Staying Silent

Don't Diss My Ability

[Stay silent] START:

 

Afraid that he might accidentally anger the older, Renjun put his lips tighter together and waited in the chair that he had sat down in, Mark Lee next to him and both waiting for the door in front to open. Renjun couldn’t stop fiddling with his fingers as he waited, the rising awkwardness suffocating him before he saw Mark move slightly, the older’s hands coming into his vision.

“So how are you?” Mark signed, causing Renjun to look up at the older and look down slightly, his throat closing up and his hands being too shaky to do anything. God…what if he doesn’t like me after this? The seconds passed by slowly, each one starting to get more painful as Renjun tried his best to get his throat to stop constricting from the anxiety that ran through his veins. It seemed like an eternity of shaky hand signs that Mark couldn’t decipher, their previous somewhat comfortable atmosphere having disappeared ages ago. It seemed, Renjun noted, that Mark was less awkward when he had moral support - the boy who seemed like he came out of a magazine had already left. Once the door opened and a girl with a pixie cut that displayed her hearing aids exited, Renjun swallowed thickly and forced himself to stand - that very action taking more energy out of him than it should have. Inside the room was the usual office with its polished desk, polished floor and uncomfortable guest chairs. Nervous, Renjun saw Mark sit down in one of the chairs in front of the desk, his smile comforting and Renjun followed his lead, attempting to smile but having it come out as more of a grimace. Behind the desk stood a middle aged woman, her features soft and the tag on her desk reading ‘Ms Jung’. A touch on his elbow lurched him back into the right mindset, Mark quickly signing and asking if he was alright to which he simply nodded to. He saw Mark sigh in relief before the older began to sign again. 

“Ms Jung is talking to you,” Mark informed him, causing Renjun to feel his cheeks heat up slightly in embarrassment and quickly turn towards the woman who had a kind smile plastered on her face. ‘Mark tells me that your name is ‘Huang Renjun’ and that you’re from China. Is that correct’ were what her lips formed and Renjun nodded, blurting out his next sentence before his throat could constrict again.

“I don’t want the implants,” He said quickly but adequately enough that the woman looked at him in surprise. “I…I’m doing just fine without them, I think.” Renjun internally cringed at his attempt of justifying himself. He saw the woman’s lips form the words ‘that’s fine but the university’s scheme is still an option’ before she sifted through several folders and placed four pieces of documents in front of him. Curious, he leaned over the desk to see a white permission slip that would enable his laptop to be open in all of his classes so he could run his dictation program, a dull yellow permission slip that would allow him to sit at the front of each classroom, his special timetable that told him where and when to go to his lectures and classes and a map of the school. He knew that the woman was talking but he didn’t make an effort to read her lips, choosing instead to stuff everything in his bag except for the map and standing up the same time as Mark did, bowing slightly in thanks. He saw the woman wave at him before he exited with Mark, the older telling him to be safe and that if he ever needed any more help to just find him around campus. 

 

But I probably won’t see him ever again…

 

Thanking and bidding the other farewell, Renjun tried to make sense of the map that he had in his hands, slight regret overtaking his being at not asking Mark where the exchange dorms were and at not just initiating conversation like a normal person. If he had…maybe he would have a solid candidate for something that he had never had in the past - a friend. However, as he wandered campus even more, Renjun found his resolve of finding his dormitory weakening, already pondering whether his luggage that he had shipped directly from the airport to his room had made the journey successfully yet. Scanning the people who surrounded him, his eyes landed on a tall but obviously shy stranger who seemed to not be the kind of person who would ignore his pleas for help if he had heard it.

 

Should Renjun [ask the stranger for help] or [continue trying to find his dormitory by himself]?

If you chose [ask the stranger for help], please continue reading on.

