13 Technically But Not Quite There Yet

IZ*One : Everyday As We Dream

I'm Playing For you by Rie Fu when I wrote this.


13

Technically but not quite there yet

 

What does it takes to become an adult? When does one know they have become an adult? This is the questions that are currently haunting Yena’s mind. Is it when one legally turns 18, when one is legally allowed to drink alcohol, or is it when one had their first time? It’s burdensome she thought. It’s a thing that’s been bugging her for days now and it comes back once again as she looks and leaned over her reflection on the mirror. She put her hand against it as if trying to touch the person on the other side.  

 

Yena have been worrying a lot about various things but mostly about her heart or what really is within it. She has a dream and she is closer to it that even she can fathom on the other hand she wants to be with someone special. The more the days passes by the more her heart shouts for that person’s name, the more she wanted to be with her to comfort and take care of her the more it became louder, especially now that the said person’s dreams has been shattered and is struggling to pick up pieces of herself.

 

She is quite unfortunate though because just like how her first heartbreak went, her dreams do not follow where her love lies.  It’s not a case of one with the other it is one or the other. This is the worry that continues to linger in the back of her mind as she lies down on her bed and look up in the ceiling trying to clear her mind.

 

Today started just how her day usually goes, she did not go to university to train today as the coaches are not around she instead elected to do self training. She finished her morning routine, did a several rounds of run, and some other exercises. She is in no mood to continue in the afternoon and just wanted to have her mind at peace. She wants to do something, seeks someone’s help, someone who will listen to her even if it sound crazy. 

 

Maybe that is what she needs, she has a person in mind; she immediately changes to a yellow oversized shirt and shorts. She tied her hair into a ponytail and look around her slightly messy room for her favorite baseball cap. She found it between her inline skate boots and her ice skating boots. Her room is not really that messy, just some stockpile of clothes and her bed begging to be fix which she did. She happens to glance up to the poster that is plastered up on her wall; it was a poster of Anaheim Ducks and that made her smile. It’s a reminder of her dream.

 

She is glad her young roommate, a fellow athlete, is not around as she is training today at her school.  It will be hard to explain to her where she is going as the kid would probably want to tag-along.  She picks her stylish sling bag – put the cap on and pulled out her phone to message the person she has in mind. She jumped up several times to hype herself. Her shirt is looking very yellow, and the white cap, yellow shirt combo is making her looking like one hell of an egg. That thought was enough to put her smile back up. “Leggo!!!” She shouted.

 

Yellow is her color – it represents her, how she want to be and how people view her, a happy bean of energy. Yellow radiates – yellow is happiness and Choi Yena is happiness to a lot of people, the class clown, the life of the party. It is not like it’s a false image either because it really is her – she almost died as a kid – in that experience she found value in simple things and with that she try everything in her power to make those around her happy.

 

 She learned the value of a smile during those tough times, when you been there to here it became the most precious thing, a thing that makes life worth living. Standing here means she have another day to be thankful, to spread the message that everyday is worth the fight.

 

But keeping the smile, the energy and the laughter is tough because just like everyone else there is more to Choi Yena than that. Because Choi Yena is like everyone else – she get tired too, exhausted too especially when whatever she does , does not seem to work, does not seem to make the one person she wanted to be happy – happy.

 

Every small step she made to make her smile will always almost bring tears to her eyes. The smile does not last long it fades as quickly as it went. All she wants is for her to smile longer, is for her to be there and make her happy, to give her all her heart – but it’s hard to commit when she is not even sure the other will be together with her in her dreams.

 

She climbed up to the third floor to visit the room on the far end. It is the room exactly above hers, after a few knocks and she was welcomed in by Minjoo, who is holding a book.

 

“Yuri?” Minjoo asks. She already knows who Yena is looking for so she just pointed the older to the room that is across the door.

 

“Thanks..” Yena muttered.

 

Minjoo quietly goes back to the small table that is supposedly this rooms dining table, most of them though just eat at the common area at the first floor.  She looks like she is studying for the upcoming semester with her laptop open and book and notebook in hand, after all class will start for the highschoolers in no less than three days from now. In those three days she hopes she could get Yuri to finally smile again.

 

“Yuri-ah~~” She said sweetly while she open the door.  

 

Yuri did not respond, instead she sees the girl, lying on her bed staring blankly to the wall with the phone beside her on her open palm.

 

Yena slowly approaches her and poke her cheeks, she once again said sweetly “Yuri-ah~~”

 

“Yena-unnie..” The girl looks at her on the verge of crying, she has been like this for a week now.

