Chapter 1

Lonesome Fathers
Please log in to read the full chapter

They had never been in love, not in the way it was expected of them.

What? With Soojung being a raging lesbian and Jongin being gay, they could never really love each other as more than friends. Which was what they were when their parents forced them to marry.

They had been best friends at the time, bonding over high school and then terrible lectures at college, and their mutual fear of coming out to their parents. It didn’t shock them to know that people - including their parents - thought they were a couple. In fact they quite play around with it too. Soojung used to say she was thankful for the little rumour as it kept men from trying to approach her. And Jongin related to that.

None of them imagined back then that their little game would turn on them like it did. Jongin had never pictured himself walking down the isle shaking, not in anticipation to meet his lover, but with anxiety of what was to come. Didn’t expect to cry at his wedding, not with sheer happiness and elation for finally getting married to the man he loved, but with sadness to know that both him and his best friend were having such an important moment in their lives ruined.

Soojung had known what was expected of her as a wife. Remembered having her mother drill into her head from a very young age, that a woman should please her husband, should cater to his every need, should bear his children and never embarrass his name - to her it had never made sense, but now that she was actually getting married to a man, it was all she could think about. She dreaded to think about it during the months that preceded the wedding, but as soon as the ceremony was over her mind rushed with those thoughts. She knew not only that her parents would expect her to bear a child soon, but also that Jongin’s father would hate him even more if he didn’t prove himself to him.

Many times had she curled up next to him as the boy’s father screamed about how no son of his would be gay, that Jongin would only make him proud when he impregnated his future wife.

And while she had never wanted children of her own, she knew Jongin loved kids and dreamed of being able to adopt a child or two with a man he’d fall in love with. However, given that they were married and had no choice, both would have to settle for what they had.

Neither one of them had ever been with the opposite gender, gold-star gays as people would say, and that made their first night at their honeymoon very awkward. Soojung had suggested they just get it out of the way as soon as possible, secretly hoping not to have to repeat what they were about to do too many times before she got pregnant. Jongin agreed, nervously nodding and worrying about how he could make this as enjoyable as possible for her.

It was awkward. Very awkward. The act itself took them a few minutes to get going, finding it hard to get aroused by each other. They were friends, not to mention both were homoual. They had never thought about one another like that.

 

That night was filled with hesitant touches, whispered apologies, embarrassment and no satisfaction.

 

In the years they spent married, Jongin noticed a slight strain in their friendship. He figured it would happen, both of them having to keep the image of being in love with each other around everyone. The first year was the hardest and the easiest one, both freshly out of college they barely had time to see each other. Too busy trying to establish their professional careers. And yet the stress of learning how to pretend to be in love and happy was much more suffocating.

Soojung and Jongin were only happy when they were at home. Within the walls of their apartment they could go back to being best friends. Could forget about the golden bands around their fingers to just be Krystal and Kai - prankst

Please log in to read the full chapter