If you chose [continue trying to find his dormitory by himself], please scroll down until you see [continue trying to find his dormitory by himself] START.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

[Ask the stranger for help] START:

 

Taking a deep breath and not wanting what had happened with Mark Lee to reoccur, Renjun made the treacherous journey towards the stranger by himself. Once he reached the stranger, he noticed that the poor boy seemed frightened by his presence and he smiled softly, relieved to see the tension in the other’s shoulders slowly disappearing. 

“Sorry to disturb you but…do you know where the exchange dorms are?” He asked, hoping that his Korean pronunciation was enough and that the other had understood him. The stranger’s eyes dropped down to the map in his hands and Renjun took the time to glance down at the other’s hands as well, the exact same map resting there. When he looked back up, he saw the other’s lips form the words ‘that’s where I’m going too’ along with a slightly grateful expression that Renjun assumed was due to the fact that he wasn’t the only lost soul around here. ‘But I’ve been lost for the past half an hour’ were the words that the other’s mouth formed next and Renjun sighed internally before gathering up courage once more. 

“Mind finding it with me?” He asked and saw the other’s face light up, the stranger nodding along and walking alongside him in what they hoped was the right direction. He could tell that the other was talking and asking him questions and decided to tell the truth otherwise he would never be able to find friends during his years on campus. 

“I’m sorry but…I’m deaf,” He admitted, glancing shyly at the taller who stopped right in his path and stared at him in amazement. “I’ve been reading your lips but when we walk, I have to watch where I’m going and-“ He was cut off by the other putting up one of his large hands, the other hand reaching into his pocket to get out a phone and start typing. ‘Is this better then?’ the message not he screen read and Renjun nodded, grateful that the other didn’t look at him differently when he told him. He was met with the other’s small smile and yet another message that read ‘My name is Park Jisung btw. What’s yours?’.

“Renjun. Huang Renjun,” He stated, heart feeling light since it seemed like he had just found his first friend at that university. “I’m from China.” ‘That’s pretty cool! I got in through a program and the normal dorms were full so they put me in the exchange ones’ the latest message read, Jisung pulling his arm shortly after to get them walking. ‘I think we’re friends now, Huang Renjun. It’s nice to meet you :)’ was what was now on the phone that Jisung handed to him and Renjun found himself giggling, the vibrations moving his shoulders as he handed the phone back to Jisung. 

“Yeah, I think we are, Park Jisung,” He replied, smiling after and being glad that Jisung’s smile mirrored his own. The next message displayed ’Oh! Let me put my number in your phone! The only friend I have is Jaemin and he doesn’t count since we’ve known each other for forever - even if he is sweet unlike what people say about him’ and Renjun found himself chuckling at the other, taking out his phone and allowing Jisung to add himself, messaging the new contact after for Jisung to acquire his number. As they continued to walk, they continued to talk about the little things such as how Jisung wanted to perform on stage as a professional dancer and how Renjun wanted to become an animator, how Jisung likes his cereal to be a bit soggy so he waits for a few minutes before eating it and how Jisung needed friends because Jaemin doted on him like a parent. 

 

Even though he had someone who he could talk with normally, Renjun still found himself and Jisung lost for a good half an hour more, his stomach practically grumbling once they reached the set of keys near the dormitory entrance that was right next to the counter. Hastily grabbing the one under his name, he noticed that Jisung had taken the one right next to his, Jisung’s name sitting innocently right next to his own. 

“I guess we’re neighbours,” He piped up, pointing to the board and laughing outright when Jisung’s mouth dropped open and the other’s arms were winding around his frame. He felt the other’s breath puff against his hair but waited patiently for the other to realise that he didn’t have the ability to hear. When Jisung pulled back, he seemed quite embarrassed and typed on his phone, showing Renjun a message that read ‘Sorry, I said that I was grateful to have you as my neighbour so I don’t have to meet more people :)’. He giggled once more and let the other know that he was grateful for the arrangement as well since he still wasn’t very comfortable with letting people know about his disability for it could be a nuisance at times. He was met with another message from Jisung that showed a simple ‘:(‘ as they walked into the elevator and exited on their level. As he slid his key into his lock, Renjun was scared for a second when it seemed like his door wouldn’t open but sighed in relief when it did, his luggage sitting innocently in the middle of the room that consisted of his bed, some cupboards and drawers and a desk with a chair. He waved silently to Jisung who waved back, still struggling with his key but eventually getting his door open before he entered his new abode. 