 

Yena carefully sits beside her and showed her several colorful flyers with smiling faces of celebrities, “Look – I printed out audition flyers…”

 

She quietly sits up and stared at her for what seems like eternity, in her eyes are tears asking to fall.  Yena cupped her face and tried to wipe the tears that are forming in her eyes, there she whispered in soft worried voice “Yuri…”

 

“Unnie, I don’t think I can do it again.” The younger girl bawled, tears leaking out like a faucet being opened.

 

“wa..why.why..” Yena panicked, she did not know what to say to calm the other down.

 

“They said… hikk.. that .. my voice – does not suit the concept – my voice.”  Yuri tried to say in between her sobs. “All I want to do is sing unnie.. why? is it bad, is it because my voice is husky. Is it, is my voice bad Unnie?” She continued. Everyone knew very well how the younger loves to sing. This is a girl who sings even if her sleep. Singing is more than just a dream, singing is her entire being.  

 

It is something Yena have heard several times this past week, since the time she learned about the younger getting drop as a trainee and just like before it is as painful to hear it now. She can’t bear to listen to it anymore, “No..no..no – your voice it’s beautiful. Believe me Yuri. It’s beautiful. The most beautiful I have ever heard. ”

 

That’s true, for Yena, Yuri’s voice is the most beautiful thing she ever heard. It was what made her realize she have fallen for the younger. It was on that night where she was shouting to the stars her concerns about the future after one her greatest setback as an athlete that she has heard it. It erased all her worries, it’s husky at the same time it soars, it’s magical but rather than saying it’s from an angel she would rather say it is from one and only Jo Yuri. She can pick that voice out in a crowd if she needs to.    

 

“I’m so close… right – I thought just a little bit... just a bit more Yuri… you will sing. You will debut. I believe in that...but I – it’s not , I did not make it - I’m not gonna debut. They will ….in a few months. ” and that’s what made it so painful, the fact that she was the last cut. 

 

Yena stared deep into her eyes “Yuri you will, I believe in you. you’ll audition again, I’ll go with you. don’t… just don’t lose hope. “

 

“But.. unnie..what if..” Yuri muttered to her with so much uncertainty. Yena does not want to hear what will come after that sentence so she closed what little distance they have until her forehead touches hers. She slides her right hand down her cheeks and put her thumb over her lips to prevent her to say anything further,  “shhh. No but. No what if. You are still young, there are people much older than you who manage to. We will find a better company.” She told her in a tone that is almost like a whisper, trying to hold strength.

 

Lumps are starting to form in , tears are begging to be let out – the façade of strong reliable Unnie is breaking down – but what’s under is maybe a more vulnerable but a truly caring one.

 

“Unnie...” Yuri whispered in between her sobs.

 

“Yes a better one – one that can appreciate your voice.. Yuri believe in me, believe in yourself.” And that’s it, the façade broke down and Yena’s vulnerabilities that she tried to hide was suddenly let go.

 

She can’t take it anymore she want Yuri to chase her dream just like how she chases hers. She hugs her like her life depends on it – like every inch of her being is relying on the existence of one Jo Yuri.

 

“Because I believe in you. I believe in you… you said that we will be chasing our dreams, if I get to mine – you will get to yours. One day you will be there up in the stage, with all the lights shining on you and you will make them listen. Listen to your voice and they will regret letting you go.” It’s a vision she longed to see again, to see the younger shine, for everyone to see her shine just like how she shined on her that night under the stars.

 

“You’ll do it, if not for you … atleast for me. Promise me Yuri.” She begged her; maybe it’s true – Yena, this happy duck does currently exist for one Jo Yuri only. She sobbed and tears keep flowing, two lost souls, one Friday afternoon, basking in the warmth of each other’s embraces.

 

It’s quite funny when the one who suppose to comfort the other ended up crying a lot more, it’s something that did not escape Yuri’s attention, “Why are you crying too?”

 

The simple question made Yena smile she broke their embrace, hold her hands and once again let their forehead and nose touch, “You are that important to me that I want to cry for you.”

 

She kissed the younger girls hand and that made both their hearts flutter, she wished she could kiss her lips too but that could wait – soon maybe. It’s a cute but admittedly cheesy gestures, both of them giggled at the cheesiness of it that the tears are finally replaced by laughter.  She brushes away the stray hairs sticking up on Yuri’s face, she looks at her lovingly. This is all the smiles she wanted, she might not notice it earlier – but her cheeks are definitely warmer than it was a few seconds ago.

