for a much needed break, the wind chime over the door tinkling pleasantly as it closes behind him. The air is chilly, the icy wind biting at his face, but Yoongi doesn’t mind. The bakery has been especially busy today for some reason, perhaps to do with Christmas lurking just around the corner, so the fresh air is welcome on his flushed cheeks.

Yoongi buries his face further into his scarf and shoves his gloved hands deep into his coat pockets, and sets off in search of some food that is not sweet baked goods. He’s always liked the town during this time of year—how the streets are always busier and lit up with pretty Christmas lights and decorations, how people generally seem to be happier. Something about the atmosphere is just comforting, pleasant, albeit a touch lonely. He walks through streets lined with market stalls selling everything from food to figurines, weaving his way through the bustling crowd of people. He’s not sure exactly what he’s looking for, but he has a good forty minutes to kill until his lunch break is over, so he’s not exactly in a rush.

He finds himself on an unfamiliar street, much quieter than the previous ones he’d walked down. He spots a stall at the other end of the street, situated right on the corner leading out into the main square. He doesn’t remember having seen it before. Intrigued, he makes his way towards it, his boots thudding softly against the cobbled ground, the only noise in the otherwise quiet street. That isn’t to say it’s silent though, the noise from the main square just ahead easily carrying in the wind creating a steady background hum of noise.

Yoongi reaches the little stall to find a man behind it, hunched over the surface so Yoongi can’t see his face. He’s doodling pretty designs on a napkin in henna—Yoongi finally realises it’s a henna tattoo stall. There are pictures of designs and patterns hung up around the wooden frame of the stall and placed on the table. Some are typical tattoo style designs, plenty are of pretty hearts and flowers, some are of cartoon characters, there are even football team logos.

“Oh, sorry! I didn’t see you there. How can I help?”

Yoongi startles, turning his attention from the various designs back to the man behind the stall. He’s smiling at Yoongi expectantly, big eyes trained on him. He looks young, probably in his early twenties, or thereabouts, but his features are mature and well defined. There’s a slight flush spreading across his nose and cheeks, probably from the cold. Yoongi offhandedly notices a sprinkling of moles littered across his tan skin too.

“Hi, I was just…” Yoongi gestures vaguely to the designs.

“Sure, let me know if one catches your eye!”

Yoongi hums, considering it. The man doesn’t seem to be getting many customers if the amount of doodles on the napkins is anything to go by. Yoongi reckons it’s probably due to the weather; no one wants to expose their skin to the icy wind for longer than necessary, so a henna tattoo would definitely be out of the question. Yoongi notices the man isn’t wearing any gloves, wonders how he isn’t cold.

“I’d like one on my arm please,” Yoongi decides. He likes supporting artists when he can, knowing first hand how hard it can be. Not just that, but encouragement does wonders for creativity. Even if the henna artist is perfectly well off and needs neither financial nor emotional support, there’s still just something about doing things that you don’t need to, especially when it helps someone else, especially this time of year. Or maybe just the idea of getting a henna tattoo on it’s own is just nice enough for him to get one, no deeper meaning behind it.

“Sure, do you have a particular design in mind?”

“You choose. Surprise me.” Yoongi shrugs.

The henna artist seems surprised, mouth opening but no sound coming out. “Oh, um. Okay!”

He smiles at Yoongi again, this time a little brighter, a little more genuine than the polite service smile he was wearing before.

“There’s a stool under the table if you’d prefer to sit while I do it. It shouldn’t take long though.”

Yoongi smiles back, locating the stool and perching on it. He rolls his sleeve up and places his arm on the table between them where the man indicates for him to, already feeling the chill on his skin.

“Ah, sorry about the hair,” he says sheepishly, just now noticing the light strands covering his arm, beginning to rise from the cold.

The man laughs, the sound gentle and soft. “I wouldn’t expect you to shave your arms just for henna, don’t worry.”

Yoongi watches as he takes out a new henna cone, squeezing a little out onto a napkin before he begins. He tests it on the inside of Yoongi’s wrist first, leaving it for a few minutes to make sure Yoongi’s skin isn’t averse to it. When it’s deemed okay, the man flips Yoongi’s arm over and holds his hand to keep him steady. Yoongi tries not to think too hard about his hand resting in the artist’s; it is purely for practical reasons, so there is no reason for his heart to speed up like this. The artist’s hands are fairly cold, given the below freezing temperatures, but they’re warmer than Yoongi would have expected them to be. The warmth quickly gives way to the harsh cold of the henna, and Yoongi has to force himself not to flinch away and ruin the design before it’s even begun.

“I was quite surprised to see you, you know,” the man starts, causing Yoongi to shift his gaze from the mesmerising movements of the henna to his face. He’s not looking at Yoongi, of course, needing to look at his work instead. “Not you personally, but since you’re a guy.”

“Nothing wrong with that,” he adds when Yoongi doesn’t reply, “Just unusual. I usually only get girls and kids.”

Yoongi hums, a small sound he’s not even sure can be heard.

“It’s a shame,” Yoongi says after a pause, “It looks so pretty. The guys are missing out.”

The henna artist smiles, and this time Yoongi notices his two front teeth just barely poking out a little more than the rest. It’s cute.

They don’t talk much, the artist focusing on his design, Yoongi watching mesmerised as his pale skin is delicately painted with dark of beauty. And it is, beautiful. There’s a band of patterns at his wrist, in semblance of a bracelet, above which sits a cat, beautifully embedded into swirls and patterns. The cat’s tail hangs down beneath the ‘bracelet’, just touching onto the back of his hand.

“All done!” he announces after the finishing touches have been added, letting go of Yoongi’s hand. Yoongi immediately misses both the warmth and the comfort of it. He stares at the design some more, faintly aware of the man’s unfaltering gaze on him.

“Do- do you like it?”

Yoongi looks up to see uncertainty in the man’s big eyes, his teeth chewing slightly at his lower lip, chapped from the cold. Yoongi can’t possibly fathom why he seems so nervous considering how utterly beautiful even the half-hearted doodles on the napkins are.

“Yes,” he breathes, and he’s not sure why he’s suddenly breathless. “It’s beautiful.”

He swears he hears the man breathe a sigh of relief. “I’m glad you think so.” His smile is shy now, as though he’s trying to hold back. Yoongi wonders how many other ways his smile can look, how many more smiles he has hidden away.

“Ah, how much…?” Yoongi asks, digging his wallet out from his pocket, being careful not to smudge the henna on his arm. The man states a price which seems far too low, to which Yoongi raises an eyebrow. He spots the price list hung up on one side, and instead hands over a sum that is definitely too much, especially judging how the doe eyed man’s already big eyes widen to the size of saucers when Yoongi insists he keeps the change.

“Oh, no, I couldn’t, this is-”

Yoongi smiles and shakes his head. “Please.”

He eventually gives in and stores away the money, bowing and thanking Yoongi profusely.

“Don’t mention it,” Yoongi says, and is about to leave but turns back at the last second.

“Why a cat?” he asks. Yoongi swears he sees the pink flush deepen on the other’s cheeks.

“I, uh, you remind me of one.”

Yoongi raises an eyebrow. “Oh?”

The other man looks away shyly, fiddling with his fingers. Yoongi stares a bit more before deciding he’s probably spent enough time there, and does really need to get something to eat if the way his stomach is protesting loudly is anything to go by.

“Well, I think I need to go.”

“Yeah, of course,” the artist says.

For the second time, Yoongi turns to leave, heading back down the cobbled street.

“Wait, what’s your name?” he hears the artist call after him.

“It’s Yoongi,” he calls back, noticing how the artist’s lips move as though repeating the syllables. Yoon-gi. Tasting the way it sounds on his tongue. Yoongi waits just a moment longer to see if he’ll say anything else, finally leaving when he doesn’t. He should have gone back then, he thinks, should have asked his name in return. Instead, he resolves to return to the little henna stall and the boy manning it, hoping they’ll still be there the next time he comes.

He grabs a sandwich from the nearest shop and eats it on his way back to his bakery. His lunch break is almost over. His exposed forearm is frozen, hairs all standing on end atop of goosebumps, but the design remains intact between them. It’s nearly completely dry now, the biting wind helping speed up the process. Cracks are already forming on the thinner lines, criss-crossing like spider web strands. Yoongi admires the design some more. It really is pretty. The cat is something he hasn’t really seen in henna designs before. You remind me of one. What was that supposed to mean?

The wind chime signals his arrival back at the bakery, warm air and the smell of cinnamon and fresh cookies smothering him like a warm blanket as soon as he steps inside.

“Oh, hey Yoongi,” Seokjin says, smiling at him from behind the counter.

Yoongi heads to the back room to shed his coat and scarf, after making sure the henna is completely dry and won’t be ruined by his sleeve, before he joins Seokjin. The shop is a little calmer now, just one or two people coming in every so often to have a look at what Tout de Sweet has to offer.

“Yoongi, sweetie, would you mind icing the cinnamon buns? They should have cooled enough now.”

Yoongi obliges wordlessly, making his way to the kitchen to prepare the icing. Sweetie. Seokjin always had a tendency to use pet names on Yoongi. He had become so used to it now that he didn’t even bat an eye, even when Seokjin uses frankly the most ridiculous names. Yoongi carefully drizzles the icing onto each of the cinnamon buns in the shape of a snowflake in festive spirit. Pretty much all their food was themed according to the season and time of year, unless a customer had asked for something specific. It’s slightly tedious—the baking and decorating, the early hours—but it’s fun. Yoongi loves it.

He and Seokjin had gone to university together; that’s where they met. They moved in together in their second year, and baked a lot at their apartment whenever they had free time. They always joked about one day opening a bakery together, although they never really meant it, even if their friends insisted they were good enough to do it. After they graduated, they both went their separate ways for a year or so, applying for job after job until finally they were accepted somehwere, both of them battling their own internal and external struggles. Yoongi ended up hating all the work he was doing, his days becoming meaningless and dull, finding it harder and harder to get out of bed each morning. Seokjin had wanted to be an actor. He, of course, needed to work other jobs alongside trying to find roles in anything he could just to earn enough money as well as build up his acting repertoire. He loved the acting, but he felt he needed a break around the same time Yoongi did. Somehow, they found each other again, and the bakery plans that were always a fantasy, a joke, became real. They spent a long time planning out how it would work, figuring out their budget and how much money they would need to borrow. They even took a few courses when they had time to help with running a business and managing finance and employees. It gave Yoongi more of a purpose, and it gave Seokjin the change he was looking for.

Six years later and somehow the business was going strong. Yoongi and Seokjin both had kind of expected it to fail at first, were fully prepared for the inevitable, but despite the competition of other bakeries, somehow theirs took off. It was something of a miracle.

So now Yoongi works days at the shop, nights he devotes to his music when he wants to, and it’s honestly a life he’d only dreamed of. Sure, it’s still hard, but everything takes hard work. Seokjin works at the bakery when he can but is getting back into acting, taking roles in local plays and musicals at the theatre. They’re a good team, and things are going well. Yoongi wouldn’t change a thing.

Well, maybe there are some things he would. He sometimes wishes for love—so many of his friends are already married now—but it’s not a huge deal. Nearly everyone feels that occasionally. Although, Seokjin doesn’t, and Yoongi envies him for that a little. Seokjin flirts outrageously with everyone, throwing out cheesy pick up lines, winks, and flying kisses all over the place, but he’s aromantic and aual and is perfectly content as he is. Yoongi wishes he was the same sometimes—content with how he is, that is. Not that he’s not—his self worth has grown so much compared with what it was all those years ago—but he still has this constant longing in the back of his mind, that he hasn’t yet been able to fulfil.

Yoongi finishes with the cinnamon buns and sets them out on the display beneath the counter.

“Hey, what’s that on your arm?” Seokjin asks, jutting his chin out in the direction of Yoongi’s henna tattoo to indicate what he means. Yoongi glances at it as though he doesn’t already know what’s there and shrugs.

“I got it done in my break. Some guy has a henna stall,” Yoongi waves his hand vaguely, trying to act nonchalant although he knows there’s a smile on his face that he can’t suppress. He’s not entirely sure why he is even smiling. Probably to do with something about the man’s smile and big eyes and the pretty designs and the henna cat he painted on his arm that reminds the as of yet nameless artist of him. Something about the unusualness of Yoongi getting a henna tattoo in the first place, of there even being a henna tattoo stall in Seoul in winter.

He glances up at Seokjin again, who is now looking at him with a knowing expression on his face. Seokjin leans back against the counter, lips curled up in a small smile.

“Oh, really?” he says with a slight quirk of an eyebrow.

“Yeah,” Yoongi replies simply, busying himself by reorganising the goods on top of the counter.

“You’re blushing.”

Yoongi splutters, trying not to destroy the pastries in his shock. “I am not!” he denies indignantly, because he isn’t . Why would he be?

Seokjin laughs at his displeasure, clapping a hand on Yoongi’s shoulder.

“It looks pretty,” he says when he finally calms down, pointing at the tattoo, and maybe Yoongi does blush then.

“Thanks, I think so too,” he replies quietly. “He—the artist—designed it. I told him to surprise me. He, uh, he said I reminded him of a cat?”

Seokjin stares at him for a moment before breaking out into laughter again.

“What?” Yoongi pouts at him, folding his arms over his chest.

“Nothing, nothing,” Seokjin manages out between laughs, “I can totally see it though. You as a cat.”

Yoongi huffs. “What’s that supposed to mean?”

Seokjin doesn’t get time to reply as the wind chime sings at that moment, indicating a customer, and with that they’re back into customer service mode.

It’s not until they’ve closed up shop and are back at their shared home that Seokjin brings it up again.

“I can’t believe I never thought of you being like a cat,” he sighs, and Yoongi is not sure why Seokjin seems so distressed over this fact. “I always say you’re like a sugar glider because you look like my Odengie and Eomukkie. Isn’t that right?” Seokjin turns to said sugar gliders, picking Odeng up and letting him wander around on his arm, cooing at him as he does so. “But cat fits so well! I’ve known you, what, ten years?”

“And three months,” Yoongi mumbles on auto-pilot.

“Right, and I never once thought of it, but this guy sees you for like five minutes and comes up with that!”

Yoongi sighs and puts the kettle on, hopping onto the kitchen counter beside it after he does so. “How, may I ask, am I like a cat?”

This prompts Seokjin to immediately break out into a terrible rendition of AOA’s ‘Like a Cat’, warranting a groan from Yoongi, who also brings his knees up to bury his face into them, as if it would prevent him from hearing Seokjin’s awful singing. Not that he’s a bad singer—he has a beautiful voice when he’s actually singing—but right now, he’s purposefully singing out of tune and off key and at a deafening volume.

“Why,” Yoongi mutters into his knees.

Seokjin finally stops singing—if it can be called that—in favour of laughing his signature windshield wiper laugh. Yoongi can’t help but join in after a minute or two.

“I’m still waiting for an answer,” he says, when they’ve both stopped laughing. He turns the kettle on again, having forgotten about it while Seokjin was busy screeching.

“Well, you look like one first of all.” Yoongi narrows his eyes at him, but the kettle finishes boiling so he sets about making his tea instead. “And you act like one.”

“Wow, descriptive,” Yoongi says, deadpan, “Thank you for clearing that up.”

He lets it go though, deciding that of all things he could remind people of, a cat isn’t so bad. He makes sure Odeng and Eomuk are safely away so they won't be indanger of being burnt before giving Seokjin his tea, hopping back onto the kitchen counter to drink his own.

“See? Like a cat. On the counter,” Seokjin gestures towards him.

Yoongi shakes his head and buries his nose into the sweet smelling steam of his apple tea instead. He contemplates meowing just to indulge Seokjin, or maybe purring, but decides against it. Another time, perhaps.