 

He had spent a solid hour of unpacking his clothes and mundanely putting them into several drawers when he remembered that he had a friend now and wondered briefly if Jisung would mind going with him to explore campus a bit more. 

 

Should Renjun [message Jisung] or [explore campus on his own]?

If you chose [message Jisung], please scroll down until you see [message Jisung] START.

If you chose [explore campus on his own], please scroll down until you see [explore campus on his own] START.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

[Continue trying to find his dormitory by himself] START:

 

Shaking his head, Renjun decided that he could be independent and find his dormitory on his own, even if it was at the cost of friendship that he didn’t have. Trying to make sense of the map in his hands, Renjun eventually found himself in the exact same spot a few adventurous minutes later. He groaned in frustration before he tried again, taking different turns but swearing that he passed the same tree four times before someone tapped his shoulder from behind. Turning around, heart beating fast in fear, he was met with a stranger who looked at him shyly and passed him a map of campus that was in his hands. ‘Sorry to scare you but do you know where the exchange dorms are’ were what Renjun could read from the other’s lips and shook his head.

“Sorry, I’m looking for the same place and I’ve been lost for a while,” He admitted softly, looking at the ground but peeking up just in time to see the other’s lips move. ‘Oh. Well, do you want to come with me to find it’ were what he read and nodded, hoping that the other’s sense of direction was better than own. The other’s mouth began moving too quickly and all Renjun could decipher was ‘Chisung’ so he smiled as best he could and introduced himself as well.

“Nice to meet you, Chisung. I’m Renjun,” He said politely, the other furrowing his eyebrows before repeating his name. “I…I’m sorry, I’m deaf so I actually can’t hear you…” He muttered, hoping that the other wouldn’t really hear about his disability but luck wasn’t on his side for the other’s face lit up in surprise and the other had dug into his pocket to take out his phone, typing furiously on it after. ‘That’s ok!! I’m JIsung…it’s a JI sound, not chi’ the message read and Renjun sighed in relief since the other didn’t seem to treat him any differently now that he knew about his disability. 

“Sorry, Jisung,” He apologised and the other shook his head, instead motioning for them to start walking. ‘It’s okay, you have a valid reason’ was the message that his phone had, Renjun humming in affirmation as he kept walking.

“Still, I feel bad,” He insisted and saw Jisung chuckle at him, the vibrations moving through the other’s chest. ‘Come on, let’s just get to our dorms’ read the latest message on the screen and Renjun nodded in agreement.

 

As he didn’t expect, he ended up getting lost five times due to taking the wrong turns that Jisung took since he was following the other. However, instead of getting mad, Renjun found himself bubbling with excitement as he began to get to know the other. For example, now he knew that Jisung was two years younger than him and got into the university through a dance program, now he knew that Jisung was weird and liked cereal soggy and that Jisung had a childhood friend who went to the university named ‘Jaemin’. Apparently Jaemin was a sweetheart but the student body didn’t think so and Jisung wanted Renjun to meet Jaemin for himself. After many twists and turns, the two finally found themselves in the lobby of the exchange dorm, immediately going over to the board that displayed all the keys for the rooms next to the reception desk. 

 

“Hey, you’re next to me,” He stated, pointing to Jisung’s name and key that sat right next to his own and was met with Jisung’s bright smile. The other took a while to type on his phone before showing him a message that read ‘I’m glad :)’

“Yeah, I’m glad too, Jisung,” He replied and they went to the elevator in a comfortable silence, exiting at their designated floor and heading over to their rooms, both keys working fine. He could see his luggage in the room before a hand pulled him back, Jisung’s shy smile meeting his gaze alongside the screen of the other’s phone. 