 

They cuddled and let the moment takes it course – just feeling the warmth of the moment. It is at this point Yena finally built her resolve, she knows what she wanted and to hell with the future when it is the present that will shape it afterall.

 

Yuri broke the silence when she noticed that Yena’s attire means she was about to go out somewhere “Where you going unnie?”

 

 “Hyewon.” Yena quickly replied, she look at the younger girl with so much love that the person outside that open door could swear she will melt her with her gaze.

Yena let a stupid grin creep to her face “We are going to hang out.” She said teasingly.

 

Yuri pouted upon hearing and for Yena, her pouting face is cute and amusing one of the things she love about her, so she wants to more. “Is Yuri-ah jealous?”

 

 “No.I’m not.” Yuri denied, crossing her arms, looking away still pouting. Yena is so whipped she thinks this is cute.

 

 “Heheh, She is asking help on something.” Yena said, which is kinda a lie but is somewhat true. 

 

 “Really? For what?” The younger asked, looking at her with suspicion because despite how you look at Hyewon, that girl is quite independent regarding her problems.

 

 “With Chaewon, you know her birthday is on Tuesday.” The duck replied with confidence and grin that it convinces Yuri about the intention.

 

 “Oh are we going to throw a party?” Yuri excitedly asks.

 

 Yena quickly put a damper on that prospect. “I doubt that.. you know Hyung likes to monopolize Chaewon on her birthday.”

 

“Ah right.. sigh.. Hyung fed as well on her birthday.” Yuri sighed, the image of delicious – expensive food vanishes.

 

“She probably has something prepared for her.” The older girl continued, brushing her imaginary beard and acting like a wise old sage.

 

“But aint Chaewon-unnie still angry at hyung?” The younger questions, in which the older quickly replied, “Yeah – that’s why she is asking me for help.” She pouted her lips that it looks like a beak, she pulled up her arms and showed off her biceps “you know –“

 

Someone outside is trying not to laugh but Yuri allowed herself the pleasure of laughing at Yena’s action.

 

 “I think I need to go … don’t sulk anymore. “ Yena said looking at the time.

 

She climbs down the bed and spread her arms wide “Can I get a hug?” She asks.  

 

“No.” Yuri flatly declines.

 

 “No hugs.” Yena pouted in disappointment, this causes such amusement on the younger girl’s part that she could not help but giggle.

 

Yena turn around to leave, happy enough that Yuri is finally, finally laughing and being mischievous once again. As she was about to reach the door she felt a warm embrace suddenly enveloping her from behind, she became speechless, the girl is definitely back in her mischievous ways. 

 

“Thank you unnie.” Yuri whispered with her head resting on the older girl’s shoulder. Yena’s face feels like burning, she pats her head. “Yeah…yeah, I’ll be here, for you - always.” She said awkwardly.

 

Minjoo tried her hardest to pretend not to see the things that unfold. She went on a roller coaster of emotion with them – as she unintentionally watches and hears them from that open door.  

 

Yena tiptoed as she proceeds toward the apartment door and bid the girl sitting beside the table goodbye.

 

Minjoo quickly run to her before she could open the door “ah.. uhmm. Unnie- about Hyewon-unnie?” She asked awkwardly in a way that assumes that the older know what she was talking about. 

 

Yena smiled and pats her head “I already know. Don’t worry about it, you did the right thing.”

 

“I’m sure that Hyewon is thankful at what you did. You are such an angel, Minjoo.” She assures her.

 

“Yena-unnie. ” Yuri called, leaning on her room’s door, sporting that adorable pout. This put a grin on Yena’s face.

 

She teases her once again “Ahahah. my - my- aint our Yuri jealous? I know - of course this duck is such a popular Unnie.” She said with so much air of confidence that it left the other agape, Minjoo even distances herself, pretending she does not know an unnie named Choi Yena.

 

Yena is speechless when she realized her joke fell flat – she awkwardly one last time bid good bye to them, “I’ll go now. tehehehe”

 

She is on her way out of the building when she received a reply from her earlier message. The message is from Hyewon, the person she have in mind earlier.

 

They are born the same year, the later just a few months earlier. They are same age friend, with almost the same worries.  Just like her there is an outward image people see, if Yena is seen as the happy duck that never get’s sad, Hyewon is the angel that could not harm a fly even if she tried too. Funnily enough Hyewon could harm way more than a fly is she is given a motivation to do so.

