Chapter 2 part 1

Lonesome Fathers
Please log in to read the full chapter

He had always known what to do. Life had never been a mysterious endeavour to him.

From a very young age Kyungsoo already knew what he wanted to be when he grew up - and when asked he would say that he wanted to help people.

As he grew into a teenager more plans were added next to that very childish dream. Kyungsoo now added starting a family of his own - getting married to a pretty girl, having a child or two, watching them grow and settling down as an old couple, then eventually dying peacefully in his sleep.

Quite a grim prospect for most, but Kyungsoo had always been a realist at heart. He didn’t expect to live forever thus he saw no problem in thinking about his death.

 

Meeting Hyojin made him change his views a little bit.

 

He had never been in love before. He had seen plenty of movies and read many books that described how it felt but upon meeting the beautiful and strong girl, Kyungsoo knew that they all lacked the right words to really describe such a powerful feeling.

 

It was love at first sight.

 

Moon Hyojin was funny, talkative, tiny but also fierce, the type of woman that refused to let people walk over her or ignore her.

 

And how could Kyungsoo not fall in love with such a force of nature?

 

People said they were meant to be - soulmates based on the way they seemed to complete each other. Hyojin brought Kyungsoo out of his shell, coaxed more smiles out of him, made him talk a little bit more about trivial things.

Kyungsoo, however, calmed her down. Made her think her actions through, got her to take a break from not only work but from being such a social butterfly. He managed to make Hyojin think about herself more.

 

Their relationship went strong during high school and their first years of college. But then, things started to go down hill.

 

Kyungsoo, still set on his childhood plans, got into medical school, and there he knew that he really wanted it. Really wanted to help people, to save lives. Hyojin decided to try Law school, but never really settled for it. She spent months and months trying to find something she actively wanted to study.

During those months her father got tired of supporting her, and decided enough was enough. He cut her off.

Kyungsoo was shocked, but he assured her they’d be fine. He’d look after her, and that’s when he started working part time as a way to support not only himself but his girlfriend.

He knew Hyojin was not okay, could see it in her eyes as she stared blankly ahead during dinner. Or how she ignored him for days before going back to being herself again.

 

Obviously she was going through a hard time, and Kyungsoo loved her so he was determined to get her through it.

 

Two years went by and Hyojin was still the same, she’d get better and then crash back down once again. A roller-coaster of emotions and fights would usually breakout in their tiny apartment when Kyungsoo asked her what could he do to help.

He was exhausted - not only of trying to help and being met with sharp, hurtful words but of being the sole provider, of studying so hard to be able to give her a better life in the future and getting nothing in return.

He still loved her, he would tell himself every night. He still loved her, he would think when his heart started flutterin

Please log in to read the full chapter