-

“You didn't tell me your name,” Yoongi asks the henna artist the next day, relieved that he's in the same place still.

The artist gives him a shy smile. “It's Jungkook. You came back?”

Yoongi fiddles with the hem of his glove. Jungkook. “Yeah, I did. Apparently.”

“So, Yoongi,” Jungkook says, and Yoongi feels his insides warm upon hearing Jungkook say his name, because, he remembered his name! “What can I do for you today?”

Yoongi is still in thought when a little girl comes bounding up to the stall, dragging who is presumably her bemused father behind her. She looks about four years old, and she's wearing a pale pink puffer jacket that nearly drowns her.

“Can I get one, can I get one, pleeease!” she babbles excitedly.

“I think this gentleman was here first, darling,” her father says, gesturing to Yoongi, “You're gonna have to wait.”

She pouts, stomping her foot and crossing her arms, letting out a little noise of annoyance.

“It's okay, she can get one first,” Yoongi tells the man, “I don't mind. Besides, I haven't decided yet.”

“Really?” the girl exclaims, posture immediately opening up again.

Yoongi laughs and he hears Jungkook laugh too from beside him. “Yeah, go for it.”

The father thanks him as his girl bounces onto the stool, eagerly pointing at a design she wants. It's of Anpanman, which makes Jungkook chuckle. Yoongi watches from the side as Jungkook struggles to paint on the overly excited child's hand, her father trying to get her to keep still while he works. Yoongi can't help but smile, and he notices Jungkook apparently can't too, a soft smile on his lips the entire time.

“So, you still want one?” Jungkook asks Yoongi once the pair have left.

“Why not,” Yoongi replies, shrugging.

“A surprise again?”

Yoongi grins. “Why not?”

This time Jungkook paints a design of the moon and stars on the inside of Yoongi’s arm. It’s just as pretty as the cat design. Judging by the doodles, sample designs on display, the Anpanman, and his own two tattoos, Yoongi doesn't think Jungkook could make anything that isn’t beautiful.

“Welcome back, sugar,” Seokjin greets him upon his arrival back at the bakery.

A smile finds its way onto Yoongi’s lips against his will. “Hey, Jin.”

“I was just about to head out actually—rehearsals for my new play are starting.” Seokjin makes his way around the counter, coat in hand, shoving his apron onto Yoongi. “Haeun just arrived though and unless I’m already senile and imagined it, the others are in the kitchen already, too.”

“You are senile,” Yoongi teases, but his tone is fond. It’s always fond when it comes to Seokjin, or any of his friends, really. “You old man. Do you want me to get you a walking stick?”

“Yah, how dare you! I’m only-”

“Three months older than me, I know,” Yoongi laughs and pushes Seokjin towards the door. “Good luck with your rehearsal!”

“Thanks, babes! See you!”

Yoongi chuckles and shakes his head as the door closes behind Seokjin, the tell tale tinkling sounding from the pretty pink metal pipes above it. Yoongi had once said he liked wind chimes—liked the sound of them—and only days later Seokjin decided he was going to put them up everywhere he could. There’s one at the bakery door, and two back at their house. It’s a wonder he still likes the sound given he hears it so much now, to be honest, but he still does. It’s so calming, somehow, and pretty sounding—magical almost. They have a hauntingly beautiful quality to their tone.

“Are you sure you two aren’t married?” Haeun asks once Yoongi has discarded his things and set up behind the counter.

“Oh no, we are,” Yoongi says, completely serious, “We got married in secret four years ago. We weren’t really big fans of having a massive wedding. We’re thinking of adopting a kid soon.”

Haeun gapes at him, clearly confused as to whether he’s telling the truth or what, until Yoongi bursts out laughing.

“Your face, oh my god,” Yoongi laughs, “You should have seen you!”

Haeun pouts but it lasts all of two seconds before she’s joining in the laughter. Yejoon emerges from the kitchen, drawn out by their loud display of happiness.

“What’s going on here?” he asks, a smudge of flour on his cheek and what looks like a whole bag of flour poured on his apron. Yoongi’s too busy trying to control his laughter to reply, or question the flour, which just prompts Yejoon to frown at them some more.

Haeun speaks up before Yoongi. “Don’t you think him and Seokjin act like a married couple?”

“You mean they’re not?” he replies without missing a beat. “You’re not?” he directs at Yoongi.

Yoongi had almost recovered from his laughing fit, but for some reason everything is incredibly funny, and Yejoon’s genuinely shocked face at the realisation that Yoongi and Seokjin are not married is just too much for Yoongi to handle, so he excuses himself to the back to compose himself before any customers come in.

“But they literally own a bakery together?” he hears Yejoon say, “And they live together?”

“Right?” Haeun replies. “Not to mention Seokjin calls him pet names, like, constantly.”

“You know, all our employees think we're married,” Yoongi tells Seokjin once he comes back from his rehearsals.

“Aren't we?”

Yoongi chuckles but quickly changes it into a face of disgust. “Who'd wanna marry you?”

Seokjin gasps and places a hand over his heart dramatically. “I think you mean, who wouldn't.

“Oh yeah, sorry, of course, who on earth could resist Mr Worldwide Handsome?”

Seokjin blows him a very overdramatic kiss before going over to the sugar gliders’ cage and letting them out.

After a pause, Seokjin says, “Yeah, as much as I love you, I don't wanna marry you.”

“I never asked,” Yoongi replies, “But, likewise.”

“Good.” Seokjin pauses, smirks. “I'll leave that for Mr Henna Artist instead.”

Yoongi chokes on air. “What?”

Seokjin's smug grin goes wider at Yoongi’s reaction. “Don't think I didn't notice your new tattoo. It's very pretty again, by the way. Like me.”

Yoongi scoffs. “You're unbelievable.”

“You didn't deny it though! And there is more to this henna guy--”

“Jungkook. He's called Jungkook.”

“Right, there's clearly more to this Jungkook than just his henna.”

“Shut up,” Yoongi mumbles, feeling his cheeks and ears burn. “Am I not allowed to just get a henna tattoo--”

Two, henna tattoos, but go on.”

“Fine, two henna tattoos, just because I feel like it?” Yoongi huffs.

“You’re so cute when you’re mad,” Seokjin says, “Like an angry little kitten.”

Yoongi doesn’t know what comes over him, but he decides it’s a good idea to hiss—actually hiss, like a cat—at Seokjin at his remark, and then proceeds to stand there, mortified, while Seokjin just grins at him.

“Yep, Jungkook really knew what he was talking about when he made that first design.”

“I’m done with this conversation, I’m leaving.”

Seokjin pouts and calls out after him, “Don’t leave me, my sugar plum fairy!”

“Dude, my room is literally right there.”

“Shh, I’m practising my acting!”

-

It’s no surprise—especially not to Seokjin—that Yoongi finds himself back at Jungkook’s henna stall in his break the following day. And the day after that. It becomes a sort of routine for the next week or so. Sometimes he gets another tattoo, sometimes he doesn’t, sometimes Jungkook designs it, sometimes Yoongi chooses. Sometimes he just keeps Jungkook company for as long as he can, chatting idly about anything that happens to come up, ranging from mundane small talk to (not really) heated debates. Sometimes he brings Jungkook a drink or some food from a nearby café or street vendor, noticing how long he’s standing out in the freezing cold for, and Jungkook’s always thankful, smiling widely so both rows of his teeth show and his nose and cheeks scrunch up cutely. Yoongi doesn’t think he’s ever seen a smile quite like Jungkook’s, quite as bright, as contagious, as cute. It’s nice, whatever it is they have with each other. Yoongi’s not really sure what he would call their relationship yet; were they friends? Or merely just acquaintances? Just strangers who happen to pay a little more attention to each other than most do? Either way, he looks forward to his breaks so that he can go over and spend time with the man—who he’s learned is 24, from Busan, henna artist and painter by day, and bartender by night—even if it is only for twenty minutes or so a day. And yes, as much as he denies it to Seokjin, he does have something of a crush on Jungkook. But that's not important.

“Why henna?” Yoongi asks one day, while Jungkook is mid way through painting a small forest stemming from his wrist on the previously untouched skin of his right arm, a couple of bungeoppang —one redbean and one chou cream—wrapped up and lying on the table next to him for Jungkook to eat later. “Why not become a regular tattoo artist?”

Jungkook hums, thinking for a moment. “I’ve always been indecisive. Can never decide what I want in any situation. So I guess, I like the semi-permanence of henna?”

Yoongi hums.

Jungkook continues, “To be honest, it’s probably not that deep, though. I just like the way it’s applied and I think it’s really pretty. And anyone can get one, even children, you know? It’s, like… I don’t know, I just like it.”

“Fair enough. To be honest, I’m glad. I wouldn’t have met you if you were a tattoo artist.”

“O-oh,” Jungkook says, momentarily stopping what he was doing. Yoongi notices the tips of his ears flush red.

“I’m done,” Jungkook finally announces, wiping the end of the henna cone with a tissue. “Be careful with that one, it’ll probably take longer to dry since it’s a bit thicker and bigger than the other ones.”

Yoongi marvels at it, as he does with all the designs Jungkook adorns his skin with. He’s pretty sure soon he’ll have more henna than skin. His left arm and hand are completely covered, and his right is getting there, although the cat design is just starting to fade, a faint orange rather than the deep brown it was a week ago.

“Thank you, again, this is even nicer than what I thought it would look like,” Yoongi smiles. Jungkook returns it.

“No, thank you. It’s nice to have a loyal customer, especially a cute one like you.” Jungkook looks momentarily mortified after he seems to realise what he said, but he makes no move to take it back, just watches Yoongi’s face to try and gauge his reaction. Yoongi, in turn, is just standing in shock, because did Jungkook really just call him cute? What did cute mean? Was it sugar-glider cute like how Seokjin called him, or the I’m-attracted-to-you kind of cute?

“Um,” is what he ends up coherently saying.

“Ah, sorry. I don’t think before I speak sometimes.” Jungkook reaches a hand up to rub at his nape, staring down at the table.

“No, it’s… I work at Tout de Sweet bakery. You should come by, sometime.”

Jungkook’s head shoots up to look at Yoongi, eyes slightly wider than usual. “I’d love to.” Despite the surprise—and excitement?—on his face, Jungkook’s voice is soft and calm. His voice is always soft, like something delicate. The only time it isn’t, is when he laughs—truly laughs. He laughs loudly and carefree when he does, throwing his head back with mirth. Yoongi loves it, finds it impossibly endearing—both his gentle, lilting voice, and his boisterous laughter.

“Great, that’s, uh,” Yoongi twists his earring between his fingers, “I look forward to seeing you there.”

Yoongi makes no move to leave, despite the lull in conversation, and the slight awkwardness between the two.

“Do you want us to make you anything? A particular cake or something?” Yoongi asks after some time. “For when you come,” he adds.

“Oh, no, don’t make anything extra for me, I’ll just…”

“It’s not a problem, really. We take custom orders all the time, if they tell us in advance.”

“Oh, um.” Jungkook picks up a henna cone and twirls it between his fingers as he thinks. He stops, looks Yoongi straight in the eyes as he says, “Surprise me.” His shyness almost instantly disappears, a hint of a smirk on his lips as he repeats Yoongi’s first request back at him. Yoongi almost feels like he gets whiplash from how sudden the shift in Jungkook’s expression was.

“Alright, surprise it is.”

-

“I swear to God, by Christmas day you’re gonna have two full sleeves of henna,” Seokjin berates him, but there’s no bite to his words.

“What’s wrong with that?” Yoongi defends. “Maybe I can finally live up to the punk, badass guy you thought I was when we first met.”

Seokjin snorts. “I never thought such a thing; I thought you were a fluffy little marshmallow from the start.”

Yoongi is about to retort, but Seokjin continues, “Besides, I really don’t think pretty, delicate henna designs counts as ‘badass.’”

“Shut up, they’re hella badass,” Yoongi says, pouting, making himself look frankly the opposite of badass.

Seokjin laughs wholeheartedly, and Yoongi swats half-heartedly at him to get him to stop.

Yoongi and Seokjin were both living in the same halls of accommodation at university, in rooms opposite each other, which is how they first saw each other. At the time, Yoongi had dyed mint hair and wore almost exclusively black and leather, with the chunkiest black platform boots he could find. He always had some kind of chains or chokers on, with bold rings and earrings that demanded attention. Seokjin, however, had seen him not two days after their first meeting walking half-asleep to the flat’s shared kitchen, wearing Kumamon pajamas and fluffy slippers, so his punk/goth image had unbeknownst to him been shattered. Seokjin of course, found it both hilarious and positively adorable, and never failed to tease a chagrined Yoongi about it constantly once they became close friends. Although Yoongi still often prefers to wear black, he does branch out into other colours frequently, and his hair is a (much less bold) russet brown now, like the colour of the last leaves of autumn.

“But seriously, what are you going to do tomorrow, get him to paint your face?”

-

He does not, in fact, get a henna tattoo on his face the next day, but what he does do is get one on his neck, just below his ear but not quite behind it. He’s tentative when he asks for it, not sure if Jungkook will do it, but the younger man happily obliges.

Yoongi’s not prepared, however. Because of the nature of the placement, Jungkook is extremely close to Yoongi, so much so that he can feel his breath on his skin, hot in contrast to the winter air. Jungkook’s hand is lightly resting under Yoongi’s chin as the other applies the henna. It’s strangely intimate. Yoongi’s heart is beating abnormally fast, and he’s worried Jungkook will not only be able to feel his erratic pulse on his neck, but also hear how loud it is thudding against his chest. The more he wills it to placate itself, the faster it seems to get. It’s over all too quickly though, and Yoongi finds himself missing the younger’s closeness once he backs away, despite his beating heart.

“Uh, here, let me show you what it looks like,” Jungkook says, pulling out his phone. He snaps a quick picture of it and shows it to Yoongi, who as usual is awestruck by it. It’s two interlocking hearts, each made up of roses. It’s simple, but still absolutely stunning. Yoongi absently wonders if the hearts are supposed to mean anything, but quickly catches himself. It’s just a design, nothing more. Hearts are common in tattoo designs.

“You’re really talented, you know?” Yoongi tells him sincerely, “I don’t know if I’ve outright told you before, but you’re amazing.”

Jungkook looks down at his hands, fingers playing with each other, but he’s beaming brightly. “Thank you. That- that means a lot.”

Yoongi smiles back, genuinely. Everything with Jungkook seems to be genuine. He may still not know him all that well, but nothing is ever forced around Jungkook. He goes to the stall because he wants to—likes to. He gets another tattoo almost every day because he wants to, stays there for long after the tattoo is done to talk to Jungkook because he enjoys the other’s company, compliments his designs because he means it.

“Oh, hi, Yoon. Back from your little da-” Seokjin stops mid-sentence as he looks up at Yoongi, eyes immediately locating the tattoo on his neck. He rushes out from behind the counter, strides up to Yoongi and inspects the tattoo, unceremoniously grabbing Yoongi’s face and tilting it so he can look at the design better. The scene causes the two customers in the shop seated at one of the few tables to turn and look at the pair, but Seokjin apparently does not seem to care.

“Seokjin, please let go of my face,” Yoongi mumbles from behind Seokjin’s hand. When he only smushes Yoongi's face up further, Yoongi Seokjin's hand, which seems to do the trick.

“Ew, gross,” Seokjin exclaims, wiping his hand on Yoongi's shirt. “Bad kitty.”

Yoongi rolls his eyes and shrugs his coat off, following Seokjin to the back of the bakery.

“And you said your tattoos were badass,” Seokjin laughs, “When you get the most delicate little flowery heart designs.”

“Jungkook chose this one.”

Seokjin raises an eyebrow. “Did he now? Interesting…”

“What is that supposed to mean?” Yoongi frowns.