 

She has heard from the other about the appearance of what they call alter Hyewon. She rode it off and pretends to be shock, in reality she is not – she knew the existence of that side – way before that day. She knew about it from times they would get drunk together, on what they call the Hyung nights. She knew what Hyewon is capable of doing given the right motivation. That does not change things though, because just how she is deep inside is a person who learned to be positive and truly wants everyone’s happiness it’s the same to Hyewon. That girl deep inside is truly innocent, an innocent girl in a world only she knew about. Hyewon just does not play with the rules of this world - she is definitely somewhere else, bless her soul is what Yena want to say to her.

 

She reads her message and quickly replied.

 

Kwangbae hyung: duck!

Kwangbae hyung: duck!

Kwangbae hyung: Duck, what do you need?

Idiot Ducky: hehehe – let’s get *beer mugs*

Kwangbae hyung: I’m driving…  

Idiot Ducky: hyung… please…

Idiot Ducky: *puppy eyes*

Kwangbae hyung: Just be honest. What do you need?

Idiot Ducky: Yuri

Kwangbae hyung: Just go up to the third floor and you have her.

Idiot Ducky: Hyung

Idiot Ducky: *pleading emoji*

Kwangbae hyung: *getting scared emoji*

Kwangbae hyung: Is this something stupid?

Idiot Ducky: *shy emoji*

Idiot Ducky: Probably. Kekekeke.

Kwangbae hyung: K, Where are you?

Idiot Ducky: Let’s meet at Nolang Bowling Center.

Kwangbae hyung: A bowling center?

Idiot Ducky: Just go.

 

With that she made her way to the said bowling center, she arrived there about five minutes before the clock turned three. She quickly books their game and ordered some beers, sandwiches and fries. Yena likes to play bowling from time to time. She being athletic and all can play decently. She chooses this place for the fact they allow them to get some alcohol, mostly just beer though. They are adults now, technically they can drink.  

 

Hopefully it will not take that much time before the other arrives. Hyewon has been out a lot lately, which makes it hard to get hold of her. Honestly, in Yena’s opinion, Hyewon matured so much ever since she and Chaewon fought and that was just a week ago. But even before that she have watched her grow up in the shadows and that was quite the opposite of her because she thinks she have not grown up at all.

 

She is taking what she orders to the lanes assigned to them, she picked the ones at the far end, when she saw a person with perfect figure in white wool sweater, blue jeans and converse shoes. What a genetic jackpot that person has. “Hyung!” She called to her excitedly.

 

“What’s with that grin? And why bowling center?” Hyewon approaches her, curious about her choice of place for their unplanned Hyung Night.

“Nothing I just want to play.” She replied with wide grin plastered on her face.  

 

Hyewon pickups one of the cans of cold beer and poke Yena’s cheeks with it.  She is just being playful; there is an evident soft smile that betrayed the otherwise innocent poker face she has on.

 

“Hyung!!” Yena reacted to the cold, Hyewon chuckled at her reaction.

 

 “Order some more fries” Hyewon ask her while she picks up a handful of fries to eat.

 

“You do it.” Yena retorted pretending to be annoyed in which Hyewon just stared at her. It’s a staring battle that Yena lost, she relents “ok..ok”. 

Hyewon took the tray and proceed to the tables in their lanes. Yena followed right after ordering the additional food.  Hyewon quickly open one of the beer and drinks, which did not surprise Yena anymore. She did the same.

 

“Why bowling?” The slightly older girl asks again.

 

“I like bowling. I got 200 plus score once.” Yena said matter-of-factly, proud of her achievement, Hyewon already know it is probably a bluff.

 

“I have not tried it.”  Hyewon replied after drinking some.

 

That’s news to Yena, “You have not? I thought it’s rich people’s game. I heard mega rich folks have one in their house.”

 

“Yeah, I think there is one there but I never bothered.” Hyewon did not deny the existence of such facility inside her parent’s mansion.

 

“I should have not mentioned that. I suddenly felt insignificant. ” Yena regretted asking, sometimes it still surprise her how rich the girl in front of her is. She never really acted like one of those entitled chaebols. Hyewon playfully put the cold beer she is holding once again beside the other girl’s cheek. Yena did not react much this time, she told her softly “I definitely think you are better than my folks.”

 

For Hyewon she will rather spend time with Yena than talking her way out of those countless marriage interviews that is being masquerade as simple hanging with X-company’s sons for business that are arrange by her family.

 

“Can I just watch you?” She added with a glorious innocent smile.

 

“No. You will play. I already paid.” Of course Yena will not allow that, if she plays, Hyewon will play too.