 

‘Wait! Is it alright if I get your number? You’re kinda the first friend I have here and…well…Jaemin doesn’t count.’

 

Smiling softly at the other and his adorably shy demeanour, Renjun took out his phone and gave it to the other to put his number in. He saw Jisung’s face light up as the younger put in his number and when he got his phone back, he sent a quick text to the new contact, feeling overly happy when the other’s phone screen lit up. Without a second glance, Renjun went inside his room, noticing the bed, the cupboards and drawers, the desk and the lone chair surrounding his luggage and sighed at the thought of having to unpack. As he put his clothes in multiple drawers, he couldn’t help but admire Jisung and his passion for dancing alongside his courage to go to university a whole year ahead of the rest of his grade. Halfway through unpacking, he felt quite bored at the task and the idea of exploring campus seemed to be much more appealing to him in that one moment - but exploring campus with Jisung (his friend as Jisung called him) seemed much more appealing to him in that one moment. 

 

Should Renjun [message Jisung] or [explore campus on his own]?

If you chose [message Jisung], please continue reading on.

If you chose [explore campus on his own], please scroll down until you see [explore campus on his own] START.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

[Message Jisung] START:

 

Taking out his phone and clicking on Jisung’s contact, Renjun quickly sent a message that he hoped wasn’t too awkward.

 

To: Jisungie~

Hey, do you want to do some exploring? I’m a bit bored

 

He didn’t need to wait long for a reply since the younger replied almost immediately. 

 

From: Jisungie~

I was just about to message you!

 

From: Jisungie~

I messaged Jaemin and he said that he was proud of me finding a friend!

 

From: Jisungie~

If it’s not too much trouble, we can all meet in fifteen minutes?

 

Renjun stared down at the message, conflicting feelings swirling in his mind. He would be grateful to meet the other’s friend - Jaemin didn’t seem like a bad person with the way that Jisung’s eyes lit up when he talked about him - but Renjun did have his doubts since he was awkward and might come off a bit odd to Jaemin…he couldn’t hear after all.

 

Should Renjun [accept Jisung’s proposal and meet Jaemin] or [decline Jisung’s proposal and explore on his own]?

If you chose [accept Jisung’s proposal and meet Jaemin], please continue reading Chapter 7.

If you chose [decline Jisung’s proposal and explore on his own], please continue reading Chapter 8.

 

Chapters 7 and 8 will be updated within the next month. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

[Explore campus on his own] START:

 

Deciding against messaging Jisung, Renjun fixe his hair in the mirror next to the door that he had failed to notice earlier and felt his phone vibrate in the pocket of his jeans. Taking it out, he was met with a new message from Jisung.

 

From: Jisungie~

So uh…I talked to Jaemin about you (I didn’t tell him you were deaf!)

 

From: Jisungie~

And he wants to meet you

 

From: Jisungie~

Is it alright if we all meet up in fifteen minutes?

 

Feeling his throat dry up at the thought of meeting Jaemin, Renjun took a deep breath as he tried to come to a conclusion. Jaemin seemed nice - Jisung’s eyes had lit up with fondness when he talked about him - but Jaemin was also unknown territory, someone who could ruin everything for him at the university, if Jisung’s offhanded comment about the rest of the students at the university and how they didn’t view Jaemin to be sweet was anything. 

 

Should I meet Jaemin even if I trust Jisung?

 

Should Renjun [accept Jisung’s proposal and meet Jaemin] or [decline Jisung’s proposal and explore on his own]?

If you chose [accept Jisung’s proposal and meet Jaemin], please continue reading Chapter 7. 

If you chose [decline Jisung’s proposal and explore on his own], please continue reading Chapter 8. 

 

Chapters 7 and 8 will be updated within the next month.