Seokjin pats him on the head, and turns towards the kitchen. “Nothing, baby cakes. Get to work!”

Yoongi shakes his head and takes his place at the bakery counter, clearing his mind so he’s ready to face customers.

The after school/work rush starts, and Yoongi doesn’t even notice when Jungkook enters the bakery—he’s too preoccupied with the other customers. The other staff of course are there to help too, but it’s always a little hectic in the rush. It’s not until the traffic of people has died down a little that he notices Jungkook, standing off to the side by the window. The Christmas decorations along the edge of the window appear to be framing him prettily as he stands there, smiling softly, admiring the cute adornments hanging on the tiny Christmas tree they have on the windowsill.

Yoongi clears his throat. “Jungkook?”

Said man immediately turns to look at him, a tiny Pusheen plushie wearing a santa hat from the tree still in his hand.

“Hey,” Jungkook says. He attempts to hang the plushie back on the tree where it came from, but it falls—repeatedly. Yoongi chuckles at the sight of an increasingly flustered Jungkook, and makes his way round to put it back for him. Jungkook manages it himself by the time he gets there, though.

“So. You came.” Yoongi states.

“Of course! I said I would, didn’t I?”

“Um, Mr Min?” Misun says tentatively. She’s still fairly new to the bakery—a student, working here during the holidays, and she's awfully shy. Yoongi reckons after enough time spent around the rest of the complete lunatics comprising their staff team, she'll become one of them too.

“Call me Yoongi, honestly,” Yoongi says.

“Okay, um, Yoongi? Could you help with, uh…” She looks at the customer she was currently serving, and back at Yoongi.

“Be right back,” Yoongi tells Jungkook, and heads over to help Misun and the customer. It doesn’t take long, and then he is, quite literally, right back with Jungkook.

“So, where’s my surprise?” Jungkook asks, grinning mischievously.

Yoongi’s eyes widen. “Right! I forgot, um.” He rubs his neck, henna-covered hand on his henna-covered neck. “Give me a second, alright?”

He ends up settling for a chocolate tart. He knows Jungkook loves chocolate, since he’d told him as much when Yoongi inquired about which drink he preferred so he knew what he should bring him from the café. Jungkook doesn’t like the taste of coffee much, though he likes the smell; he prefers hot chocolate. He doesn’t mind lattes though, and reluctantly admitted he actually loves pumpkin spice lattes, as basic as they are. (Yoongi told him there was absolutely nothing wrong with liking cliché or popular things.) He likes vanilla and honey and cinnamon and hazelnut—at least, in his hot chocolates, but Yoongi assumes this carries to other foods too. So he figures a chocolate tart is a safe bet, and not to brag, but his and Seokjin’s tarts are amazing. He takes one of the undecorated ones in the kitchen and draws the outline of a bunny on it in white icing, then gives the bunny a santa hat using a strawberry and some whipped cream. He finishes by dusting it with icing sugar and cinnamon, and adds a sprinkling of nuts to one side of it, before boxing it up for Jungkook.

Jungkook is idly examining the display of foods below the counter when Yoongi comes back out. He immediately perks up when he sees him though, giving him his signature smile. Yoongi hands him the box wordlessly with both hands, even though the box is only small and could easily fit in one. Jungkook’s fingers brush Yoongi’s just slightly as he takes it from him. Yoongi watches somewhat anxiously as Jungkook tentatively opens it, relaxes as Jungkook beams widely upon seeing it.

“Did you decorate it?” he asks, still grinning.

Yoongi nods.

“It’s so cute!” Jungkook’s whole face is practically scrunched up from how big he’s smiling, and Yoongi thinks he made the right choice with his decoration. Also thinks: like you.

Seokjin’s voice from the kitchen brings Yoongi out of his trance. “Honey pumpkin, I need you to help me in here a sec,” he calls.

“Honey pumpkin, that’s a new one,” Yoongi mutters under his breath. Yoongi thinks he sees the smile on Jungkook’s face falter a little, but he’s not sure. He may have imagined it.

“Let me see what Seokjin wants. Feel free to take a seat, by the way,” Yoongi gestures to the tables lining one wall of the bakery, for customers who want to eat in.

“Can’t one of the others help?” Yoongi whines as he enters the kitchen again. “Jungkook’s kind of here.”

Seokjin spins around at the speed of light. “Jungkook’s here? Where? Why didn’t you tell me? Let me see him.”

Yoongi places a hand either side of Seokjin’s arms to keep him still. “Jin, shush, he’s right outside! He might hear you. Thought you needed me to do something, anyway.”

“Yeah, that can wait. You didn’t tell me we had a guest of honour!”

“Jin, seriously.”

Seokjin pouts. “Okay, fine. We’re almost at closing time now anyway so, here’s the master plan.”

Yoongi rolls his eyes, preparing himself for whatever nonsense Seokjin is about to spout.

“You go back out there to your lover boy--”

“He’s not--”

“And I’ll crouch behind the counter sneakily and watch. How’s that sound?”

Yoongi stares at him blankly, blinks a few times. “And why are you watching behind the counter?”

“Because you’re my entertainment! My real life drama! And I want to see this Jungkook that I’ve heard so much about.”

“You’re so weird.”

“I try,” Seokjin says with a bow.

“If that’s all, then I’m going to go…?”

Seokjin smiles borderline creepily. “Okay.”

Yoongi’s almost out the kitchen when he hears Seokjin add, “Go get ‘em, tiger.” He honestly doesn’t think Seokjin ever grew past the mental age of five.

Jungkook is now seated at one of the tables as per Yoongi’s suggestion, staring out the window. Misun must have given him a fork, because he’s eating his tart, and judging by his face, he doesn’t hate it. Yoongi slides into the seat opposite him.

“Hey. Again.”

Jungkook finishes chewing his bite, covering his mouth as he does, before saying “hey” back.

“Yeah, sorry about all this. Work can be pretty hectic sometimes,” Yoongi says.

Jungkook doesn’t say anything, just shakes his head, and Yoongi narrows his eyes at his quietness.

“Is it okay? The tart, that is. Do you like it?”

Instead of answering, Jungkook blurts out, “Are you two together?”

Yoongi blinks, taken aback. “What?”

Jungkook seems to shrink in on himself, trying to make himself smaller. “Y’know, you and, Seokjin, was it?”

It takes Yoongi a beat, but then he’s laughing. “Me and Seokjin? No way, ew.”

“Hey, excuse you!” Seokjin yells, popping out from behind the doorway to the kitchen. “I am an absolute delight! You’d be lucky to date me, blessed even!”

Yoongi shakes his head, not even surprised that Seokjin was eavesdropping on them. “Yeah, no. We’re friends, we live together, but no.”

Jungkook is visibly relieved, which causes Yoongi to tilt his head in confusion. There aren't many reasons Jungkook would inquire into Yoongi's dating life, even fewer for his relief upon finding the answer. So, did that mean Jungkook was interested in him?

“And yes, I do like it, Yoongi,” Jungkook says, bringing Yoongi back to the present, “It tastes amazing.”

Yoongi beams proudly. “Glad you think so!”

“But I have to ask,” Jungkook starts.

“Yes?” Yoongi prompts when Jungkook takes too long to finish his question.

“Why a bunny?”

Yoongi feels his face heat up. He drew the bunny for the same reason Jungkook drew a cat, of course. But now that he has to say it out loud, he’s just embarrassed.

“You remind me of one.” He says it so quietly and mumbled that he’s sure he’s going to have to repeat himself, but Jungkook starts laughing, indicating that he did hear.

“A cat and a bunny, huh?”

-

There are five days until Christmas day, and the bakery seems to be getting busier by the day. In all honesty, Yoongi’s not sure why—do people gift baked goods for Christmas? Are they just more likely to indulge in fresh sweets during the festive season? Or is it just the cold that makes people want to enter for the warmth and the heavenly smells of fresh baking? Whatever it is, the bakery is busy, so Yoongi stays longer into his lunch break to help. Soon enough, Haeun arrives for her shift and convinces him that they’re okay—that they have enough staff and enough stock already made, so he finally heads out. He buys some street food—spicy lamb skewers, tteokbokki, and hotteok, because he’s hungry and it’s cold, okay?—on the way, buying some extra for Jungkook.

When Jungkook notices his arrival at the stall, his eyes literally light up.

“Yoongi!” he exclaims, “You’re here!”

Yoongi his head. “Why wouldn’t I be? I’ve been here every day for, like, two weeks now.”

Jungkook bites his lip and looks away. “I know, but… you’re normally here earlier.” Jungkook mumbles the last part so Yoongi has to strain his ears to hear it. He then checks the time and realises it’s past three o'clock—over an hour after the time he’s normally there.

“Oh! Sorry, the bakery was just extra busy today,” Yoongi says. What he doesn’t say is how shocked he is that Jungkook noticed something like that, and how warm it makes him feel.

He shakes the thoughts out of his head, offering Jungkook the box of food instead. He takes it happily, long past the polite refusals after the first few times Yoongi had brought him something.

“No way, lamb skewers?” Jungkook looks at him with wide, excited eyes over his steaming bag of assorted food. “And you brought hotteok too? You’re a legend.”

Yoongi smiles, mentally notes that Jungkook likes lamb skewers and hotteok.

They eat in contented silence, both of them having desperately needed the fuel and warmth.

“So, what can I do for you today?” Jungkook asks once they’ve finished eating.

Yoongi smiles softly at Jungkook’s standard daily greeting. “Just your company today, please,” he answers. Jungkook smiles at that—the cute smile that makes him look like a bunny. Well, Yoongi doesn’t actually know of any bunnies that smile, but somehow the expression on Jungkook is very rabbit-like. Maybe it’s the nose scrunch more than the broad smile.

“That’ll be 50,000₩.” Jungkook extends a hand as if waiting for Yoongi to pay him.

Yoongi takes Jungkook’s hand without thinking and turns it over, bringing it up to his lips to gently press them against the back of his hand.

“I believe that should cover the cost,” he says, gently letting go of Jungkook’s hand, pretending as though he’s not completely and utterly mortified at his lack of brain-to-action filter—if there even is such a thing. Yoongi definitely doesn’t have one either way.

Jungkook’s mouth opens and closes a few times, his hand still floating in the air between them.

“Will you go on a date with me?” Jungkook blurts out, and then it’s Yoongi’s turn to become a fish personified.

“A date? W-with you?” Yoongi repeats.

Jungkook nods, eyes searching Yoongi’s for any notion of what he’s thinking.

Yoongi nods, eventually, then replies with a more firm “yes, I'd love to.”

Jungkook’s face goes from anxious to shocked to happy in the span of three seconds flat, a huge grin making its way onto his face.

“How about this Saturday?”

Yoongi thinks for a moment. Seokjin is going to a Christmas party with his co-workers from the theatre, so Yoongi would be alone once he finishes at the bakery. “Sounds good to me.”

“Great, so, meet me here, maybe? What time do you finish at the bakery?”

“Five-thirty, if I dump all the clean up jobs onto the others.”

“So, say we meet here at six then?”

Yoongi tries to bite back a smile. He can’t quite believe this is really happening, is partially convinced he’s actually dreaming. “I look forward to it.”

“So, Jungkook asked me on a date today,” Yoongi states as nonchalantly as he can manage when Seokjin arrives back home from his post-rehearsals grocery shop.

“That's nic- wait, what?” Seokjin almost drops the bag of groceries he was in the middle of sorting.

“Jungkook. He asked me on a date.” Yoongi doesn't look up from his phone, swinging his legs alternately where they dangle off the kitchen counter.

There's a pause, then Seokjin nods and says, “About time.”

Yoongi does look up at that. “What do you mean ‘about time’? We've known each other exactly two weeks and three days, not two years.”

“Hush, kitty, I'm playing the role of ‘best friend who's watched his two friends pining over each other for forever and are finally realising how stupid they both were for not realising it sooner.’” Seokjin waves a hand at him in dismissal, already recovered from his shock.

“Right,” Yoongi says slowly, “Whatever makes you happy.”

-

Jungkook comes to the bakery the next day, much to Yoongi’s surprise. It's not quite four o'clock yet, the bakery not quite too busy yet.

“What brings you here, stranger?”

“Oh, you know. I heard this place was good, thought I'd check out what it has to offer,” Jungkook replies, smirking, and instead of inspecting the food displays, he blatantly rakes his eyes over Yoongi's form, from his head to as far down as he can see with the counter blocking the view, and back up. Yoongi blushes despite himself.

“See anything you like?”

Jungkook has the audacity to bite his lip as he leans forward onto the counter, intense eyes not once leaving Yoongi. It's a little intimidating, and far from the bashful and sweet man Yoongi usually sees at the henna stall.

“I think there are a few things I'd like to taste.”

“List away,” Yoongi says. Honestly, he's just confused at this point, and definitely a little flustered. Maybe a lot.

Honey, ” Jungkook drawls in English, low and sultry, and for a moment Yoongi swears he stops breathing. ‘Honey’? Is he calling Yoongi honey? Or is he asking for honey? It's not like honey is something they sell. At least, not on it's own.

“W-what?” is what Yoongi manages to say in the end.

“Bread,” Jungkook says, pushing back away from the counter, expression suddenly all too innocent. “Honey bread. Cinnamon, with whipped cream and chocolate sauce, please.” Jungkook points to said item on the little menu for eat-in desserts resting atop the counter by the till. Yoongi wonders when he'd even looked at it, considering he'd been staring at Yoongi like he wants to devour him the entire time since he came in.

“Oh, sure. Coming right up,” Yoongi says as he punches Jungkook's order into the machine in a daze.

“Oh, and also add the sweetest thing there is in this bakery to my order.”

Jungkook smiles and Yoongi stares blankly, fingers hovering over the buttons.

“That's you, by the way,” Jungkook says and winks. He actually winks.

“Um.” Yoongi continues to stare, his face aflame. He's very thankful that there aren't many customers in store at that moment, and it's only Misun on counter duty with him. Even if she had been watching them, she's too shy to about it. Haeun, on the other hand, would be cackling before Jungkook even leaves, and Yejoon would probably be making over exaggerated facial expressions at them from the sidelines. And Seokjin, well. Seokjin would probably quietly film him, and then unleash the chaos after the fact and bother him about it constantly. Or maybe he'd just pretend to gag. Or he'd join in. Who knows really—Seokjin is highly unpredictable; he doesn't decide half the things he does until he's actually doing it. Out of all of them besides Misun, only Xinyi would probably bother him the least in this situation.

But it's just Misun, and she's currently facing the other way, serving a customer.

And Yoongi is currently still standing and staring at Jungkook, probably looking something like a flabbergasted tomato, if tomatoes could be flabbergasted.

“You're so cute,” Jungkook says. This doesn't help Yoongi's situation at all.

“I'll go get them to prepare your dessert,” Yoongi says, if only for some relief so he can clear his mind. Jungkook was just flirting a little, it's not that big of a deal. Besides, they're supposed to be going on a date, an actual date, tomorrow anyway.

He relays Jungkook's order and takes a deep breath in, then lets it out. Yejoon gives him a funny look but doesn't otherwise say anything. He returns to find Jungkook still standing in the same spot. He's twisted around to look out the window though. Yoongi stares at him—as if he hasn't been doing enough of that already, but he can't help himself. Jungkook is stunning, in a sort of understated way. Not drop-dead, in-your-face beauty, but still absolutely gorgeous. His face is relaxed, pink lips slightly parted, his chestnut hair falling into his eyes just a little where his fringe is slightly overgrown, eyes that are flicking around to take in the whole scene in front of him, following the movement of people as they walk past the window. Yoongi tears his eyes away from Jungkook to follow the line of his gaze instead, looking out onto the street. Snow is falling softly but it's not sticking, though it's beautiful all the same. It's starting to get dark but the streets are still busy, lit up by the setting sun and the plethora of Christmas lights adorning every streetlight, every building, every post.