 

“Honestly, how?” Hyewon innocently asks.

 

“Watch.” Yena confidently said. She walks up and picks a ball and position herself looking like a proper bowler. She threw it way too hard it almost fly out of the lane and down gutter it goes. She slumped down like she did the most embarrassing thing. It did not escape Hyewon who cackled at her misery. “What’s that? Are you throwing a softball.”

 

“Hey... hey I use to pitch, you know.”  She once again picks up a ball to try hitting the spares.

 

“But you are not pitching anymore. You are trudging like a duck on ice nowadays.” Hyewon teases her while she sips another drink.

 

“I don’t need to be graceful in my sport.”  Yena replied as she approaches the lane again, and once again she threw too hard and it hit the gutter. Which crack up Hyewon again, don’t be mistaken it is not the alcohol; Hyewon is indeed capable of cracking out loud.  

 

 “Your turn.” Yena shoves a ball to a still laughing Hyewon.

 

Hyewon holds the ball and investigates it “How do you hold this?”  She figured it eventually. She slowly and stiffly approaches the lane, she look at Yena and muttered “What if it does not roll?”

 

“Just throw it. Follow your feelings.” Yena shooed her back to the lane. It’s her turn to .

 

Hyewon threw the ball with a very stiff right arm, she did not even position herself properly. It did roll quite a while before it hits the gutter which is a bit better than the flying ball Yena threw. She threw once again for the spares and hit six pins despite the ball barely rolling and travelling rather slowly. That shocks both of her and Yena.

 

“My turn.” Yena declares, this time she hits just two pins and hits zero spares. On Hyewon’s turn she hits six pins and zero spares. Then again its Yena’s turn, slowly getting her form back, she is rusty, she says. She hit eight pins “Yos!!!” She exclaimed satisfied at the result. Hyewon laugh at her reaction but on her turn she gutters the ball.  Yena cheered her “Go Hyung!!!” but she once again did not hit any.

 

It was quite fun, Hyewon once again asks “Why did you call me here?”

 

“Like I said, Yuri.” Yena immediately replied as she picks up the ball for her turn.

 

“What about her?” Hyewon again inquired.

 

 Yena threw a strike but she turn around before she sees it, she did not react much instead she leans and corners Hyewon to the chair where she sits. “I want to ask her out.” She said making sure each word is heard correctly by the other. “I mean going to tell her.” This time making sure her intentions are clearly understood.

 

Hyewon escapes and picks up the ball for her turn “Are you sure?”

 

Yena quickly replied “Yes.”

Hyewon let the silence stretch a she goes for her turn. She hits six pins at first and one pin for the spares. Once she is done she faces Yena again to remind her of something, “Think about it some more. I’m not saying not to do it, but.. remember her.. Juri?”

 

“I know.” Yena anwers shortly.

 

How will she forget that? Juri is her first girlfriend. Juri is her first heartbreak. She is the Japanese exchange student who happened to be her roommate. She falls for her hard and its mutual – they even have a pet name, it is Ducky and Tamago. She was there before Yuri and Yujin arrived – the only people who knew about it are Chaeyeon, Chaewon and most importantly the person who unexpectedly becomes her confidant Hyewon.

 

The reason they broke up is the same looming reason now. Yena’s dream will take her significantly away from the person she love. At first she thought that the long distance is working – when the other went back to Japan but it did not and just like that their love fizzled out. That time she was the younger one, now she is the older one. She is afraid yes, but she is more afraid of letting the time slip her by and loosing the chance she could have in holding the hand of the person she love. 

 

 “Do you see Yuri in your dreams? Your future?” Hyewon faces her beside the ball rack where she seemingly lost in her thoughts.

 

Yena shakes her head as a reply to her question.  “It’s almost the same right?” She muttered as she finally picks up a ball. She sighs “I can’t, my dreams will probably take me somewhere far…”

 

“and her’s will make her stay here..” Hyewon continued what Yena wanted to say. Yena nods to her as she prepares to hit the pins. She hits four and then two spares.

 

 “Will you be ok with that?” Hyewon approaches the lane and intentionally meet path with Yena, who just nods with a pained smile on her face.

 

Hyewon unexpectedly hits a strike; she celebrated with a small fist pump but quickly proceed to meet Yena beside the ball rack.

 

Yena already picks up a ball and proceed to walks to her lane. Hyewon followed her with her eyes, Yena while preparing to hit, turn the question back to her “How about you, hyung? Is Chaewon in your dreams?”

