Photograph

Wolves Among Us

Sehun has always felt more drawn to black and white photos; the absence of color making it easier to notice detail. A small fascination as a small boy turned into a hobby for a college freshmen student. That's why whenever he went out, he always had his camera ready with him. He would even admit it was one of the only exciting things in his life. Or at least, it was, until he ended up at the wrong place at the right time. 

It was already dark when Sehun steps out of the restaurant after helping lock up for the night. The gentle wind causes Sehun to tighten his scarf around his neck.
"Are you sure you don't need a ride home, Sehun?" A manager asks as she locks the front restaurant doors.
Sehun shakes his head and gives her a small, polite smile. "No, thank you," He declines as he happily fiddles with his camera. "I like walking at night and it gives me a good chance to take some photos."
"Alright," She nods. "Stay warm during the walk; I'd hate for our best waiter to catch a bad cold." After an exchange of laughs and polite bows, Sehun begins to make his journey home. He walks past several people on his way, snapping photos every so often. While people aren't his favorite thing to photograph, he'll stop and ask once and a while. Capture something that isn't nature, buildings, or things; a challenge of sorts for him. He pauses at the park and takes a deep breath, taking in the empty playground. Some people would find it creepy but not him. He saw life in the subtle things; crickets, distant sounds of the city, even the creaking of the swings. Wind is something he's always been drawn too as well. Something he hasn't ever quite been able to capture perfectly yet.

After a quick rest on a swing, he goes to continue his walk but stops in his tracks. A strange man stands near the exit of the park. Not just any man though; a stranger, yes, but there was something about him that drew Sehun to him. He slowly brings up his camera, looking at the man through his lens. The first thing Sehun notices is his eyes. Dark and intense, dangerous and mysterious. They dart around, watching for something. He bites his lip. Should he really be taking photos of people without their consent? He could barely control himself, almost flinching at the sound of camera clicking. the stranger's head quickly turns towards him and to the direction of his camera. Sehun gasps and quickly lowers his lens. He looks away in a panic before jogging back to where he needed to go. He knew it was wrong. He knew that but the way that man looked, HOW he looked, compelled him to do it.

Sehun wasn't even sure why he did it, even when he saw the developed photos in his darkroom. The stranger was handsome, captivating. Strong and fierce. No, no. There was something else there. His eyes. There's something, SOMETHING about his eyes. Tired from a long day, Sehun just decides to leave it for another day. He wasn't this interested in anyone else, so what made this guy so special? Probably nothing but his imagination. 

Or at least that's what Sehun thought until he saw that same man once again. Same park. Sehun looks at his watch. Same time. But this time, When Sehun brings his camera up, he suddenly vanishes. He lowers it and furrows his brow. Before glancing around nervously, he slowly makes his way over to the spot.
"What the...?" Sehun turns around, looking down the street; nothing. Nothing up the street either. It's as if he had disappeared into...well, thin air.


"Are you alright, Sehun?" A fellow coworker asks after finding him zoned out and looking at his camera.
"Yeah," Sehun sighs. "It's just that...there's this guy-"
His coworker gasps and quickly sits down beside him. She grabs his hands and smiles widely. "Are you finally interested in someone?"
"What?"
"I mean," She smiles sheepishly. "I thought it'd be a girl and I was totally going to try and hook you up but-"
"N-no," Sehun interrupts with a laugh.
She frowns, her shoulders lowering with disappointment. "Oh."
"I took a picture of him," Sehun reaches in his bag to show her. "I don't know why but he's really...captivating."
"Wow," She gasps and laughs. "I can see why. He's...gorgeous. Do you think he's a model?"
Sehun looks back at the photo and shrugs. "Maybe? I just saw him at the park and..." He shrugs again. "I don't know, I keep thinking of him."
"Well," She leans back and crosses her legs. "Maybe next time you see him, ask for his number."
It wasn't like that. It wasn't an attraction thing. It's the same feeling that something bad is going to happen and yet he couldn't help but follow anyway.

Which is what Sehun had decided to do that night. When he went to the park early and waited. He gently swings, using one hand to grip the chain that attaches it to the large arch; his other glued to his camera. When the man finally appears, he walks up the street, waits for an hour, and then turns towards an alleyway before disappearing into its darkness. Sehun, feeling dumb, follows. The stranger seems to be in a hurry as he navigates between the buildings so easily. He lost him that day too, of course. The next day, however, Sehun was able to follow him a bit further. He feels more determined this time; he HAS to know who this man is and what's so alluring about him.  It wasn't even in his nature to be like this.


The fourth night he follows him, Sehun doesn't have any more of a chance than the other ones. He still stands at the same part of the alley, cold and confused. Gripping his camera tightly as he tries to make sense of it. The most he feels, however, is just foolish. What is he doing here chasing some man? As much as the great mystery drew him in, he feels like it's a dead end. He stands in the middle of a deep alley, breathing and panting as he tries to keep up. He can't. He never can, each time. Black smoke always filling up space wherever that man used to be. 

Sehun lets out a small sigh. "You're an idiot," He whispers to himself. "It's time to let it go, Sehun. When you get home, you're ripping up the photo." After a confident nod, He turns to return the way he came but suddenly stops. He swallows hard when he feels a pair of eyes on him; seeming watching his every move. That's when he begins to get anxious like he isn't supposed to be there. Every instinct in telling him to RUN. He makes slow, careful steps back the way he came. But as soon as hears a footstep followed by a small crash, probably a trashcan, he begins to sprint. He gasps as he runs faster than he's ever run before, occasionally looking over his shoulder. Those eyes are still on him, even when outside of the alleyway. Even when he stumbles down the street and slams into the door of his apartment building. He twirls and presses his back against the door; sweat makes his hair and clothing damp, his heart begins to race faster as he feels that same presence getting closer and closer with each second. 

Terror strikes him when he hears the sound of something strange, fear suddenly burning itself deep in his heart. He strains his ear to listen carefully. Ice cracking, as if it were breaking apart, creeping towards him quickly like hurried footsteps. He reaches for the door handle in a panic, his eyes wide. As soon as he flings the doors open, Sehun makes a run for it; up the two flights of stairs, down the long hall. That agonizing pause as he tries to unlock his doors. He lets out a cry when he drops his keys. Ice crawls at him again, threatening to reach him as he fiddles with the lock. Sehun slams the front door behind him and locks it as if a piece of wood could protect him. He slowly backs up from it, that hissing still audible.

Sehun falls to the safety of his home, staring wide-eyed at the door as he pants and pants. When the sounds stop, Sehun grips his chest and closes his eyes tightly. His heart feels as if it'll tear from his chest. He isn't sure what he just found or what it is. But one thing was perfectly clear; he isn't going to follow it again.