Yoongi clears his throat, drawing Jungkook's attention back.

“It should be ready in about fifteen minutes. Feel free to take a seat.”

“How much is it?”

“Huh?”

“How much-”

“Oh! Yes, money. Things cost it. Right.”

Jungkook lets out an airy laugh and pays Yoongi the amount he states. He remains by the counter while he waits for his dessert, just watching as Yoongi works. Yoongi, in turn, has now managed to compose himself somewhat, and is proud to say he manages to work efficiently for the next ten minutes or so without Jungkook’s gaze affecting him.

It’s not like he’s never been flirted with before, so logically he shouldn’t be this affected, but somehow he is. Maybe it’s just because he was caught off guard by it, or because he’s still not fully registered that Jungkook reciprocates his feelings, at least somewhat. Or maybe it’s just been too long since anything like this has happened. Not that it really matters what the reason is.

-

Yoongi heads to the bathroom in the bakery to change for his date on Saturday once they’ve closed up. He’d brought a change of clothes with him that morning, unwilling to go home in between lest he be late for his date. His outfit isn’t anything too fancy—it’s still winter after all, and he hadn’t realised until that morning that Jungkook never actually told him what they were going to do, so he dons a simple white turtleneck sweater with the nicer pair of black skinny jeans he owns. It’s not too different from his normal outfits in all honesty, but at least the black jeans are actually black, and not faded from overuse and flour despite the fact that he wears an apron.

Haeun walks past to find him fussing with his hair in the mirror, and takes it upon herself to become his hair and makeup stylist. There’s not much that can be done with his hair, and it’s so windy outside that it wouldn’t make a difference what they did to it, so she focuses on makeup instead. Yoongi doesn’t normally wear much makeup, if any, but he’s not opposed to it. Hell, he used to wear heavy eyeliner, nail varnish, even eyeshadow and occasionally lipstick. He’s definitely not going back to his old look, but he lets Haeun use what she has in her bag to subtly touch up Yoongi’s face—a hint of blush, slightly shimmery, purpley-brown eyeshadow rather than eyeliner to line his eyes faintly, and subtle lip tint, darker at the inside of his lips and fading out towards the edges, because Haeun insists he would look amazing with it. And, well, he doesn’t exactly think otherwise. She even adds clear lip gloss once she’s done and Yoongi has to refrain himself from his lips repeatedly and ruining it before he’s even left.

Finally ready, he throws his dark grey overcoat on along with a pair of gloves, and makes his way over to the main square where he is supposed to be meeting Jungkook. He’s seen Jungkook so often in the last couple of weeks that it should hardly feel any different, but Yoongi still feels the telltale butterflies, even if it is just a little.

Jungkook is already there when Yoongi arrives, standing under a streetlamp as though it’s a spotlight just for him. (He doesn’t need the spotlight for Yoongi’s eyes to be drawn to him, however.) He doesn’t look any different to how he usually does, though his regular padded jacket has been replaced by a dark blue double-ed coat, which fits him well instead of engulfing him like the other jacket does. He looks good, as always.

“Hey,” Yoongi says imaginatively.

Jungkook, however, is just staring at him, and Yoongi starts to shift under his gaze, subconsciously touching the strands of his hair with his fingers and tousling them. Jungkook’s eyes flick to his lips a couple of times—or at least Yoongi thinks they do. Maybe the lip gloss was too much.

“Hi,” Jungkook finally says. “You look, uh.” He swallows, fidgets with the lapel of his coat. “You look good.”

Yoongi smiles, and instead of responding says, “Here. I brought these for you,” as he pulls out a small box from his pocket and holds it out for Jungkook.

“Cookies!” Jungkook’s eyes light up upon opening the box, his smile lighting up too. “Thanks, Yoongi!”

“No problem!” Yoongi replies, smiling back. “So, what are we doing tonight then?”

Jungkook replaces the lid on the box and stores it safely in his pocket, before saying, “Get in, loser, we’re going shopping.”

Yoongi snorts, he can’t help himself. “You’re not even in a car right now. What am I supposed to do, get in your pocket?”

Jungkook grins and opens his pocket wide. “I think you’ll fit nicely, just next to the box of cookies.”

Yoongi shakes his head, smile never leaving his face. “Okay, but seriously? Shopping?”

“Trust me, come on.” Jungkook holds out his hand for Yoongi to take, and Yoongi’s heart skips a beat. He gladly accepts, but looks away as he does, his free hand fiddling with his ear while his smile tries it’s best to become a permanent feature on his face. Granted they’re both wearing gloves, but the gesture is still the same, and anyone who knows Yoongi knows he’s a er for hand holding.

The mall is pretty busy, and surprisingly warm inside—Yoongi’s starting to regret wearing a jumper (though he knows if he just wore a shirt underneath his coat he would have frozen to death before he made it five minutes outside). He looks over at Jungkook after removing his coat and almost does a double take—almost has a heart attack, for that matter. Yoongi realises it’s the first time he’s seeing Jungkook without a massive jacket on and, well. Well. He’s wearing an almost translucent white button down with the sleeves rolled up to the elbows. His forearms are… nice, and his chest is. Nice. His biceps, too—also nice. Jungkook brushes his hair back with his fingers, tilting his head back as he does, and the shaking his head a little to get the strands in place. Yoongi swallows, tries to shake himself out of it.

Yoongi clears his throat. “So. Where to?”

“Follow me.” Jungkook takes Yoongi’s hand again, and this time there are no gloves blocking them. Jungkook’s hand is warm in his. It feels nice.

The mall is pretty, lit up with Christmas lights, and with a giant Christmas tree in the centre.

Yoongi’s nostrils are immediately filled with the overwhelming smell of chocolate as he follows Jungkook into a store. Yoongi laughs upon seeing what Jungkook has his eye on.

“Free hot chocolate samples? We came all the way here for free samples?”

Jungkook grins as he takes two of the tiny cups and hands one to Yoongi. “Can’t say no to free samples. Besides, they have the best hot chocolate.”

Yoongi has to agree—the hot chocolate is amazing, even if all he got was a thimble’s worth.

“But no, that’s not all we’re here for.”

“Oh? Do enlighten me.”

“We’re shopping! Like I said.”

Yoongi groans.

“Come on, it’ll be fun!”

Jungkook drags him into the nearest clothing store and scans the shop quickly from where they stand.

“So, the idea is, we both pick out outfits for each other and then try them on. Deal?”

Yoongi snorts. “This is your idea of a date?” He’s smiling though, and there’s no malice in his voice.

“Shut up.” Jungkook playfully shoves Yoongi’s shoulder. “It’s nice to feel like a kid again sometimes. But don’t worry, I have more stuff planned.”

“I look forward to it.” Yoongi looks around at the assortment of clothes, thinking. “So, I can pick anything at all I want for you?”

“Them’s the rules.”

Yoongi drops his face into his hands slowly. “Why.”

Jungkook giggles. “What? Them’s is!”

“I don’t know you.”

Yoongi is not sure how wild Jungkook is going to go on this strange little game, but he decides to go all out and try and find the items of clothing with the most horrendous animal prints and colours that definitely do not go together. His final outfit for him is a bright green snakeskin patterned blazer, a neon pink shirt, and some weird black trousers with orange feather patterns on them. Honestly, do people actually buy this stuff?

Jungkook breaks out into a fit of laughter when Yoongi presents the items to him, doubling over and even drawing the gaze of a few random shoppers. Once he’s calm enough he hands Yoongi his clothes—a weird, sparkly silver suit with an equally sparkly fedora. Yoongi is seriously questioning the fashion industry right now if they actually make and sell things like this.

They head to the fitting rooms, and Jungkook suggests they use the same cubicle, because it’s big enough right?

It’s not. As soon as the door is closed, Yoongi realises that there’s a lot less space than they previously thought there was, so he’s standing very, very close to Jungkook’s very nice chest and arms. In fairness, there is enough room for the both of them, but not a comfortable amount. Yoongi doesn’t think he’ll survive if they get changed like this. Jungkook shirtless? Right in front of him? Mirrors on both sides? Not a good idea. They stand there for a moment, Yoongi trying hard not to stare, before Yoongi says, “You know what, I think I’ll go to a different one.”

“Yeah, okay,” Jungkook replies breathily. Yoongi thinks he sees a hint of a flush on the younger’s cheeks as he blows out a puff of air. Why he even suggested using the same dressing room in the first place, Yoongi has no idea.

Yoongi changes into the suit, being careful not to mess up his makeup as he does so. The suit is absolutely ridiculous. Yoongi almost laughs out loud just looking at himself in the mirror.

“Jungkook, you ready?”

“One sec,” he hears from behind the door, along with a stifled laugh. The door opens and Jungkook strikes a flamboyant pose. Yoongi cracks up. Jungkook looks even more ridiculous than he does, though somehow he still doesn’t look entirely bad.

“Wow,” Yoongi says between laughs, “You look amazing.”

“I know, right?” Jungkook laughs. “And you look… shiny. So shiny~” he sings in the tune of Shiny from Moana.

Like a treasure from a sunken pirate wreck, ” Yoongi sings back on pure instinct, and they both start laughing again.

“I look like I belong on a Christmas tree. Or actually, on Tamatoa’s shell,” Yoongi states, looking at the obscene amount of sequins on the clothes with a mixture of distaste and wonder.

“Well, at least, unlike Tamatoa, you don’t need to make yourself shiny to be a work of art.”

It takes Yoongi a moment to register Jungkook’s words, but then he’s sure he’s blushing as he tries to suppress the smile that’s fighting for permanence once again.

“I-i’m gonna go change back.”

They pick out a few more outfits for each other from a few different shops, some of them being actually nice outfits, but most just for a laugh. It’s not what Yoongi expected he’d be doing on a Saturday evening on a date, but it’s surprisingly fun in its ridiculousness.

“Yoongi, try these on!”

Yoongi rounds the corner to the aisle Jungkook is in and stops dead in his tracks when he sees what Jungkook is holding.

“Those are women’s,” he states. “And I’d never fit into them.”

“Aw, come on! You can be as tall as me for once in them!”

Yoongi scowls. “I’m fine down here.”

Jungkook pouts, but Yoongi refuses to give in. Even if he wanted to wear the cute, baby pink platforms—which he doesn’t, of course, even if he does still have a few outfits from his pastel goth phase that they would match really well with—Jungkook is holding, he couldn’t fit into them if he tried—the biggest size they have is a seven.

They leave the heels behind and continue on, just idly looking around at stuff rather than actually trying it on now.

“Here,” Jungkook says, and before Yoongi can turn around he feels something being placed on his head. When he does turn around, Jungkook all but squeals, and takes a picture on his phone, much to Yoongi’s displeasure. He pats at his head to try and figure out what it is, while Jungkook just coos at him. He already suspects what Jungkook put on him, but finds a mirror to confirm—and yes, those are indeed cat ears on his head. Cat ears.

“So I still remind you of a cat, huh?”

Jungkook smiles sheepishly at him through the mirror.

“Why?” Yoongi asks, tilting his head quizzically.

“Your eyes.”

Yoongi turns around to face him properly instead of through the mirror.

“My eyes?”

“Yeah. They’re kinda, shaped like a cat’s eyes.”

“Don’t cats have round eyes?”

“Huh.” Jungkook seems confused, then pulls out his phone, shortly bringing up images of cats and finding one that apparently has a similar eye shape to Yoongi and pointing out how they look the same.

“Oh,” Yoongi says eloquently, though he’s still dubious.

“Also, your smile, sometimes. It was mainly that that actually that made me draw it, actually. When you smile without your teeth showing, your mouth and eyes do the thing and you make the cat face.” Jungkook rubs at his nape, chewing at his lip slightly.

After a pause, Yoongi says, “Are you saying I make the colon three face when I smile?”

Jungkook giggles. “Exactly!”

“Oh.”

Yoongi smiles with his lips pressed together, hoping he’s making the so-called ‘cat face’ Jungkook is talking about, and well, Jungkook says “cute” and takes another picture, so he probably is.

They end up buying the cat ears. Jungkook puts them on Yoongi again, and he doesn’t object.

It’s nearly half seven by the time they get to the food court, and barely twenty minutes later Jungkook is dragging them out again, Yoongi struggling to finish the last bit of his noodles in time, because, “we’ll be late otherwise, I booked for eight!” Yoongi just follows, as he has been all evening, just wondering what the next surprise is going to be.

Turns out, it’s ice skating. It closes at nine, so Jungkook had already booked them for an hour from eight. They put on their skates and step out onto the ice of the temporary rink that is set up every winter in the centre of Seoul, Yoongi a little more hesitant than Jungkook.

“Come on, you’ll be fine! Don’t be scared,” Jungkook says, offering Yoongi a hand.

Yoongi huffs. “I’m not scared.” He steps onto the ice without Jungkook’s help, but immediately latches onto the wall. Jungkook laughs under his breath but holds his hand out again for Yoongi to take, and he accepts it this time.

Snow starts to fall as they skate, starting off slow but building into flurries of thick flakes. Yoongi stops skating to look up at it, letting the snowflakes press gentle kisses to his face. He closes his eyes and just lets the cold air wash over him, lets the crystals embrace his whole body, ignoring the cold and wet they leave behind.

When he opens his eyes again he finds Jungkook gazing at him from a little ways ahead. Yoongi notices for the millionth time how beautiful he is, under the soft white lighting of the open-air rink, snowflakes falling all around him. It’s like he’s the only one there, Yoongi suddenly isn’t even aware of the other people in the rink. Jungkook’s hair is a little messy, still being tousled by the steady wind, a couple of snowflakes hanging onto the brown strands for dear life. Pink flowers bloom across his nose and cheeks, and it somehow gives Yoongi the urge to kiss every inch of Jungkook’s blossoming skin, pink lips on pink skin, to cup his frozen cheeks in his warm palms and place a kiss on his cute nose.

Yoongi doesn’t even realise who skated towards who or when, but suddenly they’re much closer, so much so that the little clouds that form with their breaths merge with each other.

“Hi,” Yoongi says lamely.

“Hi,” Jungkook repeats. He gently away a stray strand of Yoongi’s hair that had fallen into his eyes. “You’re gorgeous,” Jungkook says, catching Yoongi off-guard. “I don’t think I’ve told you before, but you are.”

“O-oh, thank you.” Yoongi ducks his head, smiling widely, sure his already burning cheeks are colouring themselves an even darker red than what the cold had already painted them. “You’re not so bad yourself.”

He looks up at Jungkook again to see his signature grin adorning his features.

“Come on, did I pay for us to just stand here or to skate?”

Yoongi laughs. He pushes Jungkook to the side lightly and speeds off as fast as he can, yelling, “Race ya!” over his shoulder.

“Hey, not fair!” he hears Jungkook complain behind him, but he doesn’t bother to turn around.

He’s not even made it halfway around the rink when something grabs his arm. He tries to push him off, but ends up losing balance and crashing onto the floor, bringing Jungkook with him. The ice is burning, but Yoongi hardly pays it any mind—too busy laughing, as is Jungkook.

“Not fair,” Yoongi says between giggles, still sprawled on the floor.

“You pushed me first!”

“But did you fall?”

“Well, I did now,” Jungkook laughs.

Yoongi shoves at Jungkook’s leg playfully before scrambling to get up so they’re not blocking the path of the other skaters. “And who’s fault is that?”

Jungkook pouts and extends his hands towards Yoongi, asking for a hand up. Yoongi thinks about it dramatically, before waving Jungkook away and beginning to skate off.

Jungkook makes a noise of offence. “Wow. Top ten anime betrayals.”