 

Yena let the ball out and hits just three pins.

 

“I can’t see my future without her.” Hyewon replied to the approaching Yena. She sits on the nearby chair.  Yena already know this much so quizzes her “You love her that much? Why have not you told her?”

 

Yena took advantage of the silence to try hitting the spares which she hits none. She turns around to find Hyewon have not approach the ball rack for her turn and instead the older was looking her feet. She crouches to meet her eyes and as soon as their eyes met Hyewon muttered “I don’t know if this … is the same love you are talking about. She have been with me for so long.. I just can’t bear her not being with me ever again.”

 

Yena sighs “I think.. it’s the same. Why are you so dense?”

 

“What do you mean?” A confuse Hyewon asks.

 

Yena stand up and with her arm tries to illustrate what she meant “She is your entire world, is not she?”

 

“I don’t know.” Hyewon replied as she approaches the ball rack for her turn. Yena watches Hyewon as she hits eight pins and zero spares.

 

She waited for her beside the ball rack with a mocking grin plastered on her face “Yeah, maybe – your cake of a brain does not know, but your heart for sure knows.” For Yena it looks like quite a good idea to prod the older girl’s heart “What if she falls in love with someone else? She seems to like Hiichan.”

 

She did not expect Hyewon’s reaction. Her eyes turn red as she started to tear up, when she notices that she tried her best to prevent them from falling.

 

Yena’s smirks “See.” She was correct afterall.

 

Hyewon looks down on her feet as Yena was choosing the ball she will use “I … even if I can just watch from afar… I still want to be with her.” She mutters trying to prevent herself from bawling out.

 

“Argghh, you are so dense.”  Yena frustratingly trudge to the lane, channeling all of it to hit another strike.

 

With a huge grin she turns around again and walks toward a Hyewon who is blankly staring into space. She stands in front of her. Hyewon acknowledges her presence and looks at her curiously. She smiles at her, “Ok just help me. I have a plan. ” she proposes.  

 

That stupid grin tips Hyewon of “Is this a grand romantic gesture kind of plan or what? I am not big on those.”   

 

Yena mocks her response “Not big on those, eh. For someone who surprised her bestfriend with a Jeju trip on her birthday last year– with matching flower bouquet being delivered right in front of her room that morning. What the cat are you saying?”

 

Such a great take down of a clueless Hyewon. “Speaking of that, you have a plan for her? It’s in four days from now.” Yena continued.

 

“Yeah.” Hyewon nods. She slowly walks to the ball rack, Yena followed her to further “Let me guess something grand too with an overnight in a hotel.”  

 

“What the duck are you saying!?” Hyewon replied confuse and shock. Yena internally facepalms, she forgot sometimes innuendos does goes pass the other girl’s head.

 

She diverted the subject as she watches Hyewon proceed to take her turn “How will you get her to go with you? I’m pretty sure you planned for some sort of a date with her.”

 

For her turn Hyewon manages to hit four pins.

 

“I’ll manage.” She answers as she picks up the ball for the spares in which she hits two.

 

Yena blocks her way and crosses her arm to again reiterate her proposal “Look hyung, I’ll help you with Chaewon. You help me with Yuri.”

 

“How will you get her to agree.. Wonnie is stubborn you know.”  Hyewon is not convinced that such plan from her duck friend will work out.

 

“I have someone I can recruit to help us.” She declares with a confident grin. She has one specific person in mind, someone who is playing this love polygon game with a different stake that everyone else.

 

Hyewon is still suspicious, Yena hold her shoulders and look at her eyes. “Trust me.”

 

Hyewon still has her reservation but maybe, she can trust her – whatever that stupid plan the other is preparing - for once.

 

Yena then proceeds to bowl for her turn where she once again gutter the ball and hit only three spares. They have finished their game with Hyewon, 73 points, winning against Yena who scored 66 points despite having two strikes. They played another round with Hyewon again winning because of consistency.

 

Both ended up quite tipsy after consuming alcohol and annihilating the sandwiches and fries. Hyewon being such a responsible driver, called for a replacement. She and Yena decided to go around for a bit and shared some day to day stuff. The topic of why Hyewon took literature instead of business degree came up in which she just replied that she really wanted to be an author and that no matter what she probably does she will end up in business. She then told Yena that she started a small project with a young webtoon team, she showed her their group chat named Team BBY2 after a quite popular idol group song. She said she enjoys these things and that she likes anime and shopping as both helps her stomach. Yena figures it meant something more than her literal stomach.