Yoongi laughs so hard he has to hold onto the wall to keep from falling over again. Jungkook finally gets up off the floor, dusting the ice from his clothes and shaking his hair, little droplets flying in all directions from the tips of the strands.

They continue to skate, hand in hand most of the time. Yoongi’s cheeks are aching from a combination of the cold and from smiling so much—he can’t remember the last time he’s smiled this much. It’s nice. Jungkook’s nice.

Their clothes are soaked through and their hair a mess by the time they leave the ice rink, snow still falling heavily around them. It’s starting to stick in some places, the rooftops of houses dusted with sugar like they’re made of gingerbread.

“So, got any more surprises planned?” Yoongi asks as they aimlessly walk around, hoping Jungkook does. As much as he’s seen the younger man in recent weeks, he still can’t seem to get enough of him. It’s also the first time they’ve spent time with each other properly—no customers interrupting their conversations, no lunch breaks coming to an end, no more shifts starting. It’s just the two of them.  

“I have one more. What do you say we get hot chocolate first? I’m freezing.”

“Hot chocolate sounds amazing.”

They locate a coffee shop and eagerly relax into its warm embrace. It's fairly empty—no surprise given the time. Despite the comforting atmosphere, they get their hot chocolates to-go per Jungkook’s request. Yoongi cups his in both hands, curling all his fingers round the warm material to maximise heat absorbance as he tucks his face deeper into the neck of his jumper to brace himself against the onslaught of cold. It’s mildly more manageable now—the cold that is—now that Yoongi’s numb fingers are warmed up by the drink, the steam from it rising up to kiss his face too. The streets are near deserted, their only company the steadily falling snowflakes. It’s so peaceful, somehow—the soft lighting from the streetlamps and Christmas fairy lights, the snow, the calm streets, walking side by side with Jungkook.

“Jungkook, where are we going?”

Jungkook smiles into his hot chocolate. “You’ll see. I want to show you something.”

“Ooh, cryptic,” Yoongi replies.

Jungkook bumps into Yoongi's side gently, smiling, but doesn't say anything further. They walk for another ten minutes or so, until finally Jungkook leads them into an apartment block. They take the lift to the top floor, and then climb a set of rickety metal stairs that Yoongi’s mildly afraid will collapse under their weight, to the rooftop.

“So, this is it,” Jungkook says, shrugging, a sheepish smile on his lips. “I come up here sometimes when I’m, I don’t know, overwhelmed maybe? The atmosphere is nice up here, and no one really comes up here. And obviously there’s the view.”

Yoongi hums, heading over to the wall at the edge of the roof to better look at the cityscape stretching out before him. He leans against the wall, still clutching his now mostly empty hot chocolate in both hands. City views are always beautiful, but with the addition of the Christmas trees and lights sprinkled everywhere, and the dusting of snow, it looks magical. Jungkook joins him, resting his arms on the wall just next to Yoongi, mirroring his position.

“Pretty,” Jungkook says, and Yoongi hums in agreement before turning to look at him and realising Jungkook is already looking at him, not at the city.

Jungkook reaches out a hand and lightly touches one of the ears on the cat headband that Yoongi had forgotten he was still wearing.

“Do you want to come to my place?”

Yoongi nods, turning to look out over Seoul again. It seems to stretch on forever. Yoongi feels insignificant in comparison to the vastness of the city, the world—but not in a bad way. It’s just an observation.

“Cold,” Yoongi says after another couple of minutes of taking in the scene and finishing off his carefully nursed hot chocolate. “Let’s go inside.”

He follows Jungkook’s lead once again to his apartment, a couple of floors down from the roof. The first thing Yoongi registers when he enter the room, is the smell—a mixture of paint and parchment that just screams artist, which is no surprise really. The next thing Yoongi notices screams artist even more; there are paintings, sketches, doodles, and designs everywhere, literally—strewn somewhat haphazardly across the surfaces and hung up on the walls amidst photos of who Yoongi assumes are Jungkook’s friends and family. Some are framed, but most are just blu-tacked to the wall in what Yoongi would call a stylistically messy collage, some of the pictures overlapping each other. The paintings range from pencil sketches, to black and white ink drawings, to full colour pieces. They’re all incredibly beautiful. Yoongi feels as though he’s in an art gallery—would definitely pay to see them if they were in one.

Apart from the art, the rest of Jungkook’s apartment is immaculately clean. The bed (Marvel comics printed) is made, with a stuffed bear (curly, honey-coloured fur, wearing a necktie) sitting on top, resting against the cushions (one Captain America’s shield, the other plain red). There are no clothes on his floor, no dishes in the sink or left out on the table, no cupboards left open. Above the headboard of his bed hangs a string of fairy lights to which some small photos and artworks are attached with pegs.

“Wow,” is all Yoongi manages to say, standing in the middle of Jungkook's bedroom, still gawking at all his art.

Jungkook pulls his sleeves down over his hands and plays with the hem of them, watching Yoongi as he inspects his room. Yoongi makes his way over to Jungkook’s desk where the majority of paintings rest, both on the desk and on the wall above it. Jungkook’s art style is mesmerising. It’s somewhere between impressionistic and photo-realistic, and the paintings seem to be bursting with magic, somehow. They have a slight feel to them that reminds Yoongi of Pre-Raphaelite artwork, but with more variation in subject matter. The aura is the same though—that same sense of ethereal beauty seen in the Pre-Raphaelite women comes across in Jungkook’s art, at least to Yoongi, and Jungkook definitely has an affinity for flowers just like the paintings of that time. His eyes are drawn to one of the paintings on the desk, propped up to rest against the wall. It’s a cobbled street, empty save for one person: Yoongi. Or at least, it looks like Yoongi—same oversized grey overcoat, same dark copper hair, same massive knitted scarf. Yoongi picks it up subconsciously, delicately holding the canvas panel between his fingers. It shimmers in the light as Yoongi tilts it like it’s been sprinkled with fairy dust. The edges of the painting are blurred and fuzzy, like the out-of-focus part of a photograph.

“Oh, uh, that’s,” Jungkook flushes bright red, bringing a hand to his mouth, nibbling on his thumbnail. “I mean, it’s. Well, it’s you.” He lets his arm drop back down to his side, but his gaze remains locked on the floor. “Obviously. Apparently, you’re a good source of inspiration.” He looks up at Yoongi through his lashes, still fiddling with his sleeves.

“You’re really good,” Yoongi says, setting the painting back down. He’s honestly just completely overwhelmed and flattered by the fact that he could provide inspiration for Jungkook, and that Jungkook would paint him in such a pretty and delicate light. “It’s gorgeous. All of them are, and all of these,” he adds, gesturing to his arm though his sleeves cover most of the henna.

Jungkook grins brightly. “Maybe I should add cat ears to the painting.”

Yoongi groans and makes to finally remove the damn cat ears headband, but Jungkook catches his hand.

“No, keep it on. It’s cute.”

Yoongi chuckles and shakes his head. “Literally, just get a cat.”

Jungkook his head. “Why would I need a cat when I already have you?”

Yoongi swats at Jungkook’s arm, though he’s smiling. The cat ears stay on.

They leave Jungkook’s room and settle on the couch in the tiny living room attached to the kitchen, coats discarded on the hooks by the entrance, snuggled up in blankets and plushies and cushions. They turn on the TV, settling on a channel that’s playing an old, American, black-and-white romance movie. Jungkook clutches his box of cookies that Yoongi had given him, while Yoongi hugs a giant Snorlax teddy.

“What are you doing for Christmas?” Jungkook suddenly asks, just as the two protagonists on the screen are about to kiss.

Yoongi hums, shrugging slightly. “Not much, if I’m honest. Jin and I were probably just gonna stay home and watch movies, maybe bake something if we feel like it.” To be honest, Yoongi’s family never really did anything special on Christmas. The most they did was set up a Christmas tree beforehand, with Yoongi almost always in charge of the decorations for it because it was his favourite part. Yoongi and his brother would also decorate the rest of the house with lights and paper snowflakes and tinsel, and the habit lasted until they were older. But despite the Christmassy look of their house (often the most decorated in their small neighbourhood), on Christmas day they didn’t really do much. Their grandparents would come over sometimes, and they might have a Christmas dinner but that was pretty much it, as his family wasn’t really very religious so what they did was mostly to please the kids who wanted to do the Western traditions they saw on TV. They didn’t even always get each other presents. Christmas wasn’t exactly Chuseok, after all. “You?”

Jungkook breaks a piece off the cookie he was holding. “I didn’t… have any plans, actually. My parents are away on holiday, and my friends are all busy with their own plans. This will be my first Christmas alone, actually.”

Yoongi nudges Jungkook’s thigh with his knee. “You’re welcome to join us, if you want. Seokjin won’t mind.”

Jungkook looks at him, bright eyed, covering his mouth while he finishes the bite of cookie in his mouth. “Really?”

“Yeah, of course. I’ll send you my address. Just stop by whenever you want.”

Jungkook raises an eyebrow. “ Whenever I want?”

Yoongi laughs. “Within reason, of course.”

Jungkook offers Yoongi a cookie and he accepts gladly as they both turn back to the movie.

“It’s late, you can stay the night? If you want,” Jungkook offers a little while after the movie (and the cookies) are finished.

Yoongi shifts on his feet, hesitant.

“It’s past midnight. I have plenty of space.”

“Um, alright.”

“Yeah?”

Yoongi nods. “I’m gonna need to borrow some of your clothes to sleep in though, these jeans are not exactly the best sleepwear.”

Jungkook laughs. “Sure. Or I mean,” he winks, “You could just wear nothing.”

Yoongi pulls the neck of his turtleneck up and hides his face in it, pressing his hands to his face to keep the soft material in place. “That’s it, I’m not staying. Goodbye,” he says, but stays standing where he is.

He feels something hit him, and lifts his face out of his sweater to see a pair of sweatpants and a shirt on the floor by his feet, looks further up to see Jungkook standing in the doorway, grinning.

“Ow,” Yoongi says, far too long after the fact.

Jungkook giggles.

Yoongi ends up taking the couch after insisting to Jungkook that he doesn’t need to offer his bed, but then Jungkook ends up hauling his mattress (Yoongi helps once Jungkook gets stuck in the doorway) onto the living room carpet and sleeping there, much to Yoongi’s confusion and amusement.

“So you’re not alone,” Jungkook reasons, “And so I can keep an eye on you. Make sure you don’t steal anything.”

Yoongi laughs as he cocoons himself in the two blankets Jungkook gave him. “While you’re sleeping?”

“My spidey senses will start tingling.”

“Then why do you need to be in the same room?”

Jungkook thinks for a moment, but just says, “Shut up,” in defeat.

When Yoongi wakes he’s surprised to find himself not on the couch, but on the mattress on the floor. He turns over and, yes, Jungkook is still there, also on the mattress. He must have rolled off the sofa and in a sleepy daze got on the mattress instead of the sofa.

“Morning,” Jungkook mumbles in a gruff voice, eyes still closed.

“You’re awake?”

Jungkook hums.

“Oh. Morning. Sorry for invading your space. I uh, didn’t mean to.”

Jungkook cracks a smile. He turns onto his side to face Yoongi and wraps an arm around him so he’s hugging Yoongi close to his chest. Yoongi is probably blushing, and is trying not to breathe to avoid letting Jungkook smell his morning breath.

“I did.”

“Hm?”

“Mean to. I meant to invade your personal space.”

“O-oh.”

Yoongi tucks his chin down, the top of his head pressing into Jungkook’s chest, curls his legs up so he’s in foetal position.

“Let’s sleep more. I’m still tired.”

Yoongi hums, his own eyes still feeling heavy too. He suddenly remembers the bakery, realises he needs to go.

“No, wait, what time is it?” Yoongi asks, rubbing his eyes to keep from falling asleep.

Jungkook groans. “I don’t know. It’s Sunday, why does it matter?”

“Work,” Yoongi says and reaches around on the floor for his phone. It's seven-thirty, so the bakery hasn't opened yet. Luckily, it's not his day to come in early to start on the baking—Yejoon and Xinyi should be there for that today—but he does still need to go, and preferably before they open at nine.

“Oh, right,” Jungkook mumbles, “Work.”

He releases Yoongi from his arm’s grip around him and stretches loudly while Yoongi groggily gets up.

Yoongi heads out after a breakfast of French toast and some berries with Jungkook at around eight-twenty. The sky outside is overcast and a thin layer of snow rests atop everything, crunching pleasantly under Yoongi’s boots. Yoongi’s not even made it to the end of the street when Jungkook comes running after him.

“Wait, Yoongi!”

Yoongi stops in his tracks and spins around, confused until he sees what is in Jungkook’s hand.

“You forgot this,” Jungkook says as he once again places the cat ears on Yoongi’s head.

“Are you ever going to let this go?” Yoongi laughs.

Jungkook grins, teeth showing and nose scrunching. “I’ll think about it.”

Yoongi boops Jungkook’s nose for absolutely no reason, which causes Jungkook to somehow smile even wider.

“Hey look, a cat!” is how Yoongi is greeted at the bakery by Seokjin, who Yoongi is surprised is even there considering he was out at a party all night. “I’ve always wanted a pet cat.”

Seokjin strides over to Yoongi and literally starts petting his hair despite Yoongi’s glare. Yoongi then decides it’s a great idea to meow, actually meow, which causes Seokjin to just coo even more, running his hands more boldly through Yoongi’s hair and rubbing at his neck like he’s an actual cat.

Xinyi pops her head around the door to the back room to see what’s going on, and Yoongi glances at her through the corner of his eye. All their employees already think they’re insane, and well, most of them think he and Seokjin are married, so Yoongi doesn’t honestly care that Xinyi is watching them do… whatever they’re doing right now.

“You guys good?” she asks with a quirk of her eyebrow, evidently stifling a laugh.

Yoongi hums, and Seokjin gasps loudly at the sound.

“He’s purring!”

Yoongi finally jerks back from Seokjin, swatting at his hands. “Alright, enough.”

“See, exactly like a cat. You enjoy it at first and then suddenly flip and pretend you weren’t the one nuzzling into my hand.”

Yoongi nearly chokes. “Oh my God, I was not nuzzling!”

“Yep, he’s denying it,” Seokjin turns to Xinyi who’s watching them with amusement, “Just like a cat.”

“Okay,” Xinyi says slowly, “I’m gonna get back to my brioche. We’re almost open, you should, you know, go out front?”

“Excuse me, who here is the boss?” Seokjin scolds jokingly.

“Sometimes, I question that myself. Anyway, see ya losers!”

Seokjin makes a noise of offence. “How dare you speak to your superiors that way!”

Yoongi shakes his head and removes the cat ears along with his coat, and puts one of their pale blue and pink aprons on. Xinyi has been working with them almost since the beginning. She’s Chinese, but she moved to Korea once she got married so she and her wife could live together. She’s an excellent baker, and an all round lovely person, if a bit snarky. She’s kind of adopted Misun—for some reason the girl is most comfortable around Xinyi compared to the rest of them. Yoongi thinks Misun finds the rest of them a little intimidating, and he doesn’t blame her to be honest. Xinyi flips personality completely around Misun, acting all gentle and soft and comforting, even though Misun only works on the counter while Xinyi is usually in the kitchen.

They’re a good team, all of them. The bakers all take turns with who has to come in early to get the process going for the day to make life easier for all of them. Xinyi specialises in the more savoury items and in breads, while Seokjin and Yoongi are better at desserts, and Yejoon does a bit of both. Haeun and Misun don’t bake, but help out at the counter and cleaning up and all the necessary but boring tasks.

Yoongi sometimes still wonders how he and Seokjin managed to pull this off—he honestly didn’t know the slightest thing about business, and baking was just a hobby. They started off with just the two of them but of course it quickly became difficult to manage, and they had to figure out how to hire staff to help. It’s funny. If you’d asked the Yoongi of ten years ago what he thought he’d be doing in ten years time, this wouldn’t even have crossed his mind, but he honestly couldn’t have asked for a better turn of events.

He hopes Jungkook becomes another one of those unexpected but definitely welcome events in his life. A serendipitous happening.

Hopefully it will last. Even if it doesn’t, Yoongi thinks it doesn’t really matter—it’s only been a couple of weeks, but that time since he’s met Jungkook has been magical in a way that transcends the regular winter magic of Christmas and fairy lights and snow. Even if he never sees Jungkook again, this Christmas will still exist in his memories.

Yoongi shakes his head at his own sappy thoughts, drawing himself out of his reverie as the pretty sound of the wind chimes indicates their first customer of the day.

“So, cat ears, huh?” Seokjin says to Yoongi on their drive home, a teasing lilt to his voice.

Yoongi crosses his arms and slouches lower in the passenger seat. “Shut up.”

“You’re whipped already.”

“Am not!”

“Uh-huh, sure you’re not.”

“Shut up.”

Seokjin laughs.

“By the way,” Yoongi speaks up again after a short while, “I told Jungkook he could come over for Christmas. Is that okay?”

“Yep, you’re whipped.”

“He said he was going to be alone otherwise! On Christmas!”

Seokjin imitates a whip sound, and Yoongi would smack him if Jin wasn’t driving.

“Fine, maybe I am. Just a little,” he admits quietly.

Surprisingly, Seokjin just smiles—doesn’t again.

“He’s fine to come over, by the way. He can stay the night if he wants, too.”

Christmas eve comes and goes, much the same as any other day, and then it’s Christmas day. The bakery is closed for the day, so Yoongi allows himself the luxury of sleeping in a little. Seokjin is already awake, always the early riser. They both are to be honest—Yoongi likes the atmosphere of the early morning before the city has fully woken up yet, silence outside save for the birds singing sweetly and the occasional car passing by. His schedule became much more regular ever since they started the bakery, just something about having a proper structure to his day. It really helps. Of course, there are still days where he stays up until four am, pouring out the lyrics or music filling his brain before the inspiration floats away and nothing remains but the shadow of the idea he’d had, like the remnants of a dream after you wake up, but for the most part he keeps a regular sleeping pattern.

Yoongi enters the kitchen to find Seokjin sitting by the window, sipping coffee out of a white ‘World’s Best Boss’ mug (courtesy of Yoongi and the other employees at the bakery) as he gazes at the falling snowflakes beyond the glass, looking somehow both very Tumblr and like he’s in a Renaissance painting.

“Mornin’ darling,” Seokjin greets him upon noticing his presence. “Sleep well?”

Yoongi hums. “Merry Christmas.”

“Right back at ya, cupcake.”

“Mm. I want a cupcake.”

Seokjin laughs. “We can make some later. With your paramour.

Yoongi makes a face as he pours out his cereal. “My what now?”

“You know, your inamorato. Dearest. Beloved. Lambkin.”

“You’ve been exposed to too much Shakespeare.”

Seokjin sighs dramatically. “You’re right, I have. I need to act in The Book of Mormon, or Jesus Christ Superstar instead.”

“Oh lord, save us.”

“Oh! Or how about A Very Potter Musical? ” Seokjin laughs. “And you can act in Cats.”

Yoongi groans, resisting the urge to faceplant into his bowl of cereal. “I don’t even act.”

“You don’t need to, you can just be yourself.”

“Oh my God.” Yoongi facepalms.

They’re sprawled out on the couch, Odeng in Yoongi’s lap and Eomuk on Seokjin’s shoulder, the TV playing Elf, when the doorbell rings.

“Yoongi, honeycomb, would you get that? It’s probably your swain anyway.”

“‘Honeycomb?’ ‘Swain?’ What even…” Yoongi mutters as he deposits Odeng onto Seokjin’s lap and stretches before heading to the entrance.

Sure enough, it is Jungkook (his ‘swain’) at the door, clad in the same navy jacket. He’s looking above Yoongi, not at him, so Yoongi follows his gaze and—oh. Mistletoe.

“Huh. That wasn’t there yesterday,” Yoongi says, more to himself than to Jungkook. “Jinnie must have put it there.”

Yoongi looks back at Jungkook, who is just standing there, frozen, gaze flicking between the mistletoe and Yoongi.

“Are you coming in or…?” Yoongi asks after another few seconds of stillness pass.

Jungkook nods. “Yeah, thank you.”

Yoongi steps aside to let Jungkook in, and as Jungkook enters he brandishes a small bouquet of gorgeous red and white flowers from behind his back, and presents them to Yoongi.

“Uh, these are for you,” Jungkook says, “Merry Christmas!”

Yoongi takes the flowers, struggling to contain a smile as he brings the bouquet under his nose. “You too! Thank you, these are pretty.” Like you, he thinks.

He shows Jungkook inside, leaving him in the company of Jin while he safely deposits the flowers in a vase. He comes back into the living room to see Seokjin kneeling in front of Jungkook, kissing the back of his palm as though he is but a humble servant in Jungkook’s presence. Jungkook, on the other hand, just looks completely bewildered.

“It’s a pleasure to finally make your acquaintance, Monsieur Jeon.”

“Um, you, too?”

Jungkook looks to Yoongi for help and Yoongi laughs. “Don’t mind him, he’s an actor.” He knees Seokjin in the side, which gets him to stand up again, but not before clutching his side and gasping like he’s been wounded.

“Yeah, the loser’s Seokjin, as you probably know. And that’s Eomuk and Odeng,” Yoongi points out the two sugar gliders who are back in their cage in the corner of the living room.

“Welcome to our humble abode!” Seokjin says, making jazz hands, and Yoongi elbows him.

Jungkook laughs at their antics, surely still confused but no longer shocked.

“Thank you for letting me come over,” Jungkook bows politely.

“Any time,” Seokjin replies with a smile.

“You named them odeng and eomuk?” Jungkook asks, referring back to the sugar gliders, genuinely baffled at the odd name choice.

Yoongi laughs. “Yeah, that was Seokjin’s idea. He’s obsessed with food.”

“I am not!” Seokjin denies, but immediately retracts it. “Okay, maybe a little.”

The three of them make themselves comfortable on the sofa and watch the rest of Elf, as well as Die Hard once that has finished because, “shut up Jin, Die Hard is the best Christmas movie, what do you mean, ‘not a Christmas movie?’” Jungkook backs Yoongi up so Seokjin gives in. He actually likes the movie as well, he just doesn’t think it’s really a Christmas movie. That and the fact that he just likes to wind Yoongi up.

The movie finishes and Yoongi stretches, muscles stiff from being curled up on the sofa for so long. He looks over at Jungkook to find him already looking his way, an expression he can only describe as ‘fond’ on his face. He quickly looks away again.

“Who’s hungry?” he asks.

Seokjin sets some doenjang-jjigae leftover from the day before (because there is nothing wrong with leftovers if they taste amazing, and besides, it’s cold. Soups and stews are a necessity) on the stove to heat up. Yoongi also orders some lamb kebabs because he loves them, and he knows Jungkook likes them too.

“Oh, I forgot,” Jungkook says while the jjigae is being heated, springing up from his chair. “I have something for you.” He disappears into the entrance where he’d left his bag, shortly returning with two envelopes.

“I’m sorry I didn’t get you guys anything proper, but here.” Jungkook hands Yoongi and Seokjin their respective envelopes. Yoongi opens it to find a hand painted Christmas card. A Christmas tree stands tall just to the left of the centre, lit up with pretty lights and decorations while snow falls around it against a backdrop of the night sky. The words ‘Merry Christmas’ are written in the top corner in a beautiful, cursive font, white against the navy sky.

“Thank you, Jungkook,” Yoongi says as he opens the card to find even more beauty. It’s painted navy blue inside with a small snowman in the bottom left corner, looking up at the message written in the same beautiful script. There are snowflakes all over, and Yoongi is astonished at the detail clearly put into each one. “Seriously. You’re probably sick of me saying this now, but I’ll never be sick of saying it, so: it’s gorgeous. You’re amazing.”

Jungkook smiles proudly. Yoongi sets his card on display on the windowsill, and Seokjin does the same after thanking Jungkook too. His card is a robin perched on a snowy tree branch, and just as pretty as Yoongi’s. The snow on both of their cards glitters subtly as it catches the light.

“I know it’s not an actual gift, I’m sor-”

“Jungook,” Yoongi cuts him off, “It’s fine. More than fine. This is better than a present anyway, definitely way better than what I have for you…”

Yoongi heads to his room to get his presents for Seokjin and Jungkook, since they were on the subject. The two peel off the bright wrapping paper that's covered in festive dancing owls, Jungkook opening his carefully along where Yoongi taped it so as not to rip it, Seokjin just tearing it off. Seokjin starts laughing his windshield wiper laugh once he opens the first one—a book on How to tell if your cat is plotting to kill you.

“Hint: he most definitely is,” Yoongi says.

The second present Yoongi got for Seokjin is just a box of some of his favourite chocolates. Jungkook’s is a leather-bound journal that looks like it came straight out of a medieval fantasy film, with a tree engraved onto the front and a gemstone embedded in the centre. He also got him a pair of flower shaped night lights that he happened across in a shop one day.

“I don’t know if you even use journals, and I just thought the lights were pretty and kind of matched the aesthetic of your room, and well, I always like having night lights on rather than the main light so I-”

Jungkook sets the items down on the table and cuts him off with a hug. “Thank you, Yoongi.”

Yoongi feels his cheeks heat up as he smiles over Jungkook’s shoulder.

Jungkook releases his grip and Yoongi clears his throat.

“Okay, now how about we actually eat? I’m still starving.”

They make cupcakes after they’ve finished eating. It feels surprisingly natural, having Jungkook in the house. It’s like he’s always been there, like he belongs. The only thing that gives it away is the fact that he’s unfamiliar with the layout of the kitchen, so Yoongi has to keep pointing out where everything is, and the fact that he’s ever so slightly shy still. Seokjin leaves them to it—but not before making them promise not to eat all the cupcakes without him once they’re done—so it’s just Yoongi and Jungkook and the half-done cupcake batter left. Jungkook gets less shy once Seokjin is gone, more teasing and playful.

Yoongi jumps up onto the kitchen counter as he reads the rest of the recipe, Jungkook putting his stupidly toned arms to use by mixing the batter beside him.

“Okay, so once that’s done we need to separate some of it for the chocolate part.”

Jungkook hums and stops mixing, only to dip his finger into the batter and smear it on Yoongi’s nose. Yoongi gasps and fakes a scandalised look.

“Hey! What was that for?”

Jungkook grins mischievously and swipes some more on Yoongi’s cheek this time. Yoongi retaliates by doing the same back to Jungkook, who breaks out into a fit of giggles and attacks him again.

“Okay, okay, enough. I’d like to actually have some cupcakes left,” Yoongi laughs, swiping at the mixture on his nose with his thumb and it off. Yoongi freezes as Jungkook then cups his face and cleans his cheek with his thumb, even going as far as to the batter off said thumb. He pulls back from Yoongi as though nothing happened and cleans his own face. Yoongi blinks a few times before dismounting from the counter to get another bowl for the the chocolate part of the cupcake batter.

“Can you pass me the cocoa powder, please?”

Jungkook obliges and hovers behind Yoongi as he adds it to the batter, resting his chin on Yoongi’s shoulder.

“Do you not get bored of baking?” he asks out of the blue.

Yoongi hums in thought. “Do you get bored of art?”

Jungkook pauses before answering. “I guess. Sometimes.”

“Same for me.”

Jungkook hums and Yoongi can feel the vibrations from it travel through his shoulder. “Fair.”

“Besides, I don’t really get to eat what we bake at the bakery. And it’s not like chefs don’t cook once they’re home. Now go make yourself useful and start putting some of the vanilla batter in the cupcake cases.”

Jungkook giggles and detaches from Yoongi’s shoulder, fetching the rainbow-coloured cupcake cases from the cupboard Yoongi indicates and setting them in a tray, and starting to spoon some of the mixture into them.

“Not too much,” Yoongi instructs, “We still need to add the chocolate layer and another of vanilla. And they’ll rise.”

“Got it,” Jungkook says, furrowing his brows in concentration as he tries to get the perfect amount in each one. Yoongi finishes mixing the cocoa powder and follows behind Jungkook, adding a small amount to each case, then finally topping them all with some more vanilla batter and swirling them a little to marble them together.

Once in the oven, Yoongi takes his usual spot on the counter, one of the empty bowls of cupcake mixture in hand as he it clean. Jungkook takes the other bowl but attacks Yoongi’s face with it again instead of eating it. Yoongi attempts to defend himself from the onslaught with the wooden spoon, countering Jungkook’s advances. It doesn’t prove to be very effective though, as Jungkook wraps his hand over the one Yoongi has on the spoon, keeping it still, and uses his free hand to smear a stripe of chocolate down Yoongi’s cheek. Yoongi yanks his hand back, dragging Jungkook with it, and counters by rubbing his batter-covered hand all over Jungkook’s face. They’re both in hysterics and there’s cupcake batter everywhere. It’s not until he feels a pressure on his thigh that he realises the position they’re in. Jungkook is standing between Yoongi’s legs almost flush against the counter, face merely inches from Yoongi’s, a hand resting on his upper thigh. They’re practically the same height like this. Yoongi finds himself holding his breath as he does nothing but stare back into Jungkook’s eyes—big, pretty, intense eyes. His hair is side parted today, so his eyes are no longer obstructed by the chestnut strands. Jungkook begins to lean forward a fraction, but enough so Yoongi notices. Yoongi is starting to feel lightheaded from not breathing properly.

“We should make the frosting,” he blurts out in a panic.

Jungkook nods and steps back almost frantically.

“Wait, you still,” Yoongi gestures to Jungkook’s still batter covered face.

“Right,” Jungkook says, pawing at his face with the back of his hand but only succeeding in spreading it around his skin more instead of cleaning it. Yoongi laughs and hands him a napkin, taking one for himself too.

The frosting doesn’t take long to make. They split it half chocolate and half vanilla, like the cupcakes. By the time they finish, the cupcakes are also done, but they have to let them cool before they can decorate them. Yoongi takes a deep breath in through his nose, savouring the warm smell of fresh cake. They take one each, because even if it’s not frosted yet, who can resist warm, freshly baked cake? Yoongi leans against the counter and ends up sliding down to sit on the floor, because honestly, what even are chairs? Jungkook gives up his seat at the kitchen table to join him, leaning against the the cupboard the other side of the corner next to Yoongi so he’s at a right angle to him. He nudges Yoongi’s foot slightly with his, and Yoongi smiles, curling his toes a little.

“This is so good,” Jungkook almost moans at the taste of the cupcake, and Yoongi can’t help but agree.

“It’s because you helped make it.”

Jungkook giggles. “Of course it is, I’m perfect.”

Yoongi shakes his head and smiles fondly. “You are.”

Jungkook kicks Yoongi’s ankle softly. Yoongi looks at him over his folded knees. Jungkook is smiling softly but surely, the corners of his eyes crinkled.

They stay like that for a good hour, just lost in conversation, lost in each other, while the cupcakes cool above them. Seokjin comes in at some point and gives them a funny look upon seeing them sitting on the floor, but just takes the cupcake he came for and leaves them alone.

There’s a lull in their conversation, and then Jungkook startles Yoongi by taking his hand—not lacing their fingers together, just holding it like it’s a piece of art, admiring it. Yoongi looks from his hand in Jungkook’s to Jungkook’s face, eyes wide, but Jungkook’s eyes are focused on his hand. The hand he’s holding has a sun painted on the palm, and a feather attached to a ‘bracelet’ on the back. A dreamcatcher is attached to the other side of the henna bracelet, extending up his arm, though his sleeves cover it right now.