 

They are unaware of what time it is already, the alcohol they consumed earlier is all but gone. They are on their way to the apartment but instead ask to get drop to a park in the neighborhood that has Pojangmacha, those tents that offers snacks and late night drinks.

 

 They got themselves tteokbokki and several bottles of soju in which they unabashedly consumed. This is how Hyung nights mostly went. This are the times they also let their stress out – Yena once again declared how much she loves Yuri and her worries that she will eventually hurt the younger girl. It’s something Hyewon is probably tired of hearing but she let her on. For her part, Hyewon shares how much she hates the arrange meetings with fellow chaebols that she begrudgingly attends. How for now she only wants Chaewon to atleast let her explain and with the help of alcohol and slightly drunk Yena, Hyewon manage to narrate her side of that night.   

 

After several rounds and countless bottles of soju, Hyewon with whatever braincells left of her decided they need to leave. It’s not like she has a choice – Yena is causing a scene as she flails her arms and tries to sing I.O.I’s Very Very. She stands up to pay but it’s evident how drunk she is, the only difference with her and Yena is that she still have some braincells left and is still functioning. She swayed as she walks to the kind Ahjumma to pay, she paid more than her due and just wave her thank you and that she can keep the change, in exchange of the trouble Yena is causing.

 

The park is not that far from the apartment and she know its approaching midnight already. She assisted Yena by putting her arms around her and tries her best to get both of them home.

 

“I did not know you, don’t know you, I didn’t not know how you feel.” Yena started to drunkenly sing Heize’s song. Hyewon joined her – they are too far gone. They are lucky that the several times they held Hyung nights none of the other have caught them in their drunken state.

 

“How could I’ve not been in pain from this? I realized I need to send this to you.” I mean look at Hyewon starting to add lyrics that was not even in the song. “I really didn’t know and I was just picking out your gifts. But that was not what you wanted.” Yena belted out after her. They are two drunken kids trudging the streets.

 

They are at near the apartment building when Yena notices something, they maybe are drunk but they still have enough awareness.

 

“Is not that Eunbi-unnie.” She pointed out at the figure not far from them, seemingly being harassed by a man they did not recognize.

 

“Let go of me! We are done!” Eunbi shouted unaware that two of her tenants are watching the scene.

 

She turned around to walk quickly to the apartment but the guy chases after her and holds her arm tight. The action made her turn around. The man then tried to force a kiss but Eunbi pushes him away.

 

“What’s wrong with you!?” The guy angrily shouted.

 

“Go away! I don’t love you anymore! ” Eunbi shouted back. The man is relentless and tries to grab Eunbi by her hair in which point they heard a shout, a drunken one.  

“Don’t you touch Eunbi-unnie!!!” Yena trucks her head to the man’s chest effectively tackling him to the ground. Drunken people are brave, but drunk or not Yena will still do the same. “Get your dirty hands of my unnie!!!” She added in between gritted teeth barely being coherent.

 

The guy pushes her back, Eunbi caught her, but Yena is too drunk to back down so she tried to regain what little balance she has and close the distance between her and the man and stared him down.

 

The guy was about to punch her when another more coherent but still visibly drunk voice was heard. “Do that and I’ll call my lawyer.” Hyewon said with so much resolved that Eunbi is shock, Yena is not though. She knew she had Hyewon’s back.

 

“And who are you?” The guy arrogantly questions her.

 

“The person who can make you and your family’s life miserable.” Hyewon announces while facing him straight down and prodding his chest with her index finger.

 

“Huh, like I will believe that.”The man scoffs.

 

“Don’t test me.” Hyewon mockingly said.

 

The guy threatened her in return “Lawyer, I could sue you and your friend right now you know.”

 

As if that’s gonna work against a drunken Kang Hyewon. “Really... You know there is a CCTV there and I have enough to buy justice anyway.” She scoffs back pointing at nearby CCTV camera. She closed her distance and made sure the guys is looking at her when she threw the final hammer “Harm me and my friends and you get the entire Kang clan running after you.”  She shoved him the business card with her family symbol on it. “I wanna see you try.” She smirks.

 

The man finally relented and leaves.

 

“Hyung, so cool!!!” Yena announces as she once again cling on her and for some reason she has fallen asleep immediately.

 

Eunbi is speechless as Hyewon slowly returned to angel Hyewon state. Hyewon made a short call to someone and apologizes for waking him up and asking him help for cleaning up some mess, which pertains to what happened just now. She did not reveal who she is but she wanted to make sure everything is clean.  Eunbi thought that’s quite a master mindy move on her part.