“Jungkook?”

Jungkook traces the pattern of the feather, and then continues his line down Yoongi’s finger. It nearly makes him shiver, the feeling of Jungkook’s soft fingertips drawing lines along his hand. It’s different than the feeling of henna on his skin—makes him shiver for a different reason, not because of the cold.

“Jungkook…”

Said man immediately lets go of Yoongi’s hand, drawing his own hands back and hugging them close to his stomach.

“Sorry, I…”

“It’s fine,” Yoongi says, still in a bit of a daze. “Let’s finish the cupcakes, shall we?”

“Right, yeah.”

Jungkook stands quickly and dusts his jeans off, before offering a hand to Yoongi. Yoongi makes to take it but Jungkook pulls it away, a mischievous grin painting his face.

“Hey, what was that for?” Yoongi pouts, crossing his arms, still on the floor.

“Payback for the ice rink.”

“Oh, come on,” Yoongi says, laughing at the memory. “It was your fault we fell anyway.”

The cupcakes, quite frankly, look amazing once they’re finished. There’s maybe slightly too much frosting, but hey, it’s Christmas—they can indulge a little. The half-and-half piped swirls of frosting are topped with silver balls on some, little sugar stars on others—like baubles on mini, chocolate and vanilla Christmas trees.

Yoongi calls Seokjin who emerges from his room like a summoned demon.

“You called?” he starts, before eyeing the cupcakes. “They look good.”

“Thank Jungkookie, he did most of the decoration,” Yoongi says, the nickname slipping past his lips unconsciously.

Jungkook preens under the praise, though he’s clearly trying to hide his pride behind a bashful smile.

It’s dark outside—has been for a few hours—but Yoongi still finds himself gazing out the window as they eat their cupcakes, even though he can’t see much. It’s cold and dark and snowing, and Yoongi has hot chocolate—the only thing missing is a warm fireplace to sit by, but unfortunately their modern little flat doesn’t have one. They’ve migrated to the living room now, a mug of hot chocolate and a couple of cupcakes each, sitting upon a sheet that Yoongi set down to protect their carpet from crumbs. Seokjin joins them as they set up the ‘Game of Life’—a board game Yoongi found in one of their cupboards, hidden away and previously unopened, forgotten about. Jungkook reads out the rules, the board now set up. They each get a little car, and a person and pet to go in it. Yoongi takes a girl just because why not, and a pet cat.

“I feel personally betrayed,” Yoongi says, hand over his heart in mock offence when Seokjin picks up the dog figurine instead of a cat. “How could you do this to me?”

“Well, seeing as my cat is apparently plotting to kill me, I thought I’d go for a dog instead.”

“Yoongi, it said to take a pet, not an extra person,” Jungkook speaks up. Yoongi’s confused until realisation hits him.

“I had that coming, didn’t I?”

Jungkook laughs and places his little yellow car with a boy and a cat in it on the board.

The game is fun in a really stupid way—spin the spinner to move that many spaces and pick up a card based on where you land, then do what the card says. Only, the cards just have ridiculous things on them, like “you went scuba diving! Describe a sea monster you saw,” and somehow Yoongi’s dancer with no degree and a 50k salary is able to go scuba diving as well as buy a villa and even trek the Great Wall, and get money for doing it. If only real life were like that.

A few turns into the game and Yoongi lands on the space that says “Get married.” Seokjin gives him a boy peg without even asking.

“Excuse you, what is this heteronormativity? My baby girl, Cassandra, will have a wife, thank you very much.”

Jungkook laughs which makes Yoongi smile too, and Seokjin switches the boy for a girl, shaking his head.

By the end of the game, Yoongi’s car is full with his girl (a dancer, who he named Cassandra), her wife (Juniper), their cat (Snuffles), and a twin boy and girl (Abel and Audrey). Seokjin and Jungkook take great amusement in Yoongi’s naming and constant narration of his game family’s life as they went through it, though they themselves didn't name theirs. Yoongi called them both boring for it, and cruel for letting their personas go through life nameless. Seokjin finishes with only his boy (a vet), his wife and their dog, no children, while Jungkook's policeman and his husband have three children by the time they get to 'Retirement'.

Despite Yoongi reaching ‘Retirement’ first, once they’d added up all their money it turned out Jungkook won, much to his delight and the others’ displeasure. In game logic, more children gets you more money—50k per child! What a life the people in the game live.

“Do I win anything?” Jungkook asks, smirking.

“Bragging rights?” Yoongi suggests.

“A kiss from your beloved, perhaps,” Seokjin says, an evil smile playing on his lips.

Jungkook makes eye contact with Yoongi and quickly looks away, face flushed.

“Aw, what? You guys aren’t going to indulge me?” Seokjin pouts.

“Why are you like this.” Yoongi shakes his head and starts gathering the various pieces of the board game.

“You’re staying the night, aren’t you?” Yoongi asks once they’ve packed the game away, still seated on the carpet of the living room, except for Seokjin who is coddling the sugar gliders the other side of the room.

Jungkook pauses, in thought.

“If you don’t mind, then please.”

“Of course we don’t mind!”

“Thank you.”

Yoongi leans back onto the heels of his hands and looks out the window again. All he can see is his own reflection and the streetlamps, and the reflection of Jungkook sitting across from him, feet tucked underneath him as he too gazes out the window.

“You okay?”

Jungkook nods. “Of course. I'm with you.”

Yoongi snorts and uncrosses his legs to kick Jungkook gently, leaving his legs stretched out in front of him.

“Come to my room?”

“Sure.”

Yoongi's room pales in comparison to Jungkook's, with it's minimal design, slightly messy desk, and the few plushies sitting atop his black and white constellations printed duvet. Nearly every thing in his room is black and white, unlike Jungkook's colourful art-covered walls and Marvel bedspread. Instead of art on his desk, Yoongi has his producing equipment. Jungkook immediately migrates towards it, carefully running his fingers over the white teeth of the keyboard.

“Can you show me some of your music?”

Yoongi hesitates, nudging at his foot with his other one.

“Yeah, okay.” He joins Jungkook at his desk and powers up his laptop. “Why not.”

He sifts through his files, skipping past all the drafts and unfinished pieces, all the ones he made but ended up not satisfied with, to find one that he is proud of. He offers Jungkook his headphones and hits play, standing back to study Jungkook's face almost nervously as he listens. Jungkook closes his eyes, but his face doesn’t give anything away about what he's thinking, so Yoongi's left in slight unease for four minutes until the song finishes playing. The song he chose is purely instrumental, though it does use a few small vocal samples from Seokjin in the background.

Jungkook lowers the headphones around his neck and spins around in the chair to face Yoongi when it finishes, his eyes somewhat wide.

“You're really good!”

“You liked it?”

“Yes! It was amazing!”

Yoongi rubs at his nape, smiling shyly. “Thanks, I, kinda like that one too.”

“Good.” Jungkook laughs. “How come you don't do music full time?”

Yoongi sighs. “I used to want to, but,” he shrugs, “I started hating it, I guess, once I had to do it. It's just more of a hobby now. I prefer that.”

“That’s fair.” Jungkook pauses, turning his attention back to Yoongi’s laptop. “Can you, maybe, play me another one?”

Yoongi laughs and leans over Jungkook to get to the laptop. He plays a slightly older track, one in which he raps this time. Jungkook’s eyes widen, and he restarts the song after about a minute of it starting.

“That’s you rapping, right?”

Yoongi nods.

“Whoa.”

Yoongi smiles at the floor, tucking a strand of hair behind his ear. He can’t help but relish Jungkook’s praise, even though he does have a moderate following on SoundCloud and YouTube for his music, and often gets a decent amount of praise for his songs on there.

Yoongi leaves Jungkook’s side to sit on his bed, bringing his legs up and swivelling round to sit cross-legged at the foot of it, facing the headboard. He picks up his Kumamon plushie and absently fiddles with its ears while it sits in the gap between his legs. He pats the space in front of him when Jungkook doesn’t move from the swivel chair at his desk, beckoning him to join him on the bed. Jungkook does, tucking one leg underneath him and letting the other one dangle off the bed. Somehow, Yoongi finds the position impossible endearing.

Neither of them says anything for a while. Yoongi’s brain is running through a million entirely unhelpful conversation starters, trying to think of something to break the silence.

“I like you,” Jungkook suddenly says, and Yoongi freezes, eyes growing wide, gripping the poor Kumamon plushie so tight his knuckles turn white

“What’s your favourite colour?” comes tumbling out his mouth involuntarily, since it was the last thing his brain had provided before Jungkook’s confession. “I mean, sorry, I didn’t mean t-”

“White,” Jungkook answers anyway, “Yellow too, and I used to like red a lot. But white and yellow are just so refreshing.”

Yoongi hums, kneading the teddy in his hands subconsciously. “Mine’s black, but I like white too. I’m sure you could tell,” he adds, chuckling quietly as he looks around his mostly monochrome room.

He releases the grip his fingers have on the black plush, and hugs it tight instead, leaning down to rest his chin on top of it. He hears a camera shutter and snaps his head up to find Jungkook grinning, phone in hand.

“Hey!”

Yoongi scrambles forward and snatches the phone, but Jungkook has already locked it. Yoongi presses the power button anyway but is frozen staring at the lock screen before he can even try and guess the passcode. He blinks at the picture a few times until the screen fades to black again. Jungkook’s lock screen in the picture he took of Yoongi in the mall that day, wearing the cat ears and smiling the cat face. He looks up at Jungkook again, the other man staring intently at the pattern of constellations on Yoongi’s duvet as though they’re the most interesting thing in the world, tracing them with his finger, the tips of his ears tinged red. Yoongi wordlessly hands his phone back to him.

“You looked cute, okay?” Jungkook says tentatively, as if he’s worried Yoongi will be mad. Yoongi’s definitely not mad—more flattered than anything. Endeared.

Yoongi shakes his head. “You’re cute.”

“What?”

“I like you too.”

“What?” Jungkook repeats, louder this time, almost shouting.

Yoongi smiles, simply repeats, “I like you.”

“Oh.” Jungkook blinks, before a huge smile breaks out across his features. “Oh!”

“Yeah,” Yoongi says, for lack of something better to say. “Hey, one sec.”

Yoongi slides off the bed and walks the short distance to his bedside table just behind where Jungkook is sitting. He fiddles with the switch on his night sky projector lamp until it’s on the setting he likes, then turns off the main light so they’re left only with the projected, spinning stars and moon, gently easing into different colours. It doesn’t provide much by way of light, but it’s enough that they can still see each other. Yoongi resumes his original position on the bed and watches Jungkook stare up at the steadily moving stars travelling across the walls and ceiling.

“I mean, it said on the box it was a “kid’s” night light, but who says adults can’t use it too, right?” Yoongi laughs, scrunching up some of the duvet underneath him in his hands.

Jungkook chuckles and turns his attention back to Yoongi. “I like it. It’s pretty.”

“Mm. I find it calming. It’s what I was thinking when I got those flower lights for you. I know they’re not quite as cool as this but,” Yoongi trails off.

“No, I like them! The journal, too.” Jungkook smiles. “Thank you again.”

Jungkook shifts closer to Yoongi on the bed, so their knees almost brush against each other.

“So, what are we doing now?”

“Stargazing?” Yoongi replies.

Jungkook hums. He falls backward, readjusting his legs so he’s lying down comfortably.

“Come, lie down with me. Can see the stars better.”

Yoongi laughs but nevertheless crawls beside Jungkook and joins him.

“The stars sure are bright tonight.”

Jungkook hums. “Who’d’ve thought it. In the city, middle of winter.”

Yoongi lets out a breath of air that is meant to be a laugh. The spinning of the stars throws off Yoongi’s sense of direction a little, makes him feel not quite dizzy, but disorientated. It feels like if he stares too long he’ll be transported to another world, like he’ll get lost in the movement of the stars and when he looks away he’ll find himself not in his bedroom but on some other planet where the stars spin around you and change colour and everything is calm and still. Yoongi doesn’t know how long they stay like that, just lying side by side, staring up at the ‘stars’, the only sounds the soft whirring of the night light as it spins, and the sound of their breathing.

“Was your first Christmas without friends or family okay?” Yoongi speaks softly, almost whispering, as though any loud sounds will break the calm atmosphere that has settled around them.

“I wasn’t alone though, I was with you guys.”

Yoongi smiles, his eyes following the orbit of the crescent moon above him. “Well, was it okay anyway?”

“Yes,” Jungkook says, turning his head to look at Yoongi, “Better than okay.”

“Yeah?”

“Yeah,” Jungkook confirms. “Thanks for inviting me.”

Yoongi turns to finally look at Jungkook too, watching the lights and shadows from the night light dance across his face.

“Any time. My Christmas was better than okay too, since you were here.”

Jungkook grins. “Of course it was.”

Yoongi makes to look back up at the ceiling, but Jungkook stops him with a gentle hand to his jaw, tilting his head back towards him. He keeps his hand there, and Yoongi’s hand subconsciously finds its way on Jungkook’s wrist, holding it there, though his grip is only weak. Their faces are only inches apart—Yoongi could easily kiss him if he wanted. Instead, he just returns Jungkook’s gaze, lets himself get lost in a different kind of stars now, his thumb absently brushing back and forth across the skin of Jungkook’s wrist. Jungkook leans forward, eyes fluttering closed. Yoongi’s do the same, his breath hitching in anticipation. However, he doesn’t feel Jungkook’s lips on his—only the press of his forehead against his and a brush of noses. Yoongi tilts his head up a little, nuzzling against Jungkook’s face, nudging his skin with his nose. His hand travels up Jungkook’s arm from his wrist, lightly tracing his muscles over his sky blue shirt before coming to rest at his cheek.

“Kiss me,” Yoongi whispers, eyes still closed.

And Jungkook does. It’s slow and gentle, Jungkook’s lips just pressing gently against Yoongi’s own. His lips are slightly chapped, but Yoongi doesn’t mind. They quickly become soft anyway as they continue to kiss. Jungkook’s hand winds its way into Yoongi’s hair as he shifts his position to fully face Yoongi, not once separating their lips. Jungkook’s skin is smooth under Yoongi’s palm, save for the small scar on his cheek under Yoongi’s thumb. The hand in Yoongi’s hair tugs slightly as Jungkook’s fingers get caught in a tangle, and Yoongi smiles, breaking the kiss for just a moment before stealing another. He bends his leg, his knee sliding in between Jungkook’s so his leg is slotted between them, bringing about even more contact—their lips moving softly against each other; Jungkook’s hand sliding down from his hair to the back of his neck; Jungkook’s cheek in the gentle caress of Yoongi’s hand; their legs intertwined with each other.

It could have been hours—but is more likely minutes—that pass before they pull away.

“Thank you,” Yoongi says without really thinking.

Jungkook giggles, and Yoongi can feel his breath from it tickling his face. “Why are you thanking me?”

“Shut up, I don’t know.” Yoongi pecks Jungkook on the lips again, unable to get enough of his lips now that he’s had a taste. Jungkook seems to share that sentiment, because he’s chasing Yoongi’s lips again and kissing him deeply.

Seokjin finds them still entangled together under two layers of stars—Yoongi’s duvet and the still whirring night light—when he enters Yoongi’s room the next morning to call them for breakfast. Yoongi stirs, despite Seokjin quietening upon finding them. He curls up tighter into a ball, groaning.

“What time is it?” he mumbles sleepily, sensing that Seokjin is still standing in the doorway, though Yoongi’s facing the other way and his eyes are still firmly closed.

“Just after eight.” Seokjin replies softly. “It’s okay, you can sleep more if you want to, sunshine.”

Yoongi hums. “Are we open today?”

“Yeah, but we’re opening later. Besides, the others should be able to manage on their own, if you want another day off?”

“I’ll see. Might go in later.” Yoongi’s words come out muffled, getting lost in Jungkook’s chest in front of him.

“Alright then. Don’t feel pressured; we have enough staff. You can chill with Jungkook if you want.”

Yoongi whines. “Okay, I get it.” His fists bunch up the fabric of Jungkook’s shirt as he draws his legs up impossibly closer to his chest. He hears Seokjin “aww” but doesn’t bother to acknowledge it. Jungkook, however, finally stirs from all the noise, drawing the arm that was thrown over Yoongi closer, even though there’s already hardly any space between them. Yoongi feels a light pressure on the top of his head for a fleeting moment.

“Morning,” Yoongi feels more than hears Jungkook say.

“Morning, Koo,” he mumbles in return.

“Oh,” Jungkook whispers, “Oh my God.”

Yoongi reluctantly lifts his head up, craning his neck back to look at Jungkook, his eyes barely open so all he can make out is a blur of Jungkook’s face. “What?”

“Nothing, just,” Jungkook cards a hand through Yoongi’s undoubtedly messy hair, “You.”

“Me?” Yoongi repeats blankly, blinking once.

Jungkook closes his eyes again and ducks his head so his forehead rests on Yoongi’s hair.

“You. You’re adorable.”

“What brought this on?” Yoongi chuckles, “You just woke up.”

Jungkook hums. “Yeah, and you’re the first thing I saw. You, all curled up like a sleepy kitten.”

Yoongi shifts forward and headbutts Jungkook in the chest, earning him a soft laugh.

“I’m gonna get up,” Jungkook says.

“Okay.”

“Um, that means you can let me go now,” Jungkook chuckles.

“Oh,” Yoongi says, releasing his grip on Jungkook’s shirt finally. “Sorry.”

“It’s okay, kitten.”

Yoongi blushes despite himself at the pet name. It’s not like it’s the first time he’s been referred to as a feline in recent weeks, but for some reason this makes his heart flutter.

By the time Yoongi and Jungkook both wash and get dressed, Seokjin is nowhere to be found—presumably already headed to the bakery. When Yoongi heads downstairs, he finds Jungkook crouched by the sugar gliders’ cage.

“Wanna hold them?”

“Can I?”

“Sure, here.” Yoongi opens the cage door and lets the closest one—Eomuk—crawl onto his hand. He carefully hands him over to Jungkook.

“You know, before you brought in the idea of cat, Seokjinnie used to say I was like a sugar glider.”

Jungkook smiles widely, nose scrunching. “Oh my God, that’s so cute!”

“Oh here we go,” Yoongi pinches the bridge of his nose. “Shouldn’t have said anything.”

Jungkook laughs but his full attention is on the small furry creature perched on his arm.

“I’m gonna go check what we have to eat.”

Jungkook looks momentarily panicked, and Yoongi laughs.

“Don’t worry, they’re really very well behaved. You’ll be fine. I’ll be right back anyway.”

Jungkook shakes his head. “I might as well just come with you. Um,” Jungkook holds his arm with Eomuk on it out towards Yoongi. “Can you…”

“You can do it, he’s friendly. Just pick him up.”

Jungkook hesitates. “But he’s so small. What if I hurt him?”

Yoongi shifts a little closer to him. “You won’t, don’t worry. They’re very squishable.”

Jungkook still looks unsure, and Eomuk just happily crawls further up Jungkook’s arm.

“Or you could just let him walk onto your hand and then put him back like that. Or wait for him to be low enough on your arm that you can let him back in the cage.”

Jungkook lets out an uncertain laugh. “Okay, okay.”

He finally manages to get the little critter back in his cage, and they both watch the pair hop around on the bars for a little while before heading to the kitchen when Jungkook’s stomach growls particularly loudly.

There’s a plate on the table that’s been covered by another plate, a neon pink post-it note attached to it that reads ‘For the two lovebirds. Enjoy :) ♡’ Yoongi scoffs at it but as usual, his smile betrays him. He removes the plate on top to reveal a stack of crêpes, still slightly warm.

“Seokjin is a godsend,” Yoongi grins.

He fetches plates for them both, and finds various toppings for the pancakes—from Nutella to honey to fruit.

“Are you going in to the bakery today?” Jungkook asks through a mouthful of a Nutella and banana crêpe roll.

Yoongi shrugs. “Depends. How long are you planning on staying?”

“Well, my shift starts at six today, so before then some time. I don’t need to set up the stall today, if you want me around.”

Yoongi places a fresh crêpe on his plate and drizzles honey onto it.

“I don’t want to keep you from your work, though. You need to earn a living.”

“Relax, it’s one day, and hardly anyone comes anyway. You were pretty much my only source of income from the henna stall.”

Yoongi snorts and gently kicks Jungkook’s shin under the table. “Okay then, you’re free to stay as long as you want.”

“Oh, I almost forgot,” Jungkook says after they’ve eaten breakfast. “I wanted to give this to you.”

Jungkook pulls out a painting from his backpack that was lying by the sofa, and hands it to Yoongi. It’s the same one that Yoongi had seen at Jungkook’s—the one of Yoongi.

“You want me to have it?” Yoongi asks, hesitantly taking it.

Jungkook nods. “I have plenty of my paintings, and I mean, you’re the reason for this one anyway. I mean, it’s you, so.”

Yoongi gently brushes his fingertips over the painting.

“Besides, I took pictures of it already.”

Yoongi giggles. “Of course you did.”

“I do of all my art.”

They spend a few hours just idly chatting and lazing around Yoongi’s house, before deciding to brave the cold and go for a walk. Yoongi locks the door behind them, but as he turns around, Jungkook backs him against the door.

“Mistletoe,” he states simply, before diving in to capture Yoongi’s lips. He pulls away all too quickly, so Yoongi tugs him in by the lapels of his coat and kisses him again. He rises up onto his toes, even though he doesn’t need to, making himself Jungkook’s height. Jungkook cups his face as he kisses him. He tastes like chocolate and vanilla from the leftover cupcakes they’d just eaten, and a little like peaches from his chapstick.

“Thank you,” Jungkook breathes against his lips once they separate.

“Don’t make fun of me,” Yoongi pouts. Jungkook kisses it away.

“Wasn’t making fun of you.”

Yoongi huffs, but lets Jungkook intertwine their fingers as they make their way down the street. The cold wind, though expected, causes Yoongi to recoil and bury his face as deep as he can in his scarf. Jungkook lets his hand go in favour of wrapping his arm around Yoongi, presumably in an attempt to warm him up. Yoongi smiles into his scarf.

They don’t say much, listening instead to the crunching of snow beneath their feet. Yoongi’s always found the sound satisfying. They walk by a wall, and Yoongi lets his hand run along the top of it, skimming the surface and scooping up a decent amount of snow as they walk. He pulls out of Jungkook’s embrace to shape it, falling a step behind Jungkook who miraculously does not suspect a thing, seemingly spaced out, then throwing it at him with full force. It hits the back of his shoulder, creating a white blossom on the navy background of his coat.

Jungkook turns around, offended look quickly transforming to a mischievous grin, as he scoops up the snow and gets his revenge. Yoongi lets out a little shriek, protecting his face with his arms just in time, the snowball smashing to pieces against his forearms. They both scramble to make another snowball before the other does so they can get the upper hand. Yoongi throws one, but Jungkook ducks and it sails straight over him. Yoongi pouts and sets about gathering more snow. He looks up upon hearing Jungkook full blown cackling, a snowball the size of his head resting in his palms—and still growing. Yoongi chucks whatever snow he was holding at him, and hides behind the nearest parked car, crouching by the rear wheel.

“Are you trying to murder me with that thing?”

Jungkook just snickers, and Yoongi can hear his footsteps edging around the car. He sidesteps, still in a crouch, and honest to god screeches as Jungkook somehow materialises right next to him on the other side to where he expected Jungkook to be. Jungkook laughs so hard he ends up dropping the monstrosity he’d created, doubling over as his whole body is racked with laughter. Yoongi half-heartedly hurls a snowball made from the dead remains of Jungkook’s at his arm, if only to get him to stop laughing at him. He ends up flinging more snow at him when Jungkook only laughs harder instead of stopping, not even bothering to compress it into a snowball first—just chucking handfuls of powdery snow on him so Jungkook resembles some sort of Christmas pudding, sprinkled with icing sugar and with a cherry red beanie on top.

“Okay, okay, I’m done,” Jungkook wheezes out, though he’s clearly still struggling to stifle his mirth.

Yoongi stands up, brushing the snow off his clothes, still pouting at Jungkook, who straightens up and takes a few quick strides towards Yoongi. He pushes Yoongi’s scarf down to expose his face, and pecks him on the lips.

“There, does that make up for it?”

Yoongi hums. “It’ll do.”

They continue their little adventure until they’re both too numb to keep going. The bakery is still open, so they head there. The familiar tinkle of the wind chime sounds as they enter, the warmth welcome on their flushed, numb faces.

“Yoongi?” Haeun says, “You came. Are you working or…?” She glances at Jungkook.

“You can work if you want,” Jungkook shrugs. “I’m fine just waiting and watching you, as long as I have food.”

Yoongi shakes his head. “I’ll work in a bit,” he directs at Haeun, who nods. “Can Jungkook and I get…” he turns to Jungkook. “What do you want?”

Jungkook hums in thought. “Gyeranppang? I’ve had too many ridiculously sweet things today already.”

Yoongi smiles. “Well I’m craving doughnuts for some reason, so I’ll have… you know what, what is health anyway, I’ll get chapssal and kkwabaegi doughnuts, please.

Haeun laughs and rings up their total price.

“Seriously? You’re charging me?”

“Business is business.”

“We taught you well,” Yoongi says, bringing his wallet out, “Too well.”

Jungkook catches his hand before he can press his card to the machine. “I’ll get it, it’s fine.”

“I already cost you a day of work, it’s fin-”

“That was my choice-”

“Yeah but-”

“You’ve bought me stuff loads of times, it’s my turn-”

“Will one of you just pay?” Haeun cuts in, shaking her head, failing miserably at trying to stifle her laugh.

“Alright, alright,” Yoongi admits defeat, “Thanks, Kook-ah.”

Yoongi takes their food from Haeun and they take it to a table. The warm bread is comforting and much needed after their long walk in the freezing cold. After they finish eating, and then some, Yoongi gets up to work for the last couple of hours before the bakery closes. Jungkook stays where he is at first, but not ten minutes later he’s getting up to hover around the counter and watch what the staff are doing more closely. Yoongi chuckles when he catches sight of Jungkook leaning over the counter, trying to peek into the kitchen where he, Seokjin, and Xinyi are. Misun and Haeun are at the counter. Yejoon had been working, but finished early today.

Yoongi sets about winter-ifying a batch of cookies, switching between designs of snowflakes, snowmen, holly leaves and berries, and Christmas trees—even though Christmas is now over.

“Can I help?” he hears Jungkook ask.

He looks to Seokjin, who shrugs, so he says, “Sure, just grab an apron and wash your hands first.” Yoongi points out where to get one, and Jungkook happily does as he’s told before coming to stand by Yoongi’s side. Yoongi finishes the cookie he’s decorating before giving Jungkook his attention.

“You’d probably be good at this, considering you’re an artist.” Yoongi points at the few designs on the already finished cookies. “Pick one of those designs, icing and decorations are here,” he gestures at said items. “And, yeah. Have a go, if you want.”

Jungkook watches Yoongi decorate another one, before taking his own and following Yoongi’s lead. His brows are furrowed in concentration as he leans over the surface, one hand supporting the other to keep it steady as he ices the cookie, much like how he applies henna. Yoongi smiles at the sight—it’s attractive how focused he is, how seriously he takes it. And, well, his sleeves are rolled up so Yoongi can see the veins travelling up his forearms and, those aren’t exactly unattractive.

Jungkook takes almost twice as long as Yoongi to finish decorating one cookie given his lack of experience, but the end result is amazing, just like all his art and henna. Yoongi compliments his work and Jungkook beams so bright Yoongi’s surprised the room doesn’t light up a little brighter with it.

Time passes quicker with Jungkook by his side, and soon enough Jungkook’s leaving to get ready for work at the bar. Yoongi sees him to the door.

“Thank you, for today and yesterday,” Jungkook smiles.

“Honestly, it was my pleasure. Thanks for sticking around with me this long.”

“I’ll see you around then, I guess,” Jungkook says, “You still gonna come by the henna stall in your lunch breaks?”

Yoongi grins. “Yeah, why not? Just don’t expect me to get anymore for a while because,” Yoongi lifts up his sleeve and showcases the orange patternings adorning his skin.

Jungkook laughs. “There are plenty of other places where you can get one. I can think of a few places on your cute body where it'd look good.”

“Of course you can,” Yoongi rolls his eyes, smiling, and maybe blushing a little, “Now go, you don’t wanna be late.”

“I won’t be late, there’s still a fair amount of time.”

“Well then, you don’t want to push it until you are late.”

“Alright, I am going, just.” Jungkook places a hand on Yoongi’s cheek and leans down for a kiss. “Okay, now I’ll go.”

Apparently, Yoongi is incapable of letting Jungkook go after just one kiss, because he finds himself wrapping his arms behind Jungkook’s neck and pulling him back down for another.

“Thank you,” he whispers, just for the sake of it.

Jungkook giggles and kisses the corner of Yoongi’s lips once, then kisses the henna tattoo below his ear—visible now that his scarf is off. Yoongi swears he stops breathing the moment Jungkook’s lips touch him there, his heart skipping several beats.

Yoongi vaguely registers Haeun saying, “So he and Seokjin really aren’t married then,” probably more to herself than anyone else. Yoongi ignores her in favour of kissing Jungkook again.

“What was that about me being late?” Jungkook grins.

“Shut up and go already then.” Yoongi pushes Jungkook towards the door.

Jungkook finally opens it, a rush of cold air coming in as he leaves, turning around to wave at Yoongi through the glass before walking away.

“You guys are gross-cute,” Haeun says with a face of mock disgust.

“As if you and your boyfriend aren’t.”

“Guys, there are still customers here,” Seokjin scolds, emerging from the kitchen, “Please, save this for later.”

Yoongi snorts. “Says you.”

Seokjin glares at him but it’s hardly threatening. “I agree with her though, you are gross-cute.”

“Hey, what happened to ‘save it for later’?” Yoongi pouts.

Seokjin grins. “I’m the boss, I can do what I want!”

“I’m just as much in charge as you are!”

Seokjin steps forward to put a finger to Yoongi’s lips. “Customers,” he reminds.

Yoongi rolls his eyes and pushes Seokjin’s hand away, getting started on clearing away some of the mess in the kitchen. He subconsciously touches his neck where the hearts reside, where Jungkook’s lips briefly brushed upon. He doesn’t even realise he’s smiling too until Seokjin shakes his head at him and says “gross-cute,” again.

“No,” Yoongi corrects, “Just cute. Pure cute.”

“Like me,” Seokjin says like it’s an instinct.

“Whatever you say.”

“You’re all just gross,” Xinyi speaks up, and they all burst out laughing.

“I think they’re adorable,” a small voice says, and Yoongi’s surprised to see Misun standing in the doorway to the kitchen, fidgeting with her sleeves.

“The queen has spoken,” Yoongi laughs, "That settles it."

Misun smiles quickly and rushes back to the counter.

Maybe it’s just that time of year, where everyone is generally happier, Christmas having just gone; or maybe it’s because it’s the first time in a fair while that Yoongi’s felt like this, but either way, Yoongi has a smile on his face that refuses to leave the entire remaining time he has of work, even through cleaning up. Perhaps it finally did manage to succeed in its endeavour of making itself a permanent feature of Yoongi’s face.