 

Eunbi then help Hyewon to carry Yena inside the apartment.

 

“Unnie, you have a bad taste.” Hyewon told the older regarding the guy that harassed her.

 

“Yeah, I know.” Eunbi chuckled, acknowledging such flaw exists.  There is some awkward silence afterward which Hyewon breaks “When do you think we grow up, become proper adults?” Eunbi was shock again by Hyewon, this time by a rather deep question.

 

“Honestly. I don’t know either.” is the only thing she can answer.

 

“Unnie, you should rest now. I’ll carry Yena to her room.” Hyewon said with a soft smile to the older.

 

She has taken a few steps up the stairs when Eunbi called on her again. “Hyewon, Thank you. I’ll cook something good for you tomorrow.”  Those words make Hyewon smile, she loves food and she loves Eunbi’s cooking.   

 

 Hyewon dump of Yena to her bed, she is too tired to even fix her. She is surprised she sobered up rather quickly. She immediately proceed to her room when she was about to open it she notices a small figure running towards the stairs, she shrug it off and pin it down to her imagination.

 

It is not though, because it is who she think it is. It’s Nako who immediately run to the first floor to see if Eunbi have come home. She saw her sobbing on the couch. She quietly took a beer can from the fridge opened it and slide it to the table in front of Eunbi.

 

“Unnie.” She called to her. Nako’s grasp of Korean language is pretty good but her grasp of people is much better.

 

“Nako.” Eunbi look at her, she allowed herself to sob further.   

 

Nako sits beside her and pats her head, she smiled as she offered her the beer she took from the fridge “Unnie, it’s ok. Here drown your sorrow.”

 

“What kind of unnie I am? I even allowed you, a minor to bring me alcohol. I’m so irresponsible.” Eunbi cried.

 

Nako could not help it so she hug her and let the older girl’s head rest on her shoulders as she try to comfort her. It such a weird friendship, Nako has only been here for like a week now yet they formed an unmistakable bond. It was the second morning from when Nako arrives when it started. Nako and Hitomi wake up early but it’s Nako who wakes up earlier between the two.

 

That morning Nako decided to visit the common kitchen, there she saw Eunbi crying. The older was surprise to see her there. Nako comforted her and from then on she became her confidant, from then on they share their morning routine together.

 

 “I’m stupid, dumb, really dumb.” Eunbi muttered, internally pummeling herself, drowning in her inner turmoil. The younger tighten her embrace, she have been aware that she has a crush on the older but all for she know in her heart is, it is just a crush and she is happy to have the eldest as her friend. Learning the eldest has a boyfriend there is no way she could have a chance and crushing on someone straight is painful enough.

 

“Sian was right afterall.” The eldest blurted. It’s a new name to Nako’s ear, probably one of the people in the eldest past.

 

“Who is Sian, Unnie?” she innocently asks.

 

“My ex… girlfriend.” The eldest answered.

 

Somehow the little bird’s heart suddenly beat up fast – faster than she ever remembered it ever has.

 


Notes:

Yes this is once again long - I knew it would be once I wrote the outline. hehehe but I did not expect the Yulyen - will end up that long lol.  This is divided to 3 part. YulYen , Hyena, EuNako. Just a heads up for the hearts - EuNako will be spread out. ^-^. I need to explore Eunbi abit more.

I really want to write about Yena and Hyewon getting drunk together ever since someone ask them in fansign about their alcohol tolerance lol. I hope you enjoy hanging out with them in Hyung nights.  I also answered here why Yuri is crying that day - I took the feeling from elimination round and from MMM Moonbyul's experience.

Let's go with the chapter so.... Yena will make a move - but the more pressing matter is Chaewon's Birthday that is like in 4 days. Get a calendar and find where it is.

        *Edit : Chaewon's birthday is August 1 in reality but in my Timeline its August 21.

I purposely did not mention it, but base on clues what do you think is Yena's sport is? Also what do you think Minjoo did for Yena to praise her? And who do you think is the person Yena plan to recruit to help them with Chaewons matter. 

Next Chapter part one of another Back to Back - same day kinda thing like how 10-11 is. It's the kids (MS-HS) are back to school and summer vacay officially ends, someone is playing cupid and then there is Minjoo.  

About the song For You by Rie Fu - You will hear it again it's part of my general theme.

Credits to: ongwanable for translation of Don't Know You PD48 Perf.

 

Notes is long too - Mianhe . Thank you for reading.


Sketches: